“Clean, comfortable, private, safe.”

Catcha Falling Star Gardens
Ranked #38 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Ft. Collins
“Clean, comfortable, private, safe.”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Very thoughtful owners have provided a beautiful get-away spot for reasonable rates. On the island side of Westend Road, recently renamed One Love Drive, this location is far from the maddening beach crowd, but an easy taxi ride away. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ras R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
cudahy
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We are 2 sixty something sisters who have been traveling to Jamaica for the past three plus decades. This was our second stay at Catch-a and we had an even better stay than the first. Which we did not think was possible. From the first greeting by Catch-a-Falling Star's driver Niah, we prefer to get a ride directly to our hotel and not waste any time dropping everyone off. The gate opened at our Catch-a and the adventure begins. We are not high brow folks and that is why we like the garden. This is the real Jamaica and Lady Jane and the staff are the real people of the Jamaica we have grown to love over the years we have been traveling to the island. The resort is well placed on the cliffs with easy access up or down. The rooms are spacious and clean. The pool is wonderful and the coffee pot provided us by the staff made our lazy version of a Jamaica morning even more meaningful as we are very early risers and need some coffee before it is available anywhere. The birdsong is unbelievable and the skyline over the gardens is breath taking. The staff at the resort is one of the best on the Island. From Lady Jane herself, to Joan her able assistant, Wayne the "what can I get you my lady?" jack of all trades, Marshall, the security guard and the cleaning staff that is also great. You lack for nothing when you stay here. The people I have met while staying there are the best also. Just folks who need a rest from the pace of the world and who don't need a glitzy beach experience, where you can't relax. We look forward to our next stay with the Catch-a-Falling Star folks and recommend them highly to all who seek adventure and rest and a touch of heaven.

Room Tip: a good bathroom is a necessity for us and Catch-a has clean updated bathrooms.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank lynda c
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed February 15, 2012

The moment that we checked in Jane and the entire staff welcomed us as lfe long friends. We had a few requests that were promptly taken care of and we were on our way. I have stayed on the cliffs for years and the days of $300.00 nights with no "vibe" are readily available , but not for me. I still love what the cliffs were in days gone by and at cfsg they still have a ' vibe'. The location is second to none and with LTU Pub right across the street a good meal and drink are a short walk.We were able to make it to rhe bar almost everyday and avoid the traffic at Rick's which was a blessing. I was stunned to see the new pool and it was so refreshing after a day in the sun. There is also a new platform at LTU to dive in if the water is calm. So if you're looking for a great value with Real people then this is your destination!!!

Room Tip: The second building from the front is killer. Great to have hammocks with every room!
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed February 14, 2012

What a wonderful place!!!!!!! The staff was awesome, love the dogs!!!!! It is very cozy and beautiful. The only things I thought would make it better would be hot water heaters for the bath - I took a cold shower every day :), more comfortable mattresses, and if all the units, not just some of them had a/c. I still highly recommend it - it is a lovely experience staying there :) :) :)

Room Tip: pick one with a/c - helps cut down on street noise
Florida
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I stayed at Catcha Falling Star Gardens for the first week of February and had a splendid experience. The rooms are a great value for what you pay, and you ONLY pay for the room. This is the Real Negril! After reading some other reviews of this great little resort on TripAdvisor, I felt compelled to provide a review of my own. It is important to understand that this is NOT an all-inclusive style resort similar to Beaches or others on 7 Mile beach. If that is what you are looking for then look elsewhere. What makes CFSG special is the people and the location. This is a real slice of what life is like on the West End and let me reiterate that the people here are genuine and friendly. The location is fantastic and access to the Caribbean from the steps below LTU is really cool. A short walk to the south takes you to Sir D's Lovenest, a bar and restaurant overlooking the cliffs and some of the nicest people we met. So take your travel reviews with a grain of salt and remember that if you want high glitz and beach cabanas you know where to find them. If however you want to have a truly memorable experience, visit Catcha Falling Star Gardens and get to know some great people.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently spent a long weekend at Catcha Falling Star Gardens when in Negril for a friend's wedding (at a nearby resort). Given the exceptionally reasonable price, we were expecting average accommodations at best but were pleasantly surprised.

After finding Catcha Falling Star Gardens on TripAdvisor, we emailed the property and received a very prompt and friendly response from Joan. She also helped us to arrange private van transportation from the Montego Bay airport.

