“Our New Favorite in Jamaica!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Pennsylvania
“Our New Favorite in Jamaica!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

We headed back from a week at Sandals Negril on Thanksgiving. This is our sixth Sandals, so we definitely have a sense of what to expect. Sandals Negril is our favorite Sandals in Jamaica, having visited all of them aside from Ocho Rios. The resort is beach centric and well laid out. The staff is phenomonal and go above and beyond to make you feel welcome. I'll be sure to mention a few standouts throughout the review. First and foremost is Willie - he didn't arrive until a few days into our vacation, but he sure made a lasting impression. WIllie heads up the playmakers and his energy and charisma is contagious and you can't help but have a great time in his presence.

Beach
The water is warm and clear with powder soft sand. While there is some seaweed, they seem to rake it up and bury it. The water is very calm and pleasant to walk along. While the pool floats state for pool use only, many guests were using these in the swimming area and it made for a relaxing environment. The pool floats were a bit hard to come by at this resort - people seemed to hoard them to the point where they took them back to their rooms at night. This is atypical for Sandals. I'm not shy and had no problem grabbing one that was not in use.

Pool
The pool bar and bathroom renovations are complete and the area is gorgoeous. You can see the ocean and palms looking across the pool. The pool water was a bit cooler, but nothing you couldn't get used to. There were a lot of guests that preferred the refershing temperature. The hot tubs were warm and made for a nice change of pace in the evening. The bar staff would frequently come around taking drink orders.

Dining
We've had plenty of HIbachi over the years, but our dinner at Kimonos was our absolute favorite ever. Geon was our chef and he was fantastic. He managed to time his songs to his actions on the grill and had us all smiling. The food was fantastic and had a unique 'kick' to several of the choices. We had great meals elsewhere as well, but as we've never had a bad meal at a Sandals, I won't go into further detail. They've recently started to categorize meals as vegetarian, gluten free, etc, which I think is a great addition. Kendra at the Bayside buffet was always smiling and made us feel welcome every morning.

Nightlife
We had a blast every night. The playmakers and bartenders are first rate. We participated in a few contests and attended the nightly shows/themes. Along with Willie, I do want to recognize Javid, who was an enthusiastic host and went out of his way on several occasiosn to make us feel welcome.

Rooms
We had booked the Paradise building and loved our room choice. While half of this block is under construction it didn't bother us. The only inconvenience was having to walk around the building to go upstairs, when I believe we would have been able to cut through the middle. They have the area tastefully blocked off and we truly didn't notice it throughout the day. I am surprised they are removing the balcony in favor of a larger room, but the new design does look amazing! The rooms in the sundowner block also look nicely situated on the property.

Photos
I've heard complaints about the photo staff and I think its more of a misunderstanding. We politely would say no when not in the mood and they would never push us. I have to mention Dale here - he took some beach and sunset photos for us and he was great to work with. We ended up taking over 220 photos during our week and struggled to narrow them down to our favorites. I do like that they don't do the wristband thing anymore - it was easy as giving the photographer your room number. They quickly built these into a slide show for our review as we were departing.

One last mention is Andrae, the director of guest services. Our friends (this was our first time traveling with another couple) had an issue with their room location. While they were placed within the category they booked, Andrae worked with them to find a solution that met their concerns.

Room Tip: I would go with the Paradise Building or Sundowner.
4 Thank vucat
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Thank you for your review of Sandals Negril. We're thrilled to read that you enjoyed the delicious food, our great property and the excellent service of our friendly staff. We can't wait to welcome you back for another stellar stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,330)
  • Greek first
Caledon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

