“Love this resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 88 Hotels in Negril
Bordentown, New Jersey
“Love this resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a very beautiful resort. The people are very friendly and helpful. This was our second trip to this location and we will definitely go back. The sunsets are gorgeous. The only thing we weren't too happy about was the food at the lunch buffet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Smiley11_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,219)
  • Greek first
Wilsonville, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I just got married and honeymooned in Negril, Jamaica. We stayed at the Beaches Resort for the first 3 days since we had our kids with us for the wedding ceremony. Then we were whisked off to Sandals for our honeymoon. We absolutely loved it there and it was the perfect honeymoon for us. We got a butler suite which in my opinion is the only way to go if you are looking for perfect relaxation. They bend over backwards to make sure you get everything you need when you need it. They made restaurant reservations for us every night, booked excursions, and nearly every night we came back to our room with a steaming hot bubble bath waiting for us. They also brought us drinks or while we sat on your reserved beach chairs. Our butlers were Mark and Orlando and I actually cried when I had to say goodbye. They were wonderful guys and I miss them!

We got the beachfront honeymoon suite and it was amazing! Everything in there was top notch and elegant. We didn't spend a whole of time in our room but it was a nice retreat from the heat every once and a while. The food really surprised us in its quality. This Sandals has 7 restaurants, 2 of which you need reservations for. Cuchina Romano cooked our wedding dinner for us. It was a special menu that we could have had cooked at 3 of the restaurants but we were very pleased that we chose Cuchinas. It was one of our favorite meals. The steak was cooked perfectly and the service was fantastic. Our other 2 favorite restaurants were Barefoot and The Sundowner. Both had fantastic service and great food. Faithlyn was our server the first night we were there and she was great! Sandal Negril also has a pizza place which is super good, the Beach Bistro with burgers and sandwiches that is open all day and night (I recommend the BG&C), The Bayside which serves a buffet for breakfast and lunch. It serves a sit-down dinner as well but we never ate there. Last there is a hibachi grill restaurant, Kimonos, that was pretty good. I actually wasn't over impressed with the food itself, it was good quality but everything tasted the same to me, but the entertainment was great. Our chef was Geon and he was fantastic! Sandals also has several bars open different hours throughout the day so there is always alcohol flowing. Our favorite was the Beach Bar where Leroy was always there to great us this a smile. The only complaint we had as far as drinks were concerned is the lack of mint. Our favorite drink is the Mojito and they were having a hard time keeping up the demands of the mint. Bad crop this year due to the drought or something along those lines. Can't hold that against them but it was disappointing.

The atmosphere was good here. It was very quiet where our room was at the end of the resort. But if we wanted to dance the night away we could go to the Piano Bar where the DJ was always spinning at 10:30. They also offered entertainment every night from dance performances, steel drums, or game shows. We also participated in a small blackjack game. I actually won and the prize was a complimentary Amor Smores, a private fire with all the fixings for smores with a bottle of champagne. It was great. The excursions they offer through Island Routes were a lot of fun, but pricey. We did the horseback ride and swim and the Lovers Rock Catamaran Cruise. They were both very fun and the staff running those were great. The guide I had for the horseback ride was fantastic.

The only thing that we didn't like about this resort was the beach itself. After spending a few days at the Beaches resort that is right down the beach the Sandals beach was disappointing. It is very narrow and the water is very sluggish. No crashing waves to play in and there is a lot of seaweed all over the ocean floor so it is rather gross it have your feet in. We didn't spend a lot of time in the ocean there and actually walked back the Beaches resort one day to spend some time on their beach.

All in all this was the best vacation of my life and I would return in a heartbeat if I could afford it. A few shout outs to our some of our favorite staff members. There were quite a few that impressed us but I didn't get all their names. These are the ones that really stood out enough for me to make a point of remembering them to mention. Some of our servers Faithlyn from Barefoot, Christopher from Cuchino, and Nicolas from Kimonos. Norman, the manager of Cuchina Romano, we encountered a few times and he really made a great impression on us. We actually tried to see him to say our goodbyes too. Keron was a huge help to us when we first arrived and hooked us up cell minutes for our butler phone so we could call home. Thanks again Keron! Smiley and Reny our wonderful snorkeling and glass bottom boat guides were awesome. Other than our wonderful butlers Mark and Orlando, the person that really impressed us was Trey. He was bartending at the Beach Bar our last day there and we make a comment about the lack of mint and he said he thought there was some coming in soon and that would look into it for us. About an hour later while were having lunch in a private cabana, on the other side of the resort from the bar, here comes Trey with 2 of the best Mojitos we have ever had. It was such a surprise and he really made our last day there special so thanks Trey!

