“Can't Wait to Return!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Ohio
“Can't Wait to Return!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

Just returned from Riu Palace and can’t wait to go back. My husband and I have spent 10 years traveling to AIs in the Caribbean, we have been to Bahamas, Antigua, DR, Cancun – for us there is no place better than Jamaica, specifically Negril. This was our first stay in Bloody Bay, we were a little worried it wasn’t going to compare to 7 miles beach down the road but we were very pleasantly surprised. Riu Palace beach is absolutely one of the best I have ever been to. Pristine. Beautiful water, power fine sand that is raked every morning, plenty of beach chairs and shade. And they have wait staff that come down to the beach to take/fill drink orders – Sandals didn’t even do that for us.
The second best part of this resort is the staff, they were very kind, friendly and courteous. From check in, to bell hop, all of the food service people, even the maid greeted us with a smile and “Good morning” every single day. We did our fair share of tipping, but I really do not believe that got us any better service than other guests. I have found that if you are kind and courteous to the Jamaican people, they will treat you the same. Look them in the eye, say “hello, please, thank you”, even a quick fist bump “Respect” and by day two they will all know your name, what you are drinking and be more than happy to go out of their way for you. Even though they are very poor, they have a lot of pride.
The entertainment staff was a lot of fun, they get people involved in little games & stuff. It’s not too much, where it becomes annoying – we’ve been to other resorts where I wanted to steal the microphone and hide it. They had a time schedule of events and kind of moved back and forth from the beach to the pool. But I have to say the swim up bartender named Andrew was awesome! He took care of us all week and helped make our vacation great – huge shout out to him!
The pools are a bit small, but with a beach like that it didn’t bother me at all. Originally I booked the cheapest room, our first night was in building 5 – the room was nice, but the road behind the room was loud. We upgraded to building #3 for $28 per night and did not regret it at all. Our view was amazing. And like others have mentioned, there is a lack of public restrooms so being so close to the beach/pool came in handy.
We ate at all the restaurants, the food was pretty good and I am a picky eater. We didn’t care for the French restaurant much, but you have to try them all. We enjoyed the buffet too. You have to make reservations for the restaurants, for me was no big deal. I have seen where other people complained; I never had to wait behind more than 1 person and was always able to get a 6:30 reservation for the restaurant I wanted. I have been to other AIs where no reservations were required, but you might wait outside the restaurant for 2 hours before you get seated. I’d rather make the reservation early in the day and skip being irritated later.
We walked the beach down to visit the other Riu. Be ready for the local vendors. Again if you are courteous, look at their stands and kindly say no thank you, they will leave you alone. I was really glad we picked the Palace. The Club had a LOT of kids and just seemed older and a bit run down.
If you are looking for a laid back beach vacation, with a nice balance between casual and elegant, then I would highly recommend Riu Palace.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Oceanfront, it's worth every penny!
3 Thank BeachbumV

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,248)
  • Polish first
Hinckley, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

We just returned from our fun travel group trip and we all had really good things to say about the resort and area.
Nine of us travelled this year and we had a few hiccups, but on the whole, high marks to the RIU.
Must say we were spoiled last year by staying at Couples Ocho Rio. When we landed and proceeded through customs we went directly to their courtesy area and used the restroom and had some welcome drinks to set the vacation vibe! Not this time.
Our bus wait was a little long but not unbearable. The ride was exotic as always with a nice stop for drinks and restroom break.
The resort was beautiful and located on the most awesome beach ( Bloody Bay)! Our room was perfect, our friends ( x2) needed a room change. Honestly, didn't ask why they switched.
We had an ocean view room and the view was nice, not great. We were on the first floor and that works great for us. The fully stocked fridge may be the best part of the room! Waters and drinks at will, luv it!!
The meals were all better than expected. The Japanese restaurant should not be missed. We went twice! Grouper to die for. The other formal restaurants were wonderful as well. The Mexican night buffet was delicious! Being a foodie, my taste buds were happy all day long! The jerk shack on the beach should not be missed, the smells are intoxicating!!
The staff was hit or miss...some very friendly some not. Tips should be for excellent service, some employees appear to only give good service if the cash is flowing to them.
The beach was really beautiful! The sunsets are brilliant and the hotel photographer does a great job of capturing the moments. The ocean in front of this resort hands down is the best in Bloody Bay! no seaweed, rocks etc. The vendors get really old after a while, my thoughts are the hotel security is getting some of the action in one form or the other to let these people harass you constantly to purchase herbs etc.The vendors in their huts are really cool and we loved talking to them. The morning ritual of walking the beach to the Riu Club was alway fun and exciting.
The beach at the Club may be one of the worst in Jamaica, so be warned..sea weed, rocks etc.
The biggest problem with our trip concerns the SPA manager. She has no professionalism, no class and if I ever return to this resort will be the only reason to not return to the spa. She was soooooo rude to my wife and one of our friends. Hopefully she finds employement somewhere else as to not bring down the expected spa experience of other travelers!
This place has some work to do to really become a "Palace" but I think management has things under control with Muriel now on the property!
You will be happy here Mon! This resort rocks.

