“Nice Stay - Underwhelmed”

Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Nice Stay - Underwhelmed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I did really enjoy my time at Sandals Negril, but I was a little underwhelmed. I've been to other Sandals Resorts, and this was on par - as far as Service, Food, etc.. What I was underwhelmed about was the beach.

I have been to 7 mile beach before and seen how beautiful it is, and Sandals Negril is located on a smaller portion of the beach. I don't know if it's just been washed away, but there are places where it is really narrow and there were larger patches of seagrass growing - made for difficult swimming in the ocean (we went June 2012), and the pools were small, so I really don't remember doing a lot of swimming while we were there. We did find a small pool near the main pool that worked for a cool down. The main pool was too much for us, with the music and swimup bar. Normally we don't mind, but it was smaller pool and we just felt on top of everyone - we like our space. This may just not have been the resort for us, but we did enjoy it. We just did a 3 night stay here to spend a couple nights in Negril, before heading to Whitehouse.

As I mentioned, the food was fabulous. LOVED Kimonos! The food was plentiful, delicious and the chef was extremely entertaining. He was singing just about any tune he could come up with! We also really enjoyed Sundowner for Breakfast - loved the Banana French Toast. We ate their for dinner too - and it was great, had a good steak, and their signature drink was tasty too. Dino's was fun, we enjoyed eating beach front and the food was great. We were a little disappointed that we dressed up as required, and not many other people did.

Our Room - I don't remember the category, but it was a little beach front cottage, and it was over by Dino's and we liked it. The first night we were there it got a little loud but it stopped after awhile. We loved the location, and we loved the patio with a beautiful view of the ocean.

Over all - I'd recommend this resort to young honeymooners, or couples looking to have a good time. It's not a quiet resort, but it's not crazy. I do recommend butler service if you can swing it because getting chairs and the pool and beach was a little difficult becauase of the smallness of the resort. We didn't have any trouble, but we also weren't trying to get chairs by the pool. The pool is where all the action is during the day. Everyone looked to be having a great time!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CNG1026

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,351)
  • Greek first
Skaneateles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband & I vacationed at Sandal's Negril from March 7th-13th. The Sandal's recption area in the Montego Bay airport is very organized. The attendants there were very friendly & made sure our transition to the bus to the resort went smoothly. When we arrived at the resort, we were escorted to the concierge room where we checked in & escorted to our room promptly. We were upgraded to a concierge level room, where there was 2 levels and a spiral staircase. The room was beautiful & spotless. However, the one disadvantage of 2 levels is you have to go up for things like filling coffee pot with water & using the restroom.

Houskeeping kept the room very clean the entire time we were there. We were on the 2nd floor in Bamboo Grove Bldg. & the view was great. We were very close to the beach & it was very easy to get lounge chairs. The beach was very clean, raked every morning & evening. LaToyia kept us supplied with beverages all day long. She is so friendly, always with a smile & answers any questions. We enjoyed talking to her very much. Please pass this on to her.

We ate most of our breakfast & lunches at the Bayside Restuarant. The Buffet was always excellent with a tremendous amount of variety of fresh foods. The staff was always so hospitable. We especially enjoyed talking with Princess. she went out of her way to make sure we served well. We at at Cucuna Romana, food & service were excellent. The pasta sauce reminded me of my mother's, very hard to reproduce that, Molto Bene to the Chef. Christopher was always so friendly & professional. We also ate at the Beach Bistro, great Jamacian burgers, Chicken jerk!

We look forward to returning next year & Gayonne at the Soon come Back Desk was very helpful at facilitating this. We extremely miss the sun, warm temperatures & all of you we met everyday! Thank You,

Bob & Betty of
NY

Room Tip: We had a loft style room, 2 floors. It was beautiful. However, it was inconvienent to have to go u...
3 Thank Elizabeth L
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I just got married over the March 9th week at Sandals Negril. We had a group of 52 come down with us. I’ll start by saying I wasn’t too impressed with the costs associated with the wedding. They were inflexible on any discounting (for bringing such a large group); the prices in general were very expensive. That said, you’ll pay $$$ for almost any wedding. I was planning on complaining after I had judged the experience.

The place was incredible. The resort is beautiful; the staff even better. Everyone from group said they had the time of their lives! Like I said, the wedding itself wasn’t cheap, however, they did an amazing job! Shermain, the wedding coordinator is awesome and made sure everything went off smoothly. Not a worry in the world after meeting her. Guane (the wedding captain) was awesome too. He looked after our group incredibly. Everyone loved him.

Have to throw a shout out too some great bartenders while I was there. Javel, a training bar tender was awesome. Really accommodating; he went above and beyond. Jason was also an incredible server, and one who everyone liked. The crew on the Catamaran were also great!

My crew loved the “Playmakers”, especially Willy. Our whole crew knew him well and he made everyone feel welcome. The girls (playmakers), I can’t remember their names, were also very popular with our group, as they made sure everyone was having fun. They took some of my crew off resort, and I was told, made everyone feel safe, and had fun!

Food was great, the wedding set up was beautiful; I would highly recommend this resort. I loved the layout of the resort, but I’ll say it’s the staff that make this place such an attraction.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brendan M
Huntington, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Forth trip to Sandals, mar6-mar16 2013,paid $5k.(room #s 5000 range) Oceanfront room had a beautiful view on 3rd floor. originally given 2fl with palm trees blocking view. they moved us on request. This was the most I ever spent for Sandals the room was not as nice as I expected. 3rd floor walk up and noise from all night restaurant woke us up two nights at 4am. Two mornings at 7am machines working on beach woke us up. The food was average with no premium food available. If you love chicken, pizza, imitation crab(one night) and hamburgers the food was very good I did get a small lobster tail at the Italian restaurant(8:45P) that was tough and the size of a shrimp. The weather was fantastic beach was nice, no problem getting lounge chairs. Service from almost all the help was excellent and friendly. I would leave my sandals outside my front door & someone stole them on 4th night. Airport cab service inferior to other sandals Would not go back to Negril sandals. Sandals St. Lucia and Antigua much nicer.

