We just returned from our 3rd trip to the RIU Palace. In the past we have always been very happy with staying there. I've written glowing reviews and recommended the Palace to anyone that would listen. But this time we spent 5 days at the RIU and then 5 days at Hedonism II. Seeing another resort was rather eye opening. The RIU still has beautiful rooms, and the most fantastic beach!! It's elegant and spacious. But it couldn't compete at all with Hedo when it came to the food, the restaurants, the wine, friendliness of staff and the entertainment. Hedo was much, much better!
My suggestions to the RIU - please, I beg you, do something about your wine!!!! The option of only one red and one white, neither of which are any good at all, is disappointing. Hedo had a huge selection of wines. The entertainment crew, although they try hard, really are very unprofessional. Over the past few years I've chalked it up to the fact that we were in Jamaica not Las Vegas. But Hedo puts on a Vegas worthy show with highly talented performers, so it can be done in Jamaica. The food in general needs improvement. I always thought it was good. Loved the Italian restaurant too. But after tasting the food at Hedo, including their restaurants, I realized the food at RIU all tastes the same. Presentation is gorgeous, but it isn't very good. The Italian restaurant at Hedo is phenomenal. And the hibachi style Japanese restaurant at Hedo just puts the Japanese restaurant at the RIU to shame. Not even close.
I only agreed to stay at Hedonism this year as kind of a "bucket list" thing. Figuring that next year I'd return for my 10 days at the RIU. But you know....I'm thinking I'd rather go back to Hedonism. And that is something I never thought I would say!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Travelocity, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica