Tripadvisor
Negril
6,513 results
All reviews bloody bay fusion restaurant ocean front specialty restaurants jerk hut pool bar jerk chicken entertainment staff beds pushed together scuba caribe rick's cafe beautiful beach musty smell lobster reservation system a la cartes lunch buffet
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

So happy to have found this GEM!!! the hotel was renovated late 2018 so everything is perfectly appointed if you like a smaller resort. The food was great the atmosphere was perfect and quaint. Everything you need is centrally located. THE BEACH is spectacular! could go on and on about the resort but nothing is as important as the staff. From the time we checked in Michael at the front desk made us feel welcome: Would like to thank: Ionie, Demal, Lisa * Daiquiri bar, Maureen *& Sharon **plaza bar, Chad, Samuel, Omar, Samantha, Gray, Kendrick, Kirk, and O' neil to name a few for ensuring we had a great vacation. This is our new home away from home, Cant wait to go back!!

1  Thank NYNY31
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear NYNY31,

Thank you for your time and for your kind words about our modern facilities and the service provided by our staff! We will be sure to pass on your wonderful words to our outstanding team.

We do look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

With our best wishes we remain,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Beach was great and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Some of the wait staff in the specialty restaurants were a little less than friendly at times. We ate at all the restaurants and the food was good in all of them. but overall a great place to travel to.

Date of stay: January 2020
Review collected in partnership with riu.com
2  Thank Trail813593
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Trail813593,

Thank you so much for your outstanding review!

We are glad to learn that you had a fantastic holiday during your stay at our Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay. We appreciate your kind words! It was our pleasure taking great care of you!

We look forward to sharing another amazing experience with you soon. Have a lovely day.

King regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our first time to Jamaica and we were blown away at how amazing this resort was. Typically we are not fans of all inclusives but this was definitely the exception. Firstly, the location is incredible. The water was perfectly calm which makes it great for all water activities included with the resort - paddle boarding, kayaking, catamarans. The beach was a dream. Powdery soft white sand on the beach and in the water. We spent all of our time on it. The other Riu resort was in the bay so we would kayak or walk over there every day for some fun. The FOOD was delicious - from the jerk chicken, to the a la cartes and buffets - all above expectation! The entertainment staff - blew us away. They are so talented - well above normal resort entertainment. We had endless fun with them. The drinks - top shelf!! The location - so perfect. Close to seven mile beach for day trips but not as busy. The snorkeling catamaran booked at the scuba caribe watersports was a bargain! Such beautiful snorkeling. The rooms were also beautful & clean. We loved our time here & defintely recommend it!!

2  Thank eliaschics

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for leaving this kind and generous review of our hotel!

We are proud to hear that your experience was nothing less than memorable and that our staff was able to serve you in that way!

It is our hope to see you again soon!

With our best wishes we remain,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We loved this resort and cant wait to go back. The beach was white sand, clear and clean water. Staff was amazing and remember you! To me, the food was not spectacular, but pretty good! My favorite was the jerk chicken, and Asian restaurant. All staff were accommodating, but especially Julian and Kemar helped us a lot. Everything was super clean, the room service staff hit your room 2-3 times a day! I felt very safe at this resort, and all Jamaican's were very nice all of the time.

I got a deep tissue massage for my birthday, it was VERY pricey, but it was the best massage I have ever had. Bernadette was the BOMB!
Staff even had a birthday cake waiting in my room for me on my birthday!

The only negatives-the hustlers on the beach tend to bother you a lot and seem to want something all of the time. It was annoying to be napping on the beach and have one of them come up to you. You just have to tell them "No thank you" and dont even give them the time of day, and they will leave you alone.
Also, I awoke every morning at 7AM to my neighbors door slamming shut. All the doors were super loud. Im sure there is nothing to be done about this, but I am a light sleeper so as soon as the neighbors left their room, I was awake for the day which was a bummer.

We did the Dolphin Cove excursion (not in relation to the resort.) It was nearly $300 for my husband and I, and it is advertised as "40 minutes long." In reality you are with a group, doing 40 minutes in total. Our total time with the dolphins was probably less than 10 minutes. Then the photos are $100. It was very pricey for what you get and I wish we wouldn't have done it at all.

Room tip: 2nd floor ocean view is the way to go!
1  Thank GingerJO1573

Dear GingerJO1573,

Thank you for sharing your outstanding experience with us!

We are delighted to understand that you had a wonderful time during your stay at our Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay! We appreciate your kind words and compliments! It was a pleasure to take great care of you! It is disappointing to see that the beach was too noisy and local vendor´s behavior made your stay less enjoyable. We hope you can understand that this is out of our reach due the beach is public and we cannot avoid vendors passing along the beach but at the same time, we do everything in our hands to ensure everyone at the hotel has a great vacation.

