“RIU NEGRIL” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in Negril
“RIU NEGRIL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2003

I have been to RIU TOPICAL three times in the past tow years. I ahve nothing but good things to say when it comes to this resort. The service was excellent all of the times that I visited. There were no bugs. I don't know what folks are talking about. The staff was very friendly from the maids all the way to the cooks and entertainment staff. Everyone is very friendly. The food was EXCELLENT, plenty of drinking and the beach was just beautiful. I am an avid travel and I am stuck on the RIU as well as Negril. Try sailing with Geoffrey, he will entertain you with his beautiful voice and accent. Clarence at the pool bar was my absolute favorite though. I reccommend the Riu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,252)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2003

I was a little skeptical at first because of some of the reviews I had read. Bad food, bugs and boredom? Far from it! Fortunately I did hear many good things through acquaintances of friends who had just returned before we left March 12th, 2003. I and my husband went with a group of 10 other friends for 10 days. 6 of us had been to Jamaica before and for the other 6 this was a first experience in Jamaica. First of all, Jamaica is a wonderful place with wonderful people. If this were not true I wouldn't have returned for a fouth time. The resorts we had stayed at in the past were outstanding, but you can always find a criticism about any resort if you want to. In general the RIU Tropical Bay Resort was wonderful. From the time we arrived we found the staff helpful and accommodating. We originally had asked for a ground floor room for the purpose of being able to walk out of our patio doors onto the beach, however, all groundfloor rooms have a 3-4 ft. wall around the patio which did not suit our purpose. We asked to change rooms to the 2nd floor and without question got a lovely room facing the beach for no extra charge. The room was clean, the beds comfy and we had fancily folded towels with fresh flowers placed on the bed several days. I didn't care for the tub due to the high tub wall and being a bit slippery there was a railing to hold on to but, it was not really placed in the most helpful spot for getting in and out. The bartenders were excellent. To our "Drink Color of The Day" makers: Thank you Dalton, Pryce, Craig, Michelle, Clarence, Maurice and all of the others who helped make our stay much more fun. Steve, you have a wonderful staff. Always smiling, singing, cracking a joke or dancing around. The food, well what can I say? The food was absolutely outstanding. Anyone who can't find something delicious to eat there must be ill. From morning 'til evening there is never a shortage of just about everything and anything you could want. Chicken, duck, turkey, ese, Mexican, American and of course Jamaican cuisine, all topped off with cakes, cookies, fresh fruit and ice cream. Not to mention plenty of wine, liquor and Red Stripe! Absolutely wonderful! The pool w/swim up pool bar was never too packed to swim and the beach is one of the most beautifully palm lined beaches I've had the pleasure to enjoy. The resort and grounds in general are kept up very well. The only true criticism I would have to list would be the entertainment. Bad acts, like CATS, some Dracula thing and a bad kind of Lion King act did nothing for some sloppy dance moves and bad lip-syncing. Yikes! At times I felt embarrassed for the performers. On an up-note they did have an excellent steel band as well as a very entertaining Jamaican band on a couple nights, but I think the sound system needs to be replaced. All in all, you can always take a roundtrip $5 per person cab ride to the 7 mile beach. Our cab driver Glennis was always prompt and courteous. Never a shortage of something to do, one last thank you to our Apple Representative Annie!!! Ya mon, I think you'll find the RIU, EXCELLENTE!! Signed: One of "The Dirty Dozen"

