“Good Trip to Negril”

Ranked #10 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Dallas, TX
“Good Trip to Negril”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Spent a week at Sandals Negril (6/17/13 - 6/23/13) with my wife. We stayed in a Honeymoon Penthouse Beachfront One Bedroom Crystal Lagoon Suite on the second floor of the Sundowner Building. The room was great - had a great view off the balcony, bed was comfortable, AC worked great, etc. The only negative regarding the room is that we could hear a dog barking from the property next door several mornings, though I wouldn't count this as too much of a negative.

The butlers (Mark and Damian) were phenomenal. Friendly, always happy, helpful, etc. I can't say enough about them as they, by themselves, made the trip a success. In fact, they gave us a hard time about not letting them help us enough. You do pay for the butler service, but you get value for the extra money - always have a reserved beach chair with a cooler, always get reservations to the restaurant of your choice, they're always bringing you drinks and/or food, etc.

The food was fine. Not exceptional, but we had some good meals. We enjoyed both Kimonos and the Italian restaurant. Our favorite was probably Sundowner. The pizza, patties, and fish at the grill were good.

We spent a lot of time on the beach. The beach is thin, as noted by many people on here, but it didn't bother us. I was more bothered by the small roped off swim areas. That was resolved by a fellow guest who wasn't too skilled with his catamaran (he ran through the rope, which didn't show up the rest of the week. I give a thumbs up for the beach.

We also enjoyed the water activities, and snorkeling in particular. We did the night snorkeling trip with Renji, which was great. Smiley was also an entertaining snorkeling captain.

The two off resort activities we participated in were: (1) the zipline tour in the jungle, which was our favorite; and (2) the catamaran to Rick's Café, which was OK but no need to do that again.

All in all, we had a great time. I think the price is a little high for what you get, but it's hard to complain given that we had such a good time.

4 Thank WhiterockHorn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,415)
  • Greek first
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Pros:
-I LOVED that the resort was literally right on the beach, most of all the restaurants had a great view of the ocean. Food was ok but not terrible. Service was better in some restaurants than others.
-Nice decor
-Friendly staff
-Clean
-Great night entertainment
-Enjoyed the free water sports.
-Great security

Cons:
-Rooms were dated and small but still decent. We weren't in the room all that much anyway.
-Overall it felt like spring break, not very intimate/romantic especially when you went out at night.
-The pool with the swim up bar was usually full of obnoxious drunks and the 2 other pools were too small, I felt like I was right on top of everyone else.
-The beach was nice but crowded. You will get pedlers walking up and down the beach all day trying to sell you stuff. The peddlers didn't bother me as much as the amount of people on the beach, you have to get up early to reserve a chair. As long as you ignore the peddlers walking up and down the beach they will not bother you and the security guards do a great job of moving them along, I actually enjoyed watching them so I coulld take in the culture as everything within Sandals is so Americanized.
-Photographers are super nice and our picures turned out great but they can become a little bothersome when you are trying to relax and have some privacy. Felt like paparazzi was following us around...
-Spa: Nice and relaxing but I have had better. The pedicures are a joke, don't waste your money. The massage was nice but I would recommend requesting deep tissue or sports massage if you want to feel it.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We got married June first 2013 and booked sandals Negril for our honeymoon. We LOVED it! we had a butler suit and we had Tavia as our butler. Tavia is AMAZING!!!! we returned to the room one evening and there was a bath in out whirlpool bathtub all made up with bubbled and flowers and champagne in a ice bucket! flowers on the bed it was unreal! she made all of our dinner reservations for us and got us amazing seats every night!
She reserved our beach chairs and brought us a cooler full of nice cold drinks for on the beach.
When we went off the resort she met us upon our return with drinks which was so nice! she made our trip special and I loved spending time with her.

I loved all of the staff at this resort. There is a man named Christopher who works in the restaurant who is so much fun he is bright funny and charming!
I liked this cute lady at the morning buffet you could hear her a mile away and she was off one day and it really felt like the whole day was off cause we didn't start our day with her.

The two men that do the glass bottom boat tours and the snorkeling were amazing as well!!! they made me laugh so much and were very well informed of all the sea creatures around.

There were really nice guys at the end of the beach doing the water activities. The one guy helped me learn to stand on a surf board and paddle. I was not very good at this but he kept encouraging which was so nice!

we went on water bikes, we went tubing it was such a fun trip.

I loved Ricki the guy who would sing while raking the beach! and the cleaning staff was so nice. We had the sweetest lady. She warned me when she had a day off because she knew I would miss her smiling face and our chats.

I would recommend going to kimonos and asking for giani he is very talented and his singing and stories warmed my heart.