My first review ever...
We visited this resort November 2-9 with friends. At first I was surprised at how close to the road the resort is and at the size of the lobby compared to the other Sandals I have vacationed at....but what this resort lacks in grandeur it makes up for in hospitality. This resort was my favourite comparing to Sandals St. Lucia, Antigua, Bahamas, Grand Riveria...because of the staff. The staff are SO friendly and fun. Big shout out to Oshayne from the entertainment group, what a sweetie (LF). Loved Rayon's MJ dancing. Our butlers Kenrick and Jerry were lovely and professional. Kendra at the buffet always had a warm hug for us. The food was really great at the buffet, which was surprising as normally I am not a fan. The pizza at Dinos was to die for yummy gorgonzola. Every single person who works here is amazing. The facilities are very nice and there are plenty of activities if you wish to participate or plenty of chairs is you wish to do nothing. (They really need to upgrade these though). The water was warm and the beach, while small, is perfect. Sandals created a little oasis and you will feel like you are on a deserted island, not 50 feet from a road! Thank you Sandals for pampering my friends on their first vacation as a couple in 15 years, they absolutely loved it! The management at this resort should be applauded for allowing their staff to let their true unique personalities shine through! I can’t wait to return…

Room Tip: The two storey loft butler suites are dated, however the location is quiet. Ask for a room with a vi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cherry R
Thank you for your review of Sandals Negril. It's great to read that you and your friends had such an amazing time with us. We're happy that we were not only able to meet your expectations but exceed them as well.

We can't wait to welcome you all back for another fantastic experience.
Clermont, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

My wife had a really great time...a great beach! Activities like snorkeling and the glass-bottom boat were well worth it. Staff was friendly, witty and helpful. The food and beverage were super...the bar in the room was well-stocked.

1 Thank Ackee7
Thank you so much for your review. I'm so happy that we were able to make your stay an amazing experience!

We can't wait to welcome you back!
Green Brook, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

My husband Joe and I recently returned for a fabulous week’s vacation at Sandals Negril 11/13-11/20)! This was our second visit to this small, intimate couples-only resort, having honeymooned there 16 years ago. Once again, we can’t say enough wonderful things about the people who work at Sandals Negril. Their happy demeanors and friendly smiles are infectious and they give the warmest hugs. In short, they “made” our vacation and they do the same for all who visit with them.

From the moment we arrived at Sandals Negril, we were greeted in most welcoming and friendly ways by staff members we met at every turn. From those at the front desk to house and groundskeepers we passed every day on our way to and from our room – they all had warm smiles and friendly greetings to share with us. At the beginning of our stay when we were “new” guests, each time we went to a restaurant or activity, we were asked our names so that staff would become familiar with us. From that point on, each time we returned, our host(ess), servers and other staff would refer to us by our names, which made for a very personal feeling of belonging to their “family”. We found this to be true of so many of Sandals’ staff members, but most especially Kendra and Norman at Cucina Romana. They are the consummate hostess and host, respectively. Kendra’s smile and laugh are particularly infectious, and although Norman is a bit quieter, he is a most professional and graciously warm host, both of whom we enjoyed tremendously. Kudos and special thanks to Kendra and Norman. I brought along my usual travel buddy – a stuffed green frog named Philippe – and he was a “hit” with the entire staff, each one making special efforts to acknowledge and fawn over Philippe just as they did us . Our Cucina Romana servers Shernette and Jodi-Ann were both so pleasant, sweet and most attentive, and we also enjoyed server Christopher’s attention as well. While enjoying a lovely meal at the Cucina one evening, new chef Michel came and introduced himself to us and politely asked how we liked the cuisine. It was nice to know that he was interested in receiving feedback regarding the fare, especially since he advised us it was only his second day working there. We told him our meals were delicious, especially Joe’s lobster dish, which became a favorite throughout our stay. The Cucina Romana also has a fabulous daily lunch buffet which you can eat at the restaurant (right on the beach) or take it “to go” and enjoy it back at your shaded lounge chair on the beach.

We enjoyed the sumptuous breakfast buffet almost everyday at The Bayside and were always warmly greeted by Kendra, who knew exactly where we liked to sit and made sure that everything was to our liking. Natoya painstakingly cooked our eggs “just right” each morning and we received the devoted attention of Pauline, Jodi-Ann, Melisha, Philip and Floyd on a number of occasions, each one with their own warm smile and greeting.

Kimono’s chef Napolean is quite a character. He kept us amused and entertained throughout dinner with his juggling and hibachi preparation skills, all the while singing and telling jokes. Dinner that evening was even more memorable because the four other couples that we shared the table with really “clicked” and we enjoyed talking throughout the meal. Afterwards when we were ushered into another room for dessert, we pushed all of the individual couples’ tables together so that we could continue enjoying each other’s company. It was great to see these same couples over the next few days at various other locations and to catch up with them on their plans for the day and newest activities and adventures. The nicest people can be found at Sandals Negril.

Dining at The Barefoot was a real treat. Feeling the powdery soft sand under our feet was divine and made for a fun dining experience that we will not soon forget. Melisha, Sashelle and Faithlynn were favorite servers – always so joyful and willing to please. On one special evening, our server Jeffrey entertained us with his hidden talent – balancing objects on his head! First, he balanced a wine bottle atop his head while showing off his smooth dance moves. He even balanced and served me my bowl of soup from atop his head – what fun! Not to be outdone, Shavon joined in by challenging Jeffrey to top him as he balanced a wine bottle on his head while displaying his martial arts moves! These guys were a blast and made for a very memorable evening. A moonlight dining experience not to be missed! Likewise for the Cucina Romana.

Sandals Negril definitely provided the much-needed respite we were hoping for having recently “survived” the stress and drama of our only daughter’s wedding.
Although there are many activities to do and outside excursions in which to participate, our preference this trip was to enjoy many relaxing hours on the beach and in the ocean. Lois was always making the rounds with her pleasant greeting and smile while delivering cool and refreshing libations beachside. We admit to savoring many a Bob Marley (cool and refreshing) during our beachside chats with newfound friends.

We enjoyed kayaking on a few occasions, observing the many sea stars and other underwater life as we glided along the beautiful, clear ocean. Although there was some seaweed in certain areas of the water (close to the shore ) which seemed to be a favorite hiding place for sea urchins, much of the underwater footing is on sand. I would recommend wearing water shoes in any tropical waters in order to avoid stepping on sea urchins and other sea life that might cause painful stinging. We also took a glass bottom boat ride and I went on the big red tube ride twice. The staff members who provided these safe and fun excursions were most pleasant and the guys on the glass bottom boat shared some funny stories too. They even dove in the waters and brought up a large sea star for all to see and hold up close and personal. Paddle boarding was not something I’d ever done, but Robert and Big Papa showed me how and I felt confident to give it a shot. Boy was it fun! Try it – you’ll like it! The best part is that I didn’t fall off and enjoyed it so much that I paddle boarded almost every day. Also, you can’t beat the view of the sea life below. Hobie Cat sailing was not something we’d ever done before but it looked like something we would like to do, so Robert took us out on a lovely adventure around Booby Island, providing us with instructions should we decide to take it out on our own. Some other water sports available included wind surfing, water skiing, snorkeling and scuba diving. For an additional fee, you can take scuba lessons and even get certified in scuba!

If you’re concerned about safety issues, Sandals has security officers patrolling the beach every day, although we never felt any uneasiness or harm during our entire stay. For a nominal fee, there’s even a van transport available every day that will take you door-to-door from Sandals to Rick’s Café, a tourist favorite, to watch the cliff divers and enjoy the beautiful sunsets, which we did during our stay. You can also book excursions to Rick’s on a catamaran. Local vendors, approved by Sandals, set up their wares along the walkways so that you can purchase jewelry, carved figurines, etc. without having to leave the premises if you so desire. Purchasing gifts from these locals craftsmen helps support the Jamaican economy. However, there is also a local craft market just outside the premises that several guests visited with no security problems.

We utilized the Concierge services and found Paige to be especially helpful in making dining reservations for us and answering our questions. Nateana at the front desk made our check out quick and easy, and Tayshian (Soon Come Back) was pleasant and well informed during our transaction with her. In fact, she helped us book our next trip to Jamaica – Sandals Grande Riviera in 2014. We can’t wait to come back to Jamaica and its lovely people.

The Zinc Reggae Band and Reggae DJ provided some truly fun music one evening on the beach. The young staff members who attended were a joy to watch as they danced to the music. They made the evening so much fun for all by encouraging guests to get up and dance with them. They were so gracious and sweet and were wonderful teachers who were patient and kind in showing guests how to catch on to many new line dances and dance moves so that we could have fun too. And dance I did! I was feeling the music and the desire to join in the fun so much that I removed my sandals and danced the night away, barefoot in the sand. Of course, I “paid for it” the following morning when I awoke with two nasty blisters on the bottom of both big toes – soooo worth the fun though!

