“Incredible Stay at Beaches Negril”

Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 81 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersGold level
Dayton, OH
“Incredible Stay at Beaches Negril”
Reviewed October 24, 2007

We arrived in Jamaica on October 4th, 2007 (Thurs) and after a couple hour drive from Montego Bay to Negril, we arrived at Beaches Negril. Immediately, we experienced a warm welcome from Courtney Reid of Beaches. From the very start, Courtney took us under his care and made our 4 day stay at Beaches PERFECT (thank you so much Courtney!!!).

We had our wedding scheduled for that Sunday and met with Andrea (our wedding coordinator) on Friday Oct 5th. Andrea already had everything in order and took all of our worries we brought with us from the States away immediately . We had 13 guests come down and the majority stayed at other Sandal properties, but everyone commented on how great Beaches was.

Our kids (4 year boy and 6 year girl) loved every minute of their stay. The Sesame Street parade on Thursday, the Lazy River, the swim up bars in the pools where they could order their own fruity drinks, the Kids Camp, the lovely beach and clear ocean water, the Character Breakfast, and the amazing staff that made all of us feel like we were in paradise.

We would like to send a special thanks to Courtney Reid, Andrea
(wedding coordinator), Iesha (sales coordinator), Ralston (grounds keeper), Luther (bell man), Sherilynn (Mill Restaurant), Edgar (Mill Restaurant), and Donna (Last Chance Saloon) for going above and beyond in every aspect of GREAT SERVICE.

Our wedding went perfectly only because Andrea's coordination. We had rain during our alloted time and Andrea pushed our time slot back several hours to provide us with a perfect wedding.The photography and video team were the greatest! A special thanks to Reverend Campbell for making our ceremony a truely memorable moment.

The resort is very well kept, but what truely makes Beaches a paradise is the staff. Everyone was extremely friendly and you could tell it was genuine and not a painted on smile. Also, the resort was very accessible. I have a form of Muscular Dystrophy, SMA Type 3, and use a motorized wheelchair. I was able to access almost every area of the resort and if I couldn't access an area, the staff was more than willing to help. They carried me up 2 flights of stairs to the Seville restaurant for the Character Breakfast, helped pick me up out of my lounge chair when I was sun bathing, etc. Also, I would like to thank Ken of Ken's wheelchair service for the incredible service of transporting my family to and from Montego Bay and Negril.

My advice would be get get an incredible travel agent, Hayley Whorrall from Beach Bum Vacations, and once you have your trip planned, go to Jamaica without any expectations. Let the Jamaican people welcome you into their country and whisk you away to Beaches where the staff will show you what living in paradise is all about. All that is required from you is a smiling face and a respectful attitude towards the beautiful Jamaican people.

M. Shane Hollen, Amy Hollen, Corrinna, and Jayden

• Liked — the people / staff
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Shane H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Thurmont,MD
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Let me start by saying we are your average, every-day family...nothing fancy about us.

My husband and I had stayed at Sandals, Montego Bay 8 years ago and loved it. We always wanted to go back to Jamaica, but something always came up, (mostly our child). I finally got the bright idea to take him with us and checked into the Beaches Resorts. It was the best decision I've ever made.

We stayed at Beaches Negril the week of Oct. 13th. As soon as we landed, we were escorted to the Sandals waiting area and had just enough time to use the restroom and grab a Red Stripe before boarding the shuttle to the resort. The trip, although 1- 1/2 hours long, seemed much shorter as the road was much improved since our last trip, and the scenery was beautiful.

Once we arrived at Beaches Negril, we were checked in immediately. We were taken to our room, which was a 2nd floor suite in one of the Montpellier buildings. It was spacious, clean and well appointed. Our refrigerator was stocked with water, sodas, juices, more Red Stripe, as well as tonic water and club soda. They also had a list of other "grown-up" beverages they would bring to our room like Beringer wines and top shelf liquors such as Sky Vodka. While I'm on the subject of the room, I'll mention that the housekeeping was wonderful. They made the beds, brought fresh towels every morning, re-stocked the fridge and provided turndown service. My son was thrilled to find an elephant made from towels every evening on our bed!