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2003

It was my 6th trip to Jamaica. This time my wife and I brought our two girls (9 & 11) and my father in-law. For my father in-law and the kids, it was their first trip to Jamaica. The drive from the MoBay Airport was "No Problem". We pre-registered on the bus and when we got off the bus, the Riu Hotel staff handed us our hotel key and a drink. Then they carried our bags to our rooms. We were in party mode with 15 minutes... Very impressive. We had two adjacent hotels rooms with an ocean view. It was everything I knew Jamaica would be. Ya ... I spent 3 times more cash in one week than I spent on my car ... but I will never regret doing it. Weather - Amazing... Jamaica always is. You'll get more sun than you need... this hotel has a lot of palm trees to shade the beach. The rooms were great. They had everything you need. Took us a while to realize the the A/C in the room goes OFF when you OPEN the door (or window).... High tech... The staff is amazing. There everywhere. 500 people work at the resort. If you don't like this hotel, you're visiting the wrong country.Food - excellent... and lots of it. Ya the jerk chicken on the beach was good but it's just jerk chicken. On my first night at the hotel, Leroy carried my beer mug to my table... on top of his head... hilarious. When the kids got tired of Jamaica buffet we went to the Italian Restaurant. It was great. Food always comes very quickly.Drinks - Never ending. The keep the rooms well stocked. The drinks flow at the bar. Bartenders are busy from 10:00 am at the pool bar. They always had a smile on their face. Clarence made me laugh every time I talked to him. When I ordered a drink with a "little" shot of overproof rum... I actually got it. Beach - Amazing...We parked our butts between the beach and the pool. Lots of topless girls. The ocean was beautiful. The sunset was very cool. Everyone came out to watch it. The reggae band played in the background... ya man ! We rented a Glass Bottom bottom boat, cruised the water front and went snorkling...Amazing !!People - It is the people of Jamaica that make the holiday. The staff at the hotel is outstanding. It starts at the front door and carries through the whole resort. We spent 1/2 a day with Audley (hotel taxi driver). We toured Negril, went to the market, visited a local school (to show my kids the differences), visited Ricks, the Caves, toured the country side, etc. It was great. EntertainmentThe entertainment at the hotel was very good. It's not Vegas but it's good.. it's Jamaican. If your not enjoying it, have another drink. We saw 4 bands at the hotel during the week (2 Classic Reggae, 1 Instrumental Reggae, 1 Steel Drum). They had a kids program every night. When my kids started to get tired at about 9:00 pm on our first full night, I introduced them to Espresso. (May I say... extremely effective... the danced past midnight !)Some of the dancers from the shows also work at the hotel during the day. Two girls stood out for us during the week (Kameka & Marcia). They were friendly, intelligent and beautiful girls. We had an amazing time. 3 generations from one family. Every one had the best time of their lives. Well done RIU.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2003

March 15 to 22, 2003. I too was concerned with mixed ratings on insects and other negative comments about the place. However, we experienced nothing but spotless accomodations, excellent food and service. Little extra touches like bar drinks served in glass rather than plastic (except around the pool). The beach is pristine, and much better maintained than the neighboring Couples resort. The hotel is designed for and caters to a predominantly European clientele; hotel staff speak up to six languages each. Don't be surprised to see topless sunbathing both at the beach and poolside. Two pools divided by a path, small by American standards, but never crowded because most people make a beeline for the beach. Food is prepared fresh daily (buffet style) and those less adventurous can eat as much chicken, hot dogs, pizza, fries and burgers as they wish. Poolside dining and a pizzeria can permit one to eat up to 24 hrs a day if they wish. Dinner served in two sittings (booked on your first morning with maitre'd). 1830/1900 or 2030/2100, later times Spring thru Fall. Elegant dining area (for a buffet), with different specials each night such as lobster, fajitas, beef tenderloin, etc. Domestic brand liquor served unless you ask for brand names. Minibar in fridge stocked with soda and Red Stripe beer, liquor dispensers each containing a fifth of rum, gin, brandy and vodka. You might want to get it removed if your teens have a separate room. Drinks from bars tend to be weak, but considering that it's all inclusive, chances are this is for our own good... people often over consume, take in too much sun then think it was the food or the water that made them sick. Personal experience with insects in rooms: never leave any container such as an empty glass, bowl or dish lying around unless it has been rinsed clean. Doing so is an invitation for bugs to visit while you're away. This is true whether you're in Florida or Jamaica. Jamaican people: we're a visitor to their home; mutual kindness and respect goes a long

