“Great family resort.”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Hi all you lucky people that are thinking of staying at this lovely hotel you will have a great time. As others have said it is not luxurious but a family resort if we went without the children we would stay at couples swept away.The beach was fantastic we spent everyday there we managed to get a shady spot every time but we did get our spot about 8 in the morning.The food in all of the restrants was very good and worth paying the higher cost of the holiday for ,the drinks were good aswell. We did think the evening entertainement could have been better but we were all in bed worn out by 10 in the evening.The watersports was good but the diving would have been better if they did not take as many people out at the same time and done different trips to how experienced you are.The best tip i would give everyone would be to take a high factor sunlotion we took factor 30 but had to buy factor 50 as we got sunburnt. We were also pleased we took insect repelent.

Room Tip: We had a great room number 412
3  Thank Flowertonic

Reviewed April 28, 2011

Beaches Negril was everything that they say in their tv advertisements. I am writing this review so that I can share some of my thoughts with those who have never been there. First of all we are a family of 5, two adults and three children ages 22 months (baby), 3 years old(toddler) and 12 years old (preteen). Before we go on any vacation or stay at a hotel I make sure to visit tripadvisor first to read what others have to say. It's helped me alot in decision making.

OUr trip to Beaches.....
When we landed at the airport in Montego bay there is a lounge especially for Beaches vacationers,they had beverages for you and a place to sit while you wait for the transportation to the resort. it was awesome, the special treatment started here. Elmo even stopped by to say hello to the children and take some pictures. My kids couldn't wait to get this vacation started!

*******************************************************************************************
A few things I would like to share, it made our lives easier......

1) Bring small bills. Tipping is prohibited but I don't see anything wrong with giving extra especially if you are receiving excellent service. Trust me generosity is always appreciated.

2) Make sure to take a potty break before leaving the airport the drive is about an hour and a half away but it goes by so fast because of the beautiful scenery.

3) watch out for the bus driver who tries to pull a fast one by intentionally leaving one of my luggages in the back of the bus, and asking us if we had all our luggages. (what the heck? he is the only one inside the bus unloading, he must have thought i wasn't paying attention because of these screaming kids who wants to see elmo now! We had a total of 6 luggages and each one of us had a backpack.)

4) If vacationing with little children, the Montplier building would not be a good place espcially if your family are light sleepers. It is next to another resort so at night time it is very loud with the music and you can hear the partying until about 2 am. Also ask in advance for rooms in the lower floors if you have a stroller. We ended up at the very top floor and there is no elevator so sometimes it was kind of scary going up and down with a toddler and a baby. since it was spring break, the place was fully booked(but didn't seem crowded at all) and they couldn't move me anywhere else.

5)Rent the cabanas in advance at least a couple of times while you are there. IT cost $150 a day but well worth it. you get a server that will bring you food and make sure your cooler is stocked with cold drinks. Naptime was awesome with my babies in here by the ocean and a nice breeze.

6)They have professional photographers all over the place they take candid and posed pictures. each time they take your picture they give you a bracelet. try not to loose them, you bring them to the photo store and they keep them in your own file so you can keep adding more. Take advantage of the free portrait sessions book ahead of time. I made sure to book for the very next day a family portrait on the beach in our cabana before we were sunburned, then a picture with Elmo, Cookie Monster and Abby Caddaby jumping hand in hand on the beach(my favorite picture of all!how many opporturnities will you get to be on the beach with these guys?) another portrait session in the garden with all the sesame street characters, and a sunset family portrait on the 5th day. At the end of the week, I paid $295 for 100 pictures on a cd. what a bargain!

7)Bring snacks and gum for you and your family. It cost almost 3 for a pack of gum there!
(chips, goldfish, crackers, gummy bears, lollipops and hard candies) they sell some snacks there at their gift shop but everything cost double or triple! Ziplocks are nice to have in hand and a soft cooler that you can fold to take with you at the beach if not planning on renting the cabanas.