Once at the resort, we spent three nights in the Ginger Lilly villa (downstairs). The room was very spacious and had two double beds, a mini-fridge, safe, and sitting area. We also had a window air conditioning unit which worked well and kept the room cool. The bathroom was impeccably clean (proof was the fact that there wasn't a spot of mildew in the shower which is almost impossible in the Caribbean). The free wi-fi worked great in our room and we were also able to pick up wi-fi from the LTU Pub across the street. Finally, our room had a great patio with the world's most comfortable hammock.

The property itself is charming. There are lots of trees and flowers which are meticulously taken care of. In the middle of the property there is a pool with a waterfall and a reading area. There are plenty of chairs by the pool and a nice breeze blows in from the ocean across the street. If you prefer the ocean, you can head across the street to LTU Pub which is right on the edge of the cliffs and has an amazing view.

As mentioned by previous reviewers, all of the staff members are very helpful and friendly. The gate to the property is locked at night and Marshall provides all-night security. He stopped by to introduce himself on the first night which really helped us to feel safe and at home. Veronica made sure to keep our room tidy every day and even helped me to get my hands on a blow dryer when there wasn't one in the room.

Although there is no food served on premise at Catcha Falling Star Gardens, LTU Pub (literally a 10 second walk across the street) serves high quality, decently priced food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The staff there is also very welcoming. The hotel is also a 2 minute walk from Rick's Cafe and a few minutes from a small convenience store (for basics and beverages). When we wanted to venture out farther, we were always able to find a taxi (both tourist and local) within minutes. Fares in a local taxi to the beach were less than $5 for two people.

A few tips: beach towels are not provided so bring your own (or purchase them from a local vendor), bring your own shampoo, conditioner, etc., don't forget a blow dryer if you need one.

Overall, we had a great stay and would definitely return to Catcha Falling Star Gardens.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LKH727
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 29, 2012

After reading all the great reviews of Catcha Falling Star Gardens, I was expecting something completely different. I guess it just proves the old saying "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is" and "you get what you pay for" which in this case, I'm not even sure we got that! I'm mixing up the pros and cons here so in case you're skimming, you get the whole ball of wax. I am actually confused by the excellent ratings Catcha Gardens got. While my compassionate side wants to be all gushy about the sweet little dogs, frankly at 3 a.m. while they were barking I could have done without them. So I'm going to be completely honest, not just for you who are looking for a place to stay in Negril, but for the nice folks at Catcha Falling Star Gardens to know what can be improved upon.

Staff
First of all, I can't say enough about the delightful help. That's where they went right. The security guard, Marshall, was the first guy we met. Great guy. Made you feel welcome and was always lurking about. I swear that guy has eyes in the back of his head. He was disappointed when he found out that there was a large spider disturbing our evening by the pool and we didn't call him. He definitely does his job well and tells a great story! Dwayne, who is the groundskeeper shared his music and philosophy with us and worked very hard keeping the pool in tip top shape as well as taking care of the garden. It was very interesting to hear his story and he was always extremely helpful. The housekeeping ladies did a wonderful job and didn't take long to figure out we used all the pillows but only one bed. Jane and Joan did what they are able to, but I can't help but think that this place could be so much more with a relatively small amount of cash and a little effort and creativity. Why doesn't management do something as simple as put together a list of places to eat in the area and price ranges?

Property
The property is ok. Kind of like a little jungle, pretty flowers. The pool is very nice and exceptionally clean. The whole property is surrounded by fence topped with beautiful spiral razor wire. A key gets you in and out of a locked gate and Marshall is your security guard sun down to sun up. I never knew how he just popped up out of nowhere to make sure we were ok but I never felt unsafe while on the property until the night of the very loud fight from the couple mentioned below.

Transportation
Catching a cab or ride was never difficult because LTU was right across the street so there were always drivers looking for a fare. Remember to only take rides from the cabs with RED LICENSE PLATES. According the the Negril guide, if the plates are white, all bets are off. We used one driver the entire week, Niah, who has a strong network of friends and could suggest places for us. Round trip price from the airport was $140...no discounts and no assistance from Catcha.

