“Honeymoon”

Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This resort was the perfect place to take a honeymoon. After the stress of the wedding planning and everything, the exact thing that my new wife and I needed was a relaxing vacation. At Sandals, you can do as much or as little as you like. My wife and I ended up spending most of our time at Sandals lounging by the pool, reading and sipping drinks. We did take advantage of several in-resort activities, including the water-trike, the Hobie cats, and the gardens tour. The food was excellent, and we never had to wait long for a table. I would definitely recommend the Sandals in Negril to anyone looking for a nice relaxing vacation.

2  Thank Jeff R
Write a ReviewReviews (5,654)

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband Rick and I chose this resort after a lot of research. We wanted to have our wedding on a beutiful beach with no stress. We could not have been more satisfied with the entire trip and our wedding.
From the time we arrived until we headed home we felt so welcome. The staff were incredibly friendly and went above and beyond to make our stay perfect.
After arrival we headed to the spa for a couples massage. Wow what a way to start your vacation! The next day after we finished up our wedding planning we headed out to the dive shop to sign up for scuba diving. At the dive shop we started talking with Josh who asked us if we would like to further our diving certification. At first, as I had just finished my original certification in Wisconsin, I was skeptical and a little nervous. Josh encouraged me and said that he would take us out himself and we would see how I felt after my first dive. After our first dive with Josh I was totally hooked! He was a very patient and encouraging instructor. He could sense my fears and calmed me by holding my hand until I gained my courage. By the end of the first dive I was really excited for the second one. We dove every day twice and finished our Advanced Open Water Certification. We made so many wonderful friends diving and it made our trip so memorable. We will always remember this diving experience!
Our wedding planner and photographer couldn't have been more professional and kind. It was raining at the time for the wedding to start. The planner took total control and we started about 30 minutes late as the sun broke through and began to shine. It was an incredible ceremony and reception. To finish the evening we had lobster on the beach with the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen. What a memorable day!
The food at all the restaurants was excellent.
We enjoyed every moment of our time there and will definately return! We are looking forward to lots of years together and many more dives!
Thanks Sandals staff!
Marcia and Rick Pedersen

2  Thank Marcia P
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I recetly stayed at the Sandals in Negril and had a great experience. What we liked about the resort was that it is long and narrow so you could see the ocean from pretty much every where, the beach was great, lots of chairs and shade. The only comment I would have is there is a lot of sea weed to wade through. The maintance of the beach was immaculate. As noted in previous posts there are a lot of people on the beach trying to sell stuff. I would reccomend in getting a lobster though it was great.

We are not pool people, but if you are, you should note that the pool is quite small. We were off season so it was not too crowded.

The room was fine, bed was comfortable and the maid service was fantastic (Jesaphine the best).

We tried all the restaurants and they were all good, better than other all inclusive's we have stayed at. The stand out restaurant was Dino's for both quality and service. Lorenzo, was great and made sure we were well treated and taken care of. My husband is Italian so we know good italian.

The real differentiating factor about this resort vs. other places we have stayed was the outstanding service accross the board.

We went for a relaxing week and that is what we experienced.

5  Thank areilly2008
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. We're happy to read that you and your husband had a wonderful and relaxing stay at Sandals Negril. It's encouraging to read of how you both enjoyed our pristine beach, excellent location and our warm, friendly staff.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Happy Travels!