Room Tip: Snorkle trip to Rick's cafe was a blast ( Caribe company) and only $50.
6 Thank daddytravels
Ipswich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed our 2 week stay at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay. We went in early May which is part of the rainy season there. I recommend you do some research into the weather so you know what to expect. We have previously visited Mexico, Cuba and the Dominican Republic all of which are amazing however we both agreed Jamaica and the Riu Tropical are our favourite destination so far.

I’m sure like me you look on TA to get honest and varied opinions to help you make an informed decision about your holiday. I would say there are some quite childish 1* reviews on here for this hotel. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but 1* because a couple of things went a bit wrong?? Don’t you just find some people are looking for things to complain about and almost want their holiday to be ruined by the tiniest little inconvenience just so they can moan about it!

Here is why we will be coming back!

The Beach

The main reason we chose this hotel and location was the beach. It was our no.1 on the list of things that were important to us. We were not disappointed and the pictures just don’t do it justice. I think for the price ranges you will find it hard to get a better beach. The sand is soft and you will love the slow gradual decent as you walk into the water. The water is clear and more like a lake as there are hardly any waves. The Palace beach is right at the base of the bay and is by far the best spot.

I was lucky enough to see a couple of sting rays in the water. One of them was actually pretty huge! If you want a quiet beach area sit over to the far left or far right. It is true there isn’t much shade on the beach but they have recently planted a lot more palm trees so once they are grown it will be a lot better. We never had any issues getting a sun lounger no matter what time we went out. There were always a few Germans that were out reserving beds with their towels at 6am which was funny!

You will find a lot of locals going up and down the beach and to the right of the hotel half way to the Riu Club there are a line of stalls where locals sell souvenirs. Yes they will come up to you and speak to you but it’s all very friendly. If you are not interested just say no thanks and they will leave you alone. Some people complain on here about the locals but it is their beautiful country you are visiting so why can’t they walk along the beach and try to make a few bucks? Little tip they will only speak to you if you are right at the front of the beach so if you sit back a little no one will bother you at all.

The Rooms

These are pretty big with a TV, Bar, Double sink washroom, balcony etc. Our room was clean and we were really happy with it. You will get an electronic safe and there is an iron + ironing board in the cupboard. You also will find an umbrella in there if you need it. The bed for us was super comfortable. I miss it already!

The Food

The buffet was excellent. Normally after a 2 week holiday I get a little bored of the buffet food but at the Palace I never grew tired of it. The selection and quality was better than the aforementioned destinations. Being a Palace I believe the selection of food may be a little better and the way it’s so well presented and kept so fresh was excellent. The Jerk Chicken shack is so good! This is done on the beach every day from 12pm until they run out! We only made it to ‘Crystal’ as we didn’t fancy the other special restaurants (there is Italian, Japanese, Steakhouse and Crystal) Crystal is a nice modern feeling fusion restaurant. Guess what its not Michelin Stared!! and no its not going to blow your mind before anyone gives the hotel a 1* for this! Its really nice though and it just makes it feel a bit varied going somewhere else. Guys have to wear long trousers and a shirt with collar for the Japanese and Crystal restaurants.

