“1rst time to Jamaica!!!”

Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #20 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Bellevue, Iowa
“1rst time to Jamaica!!!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Riu Palace Tropical Bay was AWESOME!!! We had a wonderful time there and would go back again!! Service was way beyond other places that we`ve been. They really make accomodations wonderful!! We had an incident the 2nd night we were there, the upstairs room above us, their toilet overflowed and ran into our room on the 2nd floor. They put us on the bottom floor in a luxury suite! It was a very nice room, but the next day I went back up to our room on the 2nd floor and requested our room back! The maid was there cleaning it and said it was perfectly dried out and nothing appeared wrong. We went back to our room and enjoyed the rest of our stay! The views from the 2nd floor are spectacular!!!!!!!! We were in the 3rd building and it was very quiet!!! We stayed in room 3114 and would recommend it to everyone!!!! AWESOME views of the ocean!!!!! And QUIET!!! The only thing I did not like about this resort was the fact that kids are allowed. We were on a vacation and everytime I saw kids, I missed mine!! It would be an AWESOME NO KIDS resort!! But seemed very accommodating to those having kids with them! The food was good! We traveled with 2 other couples and they all agreed food was good! The Steakhouse is very hard to get into, I recommend getting reservations for it the day you get there. We were never able to go. Did have reservations for one of the other restaurants under the main lobby and did not like it at all!!!! But the main buffet every morning and night had lots to choose from and even has certain nights the make food from certain countries. One night we had Mexican which was a favorite for our group!!!! The one thing I`d like to brag about the most is the beach!!!! OMG!!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!! LOVED THE BEACH HERE!!!!!!! Beautiful, clean and full of sea life!!! Got to see 2stingrays early in the morning and lots of starfish towards the end of our trip! Fish everyday!! Be sure to feed the fish while you are swimming! They love the breadcrumbs! You`ll have tons of them around you!!! Lots of people walking along the beach are offered smokes (marijuana) Very irritating, but that's what you get in another country! Wished the weren't so bothersome, but just tell them no and they go away! But it would've been nice to have a peaceful walk hand in hand with my husband :( Lots of vendors on the beach also. The shop in the resort also has nice things to take home, but I do recommend going to Time Square for any tshirts or other things you want to take home with you, they had a very nice variety! Low prices also. Cab fares are reasonable, Rick`s Café definitely fun and Margaritaville was fun too, but not what I expected! Kind of run down! But we had fun on the inflatables out in the water! Definitely a fun vacation!

Room Tip: The third building was VERY quiet and I would highly recommend it! We stayed in room 3114! Thought...
10 Thank ValjH70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,284)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 6, 2014

First trip to Jamaica. Read reviews and picked Hotel Riu Palace. Met several couples that visit Jamaica once or twice per year and they said this is the best beach, best resort. I agree. Every staff member was happy and glad to help. All inclusive was the best idea. I kept my phone and wallet in our room safe the whole trip. I tipped on our last day, but I really didn't see other people tipping during the stay. Walked the beach every morning; water aerobics at 10:00 am; jumped on the Hobie Cat and sailed the bay whenever the wind picked up; read and napped on the beach; glass was never empty; took snorkel trip to Rick's; live shows every night. Mostly couples. Hour and a half bus ride to hotel was fun (funny driver and cooler of Red Stripe) and scenic. Room was not too far from dining and pool. Downside - Mattress was too firm for me. You will not be disappointed. Ya mon.

Room Tip: Stay close to dining area because you make a lot of trips. Make sure door does not face adjacent hi...
5 Thank Ron P
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My company had a work outing to Negril and chose this resort! This was my first time in Jamaica, and my first time at an all-inclusive resort, so because I don't have a lot to compare my experience with, I will just talk about what a lovely place this is! However, I will begin with the negatives.

1. No snacks. As a very active person, I need to fuel myself after running/ swimming around. The only snacks were at the gift store and they were a bit pricey. You do have a refrigerator full of Red Stripe, which is awesome, but a bag of trail mix would have been perfect. :)

2. Mosquitos in the rooms. Obviously you can't do anything about them being outside- I actually don't even remember bugs being a problem outside. Only in the rooms, which I thought was weird.

3. Water wouldn't be on at times/ Toilets wouldn't always flush. During the day, I think they would turn one temperature off at a time, which isn't a huge deal considering you probably won't spend much time in your room. But one cold shower is one cold shower.

Ok, now for the positives!

1. Staff was SUPER friendly. Everyone was great- from the front desk, to the waitresses and bartenders, to the cleaning staff, everyone was great!

2. Entertainment! Every day there was a group of locals who would always have some type of games/ contests to energize the vacationers! So much fun!

3. BEAUTIFUL views. Just breathtaking. See for yourself as my words won't do justice.

4. Meals were delicious. Breakfast and lunch buffet as well as nice restaurants.

5. Clean rooms! Balconies for every room!

6. Unlimited supplies of bottled water.

7. Pools are great!

One last thing, I was the only single person in my group- everyone of my coworkers is married, and this was a great place for couples! Very romantic. If you're single, or even a couple of single girls or guys looking for a vacation, I don't think I would recommend this place. Most people are here with their significant others.

Overall, I'm VERY impressed!

Room Tip: My room wasn't ocean view, I think it was called the "junior suite," but I still had a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kathryn D
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Our first all-inclusive resort stay, as we have taken numerous cruises. Didn't know how we would like it, but we really would go back here again. The beach with its clean sand and palm trees was absolutely beautiful! It was really long so accomodated everyone just fine. We took the Hobie Cat sailboat out twice, found starfish just off the shore, watched the sun set, and listened to the gently rolling waves. Had an outstanding couples massage in the cabana. Loved loved loved the food at the Negril restaurant (what choices!), but won't recommend the Steakhouse. Went to the Chukka zip line, Negril Golf Course and Rick's Cafe (and jumped!) Very nice stay.

Room Tip: No elevators. Ocean view upper level is awesome (unit 6 at the far west end).
gladebrook
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I am handicapped, so if you are handipped, please book the rooms on the first floor..easy to get to - and they have plenty of ramps..there is NO ELEVATOR ..very good buffets, the Krystal restaurand is the best..up town..like steak tartar,,beet soup which is lovely...we did have cold water the first three days..but I'm not a complainer..Staff was A_ONE - Bar were fun - floor shows, except for the last one (Jamaica Days) wasn't what I could listen too..so took out drinks for the beach. They will allow you to take a covered drink to your room if you want to relax in or have a show you want to see...fresh big beach towels everyday..take less - tip the waiters/waitresses..

Room Tip: There are plus+ steps to walk up and down, so if you don't like carrying cases up and down steps...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank gladebrook
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 4, 2014

5 stars **** Our first time at a Riu, an all inclusive, and Jamaica. We have absolutely not one negative thing to say. The employees here are ALL super friendly, polite, and helpful. We only ate at the Nigril restaurant as the variety and quality was very good. Mario, our waiter at breakfast and Jacquiline, our waitress at dinner were second to none, very attentive and friendly. There is so much to do, we spent all 6 days on the resort. There are plenty of activities from vendors in the lobby and from the beach. The beach vendors were polite and a simple No Thank You, was all that was needed if you weren't ready to purchase. The white sand beach is fantastic and so is the water in Bloody Bay, clear, warm, and a firm sand bottom. We enjoyed feeding the fish. The grounds are well kept. If you like to drink, bring your own mug, as we noticed people going to the bar to have them filled with their favorite beverage.

Room Tip: Building 1 and 6 are farthest from the pool and entertainment. So quieter.
8 Thank David F
Levis, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My wife and I just came back from a 2 weeks stay in this hotel and we had a wonderful vacation.
The staff are very friendly and extremely helpfull when you need help.
Food was whitout a doubt an excellent experience. We went twice to the Japanese, The Crystal and the Steakhouse and everytime we had and delicious supper experience.
We took junior suit with garden view, before leaving I sent and email asking for a 3rd floor in a quiet place and sur enough we were provided with that kind of room.
A few day before leaving my wife forgot her pair of sandalls on the beach, when i inquire about it the next morning on one of the beach staff he mentionned that he hadnt seen it but when we came back 30mins. later her sandals were on a chair just where we use to sit on the beach. I am sur he had inquire about it to his co-woker and he found it for us, thanks for their honesty.
Also there was a misunderstanding on the morning we left, the bus to pick us was not there and the staff at the reception worked very hard to have that fix since our sunwing representative were not present at the moment. Tks again for the staff of this hotel.
Once again great vacation and this hotel has the best beach around.

André
Levis Qc Ca.

Room Tip: Our room was 6320 and I didnt regret it.
8 Thank Andre M