The staff was wonderful, especially our favorites, Stacyician and O'Ryan from the Activities Department, Nicole, Karlene and Tamika from the Red Lane Spa and MaryJo from the pool bar who remembered my husbands Creamsicle every morning. (He usually sticks to beer and vodka tonics, but what the heck...he was on vacation!) * Please forgive me if I miss-spelled anyone's name.* Stacy is a dynamo! Even though we are usually pretty reserved and not one to join in on something new, she had us up and playing group games in no time, which helped us meet others and make friends we otherwise would never had met.

I really didn't think we'd use the spa at all, but one day I decided to go in for a polish change. Once I entered the building, I was hooked! The smell of lemongrass and the tranquil environment was overwhelming. Tamika did a fantastic job handling the front desk and my technician, Karlene was absolutely wonderful! I highly recommend the exfoliation and massage package.

The pools, slides and lazy river were clean and fun, and the staff looked after everyone's safety. The beach and water sports were phenomenal as well.

The Seville restaurant was closed for most of our trip, which wasn't a problem for us as it adult only and my son would not go to the Kids Camp, but the other restaurants were good. We really enjoyed the Mill since it was mostly buffet and had a diverse menu. They even have one area just for kids. My son always found lots to eat on the buffet, but if you have a child that only likes chicken fingers, pizza or burgers, don't worry...they can always find plenty to eat either at the restaurants or by the water park.

The resort was beautiful, as you'll see from our pictures, but be sure to bring your Deep Woods Off. We have absolutely no complaints, but as I said in the beginning on this review...we're just your average every-day family.

• Liked — Friendly Staff/Service
  • Disliked — Having to leave
5 Thank ljrfish
Mesa, Az
Reviewed October 20, 2007

The was the first all inclusive resort I've ever stayed in and I wasn't disappointed. EVERYTHING was perfect except, as I said, it rained the entire time. We did have hurricane insurance but the weather man said it was ONLY a tropical depression storm. Having lived in the Bahamas for 11 years and in Florida for 25 years I knew it was a little more than that. True the wind didn't last more than a day but the heavy rain was throughout the week. Wish we could redo the week and if I ever come into a "windfall" I'll make sure to return! If you go and don't encounter the storms you will dearly love
it!!!

• Liked — The personal service from all of the staff, expecially Courtney Reid!
  • Disliked — Nothing except the rain storms
2 Thank Sharontri
New Jersey
Reviewed October 18, 2007

My Family and I went to Beaches to celebrate our honeymoon. It was my first time visiting the Caribbean, and I was not disappointed. Although many of the other reviews regarding the "bugs" (such as mosquitos, sand fleas, etc.) are correct, you couldn't find a more beautiful beach. I felt very safe on the beach with my 2 year old daughter, and the view was just amazing. We stayed in a lower level Beachfront room that had an amazing view. The people were very friendly, and my daughter thoroughly enjoyed the Sesame Street activities. While we did not utilize the Nanny Services during the day or the evening hours, I heard from many other individuals that they are wonderful. We truly had a wonderful experience all around, and we are looking forward to a return trip in the years to come. The only thing that disappointed me was that our bathroom had some funky mold growing above the bath tub, but, other than that, it was all gorgeous.

• Liked — The Ocean Views
  • Disliked — The Bugs
1 Thank Nayer5
North California
Reviewed October 16, 2007

The "family" pool area was a blast to hang out at. A nice pool with plenty of shaded chairs, a swim-up bar, burgers, pizza and ice cream 20 feet away, 2 real fun water slides and a very relaxing lazy river. What more could one want!! Oh ya throw in diving, snorkeling and sailing that I took part in, pretty much filled our day till cleanup, dinner and more drinking!!!
One negative--October is a very rainy month. We have been to Jamacia 3 other times, all in Janurary, a much drier month.