Rooms
First of all, the rooms were ok to be kind. They are fairly clean, swept daily, showers had no mildew, bed linens looked and smelled fresh, and the sink was cleaner than some hotels I have been in..although they somehow seemed to attract little bitty ants every day. A refrigerator is included and some rooms have safes and a dresser. Ours had neither. There is a closet with shelves, though. We also had fresh towels daily. And a bar of soap. And running water. These are all things you would expect before a place would even open. It doesn't make a place "excellent", it makes it "average". Ants in the sink make it less than average. A man and his "paid sleepover companion" screaming and yelling at each other at 3 a.m. makes it "terrible". (Finding out that they slept in YOUR room the night before is deplorable.) Instead of asking them to leave, they were moved to three different rooms on the property throughout the week. Being on a curve where every cab that comes by honks throughout the night makes it "poor". Not having the option to take a hot shower in the morning because there is only solar electric makes it a campground. Having to go outside on the sidewalk to use the "free" wireless can easily be corrected and that amenity should not be advertised until it actually is available in all rooms or it should at least be made clear that only "some" rooms have wireless, safes, etc. Believe it or not, all of those things are tolerable, but what took me completely off guard was not being able to have a cup of coffee in my room in the morning. A little coffee pot to enjoy a cup of joe on the porch may have been just the tiniest thing needed to sway my angst for the ants in the sink, no hot water and being grossed out about what went on in my room the night before we checked in. Finally, there is NO air conditioning, so staying there in July or any nights warmer than January would be out of the question.

Location
I actually think that the thing Catcha Gardens has going for it most AND least is the location. Right across the street from LTU Pub, we were able to get a decent breakfast every morning and COFFEE (although we had to pay $1.25 for each cup, refills were not included). LTU did not open until 8 a.m. but after eating breakfast there for a week, they graciously came in early on Saturday so we could eat before leaving for the airport for the trip home. It was great sitting right on the cliff looking over the ocean in the mornings. Had it not been for LTU across the street, we would have been forced to pay to take a taxi or get a ride for breakfast. There is no way to cook in the rooms so the only option would be to go to the store down the street and be harassed the whole way there and back. We ended up spending around $20 US every morning for breakfast and around $100 a day just for food because there were no options except to eat out and the local restaurants are ALL pricey. An average meal was at least $12 per person. It cost us $20 to get to the beach and back. When we added up what we saved on accomodations by staying in the Gardens and paying for our food and drink in Negril, and having to pay for transportation to get to the beach, we could have easily gone to a nice all inclusive right on the water much cheaper. The consolation is that we hopefully helped the local economy however small a part we played. That's not why we were there, though. We were there for a vacation.

Price
We paid $75 per night in the Jasmine. It wasn't worth it. I would have paid $5 more a night to have a coffee pot in the room, which would have more than paid for the coffee pot.There are many things that can be done to correct my feelings about the value, even if they provided coffee in the office in the morning but the office didn't even open until 9 so if you had a problem or question, you either had to wait around or suck it up.

All in all, there was no advantage to staying at Catcha Gardens over other Negril properties. You are not allowed access to the ocean through Catcha Falling Star as one may think. You are not even allowed to view the sister property unless you go there after 5 and have dinner. I was told if I wanted to see it before I booked, I should go online and look at their website. Never mind that I was only a block away, because they book up for 2 years in advance so I guess they don't need our money. I wonder why they don't donate some coffee pots to the Gardens if they are doing so well??

We found other resorts very accomodating with their property. We very much enjoyed the Wild Parrot on Seven Mile Beach. They allowed us to sit and play cards, use their beach chairs and served up the best food we had of the entire trip, brown stewed chicken, jerk chicken, absolutely fabulous chips and salsa. Cindy was a wonderful server and made sure our friend had plenty of limes every day for his beerr. We also visited the Spa Retreat and had a tour with the owner. They just opened up this summer and we were able to visit the restaurant, The Blue Mahoe, enjoyed wonderful meals overlooking the ocean at sunset and visit to our table by the chef. We would definitely stay there! We took the Wild Thing catamaran trip to Half Moon Bay which was a great value with snorkeling, open bar and lunch on the beach. A couple of other restaurants we visited were Ciao Jamaica where we got great pizza and trust me, the 12" is enough for two people, and the Sea Wind where we were able to watch the playoffs. Not crazy about the food at the Sea Wind or access to the property which required a walk down a long dark dirt road, but once inside, it was pretty nice with a flat screen tv by the bar and a projector and screen in the dining area. Prices in the restaurants were all pretty consistent and it was hard to find anything at all close to an $8 meal. Our last day we spent partially at Xtabi which was about a mile walk down One Love Drive and we wished we had found it earlier because they had clean lounge chairs, a restaurant and wonderful cliff swimming and snorkeling opps if you brought your gear. No cost to enter.

So there's my honest opinion. Jamaica in January is a win. We will definitely go back. And you may like roughing it with cold showers, noisy nights and no coffee. If camping is your thing, this may be your spot.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the front of the property get wireless access. Bring your own coffee and pot and lots...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple