“Escape from Chicago”

Ranked #21 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Chicago, Illinois
“Escape from Chicago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

First trip to Jamaica. Read reviews and picked Hotel Riu Palace. Met several couples that visit Jamaica once or twice per year and they said this is the best beach, best resort. I agree. Every staff member was happy and glad to help. All inclusive was the best idea. I kept my phone and wallet in our room safe the whole trip. I tipped on our last day, but I really didn't see other people tipping during the stay. Walked the beach every morning; water aerobics at 10:00 am; jumped on the Hobie Cat and sailed the bay whenever the wind picked up; read and napped on the beach; glass was never empty; took snorkel trip to Rick's; live shows every night. Mostly couples. Hour and a half bus ride to hotel was fun (funny driver and cooler of Red Stripe) and scenic. Room was not too far from dining and pool. Downside - Mattress was too firm for me. You will not be disappointed. Ya mon.

Room Tip: Stay close to dining area because you make a lot of trips. Make sure door does not face adjacent hi...
5 Thank Ron P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,274)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

My company had a work outing to Negril and chose this resort! This was my first time in Jamaica, and my first time at an all-inclusive resort, so because I don't have a lot to compare my experience with, I will just talk about what a lovely place this is! However, I will begin with the negatives.

1. No snacks. As a very active person, I need to fuel myself after running/ swimming around. The only snacks were at the gift store and they were a bit pricey. You do have a refrigerator full of Red Stripe, which is awesome, but a bag of trail mix would have been perfect. :)

2. Mosquitos in the rooms. Obviously you can't do anything about them being outside- I actually don't even remember bugs being a problem outside. Only in the rooms, which I thought was weird.

3. Water wouldn't be on at times/ Toilets wouldn't always flush. During the day, I think they would turn one temperature off at a time, which isn't a huge deal considering you probably won't spend much time in your room. But one cold shower is one cold shower.

Ok, now for the positives!

1. Staff was SUPER friendly. Everyone was great- from the front desk, to the waitresses and bartenders, to the cleaning staff, everyone was great!

2. Entertainment! Every day there was a group of locals who would always have some type of games/ contests to energize the vacationers! So much fun!

3. BEAUTIFUL views. Just breathtaking. See for yourself as my words won't do justice.

4. Meals were delicious. Breakfast and lunch buffet as well as nice restaurants.

5. Clean rooms! Balconies for every room!

6. Unlimited supplies of bottled water.

7. Pools are great!

One last thing, I was the only single person in my group- everyone of my coworkers is married, and this was a great place for couples! Very romantic. If you're single, or even a couple of single girls or guys looking for a vacation, I don't think I would recommend this place. Most people are here with their significant others.

Overall, I'm VERY impressed!

Room Tip: My room wasn't ocean view, I think it was called the "junior suite," but I still had a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kathryn D
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Our first all-inclusive resort stay, as we have taken numerous cruises. Didn't know how we would like it, but we really would go back here again. The beach with its clean sand and palm trees was absolutely beautiful! It was really long so accomodated everyone just fine. We took the Hobie Cat sailboat out twice, found starfish just off the shore, watched the sun set, and listened to the gently rolling waves. Had an outstanding couples massage in the cabana. Loved loved loved the food at the Negril restaurant (what choices!), but won't recommend the Steakhouse. Went to the Chukka zip line, Negril Golf Course and Rick's Cafe (and jumped!) Very nice stay.

Room Tip: No elevators. Ocean view upper level is awesome (unit 6 at the far west end).
gladebrook
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I am handicapped, so if you are handipped, please book the rooms on the first floor..easy to get to - and they have plenty of ramps..there is NO ELEVATOR ..very good buffets, the Krystal restaurand is the best..up town..like steak tartar,,beet soup which is lovely...we did have cold water the first three days..but I'm not a complainer..Staff was A_ONE - Bar were fun - floor shows, except for the last one (Jamaica Days) wasn't what I could listen too..so took out drinks for the beach. They will allow you to take a covered drink to your room if you want to relax in or have a show you want to see...fresh big beach towels everyday..take less - tip the waiters/waitresses..