Our housekeeper did a fantastic job of keeping our room clean, leaving pretty towel animals and rose petals on our bed every day, and ensuring that an ample supply of clean towels was always in our room. Constant efforts were made by staff members to keep the grounds clean and the property well maintained. Aside from the obvious renovations that were going on while we were there, we took note of painters who painted roofs and outside closet doors, and the groundskeepers who were constantly raking the sand, sweeping the walkways, cleaning the outdoor showers, washing floors, as well as Sandals on-site photographers who were always watching out for special moments to catch on film, etc. These hard working people often greeted us with smiles and pleasantries as we passed by. We were even serenaded by several staff members on our transport van as we were getting ready to leave for our ride to the airport. Such a treat! We miss them all already.

Sandals Negril -- You’ll fall in love with the people…………. “Soon Come Back”

1 Thank hjdoll
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

We visited November 21-27, 2013. This was our third trip to Jamaica, our second to Negril, and our first to Sandals Negril. Two words sum up our experience--"absolutely amazing!" The property is well maintained and our room was spacious, comfortable, and kept clean by housekeeping. We had a two-story and the balcony provided a wonderful view of the beach and ocean, with breathtaking sunsets. We had a small issue with the upstairs air conditioner that was not cooling adequately, but as soon as we informed staff, it was immediately corrected. And let me say that the staff is what sets Sandals Negril heads and shoulders above other places. They are genuinely warm, friendly, and accommodating. Kudos to Kendra (breakfast buffet hostess), Samantha (dinner hostess/dancer), and Warren, who set us up for the next Sandals visit. We had the butler service for the first time and I cannot imagine ever being there without it. Our butlers, Denato and Sean, were awesome! They anticipated our needs and desires and looked for opportunities to please us!! They reserved excellent spots for us on the beach and by the pool, brought us lunch and snacks without being asked, handled all of our dinner reservations, escorted us to the restaurants, and did so much more! The food was great! The breakfast buffet satisfied every craving and the Jamaica night blew us away! Kimono's was our favorite restaurant--the food and service was outstanding! If you eat at Cucina Romana (Italian) and are fortunate enough to be served by Christopher, you will not be disappointed. The entire experience was amazing and we can hardly wait for a return visit, but it will have to follow the next trip to Sandals Emerald Bay in the Bahamas.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kenneth Y
Thank you so much for your review. We're so thrilled to read that you had such a great stay with us at Sandals Negril. I will be sure to let our staff know of your kind mention. They will all be proud to know how much they contributed to your amazing experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again for another fabulous stay!

Have a great trip to Sandals Emerald Bay!
Medford, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I traveled here with a humanitarian group, Great Shape! Inc. Sandals Beaches in Negril gracefully hosted us. The resort is amazing. The food was some of the best I have ever tasted.The staff is amazing. I wish I could remember all their names. Kenton was one of the best. I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank LJacquelynnW
We're so thrilled to hear that every moment of your stay at Sandals Negril was an incredible experience. Thank you for your review.

We can't wait to welcome you back!
Langley City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

The staff at Sandals Negril were friendly, helpful and help make our stay, wedding and honeymoon great. The Wedding staff lead by Giselle were not only helpful but ensured our day was perfect. The food was great, the restaurant staff were warn friendly and made the dining truly
romantic and beautiful. One of the servers Sasshelle was a complete delight, both my wife and I truly loved her. Our two butlers Mark and Orlando were very warn, funny and very helpful, they decorated our room on our Wedding day with rose peddles, candles and tower are which was very fantastic. Now that I have stayed at Sandals want to go back again no other Resort can compare.

Room Tip: At least a concierge room to get the better room and service.
1 Thank Garrybev
Thank you for your review of Sandals Negril. We're so thrilled to read that you had both an amazing stay and a wonderful wedding with us. It was an honor to be a part of your special moment and we're glad we were able to make your stay so enjoyable.

We hope to see you back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,159 reviews

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!