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2003

My fiance and my parents travelled to the Riu on Feb.8/03-Feb15/03. This was my parents first All-Inclusive trip so they were not sure what to expect. My mom's first reaction when we drove up to the resort was "Wow, is this our resort?". The resort itself is very beautiful, to be quite honest it is one of the most beautiful that I have been to for the price. I was a travel agent for a number of years and have seen alot of resorts and this one is one of the best! The beach was very well kept with lots of lounge chairs. We usually found our way to the beach everyday around 10:30am and had no troubles getting 4 chairs. The weather was also great with lots of sunshine. It spit about 10 drops of rain every afternoon around 2pm and was a bit overcast but it always cleared up. The food was wonderful, breakfast had everything from omelettes made to order to chocolate covered croissants. We had lunch at the buffet everyday and it served hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, salads, fish... For supper we also ate buffet every night expect for our Wedding night. The Negril restaurant had lots to choose from as well such as chicken, turkey, fish, pastas, salads and fabulous dessert! Our rooms we okay, 2 double beds pushed together, TV, in room bar and safe and the bathrooms were clean. We did encounter a number of cockroaches in our rooms in building 2-third floor. My parents also had their bathtub backup but housekeeping was quick to clean it up and even offered them an oceanfront room. THE WEDDING- Getting married in Jamaica is something I would recommend to anyone. It was so easy, all we had to do was contact the resort and send them the required documents at least 30 days before the Wedding Day. We were in contact via email with the resorts wedding co-ordinator named Ingrid a few times before we got to the resort to make sure everything was in order. We arrived at the resort on a Saturday and planned to get married on the Tuesday. We met with Ingrid on Monday and picked the Bouquet and cake flavour and cyou tell your credit card company that you are going to Jamaica and will be charging a large amount on your card. We had alot of trouble with our card not approving (yes, our limit was ok) Ingrid mentioned that alot of banks will not approve a large amount on a credit card in Jamaica. Hey, I guess the banks are looking our for you but it sure is a pain! The wedding was absolutely beautiful. My (now) husband and I spent all morning lounging on the beach, around 2:30pm went to our room to get ready. At 3:55pm the guys left to go to the beach and at 4pm Ingrid came to get my mom and myself. The ceremony was about 10 minutes long .After the ceremony we signed the register and drank Champagne. We had a number of pictures taken on the beach and in the garden area as well as a video that I would highly recommend getting. After pictures we went to the a la carte restaurant Sir Anthony's. The meal was great expect that my husband found a small piece of glass in his rice. He went to the waitress who in turn told the head chef. He came out to apologize, a glass bowl had been broken earlier and no one told him about it. Besides that, it couldn't have been a better day. After supper we changed back into our shorts to watch that evening entertainment. The entertainment itself was okay, I've seen better but we also need to remember that it is a family resort.All in all I would highly recommend the Riu Tropical Bay for a vacation, wedding and honeymoon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2003

My husband and I just returned yesterday from a lovely holiday at the Riu Tropical Bay. I will not address the several complaints that others have mentioned in these posts because we had no experience with bugs, musty smells, faulty air conditioning, lack of towels, etc. etc. I do wish to comment on the irresponsible behaviour of some people on the beach. As vacationers, we are visitors to another country. We owe our hosts a measure of respect and so throwing cigarette butts in the water and dropping empty (plastic) glasses and straws on the beach with the expectation that someone else is responsible for picking up after us is not acceptable. People seem to think that having paid to be a guest at a resort is sufficient reason to act like an unmannered boor. Please remember that when we leave, the impression we have made on the hotel employees remains with them. By all means book a holiday at the Riu Tropical Bay. It is a fine resort and you are sure to have a great time. Just remember to treat your host country with the same good manners that you would expect from visitors to your own country.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2003

Congratulations Riu Tropical Bay. Just returned on the 15.03.03. Long flight! An excellent holiday choise. Our room was well looked after every day by the maid. We overlooked the sea (through the palms). I heard the front rooms overlooking the road coulkd be noisy due to the traffic. The food was excellent, a great choise for every taste. Look out for RAVI (Indian chef) very friendly. The hotel manager was everywhere from dawn till dusk to check his ship was in order - well done. One the down side the entertainment was only two star! Reception can only give you Jam Dollars if you have travellers cheques.. Be prepared for a long wait in the Negril bank by taxi cab. The bank does have a cash mashine outside for US cash. Be prpared to haggle if shopping or taxi rides, it is expected. Have a great time folks......