We just spent the last 8 days at Beaches Negril with my husband and 3 children (girls ages 4, 5 &7). We have been to Club Med Ixtapa with the family 2 times in the past. We like the idea of an all inclusive family vacation so we wanted to try Beaches. Here is my review.
FOOD: Advantage Club Med!!!!!
The food at Beaches Negril was not very good. We were told by numerous travel agents that Beaches was a 'step-up' in quality over Club Med. NOT TRUE. Club Med has much better food. In Beaches, the breakfast was the best they had to offer. Good omelettes. But, the dinners were horrible. The restaurants were SLOW. For expample, we had 6:45 reservations for Kimonos and arrived on time. We didn't even get seated until 7:30. No food until 8. We tried all the restaurants and were not impressed with any of them. Club Med food is much much better.
ROOMS: Close, but, advantage Club Med.
The rooms in Beaches Negril are decorated nicely and they were clean. We had a suite with concierge service (worth it). But, all 5 of us were in the same room. So, no privacy. For a suite at Club Med you get a door to separate you and the kids. The rooms in Club Med probably aren't as fancy, but, that door sure was nice. So, I give the advantage to Club Med.
ACTIVITIES: Club Med by a landslide.
The activities at Club Med are amazing. They are on time and taught by instructors who enjoy working with kids/adults and make the whole experience FUN. Our experience at Beaches was not like this at all.
- Watersports: Beaches watersports guys were rude, late and their gear didn't work well. They did have stand-up paddle boards, but, noone can use them yet. (why? I don't know)
They had 1 sailboard with a 3.5 sail. The other sails were too big for the boards. So, that meant 1 windsurfer for the whole hotel?!?!? There was noone around to give instruction. So, there was always someone getting stuck way down the beach. The waterski boat would have to go rescue them.
The waterskiing was a similar problem. The boat for Beaches Negril wasn't working well enough to pull a slalom skier. So, they wanted you to just knee board or use two skis. Well, that's boring if you know how to ski!!!! So, there was always a bunch of ticked-off skiers. The whole experience was very frustrating. Not luxurious, not good customer service. Beaches Negril REALLY needs to do something about how poorly run the watersports is at this hotel!!!!
Doing water sports at Club Med was always a fun experience with knowledgeable, helpful instructors. The gear would work.
- Scuba: Beaches Negril did seem to do the scuba well. Everyone seemed pleased and the instructors seemed knowledgeable.
- Snorkeling: Beaches Negril did do snorkeling well. The boats worked and they were on time, friendly.
KIDS CLUB: Advantage Club Med!!
At Club Med the Kids Club is full of kids. They learn hip-hop dances that they perform on stage after dinner. They meet lots of friends and the kids have tons of fun.
At Beaches Negril there aren't that many kids that go to the kids club during the day (however more do go at night in Negril). So, the kids didn't have fun in the Club. Further, the instrucor in the 5-7 age group from Dec. 15-18 was not energetic or fun to be around. The schedule showed 'hula hoop contest' at 2:30. My 7 yr old loves to hula hoop. So, we all left the beach and went to the kids club for the hula hoop contest and my kids were the only ones there. The Kids Klub instructor handed the kids some hula hoop and went back to playing with her phone. Not fun.
BOTTOM LINE: We were all much more impressed with the quality of all of the services at Club Med.
However, I do want to note that we liked Jamaica. The beach was gorgeous. The water was lovely. The island was beautiful. The airport was easy. The cab drivers were kind and funny. We left the resort to go to watch the cliff divers at Rick's Cafe in Negril. This was super fun. Our 5 and 7 yr old even jumped off the cliff into the deep water. Kind of crazy but a fun and memorable experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Located on the widest stretch of Negril's seven mile white sand beach•Stay at one, play at two with full exchange privileges with Beaches Sandy Bay including a choice of 11 dining options•“Pirates Island” Water Theme Park with 4 slides, meandering “lazy” river and splash deck•Caribbean Adventure with Sesame Street themed activities with daily character appearances, parades and stage shows•Kids Kamp & Nursery with wide range of supervised activities•Interactive Teens Program with “Trench Town” Teen's Center and Teens' Coordinator to coordinate teen activities•Expansive Two & Three Bedroom Butler serviced suites•Supervised Xbox® Play Lounge with flat screen plasma TV's & Xbox® 360 game consoles•Beaches Resorts were voted “World's Leading Family All-Inclusive 14 years in a row•Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences•Six Star Diamond Award, Beaches Resorts – Keeping it Green•EarthCheck Platinum Certified ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Beaches Negril Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beaches Negril Hotel Negril
- Beaches Hotel Negril
- Negril Beaches Hotel