8) If you have a baby or a toddler bring a baby bottle brush and a bottle drying rack along with a small bottle of dish detergent to wash your baby bottles and sippy cups with. I just designated one of the sinks in our bathroom for food and drink prep for my kids. There is a microwave in the room. and a small refrigarator stocked with juice, water, soda and beer. Make sure you have plenty of jar baby food with you and formula. they don't sell them there.

9)I bought one of those sea window raft from amazon.com for my 3 year old so he can go with us snokling and that was the best thing ever!

10) bring lots of sunscreen and bug spray!

11) Make all your dinner reservations as soon as you get there. Kimonos was yummy!

Have Fun! Can't wait to go back again someday and we will make sure to get one of those rooms that come with a butler!

6  Thank ThePhotoJourneyist
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We spent a week as three families with young kids. Rooms are pretty small if you have two kids. The beach is great, pools are OK but service is just horrible. Be prepared to fight for a chair on the beach or pool(we were leaving towels/toys overnight), wait 45 minutes for a hamburger or not be able to find a table in the restaurant. Staff is friendly but it does not help much when you are with a 3 year old, tired and hungry kid waiting in line for ever.
Just make sure not to go during high season. It was obvious that they just can't handle it when they are fully booked.

1  Thank dadwithsons
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We went for Spring Break with our three tweeners and four other families. The trip was all set up before I read the reviews on here. Good! Because we had a great time.

Jamaican Customs sucks on a Saturday during spring break. But it looks just like USA Customs coming into Washington Dulles airport for Foreign Visitors. It will take an hour, but there's nothing your hotel can do about this. It was about the same when we went into the Dominican Rep. two years ago.

The bus ride is windy and 90 minutes. We stuffed 26 people into a tiny bus going out, but had a full size touring bus on the way back to the airport. I took dramamine, so was half asleep, but it's picturesque. The driver expected a tip, but the good news is that was the end of our tipping for the trip. That was not the case at our only other All Inclusive stay at Dreams Punta Cana a couple years ago.

Check-in was done in the Concierge office. Took about 30 minutes, but the rum punch had us happy. I think the room we got is called a suite which is one room with a King size bed, a pullout sofa and a roll away. The room was clean, smelled fine and was big enough given that we spent about 8 hours a day sleeping and not a minute more in the room.

Our first foray at dining had me worried. We ate at the mill and they had many overdone or bland staples. But after that first meal, I came around. The restaurants always had at least one dish that was very good. At the Mill, always eat whatever is at the grill! The Japanese place was lively and the kids had a blast. At the Italian place, have the eggplant appetizer and the veal or fish. You can take or leave Arizona's and I didn't think our meal at Stewfish was all that great (but others in our party liked it). Don't miss an Omelet at the Mill for breakfast cooked by a young Jamaican lady who occasionally breaks into song.

Drinks are drinks in my book. I found neither the wait, service nor quality to be bad. Not perfect, but fine. They had Tanquerey and some other name liquors at most bars if that's your thing and a wide selection of island drinks. As noted elsewhere, one of the two pool bars was down for repair.

The beach was great. Lots of trees for shade, nice sand, warm water, a couple easy access bars. We played a little volleyball, snorkeled out to the wrecked ship, swam, etc.

All of our kids (ages 11,12,13) got Open Water scuba certified while we were there. We did the close water part of the cert at home and finished up at Beaches with the four Open Water Dives. We then dived for the rest of the week (at least some of us). I loved the diving, thought it was the highlight of the trip, but have nothing to compare it to. Others in our party that had dived before were underimpressed by the overall safety, but enjoyed the dives. If you want to dive, then you should get in line at 10 to eight in the morning at the dive shop. I heard that some people couldn't get on the dives because they were full. Being Spring Break, it was also about as crowded as the resort gets. They have all equipment and I found it fine.

We had to go looking for our kids and rarely saw them between 8am and bedtime. The Video room, Trench room, ping pong table, water slides, lazy river, ice cream bar, etc. were all a hit. If your kid gets bored here, you have a problem. I don't think the alcohol was controlled very tightly. Not a problem with our kids yet, but definitely something to think about for age 15 and up.