The Entertainment

Some of the evening shows were hit and miss but we really enjoyed most of the shows here. The entertainment team of Hotdog, Black Fox, Popcorn, Neil, Chicken, Sweetie, Tweetie and Sandy were first class. The amount of energy these guys have is amazing. One night after a reggae band had performed they gave us an impromptu dance off on stage for an hour. They are so funny to watch and really made a big difference to our holiday. We really enjoyed the live band and singers the most. The entertainment team are busy all day and you can get involved as much or as little as you like. Some of the ice breaker games they do before the show are better than the show itself and so funny.

The Staff

What we really enjoyed about Jamaica was being able to speak the same language as the locals. It makes such a difference being able to speak to every person here rather than the usual ‘Hola’. The locals on the beach, the maids, even the gardeners are all so nice to speak to. Rusty, one of the gardeners, would always say hello to us and our maid, Yvonne, was also lovely. The guys you see most of all are the waiters. They usually have their own sections and you will probably find you tend to go back to the same section each time at breakfast and dinner. Damian at Breakfast and Ragga at Dinner were great guys and would work so hard to make sure you did not want for anything. Damian would have a seat for us ready in the morning and knew what drinks you want and I enjoyed our chats about football (that’s soccer to my American friends) Ragga was great as well. Put it this way with all the staff your glass is never empty and you feel like it’s a restaurant service within a buffet so it’s a lot more civilised!

The Hotel

This hotel is pretty small if you’re used to some of the massive hotels in places like Mexico. We liked the size of it though as from our room in block 6 all the way to the far end of the grounds it was only a 2 minute walk to the restaurant, or 2 mins the other way to get to the beach. It’s really well kept, the grounds are immaculate and everything is spotless. The 2 pools are normally quite busy with people getting their drink on! We didn’t actually go in the pool once as we stayed at the beach. If you enjoy sitting in a pool all day drinking then this will be right up your street!

Some tips

Don’t bother taking Jamaican money. Everything is in US dollars. Even outside the hotel.

The hotel shop – Doesn’t have much of a choice when it comes to toiletries and service can be a little slow.

The Gym – it’s really quiet and has a couple treadmills, cross trainers and spinning and regular bikes. You have a rowing machine, multi gym free weights and a couple of Swiss balls. I used it a few times in the morning and afternoon (making more room for red stripe and chicken) and there were never more than 3 people in there.

We aren’t usually big tippers, coming from the UK, but we tipped quite a lot as the service we received throughout this hotel was excellent, whether you tip the staff or not. Again a few weird reviews on here where they felt staff expected tips. We didn’t see that at all!

A final comment if you’re trying to decide on going to the Riu Club just down the road or a 5 min walk on the beach. You can go there as well if you stay at the Palace and use all their facilities, food, drink etc. However you cannot come to the Palace if you stay at the Club. The Palace is a much smaller hotel and I would say suited us a lot more as a couple looking for a relaxing beach holiday. There is more of a selection food wise at the Palace and you really notice there are more staff at the Palace compared to the club. If I had children who loved a pool then I would go to the Club as it felt a bit more family orientated and they have 2 large pools not so focused on the swim up bar like the Palace is! This would be the only reason I would chose the Club over the Palace though.

Also if you want to venture out you can get a taxi from reception for $30 return to get up to Ricks Café or Ivans next door. Both worth a look as its nice to get out of the Hotel. I’m sure there is a cheaper way of getting there but this felt the safest to us.

Thanks for a great holiday to everyone at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay!

Room Tip: Block 6 is at the very far right hand side as you look at the hotel from the beach. The part of the...
13 Thank Simon V
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

My fiance and I stayed at Riu Palace Tropical Bay from May 12-18 with one other couple and had such an amazing time. I'll break my review down into two sections: the good and the not so great, with the not so great first, as there's not much in that category.