If you want great service where everyone makes you feel special and like your old friends, if you want to sit in the lap of luxury with you relax in the sunshine or party on a boat in the open seas then Sandal Negril is the place for you!

5 Thank tikafaye
Grimsby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We just got back from a very relaxing and enjoyable week at Sandals Negril. As everyone states in their reviews the wonderful staff work very hard to make your holiday experience a very memorable and happy one. The beach location is excellent, there is large variety of quality food and drink available at all times. Lots of activities like watersports or you can just relax on the beach or at the pool. We stayed in the paradise block which provided an excellent balcony view and central location right on the beach. The room was very clean but is showing signs of age and as people have said the bathrooms are tired and in need of a renovation. ( the resort is currently starting on some rooms) Enjoyed being greeted by Kendra's smile every morning for breakfast at the Bayside. Great dinners at Kimonos (thanks Natashia) and the Sundowner (Stacy and Keriann). Sandals Negril provided us with a wonderful relaxing vacation at a great location with staff that go far beyond to ensure a memorable stay. We look forward to returning.

• 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank hulio66
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your review of Sandals Negril. Our friendly staff is always so eager to ensure that our guests have amazing vacation experiences and we're glad we were able to do just that for you. I will be sure to forward your kind comments to the mentioned staff members.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another great stay in the near future!

Cassie C.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Sandals Negril was nothing but first class. The service was second to none and it was the best food I've ate at a Caribbean resort thus far. Speaking of service, we splurged and got the butler service. I tell you what, Basil and Daron were too good. I've spent years in the service industry and these guys go above and beyond. There were days that we didn't even have to think. Lunch, drinks and dinner reservations were all handled by the butler and who doesn't like being greeted with a frozen drink when you get back from snorkeling.

Our only complaint was our room was dated for the type of money we spent, but whose spending a lot of time in their room when your in Jamaica.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review of Sandals Negril. We're thrilled to read that you had a relaxing and romantic honeymoon with us. We always strive to offer stellar experiences for Two People in Love and your feedback helps us to be better by ensuring we are offer the highest standard of service and quality.

We look forward to seeing you again for a stay that exceeds your expectations.

Cassie C.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had an amazing time at Sandals Negril! The beach is absolutely gorgeous! The staff are all so friendly and the resort is excellent. We stayed in a honeymoon penthouse beachfront crystal lagoon suite with butler service, which was such a great choice! The view of the beach from the room was absolutely breathtaking. Our butlers Tavia and Thieda were so awesome, friendly and helpful! They went above and beyond. They would set us up spots on the beach and at the pool with towells and coolers each morning and they helped with anything we needed from the minute we arrived until she was telling us bye as we were getting on the bus to head home. My husband even mentioned adding them to our Christmas card list :) Tray the bartender was awesome too! We always stopped to visit with him. He made excellent drinks and always had a smile! We asked him about trying some of the everyday local cuisine off of the resort and he said just wait and I'll bring it to you tomorrow. He asked one of the chef's to make us curreid chicken back...which he delivered to us at the pool. He was so sweet! Also, Willie and Oliver were great at making sure everyone was having a great time around the pool everyday! The food was great. We really enjoyed dinner at The Sundowner and Kimonos the most. Kimonos has great entertainment too! The massage out on the beach was amazing too! We would definitely return to this resort!

4 Thank MalTexas
Normal, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Sandals Negril May 12-18, 2013 and had an amazing time. We booked a Honeymoon Beachfront Suite with butler service and upon arrival, were immediately upgraded to to a Honeymoon Penthouse Beachfront Suite in the Sundowner building, which in my opinion, is the best building on the resort as it is the building with the Crystal Lagoon swim up rooms. This end of the resort is much quieter and has a very chill vibe to it.

Rooms: Before booking I read tons of reviews for this resort and I can see how other travelers had complaints about some of the lower level rooms. Ours however was incredibly clean and well maintained. No issues whatsoever. My only hope is that this trip didn't spoil any future trips. One of the couples we met on our first day stayed in the Paradise building and experienced a lot of trouble with the water temperature in their shower and it put a damper on their trip. The maintenance crew eventually fixed it, but it did take a couple days.