Kids would have a difficult time getting off the resort. My son tried to go the tennis courts where we were playing which are across the street out front and they wouldn't let him without an escort. The guards also wouldn't let people walk off the resort on the beach without signing out. By the way, Colman, the tennis pro, was a joy. The courts are a little beat up, but we played them every day.

There were salesmen up and down the beach, but a quick no and I didn't have any problems.
A lot has been said about service. We never had a problem. Most of the staff went out of the way to say hello. The concierge office was very helpful. The Hostesses at the restaurants and many servers were outgoing and friendly. Natalie at the scuba shop was awesome. The bartenders were probably the service low point, but eight hours of serving drunks in the sun without tips would probably cut my enthusiasm too. Meeting us at the airport gate and getting us on the bus when we left were also very nice touches at times where a hiccup could have soured us on the whole experience.
All five families that went also went to Dreams Punta Cana two years ago. We were comparing on the flight home and most would pick the Dreams locale. They felt the service was a little better and the upkeep a little newer/cleaner. I went the other way because I think there was more for the kids to do here and I really got into the scuba diving/snorkeling (which aren't so good in the DR). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort to a friend.

4  Thank LL_in_NoVa
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We went to Beaches Negril for a short fall vacation with our 9 & 11 yo at the time. The ground were really spread out, but signs were everywhere to direct you on where to go. It was very very clean! My kids loved the waterpark and my daughter loved the kids club! Food and drinks were excellent!
Room-clean and comfortable!
Waiters-wonderful!
Restaurants-very good!
Beach-wonderful!
Front Desk-Great!
We would definetly return to this Resort!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank beachvacationgirl
Reviewed April 19, 2011

It's not hard to write a good review when you leave Jamaica, that's why I thought best to wait a week or two. The property ( Beaches Negril) has fallen in disrepair in the last four years we have been going there. The maintenance and poor planning to start projects was a big disapointment. For example, the swim up bar at the main pool was under construction during spring break because they were building a pizza restaurant. The construction work was very loud if you were anywhere near this area. This should have been done during off season. The water spigots to wash sand off your feet were broken in several areas. The fitness center is in really bad shape and has been that way every time we have gone with very old, broken machines, only two treadmills and one was broken this year as well as last year. The beach was not nearly as swept up as it once was with a lot of litter and not much maintenance. Although we didn't dive we heard from others that the tank machine was broken which required going to Sandy Bay to get the tanks filled each day. The bar quality really went down too. It was very difficult to get a cocktail at night because of the crowd and few bartenders - usually just one and with all the teens around the bar, it was less than relaxing. This was the first year the choice of vodka was Finlandia or Smirnoff. Really, for the price we are paying (and it's not like we drink much) they could at least serve Absolute. This has turned more into a place for teens to go and drink (drinking age is 18) than for adults to enjoy. We went to Sandals one evening and couldn't believe the different atmosphere and cleanliness of the property compared to Beaches. Things never seem to get repaired, even after we pointed them out several times. I can't bellieve it is a lack of money (for what it costs to go there). Most of the staff are cordial and accommodating although the place has lost some of its luster. For my eighth trip to Jamacica and sixth time to Beaches I would think they would pay a little extra attention to us. The soon come back staff is there every minute until after you sign up then they forget about you. Last year we had them refigure our history of room nights because there was a problem with their accounting of this. This year it was wrong again and they had our history showing fewer room nights than what we had accumulated. Hopefully they have it straight now. We are locked in for next year ( because of the kids). Hopefully it gets back to what we remember.
All that being said, the staff is what we love most about the property. They remember us every year and we feel so welcomed. The staff at the Mill restaurant is fantastic including Marvalyn, Candice, sweet Gloria who makes great omelets and of course Novia. The food at the Mill is always delicious and we love being able to eat healthy every day. The man who brings food to the buffet, Errol Campbell is efficient and delightful. We also love seeing Lesmore who waited on us at the new restaurant Stew Fish. The security staff was also fantastic - they knew our girls and made us feel safe and secure when they were out at night. We had a disappointing start to this trip with our room situation being messed up (we needed connecting rooms to be next to our teenage daugher and her friend). The hotel accommodated us by moving us the second night but placed us in the 900 building right next to Couples and the bandstand area. VERY LOUD music would start up around 9 and last for a few hours. They offered to move us when we talked about this at the Sandals Select luncheon but at that point, we were settled. Fortunately we had ear plugs. As mentioned, as returning guests, multiple times, we would have hoped for a little more TLC than what we received. While at the SS luncheon, Belinda from the gift shop overheard us talking to another guest and she made a point of setting things right by putting us in touch with Daniela from guest services who did everything possible to make the rest of our stay very enjoyable including providing us with a cabana one day and inviting us to the Awards banquet for the Beaches staff which we were quite honored to attend. We love Jamaica and feel like it's a second home. Just a few things need to be stepped up at Beaches Negril.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Spent 5 nights at Beaches Negril Apr 7-12, 2011. Two adults and 7yr old girl and a 6 yr. old boy. Booked an Beach Front 1 Bedroom Suite. (two adjoining rooms)

This resort is an absolutely fantastic place to bring kids. I can't say enough about the place. The Beach is beautiful, wide with great landscaping as well as lots of shade trees. The Water park area is a kids dream, Two water slides, a splash park and lazy river (not lazy at all), next to a kids grill, serve yourself soft-serve icecream machine and cookies all day long.

The food was mostly excellent. The italian restaurant was Dad's favorite for the filet encrusted with olive paste, but the bone in ribeye at Arizonas was a close second.
The Buffet for breakfast is top notch. Dinner buffet is ok too but we prefered eating one of the other restaurants.
We got our dinner brought to our room for us the last night as our kids were too tired to move at 7pm. What a nice touch. Available in the conceirge suites. Its not room service, its take out, but they take it to you complete with dining ware, wine etc...

The food quality was very good. I don't know how people can even suggest it is bad. Maybe they load up and mix too many different things from the buffet and don't know what they are eating.

The staff for the most part are so helpful, and will go out of thier way to take care of you. One of the lifeguards, Alton, walked our 5yr old down to the beach when he appeared as though he wasn't feeling well, found us and let us take over from there. It may not seem like a big deal but it was for us.

We did try to tip a few people who made our days extra special, they actually said No thank you, they are happy to be of service. Its so nice to get good service w/o having to carry around money. Its actually becomes a tip that way.

We signed up for the photo shoot, (did it last year too). These are the best family pictures we get and for <$300 for 100 photos and you really can't beat the value. Our kids pose better when we aren't the ones telling them what to do.

Last year we went to Beaches Boscobel, really loved it too. In fact the water park at Boscobel is better, more slides, and much larger. The Beach at Negril however is far nicer, larger and has plenty of room and extra chairs all day long. Mom and Dad really loved lounging on the beach while the kids played in the water park, we could have our own time at Negril which made it a vacation for us too.

FYI -
Other reviews have mentioned horrible bugs. Honestly, my wife gets bit way more at home than she did at the resort! There were a few after dark, but if you tend to get bit a little spray is all you need.! Not a big deal that some have made it out to be.

They are strict about the height requirements of 48" on the water slides. Life jackets are required for all in the lazy river, which is not really lazy and a lot of fun. There are life guards at all the kid-water-areas.

Plenty of lounge chairs and towels on the beach, Kids pool area has the usual 7am-towel laden-chair hogs who seem to think they need to reserve a chair for each kid who will never sit on it all day long.

Cabana's on the beach rent for $150 a day and are a really nice treat. We rented 2 of the 5 days. We didn't need it but it was a nice treat. Full ice chest with beer, soda, water, juice, champagne....just ask you get it. Perfect place if you have babies, they can be out of the sun and nap while you enjoy the beach.

Snorkeling was great, our 6 yr old did it. Recommend the 9:30am trip as the water seemed to be calmer out there.

We didn't scuba dive this trip, I read the reviews of how it takes 2 hours to do a 30 min dive. That is true, they leave and get other resort guest before you dive. May not be a big deal for you.

In summary, This place is great for a family with kids. You will alll have a vacation to remember!

Room Tip: Book early and select a room with Concierge.
5  Thank sibyli
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
The Cliff Hotel
#3 of 80 in Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!