“Great vacation”

Ranked #12 of 85 Hotels in Negril
toronto
“Great vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

What a great week at Sandals Negril! This was my second time staying in the Negril area and my boyfriend's fourth visit to Jamaica and second stay in the Negril area also. We are both newbies to Sandals. Worth the small increase in cost over other chains and we have already booked our next vacation with Sandals. Having previously worked in the hospitality industry it is easy to be critical but I have no complaints with this resort. The staff were amazing, the food was above average and some menu items were a pleasant surprise and exceeded expectations (lamb and made to order flambé). A special thanks to Sashelle, Velize, and Leroy for the food and drink service and Jermaine, Wade and Big Papa for the water sports. Sandals Negril have mastered all the small details and have done a great job in their evening events for their guests. From the reggae on the beach, the chocolate soirée with the music in the courtyard, to the beach Buffet, it takes a team to put these things on and do them well. Kudos to all involved. The nightly entertainment was good with some evenings getting top scores. The steel band was the highlight in the entertainment department. The piano bar which turned into the disco later in the evening had a decent turnout considering this is a small resort and some guests retired to their rooms early. We stayed in a lower grade room facing the highway but the room was clean, the bed was comfortable and housekeeping did a nice job. The only fault with the rooms was the washrooms are quite dark (for the ladies that appreciate good lighting for makeup application) and the corridors on the upper floors is constructed with older deck boards with gaps between them which made the short trek in high heels challenging. All in all we had a really nice vacation and will definitely return. I would recommend you pop across the road to take in a staff cricket game which usually started around 4pm daily....it really gives you a flavour for how much the staff enjoy working for Sandals.

Room Tip: Stayed in 5315 which was on the top floor facing the highway. No balcony and if you are not a great...
2 Thank travelpoorhouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,350)
  • Greek first
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Travelled with my husband to Sandals Negril in August 2012. The weather was ok, Hurricane Igor did not touch down in Jamaica directly, but you could certainly see the after effects. They were constanty using dump trucks and bobcats on the beach trying to get rid of the never ending seaweed...ok yes this is mother natures fault and not in their control, but it was not very pleasant seeing dump trucks drive by you while your trying to lay out on the beach or going to sleep at night. The beach was not in good shape, again not in their control. The vendors did move on when you said "no" to their sales pitches which was ok. We were actually upgraded to a Loft room. generally I do not complain as long as the room is clean, which it absolutely was and the maid was fantastic. But, it is really worn down and damp...which is really the whole description of what Sandals is. They need to seriously renovate for the price they charge to actually go there. We enjoyed all the restaurants except the seafood one and some of the service at the restaurants was exceptional. I dont know why everyone is raving about the bartenders at the pool either...in my opinion they were always crusty! The lovely ladies walking around were great however. As for the animation staff..they are a great group of people and work hard to keep the guests feel welcome and entertained. Willy and Smiley you guys rule! Snorkeling was ok, Big papa and Smiley made it fun. The pool is completely falling apart as well. So in short, the service was great (aside from bartenders), but the resort is severely run down....the resort is way to astrociously priced for the value....go to Cuba, you'll have the same experience for half the price.

Room Tip: Get a butler suite if you go
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ARADAN2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

First of all we were scheduled to stay here but a hurricane hit the hotels and we were moved to Montego Bay, but sandals gave us rainy day vouchers for a FREE sandals vacation of our choice to use within 1 year! I couldn't complain! I had originally booked negril but almost decided to go to sandals Bahamas since we were just in Montego Bay for our honenymoon- but I sure am glad I decided to stick with our original reservations!