*Not so good*

-The bed: many other reviewers echo the same sentiment, so listen up--the beds here suck and I don't just mean because they're two full size beds jammed together with king sized linens over them. They're really uncomfortable because they're hard as rocks. If you like a super firm mattress, you're in luck! The pillows were like cases stuffed with cotton balls--they offered zero support and that's the only kind they have. Additionally, the linens were like sandpaper. I'm not picky when it comes to any of those things: I'm usually the kind of person who can sleep comfortably anywhere. But the whole bedding situation at this resort was just not good. So: be prepared for a firm mattress and I'd definitely bring a pillow from home, as well as a soft blanket to sleep on top of or put over you. Trust me, the grittiness of the sheets is magnified after you've been out sunbathing all day.

-The "beach vendors": be prepared to be offered everything from an 8 ball of cocaine to name bracelets, tirelessly. Apparently, in other parts of Jamaica, these beach vendors must stay in the water and cannot approach you until you summon them. That's not the case at this resort. They wander the beach all day long, day after day, trying to get you to look at their wares. Most of them are nice, and a bit of kindness and "no thanks!" (repeatedly, day after day!) sends them on their way. Some aren't so nice and want to know why on Earth you don't want them to braid your hair. Some are plain annoying, calling women "wifey" and making you suffer through what appears to be Tourette-like bouts of singing "Pretty Woman, are you ready for me?" If you' decide to walk down to the "lesser" Riu that you have access to, you must travel past all of their shops, so be forewarned: you'll almost wish you swam down instead.

*The good stuff*

-The water: in a word...breathtaking. So blue, so clear and generally pretty warm.

-The sunsets: if you've had a clear day, the sunsets are fantastic and what this area is known for.

-The drinks: if you don't have a go-to drink or want to experiment, try the "Cocktail of the Day" each day and find a favorite. If you're there long enough/frequent the bars enough, you begin to get to know the bartenders, and they you. Ask them to mix up their "special" for you, as each one has a signature drink. Yum! Also, bring your own cup with a reusable straw. Something that's Tervis like. They have no issue filling those up for you, no matter how big.

-The food: the buffet offers a huge selection that even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy at breakfast and dinner. It is not, however, open for lunch. We ate at Hakuchi (Japanese/Sushi) and Krystal (Steakhouse/Fusion) and both were so, so good. Not like at other resorts, where you're essentially served the same food that's on the buffet. Men have to wear pants and you have to make reservations ahead of time for the specialty restaurants. The lunchtime Jerk chicken hut is pretty tasty, although the Jerk sauce is WAY too hot for my tastebuds. There's a restaurant across from the Jerk hut where you can go to sit down with table service and it has its own lunch buffet. No dress code, since it's a lunch buffet.

-The people: I have to say, the people working at this resort blew all others we've been to out of the water. They're all just SO incredibly friendly and accomodating and not at all in a fakey, forced way. They really seem like they enjoy making you happy. Notable people at this resort for us were Latoya and Marsha at the pool bar and Chad at Hakuchi. That's not to say there weren't many others who were so great to encounter every day--that's just all I can remember right now.

This is all just my take. I had a great time, as did the other 3 I traveled with. I'm so glad we chose this resort and although the goal is to not repeat destinations for a while, I would not hesitate to come back to this resort at all. What a great time!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Emily Z
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

Went to the Riu Tropical Palace in Negril for my nieces wedding. It was picture perfect, ceremony and dinner on the beach, went without a hitch. Room was spacious and well appointed, with dark wood and floral bedspread. Large bathroom and dressing area. View of the ocean in the distance over a well tended garden. The beach at Negril is beautiful and calm. Food was very good, lots of choice, with some Caribbean dishes, italian food was usually mediocre with overcooked pasta and cardboard pizza. Overall very good however. You get an impression that the staff is underpaid and relies on tips, although no behavior was too high pressured regarding tips. Good value for the money.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank ThomasNYC2
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

We just got back from our trip to Riu Palace Tropical Bay, and it was a great trip! First, the negatives:
-It is a LONG bus ride from the airport. Our driver from JTL was great though, he stopped and let us pick up a few Red Stripes at a corner store, that made the ride a bit more bearable! He was great though, he answered all of the questions we had.
-The rooms are a bit dated, and we didn't have a working phone in our room the entire trip. we never ordered room service, so it wasn't a big deal. Our power went out the first night as well, but luckily the room stayed cool enough to be bearable. The beds are a bit hard, but not terrible. if you like big pillows, try and order more. you only get 4, and they are thin.
-The weather in May is a bit crazy, it was gorgeous out from like 6am-Noon, but then it started to get cloudy and rained for a bit every day. so if you are a late riser, Jamaica during the rainy season probably isn't for you. it usually didn't last long (except on our last day...) so it wasn't bad.

Now for the good:
-Food was great, even at the buffets you could always find something to eat. there were a bunch of staples, but usually they threw new stuff out there each day. Dinner especially. The specialty restaurants are all great, we didn't have a bad meal once. they also don't require shoes for men (sandals) which was a plus! The jerk chicken shack is really great too! but get there early! they only are open until they run out.
-Drinks were all well made, and we rarely had to wait for a drink. they do have the small plastic glassware during the day, so if you don't want to keep going back to the bar, bring a big tumbler cup. they will fill up whatever you give them.
-Entertainment was surprisingly good! usually I find the shows at resorts like this very corny, and don't interest me, I went to almost every one! Michael Jackson tribute was especially good. The entertainment crew (Tweety, Sweetie, Popcorn, Fox and Chicken) were great as well. they were always talking to people, making sure you were having fun. I don't know how they are able to keep so cheerful with the hours they work.
-The pool was a bit small, and tended to have a film of sunscreen if there were a lot of people there. Lots of seating within the pool though (loungers, tables, etc) as well as the bar itself. we mostly kept to the beach, which was amazing! so clean, and the water was so clear. You could actually swim out there as well. I know a lot of places rope off a very shallow area, but here it was at least 7-8 ft deep.

All in all, I would definitely return to the Riu, and probably will try it at another destination one day!

2 Thank MBres_007
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

We just returned from our Trip to Negril. We travelled as a group of 12, all between 30-40, singles and couples mixed.

We had a blast. I was very nervous after reading some of the negative reviews on here, and have to say I did not agree with a lot of them. Was this a 5-Star resort, probably not ... but it was pretty close - especially for the money!!

Views were really nice, sun sets in the dead center of the resort, you can see it from the lobby and the restaurants. Somehow there was a breeze throughout the common areas most of the time. No one was overly hot.

Room: The rooms are slightly dated (décor) but very clean which is the most important part. Our fridge was restocked every day with plenty of bottled water, sodas and Red Stripes. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room, but it worked great. Had an iron and ironing board. Hair Dryer was useless - but that is true with most hotels!

Pool: Smaller than most other resorts, but the hotel is smaller, so there was never a crowding issue. Also very clean and lots of seating IN the pool which was great. We spent more time at the beach, but finding a chair was never a problem - even for a large group.

Beach: AMAZING. The water was so calm and gorgeous. Again, no problems getting chairs, even for a group of 12. They rake the beach every day. There was no seaweed in the water. I would recommend bringing a raft - you can float for hours! You will hear vendors all day long trying to sell stuff or sing to you, but if you are friendly and say "no thanks" they move right a long. They aren't allowed to come up close to the resort - so if it really bothers you, you can just move away from the water line.

Food: Food was really good. Far better than other all inclusives I have been to. It's not Flemming's --- but we didn't have any major complaints. Jerk Chicken hut was very good.

Drinks: Great!! Thought they were quite strong and they had plenty to choose from. Recommend bringing a big insulated cup if you want to drink at the beach. They do have service down there but it was sporadic - so it was easier to just get a bigger drink at the bar.

Service: Everyone was super friendly. There are people all over keeping up with the grounds. The entertainment staff was really fun. I normally find them corny at resorts, but thought this group was great. Tweety, Sweetie, Chicken and Popcorn (I know I am leaving a few out). They work crazy long hours and somehow manage to be pleasant to everyone! I was surprised at how many people they were able to get involved in all of the activities.

Negatives: It is a LONG ride from the airport. We were there for 6 days, so we had the time ... but if you are doing a quick trip - I would probably go to Montego Bay. Random, but there are very few public restrooms. Nothing near the beach or the pool.

Tipping certainly helps, but no one was rude if you didn't tip.

5 Thank 1250T