Cassie C.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Upon our arrival to your resort we were welcomed by Shemoy in the Concierge room. He is an excellent representative for greeting guests after a long day of travel. He kindly showed us to our beautiful room.
Some amazing members of your team that stand out to us are:
Sandra- She always had a warm smile and happy personality while serving drinks at the bar.
Warren- Greeted everyone with his friendly way. He was kind enough to see us off at the end of our trip.
Jemmie Lee- What a wonderful new photographer on the beach. She always recalled guests names and had such a pleasant fun personality.
Oliver and Ann-Marie- Kindly joined our table for dinner on the Select member’s night. Made us feel very welcome.
Juliet- We were blessed with a sweet-kind housekeeper. She made such beautiful designs with towels and petals and did a wonderful job tidying our room.
Faithlyn- She served us a wonderful meal at Dino’s and the Pizza hut. She went out of her way to ensure we felt welcome and remembered our names too.
Floyd- He served us meals a few times. What a perfect gentleman!
I can’t recall the wonderful patient lady who went through all of our photos with us, but she was incredibly kind and so much help selecting our pictures.
The catamaran crew were a blast and ensured we all had a great time. Our captain was such an amazing driver and you could see she was a very compassionate person.
We sat on our balcony watching the team work so hard setting up the outdoor tables twice for dinners. Both times they were poured rain on and had to cancel the dinners. The staff genuinely felt so bad for the guests. We felt terrible after watching them work so hard to make everything so perfect for us.
The ladies at the spa provided my husband and I such a relaxing experience. My husband had been experiencing terrible pain in his leg. After leaving the spa he felt so much better.
We have travelled to numerous resorts, but have found the connections we made with all of your staff will be the main reason we will return. The employees honestly went out of their way to ensure we felt welcome and at home.
Our 25th wedding anniversary getaway was a wonderful experience thanks to your wonderful team.

Cindy and Andy Sutch

Room Tip: The Palms building was amazing. Close to the beach and close to the bar!
2  Thank Cindy S
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I recently returned from our weddingmoon at Sandals Negril. This was our third Sandals resort we've stayed at in Jamaica. We chose this particular resort for our wedding because of the beach and the nightlife in Negril. Unfortunately the nightlife disappointed (because there really isn't anything to do off the resort) but the beach was beautiful!

First, the wedding planning was SO easy. I had an assigned wedding coordinator who helped me through the whole thing. I don't think I was born with the bride gene so I wasn't concerned with all of the details and additional extras that are available. We booked for more than 6 nights so the basic wedding package was free. We did buy a photo package and while the prices seemed expensive I did research in my home city and they were actually comparable. There wasn't much to do planning wise prior to the wedding except figure out if there were any extras I wanted to add. I decided that for a 20 minute ceremony a $60 bag of rose petals wasn't worth it. As stated before, we spent our money on the photos. Once we got to the resort we met with another wedding coordinator who went through all of the arrangements made previously and walked us around to the different venues so we could chose where to have our wedding. One thing that Sandals does that I think is fantastic is that they only schedule ONE wedding per time slot. This gives the couples the option of ANY of the wedding locations. Finally she walked us through the timeline and told us where to meet her on the big day.

The day of the wedding was very stress free. I had my hair and makeup done at the salon, which ended up being the best decision because they are used to dealing with the humidity and knows exactly which products to use to ensure I still look good after a few hours. We didn't have a walk thru of the ceremony but the coordinator was there to direct us. After the ceremony we signed the marriage documents and had our first dance right there on the spot. It was kind of weird but I didn't mind. They have prerecorded music you can chose from or you could bring your own. We moved on to the reception which was 30 minutes of finger foods, cake, and champagne. The cake was massive! I only had 6 people there and it was too much for us to even put a dent in. Our photographer was amazing as I had a long list of things he couldn't take pictures of….like my "bad" side! During the final planning with the coordinator we were given a list of the types of photo poses we wanted our photographer to take. They were all very traditional but we picked a few but also told them we wanted more candid shots and we would direct the photographer as we went along. They did not have an issue with that and our photos came out exactly how we wanted.

After the wedding we finally got a chance to lay in the sun and enjoy all of the perks of an all inclusive! The beach was wonderful and we didn't have a problem finding chairs in the shade. I suppose that's a benefit of going on vacation during the 'slow' season. I was surprised to see security guards posted along the beach but they were there to keep the solicitors away from the guests. There were always people walking up and down the beach trying to sell things such as jewelry, purses, hats, and lobster. They were not allowed to walk up to people unless you waved them towards you, and they couldn't come up past the first row of beach chairs. We actually bought a lobster from the guy and he took it back to where he was cooking them and delivered it to us on the beach. There were also musicians walking the beach playing songs and selling cc's. It wasn't expected but nice.

The resort upgraded us to a butler suite without the butler, which was perfect. The room was massive and in the best location (right behind the pool / piano bar). There were a ton of activities to do, as usual at a Sandals. There wasn't anything about the room that disappointed us or we were dissatisfied with.