I met a lady named princess too and she was so nice. There are so many amazing people I feel bad if I forgot anyone.

At the end of the day this was the best trip I have gone on and I have been to many places. I don't know where my next trip will be but the bar is set so high now its crazy!

Oh and lastly the photo shoot. We got pictures taken and no they were not cheap but my goodness do they ever look good! Mandela was our photographer and he was funny, honest and talented.

oh ya and one more thing lol the security guard at our end of the beach was amazing. We spent a lot of time with him. I wish him the very best and we thank him for showing us the ropes in Jamaica!!!

and that was our trip. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: we were in room 6208 I forget the building name. it was quiet with the most amazing view of the ocea...
4 Thank kristin g
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We did tons and tons of research on sandals as we had heard alot about it. Skeptical like most, but in the end we ended up booking it, ignoring the bad reviews thinking the good ones outweigh the bad. Don't make the same mistake! Let me tell you, it is average at best and definitely not worth the amount of money you will be paying.

Nothing special that any other all inclusive wouldn't give you at a fraction of the cost. Be forewarned, don't be mislead by all the good reviews. Many of these people are just glad to be on vacation and anything would be good. Don't get me wrong we had a great time as well, as we are on holiday too, but it would be unjust to just give a good review because your vacation was good. The review should be focused on the resort and the experience. And here is mine:

Sandals negril is very much like spring break, so if ur looking for that your gonna have a good time.

-Food is bad/terrible, full of flies everywhere and not authentic. Only good restaurant is sundowner.
-Rooms are dated, however we did have a relatively clean room. Nowhere close to five star though
-Resort in general is very generic
-annoyances include photographers taking your picture every day, and the packages are absurd prices
-lots misleading info from what the site says vs reality, without getting into detail, would suggest you double check everything and question any discrepancies.
-butler service did not wow as the website states, infact it was not much more than room service. Butlers are shared between many couples and are limited in time as to what they can do, although they will not tell you that, and will always serve with a smile, that is the reality.

The things they did good:
-entertainment is good and the entertainment crew are fun and keep the people engaged
-water sports includes things you wouldn't normally get without having to pay extra such as sailing, diving, water ski & tubing.
-the staff are really what make this resort a success. They are always friendly, helpful and happy!

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank ExpensiveTaste1
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Awesome resort. Will be returning. Darron and basil the butlers were amazing. And the food and service was top notch. And we have been to many other places. Simply the best. The bay sandals is in is like glass almost all the time. Great for water sports and lounging.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Vigen21
Plymouth, Indiana
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at Sandals Negril for our honeymoon in early June, 2013 and LOVED it! The staff is beyond amazing…the beaches are beautiful and clean…the food was great…and the only thing we hated was leaving!! We had a concierge level room and received a complimentary upgrade at check-in to a two-level suite – it was great! We tried all the restaurants except Barefoot by the Sea, because I’m not a seafood fan…and we thought everything was really good! Our favorites were the Sundowner for dinner and we ended up at the Beach Grill most late nights – hubby loved the JJ wings! There was a lot of variety and something to please everyone. Definitely order a Miami Vice at the bar – had one or two of those while we were there . We didn’t have one negative interaction with any member of the staff while we were there – everyone went above and beyond to make sure you were taken care of and happy! We both commented that it didn’t even appear they were able to have a bad day…let alone a bad moment – excellent service! My husband went on 5 dives while we were there, between us we went snorkeling 6 times and took a kayak out once. The water sports staff was awesome and they were probably our favorites to interact with. We didn’t do many of the organized activities, but there was some sort of entertainment every night, games at the pool, etc. We were there to relax after the chaos of the wedding – and we were able to spend our days as lazy or as active as we wanted to! We loved our stay, have no complaints, and can’t wait to go back!

5 Thank Kristen F
Chetek, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Can't beat the dive team from the Boss Barney to the boat capt. Mackintosh. Every thing is thougherly gone threw Safety is there main concern. The small beach grill is none better,the staff are always happy and helpful,the only thing I didn't care for was trying to use those small packets to get mustard ketchup out of,your hands are wet and it is impossible to use. Also I think they are getting cheap on real Ham,no more of the real thing on a bone just pressed meat. Pizza is also good .but you can't get Itailan sasauge on it.
and of course The butlers all are great but you can't beat Dinoto and Shan. Tennis with Shelden the pro is a best kept secret To bad the practice balls are so old Airport transfer is not the best they will put in a bus and let you sit in the HOT sun and wait for more people to come in stead of letting you stay in side till the get everyone on your bus ready to go.

3 Thank Brian c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
#1 of 1 in White House

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!