“Another great Sandals trip- this time to Negril”

Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We just received our 1 free week award for spending 70 nights at Sandals. This took us about 11 years but we finally got there.

Negril wasn't our utimate favorite but we really enjoyed our first visit there. The construction was a non event when we were there. We didn't even notice it. It was great for us because with less guests, the restaurants never had a wait and it was never difficult to get a great spot /chair on the beach.

The beach is long as they say in the promo's, but the majority of the time you wouldn't want to leave the resort boundrys except for maybe a quick run or visit to Hedonism II next door. (don't miss that) Nice to walk on.

I would swim the length + everyday. It wasn't the clearest or the most pristine, and a few minor jelly fish stings, but overall was decent. The snorkeling was really good( Reni the boat captain and his first mate Jason :-) and my husband enjoyed the diving everyday of the trip. Josh was a great divemaster. Although Whitehouse was a better experience last time since they were overly cautious about safety in Negril.

We loved our room, 20 steps to the beach near watersports, which we were frequent visitors. Thanks Gregory and Devon and everyone there for including me in the soccer matches and humoring me kicking the ball around.

It doesn't have a huge main pool and more of the butler guests seem to get the chairs set up for them early am. So you do have to get up early to score one. It would seem better that people should not be able to keep chairs all day when the may not even use them for an hour.
We don't do the pools so it wasn't a matter for us.

I loved the bars/barstaff and nightlife. Lois for bringing me drinks on the beach and Shaydana for smiling and putting up with me trying to create my own concoctions.

I loved that all the restauarants and bars (except Kimono's) were on the water and had outdoor seating and views of the ocean. A def. plus. The piano bar was fun, i wish they would have had that longer.

They had great restaurants. The Italian- thanks Christopher for being so fun- and of course the hibachi grill is always entertaining. We liked the french restaurant (which is the bayside during the am and lunch.) My husband recommends the rack of lamb. The returning guests dinner was so so . If we weren't getting an award, we might have skipped it.

The tennis courts will hopefully be redone- and leave a lot to be desired. We still used them everyday but again, no pro and cracks - Whitehouse had a better tennis program. We didn't sail much this trip because of the wind/lack of. It would have been nice to be able to enjoy that more.

Sandals seems much more customer service conscious than last time we went.

Overall I would recommend this place unless you are looking for a crazy big pool.
People/staff were great.

Room Tip: It's best to have at least concierge service so they stock your fridge with bottled water and re...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank kmchampage
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Thank you for your great review of Sandals Negril. We're so happy to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. It was a pleasure having you visit with us after so many Sandals vacations. We look forward to welcoming you back for another amazing vacation in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,654)

Reviewed January 12, 2014

My wife and I made another trip to a Sandals resort. We have been to many of the other Sandals resort but this was our first trip to the Negril location. We had an awesome vacation.

We flew Delta out of Milwaukee with a short layover in Atlanta. Everything went very smoothly. When we got to MBJ at about 1:00pm we ran into the longest immigration line we ever experienced. About 50 minutes later we were through the line (our baggage was waiting for us) and in the Sandals lounge. We only had a couple minutes in the lounge and we were loaded onto a shuttle for the trip to the resort. The shuttle pulled out in about 5 minutes which is nice; sometimes we’ve sat on that bus 30 minutes or more waiting to pull out. The ride to the resort was okay and took about an hour and thirty minutes. We didn’t make a stop, but we ran into traffic in one of the towns on the way which slowed us down about 10 minutes.

We arrived at the resort and had a quick, easy check in. That is where we met Warren, the Loyalty Manager. He’s a great guy. He showed us to our room. The first room he showed us was on the second floor but didn’t have a balcony. We wanted outside access, so Warren made a call and found an alternate room on the first floor for us with a patio.

After we were in our room awhile that day we noticed several small problems (that added up quickly). The biggest issue was absolutely no water pressure. We brought these problems to Warren’s attention and he put us in a new room a day later which was the best he could do. The new room was identical to the first one on the second floor, but with a balcony. This room was just fine for us and we were happy to be in it the rest of the stay. They were renovating the other half of that building and by the end of our stay those rooms were open to new check-ins and our half was being started.

Around the resort in general, we had lots of fun and hung out in several different areas. We were told the beach has eroded quite a bit, but the resort sits right on the beach now, which is cool. Most of the restaurants have outdoor seating including some seats near the beach looking out at the ocean. The resort didn’t seem too crowded to us. We didn’t play the chair holding game and were always able to find seats around the main pool that suited us. Getting seats on the beach or at the other pool was always easy. We had our pick of chairs, sun or shade, whatever we wanted. The only issue we noticed in comparison to the other Sandals resorts was the floaties being held by people on the beach. There were barely any at the pool. This hogging of the floaties just shouldn’t be allowed. If you are not using it, it goes in the pool for others. Plain and simple.

I’m not sure if it was luck or if that’s just how it is in Negril, but we had near perfect weather our entire trip. Clear skies and temps were in the mid 80’s. We had one day with some liquid sunshine (rain) but it was only for an hour or so. Not a problem at all since as we were in the pool at the covered swim-up bar.

