“Great holiday”

Ranked #20 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great holiday”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Just returned after a 2wk hoilday at this fantastic hotel, we stayed from 9th/23 June. The staff are so lovely they make sure you are having a relaxing time, nothing too much trouble. We had a garden room nice view of the birds in the trees but would of preferred a sea view, I think there is more Mosquitos around these rooms I got bit to death everytime I went out on the balcony, even though I applied repellent spray. We attended the welcome meeting where we met the thomson rep Christine, she seemed very nice asked everyone if there was any problems with room we asked if there was any chance to have more coffee and some milk as the creamer in room was vile, she assured us she would personally see we got our request, but unfortuantely we didn't get any of it. We also never saw her after that even though she said she was always around! The food at the hotel was ok not great, we ate at the steak house on one occasion but we didn't feel it was a relaxing atmosphere, waiters were miserable no smiles, it seemed we were on a time schedule I was still eating my dessert when the manager wanting me to fill in the questionare!! So we didn't bother booking at the other restaurants. Apart from that we had a enjoyable time and still would return, but would probably organise our own transport to airport because the pickup time is a silly time, 4hours we had to hang around at the airport not what you need before a nine hour flight.

Room Tip: Pay extra for seaview
3 Thank Sunlovergirl123799

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,299)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2014

i was in Jamaica for the first time in November and I stayed at Tropical bay for 4 days. Upon the check in I was greeted with a lovely cocktail and check in process was super fast and friendly. My room was a short walk from the front desk, overlooking the garden but I had the partial view of the ocean as well. I've learned later that regardless in which part of the hotel your room is located you are literally 3 minutes walk from the beach. Food was wonderful, both buffet and restaurants. Entertainment was lovely as well. Beach was beautiful, water crystal clear and warm and there's more than enough beach chairs. Staff is wonderful and made my stay very enjoyable. If I ever go back to Jamaica I will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank skeletoncrew
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We were on a group wedding vacation June 16-23, 2014. There were 40 people ages 30 and up with small kids. The resort was perfect! As said in other reviews, not too big and not too small resort. The resort was very accommodating of large groups and kids. We were able to eat together at the buffet, plenty of pool chairs, and beach chairs.
The beach is amazing! Clear blue water as far as you can go and soft white sand. It made the 90 minute drive from airport worth it. Swim up pool also worked well for our group, never felt crowded.
The food was great! We loved the breakfast and dinner buffet, and of course the jerk chicken hut. Everyone loved the food! Many comments that they were impressed. The italian restaurant RImini was also a favorite.
The resort was well kept, the rooms are nice. Out of the group, it seems like the rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor did not have any issues. Some of the rooms on 1st floor had the musty smell but they said you didn't notice it after a while. The rooms also have a daily stocked fridge with soda, water, beer, and liquor which was very convenient.
The staff was great! We've been to Jamaica before and always have great service. Everybody is so friendly. You can also go off the resort to Ricks Cafe, shopping or excursions. There's plenty to do during the day, whether you want to lounge or be on the go. Theres a taxi service available in the hotel lobby or a company to set you on your desired excursion.
The only downside was the limited entertainment at night. There is one nightly show at 9:30. The shows were entertaining, and for our group this was OK. Since it was a wedding group, we enjoyed each others company at the bar, and watched the shows. For some, this may not be enough entertainment at night.
The wedding itself was amazing! Anybody having a wedding here or going to one....Enjoy! It was a great time with great memories! As they say, no problem mon!

Room Tip: Go with the ocean front on the 2nd or 3rd floor, as long as your ok with no elevator.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Lgall2
Reviewed June 25, 2014

First, let me say that the folks working at this resort are very kind and good at what they do. Always a smile and good service. The food is not too bad for an all inclusive. Hope you like Red Stripe beer since that is all they serve. Plenty of cocktail choices and the grounds look nice.
The Beach is the best on the Bloody Bay Area and it is not too crowded. The water is clear enough and the vendors are not too pesky.
For the price of this resort it is a little rough around the edges in particular the upkeep of the pool area. Too small for the number of rooms so it is kind of gross to see so many people drinking all day in the pool and not leaving for a bathroom trip if you get my drift.
As for class, the employees are great but there are lots of guests walking around in their cleanest wife beater t-shirt and flashing their tats....
So lower your expectations and you will have a decent visit.

Room Tip: the hall ways are very noisy and party animals go to bed late. find an upstairs corner room if poss...
3 Thank Larry W
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed at Riu Palace for 7 days and arrived with about 18 adults and 3 young children, everything was amazing! Since my fiance and I were getting married we were upgraded to an ocean front view and all I can say is WOW. The rooms were always tidy, the food incredible, we tried all the little restaurants but our favorite was the buffet. It was never the same, every night had different themed cuisines. The beach was clean with white sands, everything was very well maintained. (They even took your orders for drinks right on the beach). Our wedding was very beautiful, Sophia the on-site wedding coordinator had done a fantastic job at arranging everything. The decor superseded my expectations. I have nothing bad to say. Everything was wonderful, my husband and I would recommend this resort to everyone who plans on going to Jamaica. We will be back ourselves for sure!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Jennka N
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I attended this hotel for 5 days with 27 guests and we all had a great time!

The beach is beautiful and was shallow for a long time! We saw many fish and even 2 sting rays swim right by us in the water. Only negative is I got nipped on the toe twice by little crabs, watch where you step and might help to bring water shoes.

I have stayed at about 5-6 all inclusives , I normally find the food boring and bland, BUT not here! The buffet food and themes were the best I have ever had at any all inclusive and all of the guests agreed. There was plenty of options to choose from and in the 5 days did not get bored, preferred it over the a la carte restaurants. Drinks were also tasty and I did feel drunk so they were strong enough.

Entertainment - The nightly entertainment was AMAZING, the games, the steel drum band and oh my Michael Jackson night!! Hell Yes!! We organized all our meals just to watch the entertainment shows. Some might be a little PG 13 so watch out for the kiddies.

I loved the beach so much I did not go in the pool but everyone looked like they had a good time and plenty of seating in the pool.

Lots of stalls and shopping near on the beach, if you walk right facing the water I got some nice artwork and coverups, bargain as I did get some good deals.

Ok so my one and only negative, I was fine with our room. But I could see how someone could find it dated and the beds are a bit hard. They should definitely renovate and modernize the rooms.

If I were to come back to Jamaica I would definitely return!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank irrum
West Lothian
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed at the Tropical Palace from 25th May until 8th June. I will put this in categories to make it easy.
Rooms
Pro's - Spacious and well facilitated. Clean and although previous reviews talked around the smell of damp however we didn't experience this. Fridge and mini bar stocked daily which was always nice.
Con's - The beds were 2 doubles pushed together and bed covers made the separation even more apart as beds were dressed separately. Itchy blankets also! We were on the top floor and were awakened through the night with noise coming from the roof space, it sounded like rats and frightened the life out of me! Not a show stopper though!
Pool/Beach
Pro's - we predominantly spent more time at the pool than the beach and never found a shortage of beds, there were always plenty to choose from.
Con's - bugs in the pool, this put me off on occasion. Didn't enjoy walking along the beach due to locals looking to sell things.
Pro's - We tried all 4 Al-a-Carte and enjoyed every one of them. Both the service and the food were a delight. The Jerk Chicken Hut at lunchtime was lovely, highly recommend this for all to try if booking this hotel.
Con's - We found whilst the buffet restaurant had an extensive array of food, this was repetitive and although there were themed evenings there wasn't enough of the themed food.
Staff - We were mostly served by the same people and have to say they were an absolute pleasure, Sharna Kay and Jodeen in particular.

General thoughts - In the Lobby Bar of an evening there is a piano man until 8pm and he is absolutely fantastic, we really enjoyed spending a couple of hours there before going for dinner solely to listen to him. We asked for a Stevie Wonder one night and literally going all his top hits.

Whilst I have only named 2 members off staff we didn't have any issues with the general service of the staff we came across.
The only thing that was off-putting was the fact that every day if we were in between 4pm and 6pm we would receive a call from reception asking if everything was ok and then a visit from housekeeping to ask if everything was ok. I don't believe this kind of attention is necessarily needed as every time you eat in the al-a-carte you are also asked to fill out a short survey to ensure everything was ok. All of this together is a bit overkill!

2 Thank Susanne C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Legends Beach Hotel
#26 of 80 in Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!