As with any resort in Jamaica you should SERIOUSLY consider bringing your own sunscreen, aloe, bug spray, and cortisone cream as they are HIGHLY overpriced in the gift shop. I was ate up by the sand fleas (or sand flies) by the 5th day. I had the housekeeper change our sheets (which I cannot confirm that she wasn't in the first place) and they seemed to stop. We also started spraying our sheets with bug spray before we went to bed.

We registered for our wedding on the Sandals website and it was the best idea we've had. Our family and friends contributed to the price of our trip as well as gifted us things like the boat cruises and ricks cafe. We did them all and had a blast. Ricks Cafe was fun and we jumped off the cliff (35 feet high). The food was good but it was a tad expensive. Ricks was the only thing we did off the resort but there didn't seem to be much going on in Negril. We didn't mind because there is so much to do on the resort anyway.

As with all vacations and reviews your experience will solely depend on your attitude and optimism. There are things we could have complained about but we didn't care….we were on our honeymoon and there wasn't anything that ruined our trip. The only complaint I have about Sandals is that their website is vague. I have always had to do a lot of research to figure out the details about any resort I've been to. In the end we love Sandals and everything they have to offer and we will be planning vacations to their resorts again in the future

Room Tip: No room at this resort is in a bad location. Depending on how much time you plan on spending in you...
2  Thank JenniferB2012
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

It was our first time to Jamaica and were very excited about this trip. We were looking for a "once-in-a-lifetime" type trip where we could really get away, relax, and be pampered the whole time. From conversations on the phone to the information on the website, this place is portrayed as being very romantic, secluded, and on a beautiful 7 mile beach. The rooms looked gorgeous on the website and we were excited about the butler service that was provided.

When we got there, we both said this is not what we expected. (We actually heard another couple say the exact same thing the following day). Rooms were nice, but we didn't have a view of the beach. The food was just okay and what I expected at an all-inclusive type place, buffet style food. (I will have to say that I typically avoid all-inclusive places for this reason). The beautiful, secluded 7 mile beach was actually about 300 yards. If you wanted to walk further along the beach the guards asked for your name and room number- not a very comforting feeling. Right next door was Hedonism II, a nude beach and party type resort as you can imagine. We were constantly being solicited for fake purses, jewelry, and marijuana while sitting on the beach.

All that being said, we still had a very good time. The employees had a great attitude, the butler service was nice (especially while sitting on the beach), and they had some great excursions that you could do. We jumped off cliffs, went horseback riding, and did a sunset cruise. As for fees, everything is not inclusive. Some wines cost more, many excursions cost more, and everyone expects more tips! Although I was worried it would be loud, we found the resort to be very quite.

All in all, it's a good trip, but not the once-in-a-lifetime, romantic place i was looking for. For the amount of money that was spent, I could have stayed in a private villa, on a private beach, with my own personal butler and never seen another soul if I didn't want to.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Edgar L
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just returned and had a great time!! While this is not a new facility it is located in a slice of paradise. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Big Poppa was our host for four snorkel trips and made sure we saw a variety of locations. He and his crew made the hour a great trip that will be remembered for a long time.

Dining was one area that had a few draw backs. There was six of us and it seemed that for some reason that doubled our time waiting. We weren't ignored but watching others seated and fed while we were on appetizers was frustrating. The burger and pizza area does need to have some attention given to the birds in the area. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets were always full of variety, fresh, and appealing.

While we try and switch our trips as a group between rentals and all-inclusives this would be one I would return to. With multiple pools, bars, restaurants, and activities this is a great base to explore Jamaica. Just like any vacation we didn't have nearly enough time to do all we wanted to, but we did all we could. Black River, YS Falls, Ricks Cafe, shopping, and fishing are just a few of the activities available off site.

Reading through some of the reviews before leaving I was leery of what to expect, Sandals put these to rest from the time we entered the lounge at the airport. Making sure we had a great visit to Jamaica was more than taken care of by Sandals Negril staff, I will return.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank JerryR119
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
#8 of 81 in Negril
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!