Sandals negril is amazing! I cannot even compare Montego Bay to Negril- negril is a million times better! The service from the moment we walked in to the trip leaving to the airport was phenomenal. 1st they upgraded our room from the top of the swim up suites to an actual swim up suite!!! It was the most gorgeous room we have ever been in!!! Our butlers Theda and Basil were so accommodating and pleasant. We also met friends for life on this trip- I highly recommend it! I loved it so much I'd go back (and usually I don't like to vacation in the same place twice). I also recommend if you stay here to walk down the beach to Beaches Negril- they have water slides and a lazy river- sooo much fun! We actually took a local boy from the beach to beaches and bought him a day pass- it was soo worth it to see how happy he was! He'd never been to anything like it and I'm sure he'll remember us for years.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank Lilblondegirl007
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

This was our third trip to Negril and as always it was simply amazing. I remember reading all the negative reviews and being worried the first time we were going. Nothing to worry about! The resort is beautiful, located right on the 7 mile beach. Relax, you are in Jamaica - have a drink, find a nice on the beach or by the pool. If your drink or food takes a minute who cares, where are you in a rush to? Go with the flow and you will have a fabulous time. The staff wants you to have the best time possible so treat them with courtesy and respect, they will be sure to return it.
If you travel during Hurricane season expect the 'hassles' associated and don't complain about the resort or the fact that watersports are closed due to a rough sea? We noticed a lot of people with an attitude problem - we don't want to hear about it, we are there to have a good time. (I 100% agree with an earlier review that stated it will only be a negative experience if you are negative).

Rooms
We always opt for the butler service as the butlers are absolutely fantastic. Dwayne & Tavia spoiled us rotten! They are not intrusive, they simply take care of every wish you might have before you even think about it so a butler suite comes highly recommended. We stayed in the swim-up suites and while they are as beautiful as the pictures show the pool is in the shade and not heated so does get cold, we didn't mind but something to consider. The penthouse suites above are my personal favorite, big balcony and stunning views. If you are looking for a cheaper room go for the paradise building but stay on the ocean side not the garden as there is a busy road behind the resort, that does get noisy.

While I have preferred the food at other Sandals, it is still delicious with a good variety. You will always find something. Kimonos tends to be fun and entertaining. Book in advance as seating is limited here. Cucina Romana has a salad, soup and bread bar and then you can put together your own meal by picking your pasta, sauce and ingredients. Bayside Buffet is great when you are in the mood for a little bit of everything. Sundowner is romantic with great food. Barefoot is by the ocean in the sand and also serves great food. Don't miss the beach party - its a treat!

We have never had bad service at Sandals Negril. Jamaicans do tend to work on Jamaican time but you are in their land - go with the flow. They are a very happy bunch and although they may not have much they love life and will have fun with you if you let them. Especially the bartenders, they will laugh and joke with you and keep the drinks flowing.

Entertainment
This crew is by far the best & most talented I have ever seen in a resort. Join the activities or watch the shows! Willie is the funniest person I ever met! Javid, Sharea and Jiovani are born performers and great dancers. A great bunch to hang out with!

Watersports
Carlton & Jermaine are amazing. They will teach you to ski or wakeboard. Jeramine would go to beaches and grab their boat when the Sandals boat broke, find me and take me for a ski. Where else in the world would you find service like that?

Overall
You won't be sorry you booked Sandals Negril! We can't wait to come back to our second home & Jamaican family!

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Its_Tina
Paragould, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

I've been to many vacation spots in the world and this particular resort was hands down the most relaxing and enjoyable resort I've ever been to....I only wish there was a 6th star to give. Negril is the resort you want; the best activities and calmest beach is located here. You'll need a bit of cash on hand to tip the drivers and people handling your luggage, so I would recommend pocketing several five dollar bills. The photo packages are a bit pricey, but the work is phenominal. The staff is unbelievably hospitable. You can't help but feel like you have a friendship bond with every member of the staff you interact with. We had a bar in our room, but rarely touched it. There are several bars on the resort and will make you anything you want at any time. The food is amazing! While I was not impressed with the Japanese or Italian restaurant and will not waste a meal in either of these two when we return, I was highly impressed with the others. One particular restaurant is literaly located on the beach; you sit with your feet right in the sand just yards from the water. Everything is fire lit at this restaurant and the ambiance is truly a special experience. The Sundowner Restaurant was my favorite for taste. I literally had two of the best meals I have ever had in this restaurant. I highly recommend the stuffed Basa, and if you are lucky enough to have access to the wedding meal I highly recommend the seasoned chicken. Each bite of both dishes melt in your mouth as you savor the explotion of flavor! These two dishes were an experience in themselves; no words can properly explain them. The water is a lot calmer on this beach than any on the other resort located on the other sides of the island. There's also plenty of free activities to do. The sailing and snorkling are a must! We bought a spa package and it was amazing. The full body massage with hot rocks was fantastic. November is a great time to go....you get the "Christmas Breeze" which makes the weather and humidity perfect! When I left this resort I felt like a new man. This is one place that truly gives you the island life experience....no stress and no worries mon.

Room Tip: While the bar is a neat feature, you won't necessarily need one since there are more than enough...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dan O
alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed at Sandals Negril Nov 10-17th. We have been to three Sandals previous but the service here was the BEST! We were upgraded to the Palms Building to a beautiful spacious room. It was a great location - just had to get use to the road noise.

Thanks to the entire Concierge Staff - especially Patrice who had goodies and flowers on our bed when we returned from Ricks.

I had sent the manager and e-mail a couple of weekds before we arrived to see if SnapShots could get some garland, small Christmas Tree,etc so we could do our Christmas Card picture. Ira in SnapShots went out of his way to help. Thanks to Mandela for the wonderful pictures. Several other guests saw our Christmas Photo shoot and wanted them also. He also did wonderful Garden and Sunset pictures.

Latoya at the Sundowner Beach and Pool was great! She is not only a good server but told us a lot about Jamacian Culture. We developed a nice friendship. Chris is a very good bartender also.

Wade at Watersports took us sailing twice. He was great!

The Lobster at Barefoot was excelllent and steak at Sundownder was yummy as well. The Returning Guest Dinner was great. Loved the Chocolate Extravaganza! We had dinner with a couple we met at last year's returning guest dinner! The Pizza is very good for lunch and the Crab Spring Rolls at Bayside. We had Natasha for our hostess at Kimono's. She was quite entertaining. She can change her voice with every sentence to speak with a different accent. The only bad service we had was at the Beach Grill when three others who came in after us were served and no one noticed until we said something.

Our housekeeping staff kept everything nice and neat. Thanks Desrine and Juliette.

The beach is beautiful with Sting Rays swimming by from time to time and Starfish. The Glass Bottom Boat Ride is a must with Smiley and Big Poppa!

We walked to the Beaches Resort. It was nice, great pool, but we prefer the all adult. Wear shoes if you go since it is not beach all the way. There are also vendors along the way but just tell them no thank you. The taxi is only $5.00 each way if you don't want to walk.

Thanks to the Soon Come Back Staff! We booked for Whitehouse next year, but hope to change to Grenada.

Overall WOW! Thanks for another wonderful vacation!

Room Tip: The Palms Rooms are very spacious
4 Thank funat50Alabama
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

What can I say...just go and see for yourself, you won't be disappointed!

My husband and I went to Negril, Jamaica just because we needed a trip for just the two of us and we are so glad we chose Sandals, Negril!

The resort looks bigger in the travel pictures but it was big enough. We got to the resort around 4:00 pm. We were asked what we would like to drink while our bulter took care of our luggage. We were given a tour of the resort and shown to our accomodations that was going to be ours for the week!

We were booked into the Palms building but out butler walked us right past that, so I'm thinking ummm were are we going? We walked up a flight of stairs and I realized then we were right above the Swim up suites! We were upgraded to the Crystal Lagoon 1-bedroom suites! The room was absolutely beautiful!

It was a little hard to get used of the butler service the first couple of days, but we got the hang of it and loved every minute! Myron & Neisha took care of our every need! It was a pleasure to have met them. I think next time, I would like to know a little more about our butlers before we go.

I could go on and on for days about everything we did and saw and even ate, but all I want to really let you know is...go and stay at Sandals Negril, it's amazing, fantastic and super!!

Room Tip: Go ahead, splurge a little bit, you deserve it!
1 Thank Dena5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,237 reviews

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!