• Liked — water activities
  • Disliked — not following their published schedule
1 Thank capthawk
ohio
Reviewed October 14, 2007

Pros
Great staff (warm and friendly, but extremely slow service)
Good food at formal sit down dinners (2 hr meals)
Beautiful beach
fast and fun lazy river

Cons
Outdated rooms
pools too deep for young children
Although you go there to slow down, service moves at snail speed for everything
limited restaurants: japanese, one formal(no children), the last chance, pasta and pool are all one area...not really 3 restaruants, very misleading and very informal and fast food like.

Overall: been to several all inclusives in the past few years and this was a bit of a let down. Everything is run down, and staff is constantly apologizing for it. For the money spent, I am not sure we would return.

• Liked — some friendly staff
  • Disliked — run down property
  • Stayed October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank travelgirl111
New Jersey
Reviewed October 10, 2007

I like a detailed review, I want to know exactly what I’m getting into, so I’ll try to give you the same. I come to Tripadvisor for knowledge, not just “it was good”. Personally, I want to know why it was good, what worked, what didn’t, etc. So, I apologize in advance if I seem longwinded.

First, who we are: We’re a late 20’s-30’s couple with a nine year old son, and we chose this Beaches because we’d fallen in love with the Negril area of Jamaica, from visiting Sandals a few times. We wanted to show our son our favorite vacation spot. We’re not wealthy, or overly picky eaters, or even all that fussy. We like partying, and being social, talking to and meeting people from all over.

Arrival and Check-in: The airport experience is consistently good and getting better by the year. Customs and baggage is easy. Beaches/Sandals welcome you into a cool comfortable lounge, with clean bathrooms and cold drinks, till your shuttle is ready. Redcaps will take care of your luggage, and escort you to your bus (be sure to tip your redcap, and bus driver!!). It’s an hour and a half to the resort, but a pleasant ride.

They escorted us to a concierge room, and our check in was smooth as silk. The ladies at the concierge desk provided great, personal service, they answered all our questions. All our needs were beyond met, and even surprised us in our room with a fridge full of cold drinks. We had basic rooms, not concierge level, so this was an unexpected treat.

The room: Huge, clean and bright. Cleaned regularly, the housekeeping was fantastic. Comfy beds, the three of us were fine in a basic room, we weren’t climbing over each other, and we didn’t feel cramped, at all.

The Grounds: The property is enormous, for starters. The beach is very deep, lots and lots of beach chairs, shady spots, sunny spots, wide open sand. The water, when we went was very clean, but silty. Not exactly crystal clear, because of hurricane season, and the rains, it was churned up a little. The gardens were lush, and fairly well maintained. The pools were big, and mostly clean, though one day there was a lot of debris and dead bugs, but the next two days, we saw guys out there cleaning diligently. In fact, every day, we saw housekeeping cleaning and tending to stuff.

I have to talk a little bit about the layout of the place, this is one of the things that bothered us, might not affect most people, but everyone has different quirks. The main bar was near the amphitheater, and when the nightly “entertainment” (more on that later) was happening, you couldn’t hear a thing. Lots of sign language and “WHAT!?” There was nowhere really to sit and enjoy the evening bar, except down a walkway, somewhat away from it. The pool tables were very close, and standing around the bar, you were in danger of getting poked with a stick, or somehow interfering with the pool players. It was a very high traffic, loud, chaotic scene, and it was tough to get comfortable, and enjoy the evening. After the second night, we avoided it.

Navigating the main areas was a challenge due to the way the walkways abruptly started and ended, weird unnecessary steps, and no clear routes from one end of the property to the other. Some of the decks around the pool were uneven and very tight, it made walking around the pools a challenge, or even dangerous. Especially when stepping over shoes, toys, and toddlers. Also, around the pools, the chairs were crammed in, so close you were sitting hip to hip with your neighbor. The deck chairs often blocked paths and steps, too. It all just seemed like a disaster waiting to happen, and easily fixable. I think we noticed it more, since it rained a bunch, and the decks, walkways and steps were always extremely slippery. I hate to dwell, but it was a pain to go places, sometimes, and we avoided areas at certain times because of it. Didn’t ruin our trip, but I had to get it off my chest.