Butler Service: Our butlers Dwayne and Basil were great! Dewayne constantly had us laughing hysterically. My husband and I are sort of do-it-yourselfers and since this was our honeymoon, we were worried the butlers would be bothersome, but they weren't at all. From the moment we arrived to the Sandals waiting area at the airport and were given fresh towels, cold beer and champagne, I knew we picked the right place. When we arrived at the resort, all we had to do was sit and enjoy a cold beer while we waited a moment or two for our butler to arrive. Check in was virtually non-existent which was great. Our butler gave us a quick tour of the property, let us know of our amazing upgrade, and then showed us to our room complete with a snack and a fresh bottle of champagne. Our room was always stocked with fresh sodas, water, beer, and more liquor than we could possibly drink. The Sundowner building was quiet as it's located away from the bars and restaurants - very quiet at night - and it looks exactly like the pictures! I also really appreciated our reserved chairs at the beach - not that there weren't any left as if you walk a little and look, you can always find some, it was just nice to see our names specially reserved!

Spa: I was overly impressed with the spa! Service was fantastic and our couples massage was so good, we both booked additional services during our stay. My husband had an additional massage and I did a sugar scrub and body wrap. LOVED it and the staff is so friendly.

Food: I wasn't overly impressed by the food compared to the rest of the resort. It was good but nothing blew me away. Let me take that back, the pizza at Bella Napoli was GREAT! I was just hoping for a bit more authentic cuisine.

Excursions: We did the Zipline Canopy tour and had a blast. The trip there was a little rough but our driver was fantastic and the folks at Chukka are wonderful. We also did Rick's cafe - seriously, watch the dives on YouTube and skip it...unless you want to venture back to MTV spring break 1999. Awful! And the sunset is better (and less crowded with free drinks) at resort!

Overall, I was very impressed with our entire trip. I was leery about Jamaica in general but the people are great. Everyone always has a smile on their face and you feel very welcomed. I would definitely go back to Sandals Negril and would recommend to anyone! But we might try one of the other Sandals in Jamaica for comparison.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for - book a butler service if you can! Rooms near the Sundowner building are...
1 Thank Sara Z
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We visited Sandals Negril on May 1st while we were staying at Sandals Whitehouse. We have been to Jamaica 8 times, and 10 times to Sandals, and this was our first time to this side of the island. Unfortunately, SWH and SN were disappointing to us.
The best way I can describe SN is cute, or boutique, or any other nice word for small. It is small. Really, really small. And while it seems Sandals still tried to add lots of restaurant choices despite its small size, it just makes it seem more cramped. This Sandals is right off the main road, so I see why there are so many complaints on here regarding street noise. There is the main road, a driveway, and then the resort begins.
The security at the front of the resort asked us to check in with the desk, which we did, but they really didn’t ask us for anything. While this was very nice and convenient for us, it would make me worry about security at the resort. I had a Columbian Emeralds bag, and our resort cards for the week in our hands, but she didn’t look at them. I have those cards from all of our trips. I could have had old ones and it would have made no difference.
The purpose of our trip was to see if this was a Sandals we ever wanted to stay at. Within five minutes, we knew this wasn’t a place we’d ever want to stay. If this Sandals was cheaper, and I could save $1000 staying here, I’d consider it. However, this Sandals is EXPENSIVE! I have no idea why. It certainly doesn’t live up to its price tag.
We wanted to walk around the resort and see the whole thing, so we started in the lobby, and headed to the right. The rooms are all intertwined there, and the staircases zig zag to connect them. This was kind of cute, but felt really claustrophobic. We stopped in the resort gift shop, which is on the edge in a rounded building, which I also thought was cute. Everything was really squished together though because it was oddly shaped, and there wasn’t much room for everything. There were more items in there that we were interested in than at Whitehouse though.
We were hungry, so we walked over to the Beach Bistro. I am vegetarian, and I ordered a sandwich without the bacon, and they had no issue with that, so that was nice. They also had veggie patties in the case on the counter. I’ve never seen them at Sandals before, so just walking in the door I was doing very well with food at this resort. We sat at a table right next to the water, and that was nice. A few people tried to sell us stuff while we were sitting there though, and we weren’t even there 10 minutes before we saw someone walking topless down the beach. In my opinion, there could be a time and place for that, but that’s really not what I want to see on my vacation.
We walked past a bar that wasn’t open until noon, so we kept walking and found the piano bar, which was open. The beach is really crowded, with lots of chairs really close together, and people on just about every one. If you look at the pictures on the Sandals website, add about 100 beach chairs, and it might be accurate. There are lots of boats in the water, too, and they blocked your view. I didn’t like the beach or the ocean view at this resort.
If I were ever to stay here, I’d stay in the Crystal Lagoon suites down at the end. There was no one in that pool, and lots of open beach chairs. Most people were in the center section of the beach, and it seemed like no one was down there. Probably because that area was further from the bar. The resort ends after these suites, but if you sign out, you can keep walking. We were only there for the day, so we didn’t wander past the resort. You can also walk to Beaches, which I would have done if we had more time. I didn’t want to feel rushed getting back, so we just stayed at SN.
We were really hot, which is the only reason I noticed, but there is not much air conditioning at this resort. The main restaurant is open air, which I really like, but it obviously doesn’t have A/C. We didn’t have a room, so we couldn’t get some A/C there either. The Sundowner had A/C, but it was not very cold when we opened the door. They might turn it up at dinner, but it was only a few degrees cooler than outside. And the lobby is open air, too. So, if dining in A/C is something you want, there isn’t much.
We actually ate at the lunch buffet later in the day, too, and we both found food we liked. So, one plus of this resort is the food, but that is just about the only plus.
We swam the rest of our time in the main pool. This resort only has one pool bar, and it was set up very inconveniently for the bartenders. They had to lean over a wall to get to the strawberry daiquiri/pina colada machine. I just found it strange. There are barely any chairs by the main pool, and people run up and grab them as soon as someone leaves. We found one empty chair, and used that for our stuff. We would have used a ledge or something, but there were ants all over the place. This might be true at other Sandals, too, but I never noticed it. I don’t normally have to look for places on the ground to leave my stuff. I felt uncomfortable leaving my stuff on the beach with all the vendors and people from other resorts walking by. I think it would have been very easy for my stuff to walk away, and I had my camera, so I definitely didn’t want to lose that. They definitely need more chairs at the pool, but there’s really not room for many more either. If I had been staying at the resort, that would have driven me nuts.
The other pool is really small, and I saw one couple in it while we were there. And the lagoon pool had no one in it, and was really quiet. SWH was quiet in general, so we wanted to be closer to the action for the day.
I liked the games by the pool. The Playmakers were fun, and we watched some of the games. A lot of the people we met were visiting from other Sandals, and we’ve never had that happen before. Lots of couples were on an excursion from the Sandals in Montego Bay. Most of them left at 3:30, but everything still seemed crowded, so it didn’t help much that most of the visitors had left.
The piano bar looked like it might have been fun. And I’ve heard sunsets here are great, but I didn’t want to drive back to SWH in the dark, so we left at 4:30.
One other plus would be the cabanas you can rent at the far right end of the beach. We do not normally pay $125 for a cabana, but it would have been worth it here. They were down by themselves, and the privacy would have been nice.
We were only at this resort for about 5-6 hours, and the Snapshots staff asked us to take a picture 5 times! That is about once an hour! I couldn’t believe it! That was more than we were asked at Whitehouse all week, and the only reason they left us alone was that we told them we were staying at SWH, so we wouldn’t be able to buy any pictures.
I honestly think giving this resort a 3 is being too generous, but we didn’t actually stay here, so we didn’t get the full experience. However, we both agreed this resort is a definite no, and we’ve never said that about any Sandals but SCI. I wasn’t even happy at SWH, so I was excited to see this one and was hoping I’d really like it, but I didn’t. It is just too small. Everything intersects something else because there just isn’t enough space. The lobby turns into the restaurant, which crosses over to the pool bar, etc. It was cute, and it was ok for a day, but I’d never want to stay here. I can’t believe anyone would give this resort a 5. I am grateful we went and checked this resort out rather than just booking it because I think we’d have requested to move. We’ve never done that before. At best, I wouldn’t book this resort for more than 3 days. Maybe split it with one of the ones in Montego Bay, and do the other 4 days there. There wasn’t anything at this resort you couldn’t see in 3 days. There really wasn’t anything that you couldn’t see in one day.
We would have asked to see a room if we thought we’d ever stay here, but we already knew we wouldn’t, so we didn’t bother. However, judging from the appearance of the rest of the resort, I can pretty safely say the rooms probably need updated, too. Everything seemed old and junky, and I could actually see paint falling off the buildings in spots. And I saw one lonely peacock in the front driveway. I think he was way too close to the main road, and peacocks are just one more thing they tried to cram into this tiny resort. I wish they’d move the peacock to SWH or somewhere else where he could have some space.
We do prefer larger resorts, but even if you like small resorts, there are Sandals better than this. Sandals Royal Caribbean is small, but things are still spread out. I didn’t feel like everything there was piled on top of each other like it is at SN. If you like to leave the resort a lot, you might like being in Negril. We like to stay on resort most of the time, if not the whole time, and this resort just doesn’t cut it.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank BSBgirl337
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#14 of 88 in Negril
4.5 of 5 stars 4,814 reviews
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!