We hope to host you again in one of our worldwide hotels in the future!

Greetings,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Let this be a warning: DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL. I wish I had followed the advice of the other posters who said the same thing, but I didn't, and I regret it. Don't do it!

Riu has no accountability. When things go wrong, which they will (more below), Riu has placed a fool proof system to ensure you are absolutely scammed out of any compensation: they tell you no one at the front desk is qualified to help you. Then they give you a piece of paper with an email address for complaints. If you try to email, you will received a formulaic response weeks later about how they have "reviewed your case" and find that everything was handled correctly. If you call Riu corporate offices, headquarters, or any phone number on the website they will tell you to go through the email address for complaints. They will not respond on social media either.

It is a a fool proof system that so far has prevented us from receiving any compensation for a ruined Christmas vacation.

Here is what happened: We arrived at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay on December 24, 2019. We had booked a Jr. Suite with garden view room, specifically because it is advertised on the Riu website as having two beds. We made that specific request in writing as well, even though the advertisement on their own website had no mention that 1 bed was a possibility for this class of room.

Upon check-in, we were informed that there were no rooms with two beds available. I was told we were still getting the same class of room that we booked. When I mentioned that according to Riu advertising, all of the Jr. Suite with garden view rooms have two beds I was told this was not true, and that some have only one bed. This is despite me showing the front desk their own advertisement - which only mentions 2 beds. We were told we could possibly switch to a room with two beds the next day. This may not sound like a big deal, but I was traveling with my mother who has insomnia and one bed is not an option for us due to her sleep difficulties. We paid extra money for this class of room specifically because it was advertised as having 2 beds.

Because I was feeling unwell and wanted to lay down, we let them take us to the room. It was very warm, but we assumed the air conditioning was not yet turned on. We turned it on and went to dinner. Yet when we got back from dinner at 9:00 pm, the hotel room was still very warm. When the front desk sent a technician, he said the air conditioning was broken and he would be unable to fix it that night.

I went to the front desk to see what could be done, and all of a sudden there was a room with two beds available. Despite being told it would only take ten minutes to make the switch, it took hours for us to get into our new room. We did not get into the new room until MIDNIGHT. This was after a whole day of travel that began at 5:00am, with me also feeling incredibly ill from the travel. This was how we spent our Christmas Eve.

We finally got into our room, which was in unit 0. That night we realized that the room was incredibly close to a busy road. Absolutely do not let them put you in unit 0. We could not sleep due to the loud traffic and blaring horns from the road behind us. We asked to switch rooms the next day. We were told it would not be possible until the day after. By December 26th, after two sleepless nights, we were finally moved.

When I asked someone at the front desk what could be done to compensate us for this, I was directed to speak with a manager the next day. When I spoke with the manager, he said he could not do anything and we should email the complaints email address. He ripped the email address off of a large paper with many of them - clearly it gets a lot of use.

I have never stayed at a hotel or resort where there was no on the premise with the authority to help compensate customers for issues that arise. I was told the only thing they could do personally was to give us a "gift" or "souvenir". I said fine, but we never received anything at all. It was clearly just a lie to get me to move along.

All in all, this was extremely infuriating and disappointing. We spent money on a room and quality we did not get. The room we were initially given was significantly smaller than the two other rooms, yet all were supposedly the same class of room. We feel deceived and misled, both by Riu's advertising and by the front desk. We were kept up for two nights straight with terrible noise in the room from the road. No one at the front desk ever apologized or offered to help us in any way. We are incredibly upset that we chose this hotel to spend our holiday.

Aside from these issues, their restaurant system is terrible. If you don't want to stand online at 6:15, don't expect to eat at any of the restaurants. I have been to many all inclusives and this is by far the worst run, lowest quality. Save your money and go elsewhere. Believe me, you won't regret it. But if you book and have any issue whatsoever, you will absolutely regret it.

Room tip: Avoid Unit 0
Date of stay: December 2019
4  Thank 934ryanl
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear 934ryanl,

We are sorry to learn that overall you did not enjoy your stay at our Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay! We apologize for not reaching your expectations regarding the rooms provided and for the issues you experienced during your first two nights! We can assure you that all our rooms are built considering the legal requirements regarding insolation and it is therefore very unpleasant for us to hear that you still perceived city sounds. In addition, we apologize if you did not feel well treated by our staff members! Customer Service is one of our most important assets and we always try to solve your issues with respect and professionalism! We assure you that we will share your concerns with our Management team so that they can follow up and take actions accordingly!

We hope to host you again in one of our worldwide hotels in the future!

Greetings,