We took advantage of the water sports activities. The staff working the toys (hobie cat, kayaks, paddle boards…) took care of us, but they sort of make you feel like you were inconveniencing them out by taking the equipment out. I used the hobie cat and paddle boards several times. It worked well taking the hobie cat out at windy/wavy times and the paddle board out when it was clam. I admit I swung past Hedonism to see what was going on there, but trust me you don’t want to see it. My wife went on the glass bottom boat ride and really enjoyed it; there was a lot to see.

I also managed to get to the fitness center most mornings. I limit my time there to 30 minutes a day, but I like doing at least a little something each day. The equipment there wasn’t overly elaborate, but they had the essentials covered: free weights, a few standard machines & cables, elliptical machines, treadmills and stationary bikes.

We visited all the restaurants except for Kimonos. A huge credit here to Mesha, he is the head chef of the resort. We had great meals everywhere we went. The one snafu was that we had to wait over 45 minutes for our food the one time we went to Barefoot by the Sea for breakfast. The food was great, but that is just way too long to get breakfast. All the other restaurants were great, particularly Cucina Romana. We ate there twice and loved it each time; I recommend the seafood linguine with a couple lobster tails. Norman, the manager took great care of everyone. Thanks Norman!

The only meal that was less than what we expected was the returning guest Sandals Signature dinner. The meal was good but the entrée was tiny (2 oz of beef and 3 small shrimp on a skewer). I honestly thought enough of the appetizers, bring on the meal. We had a very nice couple sitting by us, but even with that the 2.5 hour repeat offender dinner was just too long. I won’t be attending another one for awhile.

The best meal we had was probably the candlelight dinner on the beach. We won this at the manager’s reception; definitely worth attending. This normally costs ~$170. We would not pay that price, but it was an incredible experience. We had a special menu to order off of for our 4 course meal. Our entrée selections were lobster and lamb chops. The lobster was large and delicious and the lamb chops were outstanding. Shelly Ann, our server, was wonderful. She took care of all our requests and served the meal at the perfect pace.

We also walked to the Beaches resort. That place is fantastic. It’s about a 25 minute walk down the beach to get there. Beaches has a couple of fun water slides, I went down each of them no less than 15 times. Beaches also has a lazy river, my wife and I spent a couple hours in that. I realize the idea behind the slides and lazy river is for the kids, but they’re lots of fun for adults too. If Sandals were to include a lazy river at any of its resorts I’m guessing it would be a big hit. The X-Box video game room at Beaches was cool too, but I couldn’t justify spending more than a few minutes in there, sun and cocktails were waiting for me outside. To my surprise I told my wife I’d have no problem staying at a beaches resort in the future (we don’t have kids). Anyway, make sure you check out the Beaches resort if you’re at SN. It’s more than worth the walk.

Overall this was a great trip. I do wish Sandals had caffeine free diet soda available, that might have helped keep a pound or two off. Otherwise this place is pretty close to perfect. Thank you Mesha and Warren, your attitudes and efforts are easy to see all over the resort. Their leadership trickles down to all the staff and that contributed to our great trip. The playmakers also contributed to making our trip great were the playmakers Javid, Willie, Oshane, and Vanessa. My wife went home with several great prizes and loved winning at trivia. I just wish I could remember all their names, but there were lots of great staff at the resort. We also met a lot of wonderful guests. Why can’t everyone be so nice and friendly all the time, maybe because we’re not on vacation all the time?!?! I wish we were. What a great trip!

Room Tip: It's a great beach resort but some rooms face the road. Make sure you book the room type you wa...
7  Thank WiBy

Thank you for your review of Sandals Negril. Our friendly staff is always so eager to ensure that our guests have amazing vacation experiences and we're glad we were able to do just that for you. I will be sure to forward your kind comments to the mentioned staff members.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another great stay in the near future!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Sandals Negril is a great property. I highly recommend the swim-up butler suite. Our butlers, Mark and Orlando became part of our family and added to the comfort and entertainment of the trip. There is nothing better than having your large room, dining porch and swimming pool all together. We also want to give a shout out to Nickesha and Faithlynn for their friendly and personalized service at dining areas. We will be back for another relaxing and fun time.

Room Tip: choose the swim-up butler suite
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank jolene p
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you for your review of Sandals Negril. We're thrilled to read that you had a wonderful stay at our resort. Mark and Orlando took excellent care of you during your stay and we all hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

They were under construction. I had heard there were renovations, but my travel agent called and was told NO. But there was full blown construction. So walking down the beach you hear jack hammers all morning. (see pictures attached)

Friday Seafood buffet from 6pm - 9pm ran out of Seafood by 7:45pm when we arrived. All other restaurants were closed and you can not get room service without a Butler. We complained to the servers but nothing was done.

On other days, not all the restaurants were open. When you have 4 entrees to choose from you should not run out of one.

If you go to this resort you MUST HAVE A BUTLER. Breakfast from 9am - 10am. If you have a butler you get room service, otherwise it is not offered. You also need a Butler to get floating pads for the ocean / pool.

Requested shampoo on the 4th day - was told housekeeping didn't have any.

Did send an email to my travel agent, who contacted her Sandals rep and I emailed Sandals directly - no response after over a week.

Not worth what you pay. Geared to seniors as far as Breakfast, Manager's reception from 6pm - 6:30pm - what couple goes out that early. There were also a couple of families there.

Front line staff are amazing. Need a new Food and Beverage and probably Hotel Manager.

Room Tip: Make sure you are away from the construction which is in front of the beach volley ball net, near Ba...
5  Thank Gina C C
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Our stay was from the 26th Dec thru Jan 4th. It was our 5th time in Jamaica, third Sandals, first time at the Sandals Negril. To be honest, we decide to spent the holidays at this resort where we though it would be THE HAPPANING PLACE for the New Years Eve party. You know, Negril... Of course being said that we knew what Sandals were all about, couples.. average mid 40, We thought that New Years Eve party would have some pizazz. Like someone mention to us the next day, What happen, where was the pizazz, the big powwow. Limited on the food, "NO FIREWORKS" at the end of the countdown and the entertainment was really really lame. The sound for the band was horrible and the choice of music was even worst, and I like to dance and party. I was in bed at 12:15am. They really miss the boat on that one. Beside that, upon arrival, well receive with our concierge, brought us to our room in the Paradise Bldg that we had book with a balcony that doesn't exist anymore. You can't watch the sunset with the doors open until the end because the flies are starting to enter the room. Now that I have let all my negative out... I will tell you the positive, would I go again...in a heart beat. Just love the place, the food was awesome everywhere, especially the Italian and Kimonos. Superb Staff, from the front desk, Bartenders, Concierge...etc, they would call us by our name. Don't ask me how they can remember everybody's name but they do.I tip my hat to Christopher and Santana. They were wonderful. Facilities were very clean and prop, Didn't mind the local, they are just trying to make a living. I love the Jamaican so, I tried to support them if I can. The beach was OK...meaning that there is a lot of seaweed in front of the resort itself. Didn't mind being next to the Hedo...even went to check it out myself....mmmm interesting. You only live once! Ooohh by the way, you may think that this is stupid but not for us...They serve HEINZ KETCHUP everywhere....I know, now that was a first for us at any resort. But overall, had a great time, we had a good relaxing time, meant some wonderful people from the US and Canada. Like I said, we would diffidently return again under a different time frame.

Room Tip: At lease try to get a room with an Ocean view and a Concierge
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DanielMoncton
Reviewed January 7, 2014

As Diamond members of Sandals, we have been going to Sandals Negril for over ten years. We love the staff and their personalized, warm attention. The food is second to none at all of their restaurants. The one and only complaint we have is that they redid the rooms on the three story ocean front building. While the rooms are modern and clean, what were they thinking when they took away the balconies? The area where the balconies were has a table and chairs, a worthless bench and a chair. You can open the doors but the mosquitoes will fly in so you have to leave them closed. Why didn't they at least put in screens? We are seriously thinking twice about returning unless they upgrade our room to an ocean front balcony room in another section. We were very disappointed and so were a lot of other people. They are about to work on the 60 rooms that are not finished, and there is no reason why they can't turn that extra sitting area into the balcony again. SANDALS...PLEASE LISTEN AND PUT THE BALCONIES BACK INTO THOSE 60 rooms!!!!

Room Tip: Find a room with a balcony!!!
4  Thank soirie
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

This was my 5th sandals vacation and it is my favorite for the following three reasons:

1) staff- all of them were amazing. I would like to mention a few of the special ones. Christopher who walked us to our room was so friendly and helpful. Jeffrey at barefoot by the sea was so comical and entertaining. I looked forward to breakfast each morning just to see Kendra. She was a doll. Lois on the beach was so cheerful and has a hell of a memory to remember all those drinks without writing them down. Shashauna at the beach bistro was always happy and smiling no matter how busy she was. Christopher at cucina romana was outstanding. The best server ever. We went back a second night for dinner just to see him again.
2)food- sandals food is usually a 7 out of 10. This sandals was 9 out of 10. The food was amazing from the breads to the desserts. There wasn't one thing that i didn't like. My favorite was cucina romana. I compared it to becco in nyc which is my favorite.
3) resort- overall layout. Smaller sandals but yet you don't feel crowded. Resort was filled to capacity but yet the beach and the restaurants weren't packed. Beautiful beach. Loved our room (two story with spiral staircase). Never had to walk far to get to anything. Very intimate resort.
I NEVER go to the same resort twice but i will return here.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank davidania

We are so thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful vacation with us at Sandals Negril. It's great that we were able to meet your expectations the 5th time around. Thank you for continuing to spend your valuable vacation time with us and we're excited to welcome you again. Thank you so much for your great review!

Happy Travels!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
#8 of 81 in Negril
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!