I just got back yesterday from this resort where I stayed for a week.
One thing this place has that has to be noted right away is the excellent beach. Nice clean almost white sands with no sharp sea shells. The water is warm and a nice turquoise colours. One day we took a walk down to the other Riu which is not a "palace" and that beach definitely was not as nice and was more crowded.
That went really well. There was 8 in the party I was travelling with and we ended up getting our own small bus from the airport. It only cost $20 each.
We got there before the big bus with all the other people arriving that day and as a result we had virtually no wait. The front desk clerk was great and there was a nice lady serving us rum juice drinks.
When we arrived in our room, we were happy to see the fully stocked bar (2 rums, 1 brandy and 1 vodka bottle) and fridge ( 5 red Stripe, Coke, Sprite and water).
It took us a couple of days to empty the fridge but with one call to the front desk, we had it replenished while we ate supper.
The rooms were clean and spacious. I only saw a lizard once and it was just outside our room and not inside. The balcony had a nice beach view and was a nice place to smoke.
The only complaint I have about the room is the shower. It's nice looking but not very practical and the safety bar that you hang on to was very loose and a potential safety hazard. We called to have it fixed and it never got done.
We did not bother with the restaurants that require a reservation. We stuck with the buffet the entire time there. We had no problem with that as there was a good selection of things to eat and the food was good for the most part.
Breakfast is also served at the buffet and it's a large selection of continental items as well as bacon, sausage and eggs done just about any way you can imagine.
Lunch buffet was probably the worse of them all. I ended up going to the beach hut where the jerk stand is and getting that for lunch on most days. It's really good; do not miss out!
Service is good but if you want better than good you need to tip. You do not have to give all that much; a buck here a buck there. One night my partner and I hung out at a bar for a little while and I gave her $5 after the second drink and did not tip anymore for the rest of the night. My beer refils were coming before I finished. You will get quicker service if you tip; it's like anywhere else. Bring lot's of $5 and $1 bills if you can.
If you are thinking of going here, I would recommend it. This may not be the best place for small children though. The Riu Negril down the beach is probably a better option for families.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TravelUp, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica