We had a great experience at Riu Tropical Bay!! We stayed March 23-29, 2014.
We experienced a wonderful wait staff, bartenders, entertainment staff...HotDawg, Chicken, Neil, Sheldon, Jello, Andrew, Kenneil...all made it awesome!! Buffet was good, although was disappointed with the fruit- very blah. You need to make reservations at the specialty restaurants and they only have 2 seatings each night (6:30 and 9). We ate at 2 of the restaurants, and it was ok, nothing to rave about. The sun was just setting at 6:30, so we didn't like that time to eat, but 9 was too late to eat. (I wish they would have different times). Men need long pants for a couple of the specialty restaurants and shirts with sleeves. My husband was not allowed entrance at the buffet with a sleeveless top one day, but did the next day, so I think the buffet depends on who is there when you enter. Just be prepared to be turned away for no sleeves. Try the jerk hut on the beach right away at noon when it opens- chicken is great! If you wait until later, the food gets cold.
CONS: There is NO hot tub...it is connected to a pool and does not have different temperature water (same as pool temp). The pool and pool bar close at 6, which stinks when you are having fun and enjoying happy hour. The bathrooms are quite a distance from the beach and pools and when people never leave the pool- you KNOW they are using it as their bathroom. Very gross. They need to get a restroom closer to the beach/pool area. And the people who actually use the bathrooms that are coming from the pool/beach leave sand and water all over the bathroom.
You will CONSTANTLY be approached by locals (on the beach) to purchase their goods...including marijuana, mushrooms, "brownies", and "cake." You will be asked, "You smoke?" If you say no or no thanks and walk away, they do leave you alone. But, it is very prevalent and common to see locals smoking joints and drug exchanges going on right in front of you on the beach.
Overall, we would return to tomorrow! It was wonderful and the positives of this trip outweigh the negatives by millions! Thank you Riu Tropical Bay for a wonderful vacation!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TravelUp, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica