“check it out”

Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #21 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I have been to this hotel before and always enjoyed my stay but this trip was so wonderful that i had to share!The check in was a breeze and the front desk staff very attentive esp Andrew and Rochelle.Rooms are clean and well stocked drinks and toiletries replenished daily.Entertainment staff work flat out and try to vary the shows they do a good job.Restaurants are clean and the food plentiful and varied.Edgar and Oniel are the chefs who keep everything in shape and do a grand job all the staff are friendly and Chad took good care of us at meal times.Letoya is a sweetheart and always made breakfast time enjoyable.
Ihave read reviews that say the management are never around well i found this to be so wrong the General manager along with the assistant manager and the food and beverage manager are available daily they are friendly and accomodating and always have time for their guests so say hello to them when you visit they are lovely people.Beach is amazing sea calm and clean.You are able to use the other Riu but for us we were happy to stay put!
Ihave stayed at newer Riu hotels in the past but this hotel has the best staff they are superb and i will return in a heart beat.This hotel has improved its gardens the grounds are maintained and pretty and maintenance on the buildings is regularly being done.Thank you all so much for a wonderful stay we love you guys

Room Tip: 2064 corner rooms are suites go for it
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank sandra u

Reviewed January 25, 2014

This beach side hotel wins extra points for the location. We spent every spare moment on the beach as the pool area was very tired looking and in desperate need of a refurbish. Saying that cocktails on the beach, snorkelling and the buffet lunches I thought I was in paradise. The ambience was chilled and friendly. This is down to the staff who have a can do attitude and go out of their way to be friendly without touting for tips. I do think the evening buffet and speciality restaurants are NOT palace quality and get the impression this hotel is classified as a palace due to the superb beach. If you do book a snorkelling trip book it through the hotel. We paid $20 each for a morning snorkelling and the boat picked up and dropped off on the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the beach
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Maggie o
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We just returned from our 3rd trip to the RIU Palace. In the past we have always been very happy with staying there. I've written glowing reviews and recommended the Palace to anyone that would listen. But this time we spent 5 days at the RIU and then 5 days at Hedonism II. Seeing another resort was rather eye opening. The RIU still has beautiful rooms, and the most fantastic beach!! It's elegant and spacious. But it couldn't compete at all with Hedo when it came to the food, the restaurants, the wine, friendliness of staff and the entertainment. Hedo was much, much better!
My suggestions to the RIU - please, I beg you, do something about your wine!!!! The option of only one red and one white, neither of which are any good at all, is disappointing. Hedo had a huge selection of wines. The entertainment crew, although they try hard, really are very unprofessional. Over the past few years I've chalked it up to the fact that we were in Jamaica not Las Vegas. But Hedo puts on a Vegas worthy show with highly talented performers, so it can be done in Jamaica. The food in general needs improvement. I always thought it was good. Loved the Italian restaurant too. But after tasting the food at Hedo, including their restaurants, I realized the food at RIU all tastes the same. Presentation is gorgeous, but it isn't very good. The Italian restaurant at Hedo is phenomenal. And the hibachi style Japanese restaurant at Hedo just puts the Japanese restaurant at the RIU to shame. Not even close.
I only agreed to stay at Hedonism this year as kind of a "bucket list" thing. Figuring that next year I'd return for my 10 days at the RIU. But you know....I'm thinking I'd rather go back to Hedonism. And that is something I never thought I would say!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My best friend and I usually take a cruise over MLK weekend every year. This year we decided to change it up. I was a bit skeptical, well acutally a lot skeptical, after being burned by an all inclusive several years back. I won't say Riu Palace is the Ritz but I will say it is well worth the visit. Neither of us are party animals so a nice day of relaxing on the beach was perfect for us. The water was absolutely amazing. Probably some of the prettiest water I have ever been in. Crsytal blue and the sand was soft with no rocks. It was like being in a swimming pool. The hotel was clean and pleasant. The grounds were well maintained and most all the staff were very friendly. Only once did we feel like a staff member was being rude about a tip. None asked for it however the bell hop made it clear he was not taking our bags to our room unless we went with him. The expectation was clearly a tip and he withdrew his reach when we told him that we were going to explore but yes he could take them. We gave him $2 and then he was happy to carry them for us. That was the only time we felt any pressure to give a tip. The staff were all hardworking and as a result we did tip for good service. The food was ok. Be prepared for buffets. The best thing we had was jerk chicken. It was amazing and we basically ate it everyday for lunch. Try it over a salad. "To die for!" We also booked fine dining. It was not necessarily fine dining but better than a buffet with kids using their hands. Krystal was the best one we tried. The bar service was excellent as well. They certainly do not skip on the alcohol. I am not a huge drinker so maybe I felt it quickly but you can taste it for sure. Also the spa was awesome. We did the River Rock 80 minute massage. Wonderful!!!! So I would definitely say Riu Palace is worth a visit. We will certainly be going back. One thing, if you get motion sickness, like I do, take dramamine for the bus ride to and from the airport! I cannot stress this enough!!. Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean front with a balcony!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank jalaine c
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is our 4th trip back, and just booked our 5th for Spring Break, 86 days, but who's counting! I've said it before but it's the truth, been going to JA since 1998 and hands down this place is the best! From the minute we pull up to the lobby until the sad final moments of our vacation the folks who work there, who we also consider like family, are there waiting with drinks and open arms or sending us off with a delicious coffee creme and hugs. This place is great for a girls weekend or a family trip with kids.

From the wait staff to the bar tenders and waitresses/waiters, entertainment staff, housekeeping and room service personel (Jon ROCKED!!) I can't say enough, they are friendly and attentive and will do whatever they can to make your stay the best it possibly can be!

Make sure you visit Jodeen, Elton, Mr. T and Karon at the lobby bar, Kenneil down at the pool bar, Kumar, Chad and Winston in the dining room and of course Jason and Neil with the Entertainment staff, I promise you you will not be disappointed! Oh and Garfield makes a fantastic omlette!

Some basic tips to make your stay even better....don't forget your insulated mugs, lots of sunscreen because you need to reapply often, smokes (if you smoke) cuz they are over $10 a pack there, benedryl cream for the "no-see-umms" AKA sand fleas and mosquitoes, and a "floatie" if you wanna lay in the "wata" all day, they do sell them there but you can imagine the cost of an imported floatie that most just end up leaving there for someone else to use. If you like coffee try the espresso martini OMG they are to die for, just don't drink too many at night if caffeine keeps you up because these things pack a punch! And probably THE most important tip is go there knowing you aren't in Manhattan and things don't happen in a New York minute, patience goes a long way. And as for the locals strolling the beach selling their goods, just remember they are trying to make a living just like we do and a simple no thank you works just fine.

I know the whole topic of tipping is a controversial one because most think "all inclusive" means just that, all inclusive, however these people work hard (for very little in my opinion) to make your stay a great one, and are happy while they do it, they work 6 days a week and some are there 12+ hours a day, a measley couple bucks here and there, or some cool little gifts/trinkets from your home town make a HUGE difference.

Any questions feel free to inbox me!

Room Tip: We've stayed in all different rooms and don't have any complaints, if there is any mobility...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank Walkinthesun09
Reviewed January 23, 2014

20 of us stayed at the riu in the first 2 weeks of October 2013

The hotel was out of this world from the moment we walked into the reception area we knew we were in for a treat. We stayed for 14 nights and had 18 guests as we were getting married there.
All of our guests had no complaints what so ever.

This was our first All inclusive and it was such an experience going with a big group and not having to choose restaurants and work out the bill at the end of each meal was a treat in its self. I want to go back same time this year 2014.

I am so surprised to see complaints on here about food/cleanliness etc because the hotel was spotless room cleaned every day. and the food was just out of this world around the clock!! I think maybe the complaints come from the Americans as they are known to have such higher expectations than us English.

The food was amazing they had every thing you could possibly think of, and fresh every single time. The staff clear away your dirty plates straight away and are there for your every need so make sure you tip a dollar here and there. They really make the holiday even though they are probably low paid they make up for it in tips and are very grateful.

The weather was perfection we all got lovely tans and got sun from 7am till 6pm. maybe a spot of rain for 10mins each day but then it was scorching again. we did the beach every day as it was so stunning, the sea was like having a bath crystal clear and nice and warm.

The wedding package was also excellent the wedding planner Sophia was there for our every need it was definitely the right thing to do getting married in Jamaica the pictures of us with the sunset are priceless.

I cant recommend this hotel enough there is not one thing I could say they could improve on, the staff are just so friendly and laid back and make sure your looked after. I would be happy to visit year in year out. Negril holds lots of happy memories for my husband and I plus all our guests want to re visit.

IT TRUELY IS HEAVEN ON EARTH

its worth every single penny!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: we got a free upgrade when we arrived as we told them it was our wedding venue, we got the best room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2014

First time out of the USA. Loved it! We took our 17 yr old son along..nice resort. Good food. Clean rooms and friendly staff. Very clean beach and such hard workers! Even the beach peddlers didn't bother me. I would stay here again if we come back.

Room Tip: We were in bldg 5. Lots of walking but I needed it! Quiet room on first floor. Marie did a great...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family