Room Tip: Rooms in #5000 building stay away from noisy all night restaurant.(5301-5320)above 21 ok.
1 Thank Phil2013_13
Dover-Foxcroft, Maine, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I and our best friends stayed at Sandals Negril and I can't wait to go back. The ride from MBJ airport was about an hour and a half, but we stopped halfway there at a little place and stretched our legs and had a beer.... and the drive gave us a chance to see some of the towns/people. Our room (Garden Luxery) was perfect for what we wanted - we knew we wouldn't be in it much, so didn't want to pay extra for a fancy room. Negril has the best beach I've ever seen; you can throw a rock to the beach from basically any of the rooms. And I can't say enough about the staff - they really do treat you like royalty. Bartenders were fun and very generous. We never had a problem finding chairs on the beach, as some reviewers have said. The food was great at the restaurants we went to... Cucina's Italian, Bayside, Napoli's Pizzeria (best pizza ever!), and Kimonos (Jananese) was amazing - so fun. MAKE SURE you make reservations for the restaurants on the day you arrive or you may not get in. Before we left for the trip we had booked the Jungle Tubing Adventure, but when we confirmed it when we got there we found out that it was a 2 hour bus ride just to get to the river, 2 hours of tubing, and then 2 hours back to Sandals. That was very misleading when we booked it. So, we didn't go and just ate the $160. I would say that was the most disappointing part of our trip. Overall, it was the best vacation I've ever been on. We've looked online since and read reviews for other Sandals, and have all agreed that we'd choose go back to Negril. It's one of the smaller Sandals, but we really like the laid back atmosphere.

3 Thank Kimmy_J_2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a very relaxing vacation to Sandals Negril from March 17th to 24th, 2013. We are both in our early forties. We went to Negril to Scuba dive, not to party, so we actively chose to avoid much of the late night entertainment in favour of a clear head for the next morning's dive. Overall, we found Sandals Negril to be a very relaxing, welcoming resort with excellent staff, high quality meals and a beautiful location. The dive team, in particular Josh and the dive boat captain Hopeton McIntosh, was of the highest calibre. Their knowledge of the reef was superb so it made our six days of diving very memorable. Although the reef is not without damage, it is home to a wide assortment and quantity of tropical fish, as well as some larger fauna such as dolphins, sea turtles, octopi, large barracuda and nurse sharks. The most important diving point about Negril is that the dive boat goes every day at 9:30 AM and 11:30 AM as there is little wind and almost no waves. This cannot be said for other Sandals in Jamaica, where heavy winds and high waves can result in the dive boat being unable to sail. This point was so critical for one couple that they were on their 16th visit to the resort during our stay.

Although the resort, the staff and the beach were exceptional, Sandals Negril is not perfect. On the positive side, the staff were, to a person, very friendly and extremely detailed in their duties. They went to extremes to ensure that we were having an excellent vacation. On the less perfect side, the resort's rooms are in need of some renovation. We stayed in the least expensive room, which we enjoyed greatly, but some of the trim was fraying around the edges. In speaking with other guests, they also mentioned this. That said, the room was ideal for our needs and, by the second day, I had completely forgotten about the small imperfections in the room. These small structural issues were, however, not present in any of the resorts public spaces which were all very nicely appointed.

Many guests to whom we spoke commented on the social atmosphere of the resort. They had generally stayed at the Sandals in Ocho Rios, Negril and White House. They classified these three resorts as follows: Ocho Rios was "the" place to party, White House was very relaxing and very, very quiet while Negril was a mix of the two. For this reason, many guests returned to Negril over the years for some partying mixed with a most relaxing atmosphere.

In conclusion, Sandals Negril is an excellent choice if you are looking for a relaxing getaway to forget your worldly troubles, enjoy excellent food, a fabulous beach and top drawer service.

6 Thank Matthew B
Cheltenham, Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

2nd time at Sandals Negril and we forgot how special the staff really is at this resort----we have stayed at all the Sandals in Jamaica and Negril staff is by far the best!!! from our butlers, Daron and Basil, unbelievable service and attention to detail ---they made our anniversary special ---Friedlyn, server at italian restaurant, was unbelievable, made our dinners fun and made us feel special ---even when seeing her during the day ---always made us feel like family---so many staff and so little space Dwayne, saw you everyday outside of the gym and you always had something to say that made us feel special.....Laytonya, beach service, checking on us and always taking care of us---thanks, we really appreciated it. Dwayne #2, our server at the Bayside and again at breakfast so friendly and just again made us feel like family ----also Kendra, hostess at the bayside for breakfast, so perky, friendly and again made us feel like family. hugs and kisses from everyone when we left the resort. Do you get the theme here!!!!! This resort staff goes out of their way to make you feel that you are the only ones that they are taking care of ---we made a decision this year that we will be going to Sandals Negril every year because we can't wait to see everyone next year. thanks, again for a spectacular vacation in Jamaica

Room Tip: try to get a concierge room or better ---they face the beach and have unbelievable sunset views
2 Thank kasrneu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,238 reviews

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!