The water park was very cool, and kept us busy for hours, the water sports were also a lot of fun. The various activities were great, lots of fun little things like tie dying, hat making, cooking classes. I feel if there were more people participating, these things would have been even better. We seemed to spend a lot of time cruising around on our own. The xBox room (which we thought we’d never use) was a nice break from the afternoon heat, or a good place to spend an hour on a rainy evening. With the size of the property, and all the attractions, we were never bored, that’s for sure.

The Staff: One other bright spot of our stay, we loved the staff. They were genuine, friendly, knew us by name. The Kids Camp bunch was exceptional, and I felt very safe leaving my son with them to go snorkeling or play soccer. In fact, the whole resort was very safe, and geared for letting kids be kids, and doing things for themselves a lot. I really liked that. Everyone was good, and we felt very cared for, from the minute we were greeted at the door. Some people like Mark, Damon, and Scott at the pool bar, and Sharrie (I hope I spelled that right) at The Mill, the concierge girls, and the nannies, were exceptional.

The food: This was my one real complaint… I didn’t go on this trip expecting top-notch gourmet haute cuisine, but I was hoping for decent meals, at least. We were unimpressed by the variety; some of the restaurants advertised were just serve-yourself type counters. Disappointing, too, that our son couldn’t go with us to the Seville (since he so dearly wanted to eat real Jamaican food) and we got sick of every meal with French fries. We’re adventurous, healthy eaters, and we had a tough time finding good meals. There’s no authentic Jamaican food, no real local flavor, and that disappointed us, too. Sick of the same things for breakfast and lunch every day, and sick of the same two places for dinner every night. Desperation drove us to Beaches Sandy Bay, for dinner the last night we were there, and the food (and entertainment) was considerably better, by comparison. The best I can say is that it’s halfway decent kiddy food, I guess, and if you’re the type of family who can subsist on burgers, nuggets, and ice cream, then it’s perfectly fine. I must say, at the end of this trip, I was REALLY missing my home cooking. You definitely owe it to yourself to make friends with a bus driver (a good idea, no matter what, actually) and get him to take you to a good jerk shack.

The entertainment: Maybe we weren’t there on the right days (Friday-Tuesday) but we have better nightlife in suburbia, here in NJ. One performer played Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I think, and it was tiresome to hear the same act every night. Some of the shows were cute, like the circus act and the talent show, but I feel that this could have been better, overall.

Stuff that Beaches has no control over: You see it in every review, and here’s me backing it up. The bugs are pure murder. All day, all night, don’t go anywhere without a strong bug repellant. Off didn’t do it for us, we had to use a deet-based expedition type spray. I can’t stress this enough, between the sand fleas, and biting ants, and whatever else…you really don’t want to be caught without bug spray, it’s as important as good sunscreen. October is right in the middle of hurricane season, as well, so remember that. The water is choppier, it’s rainy almost every day (but it’s a NICE rain! We loved hanging out in the pool during downpours) and it’s more humid. The crowd…it’s off season, so the resort wasn’t crowded, which was a mixed blessing. The bartenders don’t seem encourage socializing, and it’s not a place for wild parties (or even mild ones). It was more like, stop by the bar, get a beverage, keep going. Felt strange, since other places we go have a pretty well developed social scene, and by the end of your stay you’ve made a million friends. Not really so, on this trip (for us at least…could be us, who knows).

Be sure to see Rick's Cafe, hit Time's Square for shopping, and grownups (who like rum) will love the Appleton Plantation combo!

Summary! It was good, not 100% perfect, but we had fun. No real dealbreakers. Our son’s first trip to Jamaica was a memorable one, and Beaches is outstanding for kids his age. The food and entertainment were lacking, but the staff and activities made up for it.

• Liked — Staff, attractions, rooms
  • Disliked — Food, layout of the place, entertainment
15 Thank Lilija
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Beaches Negril Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!