Room Tip: There are plus+ steps to walk up and down, so if you don't like carrying cases up and down steps...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank gladebrook
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

5 stars **** Our first time at a Riu, an all inclusive, and Jamaica. We have absolutely not one negative thing to say. The employees here are ALL super friendly, polite, and helpful. We only ate at the Nigril restaurant as the variety and quality was very good. Mario, our waiter at breakfast and Jacquiline, our waitress at dinner were second to none, very attentive and friendly. There is so much to do, we spent all 6 days on the resort. There are plenty of activities from vendors in the lobby and from the beach. The beach vendors were polite and a simple No Thank You, was all that was needed if you weren't ready to purchase. The white sand beach is fantastic and so is the water in Bloody Bay, clear, warm, and a firm sand bottom. We enjoyed feeding the fish. The grounds are well kept. If you like to drink, bring your own mug, as we noticed people going to the bar to have them filled with their favorite beverage.

Room Tip: Building 1 and 6 are farthest from the pool and entertainment. So quieter.
8 Thank David F
Levis, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

My wife and I just came back from a 2 weeks stay in this hotel and we had a wonderful vacation.
The staff are very friendly and extremely helpfull when you need help.
Food was whitout a doubt an excellent experience. We went twice to the Japanese, The Crystal and the Steakhouse and everytime we had and delicious supper experience.
We took junior suit with garden view, before leaving I sent and email asking for a 3rd floor in a quiet place and sur enough we were provided with that kind of room.
A few day before leaving my wife forgot her pair of sandalls on the beach, when i inquire about it the next morning on one of the beach staff he mentionned that he hadnt seen it but when we came back 30mins. later her sandals were on a chair just where we use to sit on the beach. I am sur he had inquire about it to his co-woker and he found it for us, thanks for their honesty.
Also there was a misunderstanding on the morning we left, the bus to pick us was not there and the staff at the reception worked very hard to have that fix since our sunwing representative were not present at the moment. Tks again for the staff of this hotel.
Once again great vacation and this hotel has the best beach around.

André
Levis Qc Ca.

Room Tip: Our room was 6320 and I didnt regret it.
8 Thank Andre M
Waterford, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Just returned from Negril where 16 of us (adults) stayed for 5 nights/6 days at the Riu Tropical Palace. Staff was very accommodating, and the food was best at the Steakhouse. Krystal is for romance (not 8 overserved couples) and we enjoyed the food selection. Japanese was very good, especially the sushi. Italian came in 4th place. Buffet was always top notch though! Beach was perfect (reserve your lounger up higher on the sand to avoid the beach vendors) and the water was clear, calm and warm. We took a taxi to Rick's cafe and it cost us each $10 for the roundtrip (driver waited for us and we paid him on the way back). We walked to the sister Riu resort every day for a drink at the pool bar and thought that the Riu TP where we stayed had the better edge in terms of beach and overall resort ammenities. Although, the other Riu was ALOT bigger and the bar was set on the beach. We didn't mind walking to our pool bar though - the serving staff was efficient. Take lots of $1 to tip. I would recommend private transporation from airport (Montego Bay) to resort (we paid extra for it) and it was well worth it. The only complaint about the room was that there was no chain on the ceiling fan so we could not switch it to LOW - plus our fan was noisy. Seems like they turn off the A/C during the night, so it can get a little toasty at night. All of the housekeepers, the waitstaff and servers were great (thanks David and James at check in). A huge shout out to Marianela Torres who takes daily dinner reservations! Thank you for making our guest's birthday celebration at Krystal fantastic! Evening entertainment was good, but most of us girls wanted to get jiggy with it at night so we missed out on that :( ....but thank you Durtle for dancing with me, that was very cool. We met couples that stay here for 2 weeks; and others that stay for a month, so that oughta tell you something. We will definately go back.

Room Tip: Avoid buildings 1 & 2 (too close to road/noisy). We stayed in bldg 5; it was awesome.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends