“Nice property Riu Palace Tropical Bay”

Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #20 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Windsor, Canada
“Nice property Riu Palace Tropical Bay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Hello once again, just returned home from this hotel. Stayed from December 7-14-13.
I really liked the location of the hotel and layout of property was great. No elevators but
getting around was quit easy. Staff and cleanliness was exceptional. The food was great
don't think anyone would go hungry here, if a person could not find anything to eat then they must be very picky.
The alacarte restaurants were great but don't be in a rush the food was spread out, The person setting up reservations allowed us to book for two days at a time which was great. Her service was great always pleasant so the odd tip wouldn't hurt great service!.
The ocean was like bath water and almost clean like it too. The staff was always cleaning and very friendly and helpful in any way they could help. This property is a palace resort under the Riu standards. It was smaller than the hotel Club Riu just a short walk up the beach. Actually a good walk maybe 20 minutes to walk and in-between the properties were local people selling their crafts.
We did go into Negril with the shuttle service that is set right up at the front of the main lobby and paid only $10nus pp round trip. Great price. they will take you first to a smaller shopping area not as nice as the Time Square Plaza so don't go spending all the money thinking that you won't be making any other stops. Loved the Time Square Plaza tons of stuff to choose from and prices were excellent favourite store is number #10 they had the lowest of all prices. Here you could buy rum cream, coffee, clothes and vanilla. The prices were surprising low Rum cream $3 Vanilla pure was $6 and did not contain (cumarin). Coffee was cheap as well. that tour was about 2hours yes you can change the time if needed.
The entertainment at night started at 930pm was very good but get to the terrace very early gets very busy so if you want a good seat go early. Drinks were great we loved them. Hummingbirds very good. The hotel caters to couples, families I would not suggest it to a single person but if you want to go and have fun and lay back this is a great place for you. There were a few weddings on the beach highly recommend it just like getting married here or in the USA but with more romance.
There are 2 gift shops one inside the hotel just off the main lobby and one on the beach i thought the prices were great and the service was great sales people very helpful.
The rooms were beautiful, beds a little hard but in all rooms kept up too standards.
The mini fridge in each room carried water, beer and soda.
Well I hope I have covered enough information on this hotel it is a Palace but is smaller
Than the other hotel and no there was no disco at the Riu Palace but you may go to the
Club Riu but you are responsible to get yourself there and back. Also you are not able
To get reservations at the Club Riu but can eat at the buffets there.
Sure hope this helps yes I would go back to either hotel love the Riu’s. If you should have
Any other questions please feel free to email me.
Hope everyone has as great a time as we did.
Bye for now
Oh yes I almost forgot we met a great couple from Canada, They were great peole thanks
We still like you both even though you like those M.C. we won’t hold that again you…
“smile”
Pamela

Room Tip: Quality of Alcohol great . Ocean front rooms location was great we were furthest away but close to...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank pauffret

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,275)
  • Polish first
Lawnside, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

My wife and I travelled here last November 2012 over Thanksgiving. We arrived into Jamaica for our first time and immediately felt at home. A transfer of about an hour and a half was safe and informative. Our driver talked to us about what we were passing, and approaching. Arrived at the resort, easy check in, no issues and had a beachfront room on the end 2nd floor.

Room was clean, cool, and comfortable. Cleaned everyday, plenty of towels. Keep your valuables locked in the room safe if you feel you should. Our Mini Fridge was stocked every day with Red Strip, Coke Cola, Juice and Wata. Beach was beautiful. Best beach we have been to. Sand was clean and soft, water was beautiful, clear and clean. Plenty of loungers and shade. There are people walking the beach trying to make a living yes, they are selling bracelets, necklaces, cigars, cigarettes, cover ups, yes marajuana. They walk along the water and try and sell this stuff. They cannot come up to you while you are relaxing, you have to go talk to them. A polite "No thanks mon" or a "Respect Mon" and they are on their way. Guys on the beach playing music was really cool. Guys carrying steel drums, guitars and the wooden box would walk and play 2-3 songs, pick up and move down 50-75 yards and do it again. They do this for half the end of the day. A couple bucks tip to those guys goes a long way.

The food, was great. Breakfast always had fresh fruit, pancake bar, Omelette bar, plenty of options. The Jerk Hut was great to grab something to tie you over till dinner. Dinner buffet was great as well. You have the option to eat inside or out. The Resturant Dinners wer ok as well. The only problem we had with this was reservations were only 6:30 and 9:30.

Entertainment. I personally thought out of all the resorts we have been to was the best. They have a House band that plays Reggea for an hour or so before the entertainment starts. Our favorites were the Fire Show and the Steel Drum band.

Service, Outstanding, from the bell hops to the groundskeepers. Everyone always greeted you with a more than a goodmorning. "Yeah Mon, beautiful day. You enjoying yourself" Everyone was outstanding, really really enjoyed talking to everyone.

Only issue, and I say this with minimal speak was the kids. At times, you had little Johnny throwing his toys in the pool and jumping in and splashing and yelling. Then Little Johnny would cry and scream beacause Big Brother Timmy got all the toys at the bottom. I use those names figureatively. They were not specific names. But a couple drinks and somehow my wife and I would tune them out.

We did the Snorkel Catamaran Cruise to Ricks Cafe. Awesome. It did rain while we were out there in the water but who cares. We did the cliff jumping at Ricks which was really cool as well

Overall it was great trip. The weather was great, service was great, food was great, Drinks were plentiful. Can't wait to return. Make sure you tell David at the Bell hop we were asking about him, as he has become a family friend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JerseyCasey11
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Let me start by saying that I really don t understand the negative comments about this place as it was simply gorgeous.

We travelled from Nov 1st to Nov 15th 2013. Upon our arrival, at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay in Negril, we were greeted with a nice cold drink. We were lucky, our initial room was ready. It was a very decent room but my husband wanted to surprise me couple of days later, since we were there to celebrate my 50th birthday, and decided to upgrade our junior front ocean suite to a front ocean Suite on the 3rd floor. It was simply amazing. Spacious, nice decor, 2 big closets, living room, flat screen, huge balcony etc…

Hotel
Food was great in every restaurants (we tried them all). Jerk chicken is a must try. So delicious. Temperature was great and rarely less than 30 degrees every day. We had 15 sunny days, little rain almost every afternoon for an hour or so which did not bother us (end of rain season) at all since we are early birds and at the beach at 8 am and by that time, we had taken our share of tanning for the day. No need to get up at 6 am to reserve your chairs, there is enough places for everyone no matter at what time you show up. Beach at the hotel is not white sand but golden. Water was amazing. I even swam with a stingray and crabs… Staff is fantastic and Managers were very present and I need to say that one of them is really useless... You will recognize him right away is always in the buffet dining room...he doesn’t bother to acknowledge you as you are walking in,...he just stands there looking around. He is lucky that I was not his manager… I would have fired him on the spot otherwise, all they others were all fantastic. We had a great time!

Excursions
We did at least 5 excursions. Rick’s café for the sunset, Margarita Ville on the 7 miles beach, Catamaran to Half-moon bay, and seen 2 Falls, Dunns Falls river in ocho rios and another one. All these activities were great and not too pricy. Should you wish to go shopping I recommend that you only go to Time Square shopping center, the other places are not worth. I went jewelry shopping as I love rings and I like the fact that no one in my country will have the same ring as me. I went to the Tropicana and the Royal Shop in Time Square Negril. Both places are fantastic I had an excellent service. My sales guy at Royal Shop personally delivered my last purchase at the hotel since I had to get my white gold diamond ring fixed to a smaller size.

I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Krissy-Ann_650
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

My wife and I visited this resort 12-4 thru 12-11-13 for the 5th time. Elaine ( front desk manager) and her staff made our birthday vacation especially fantastic. We stayed in an ocean front suite. We couldn't have picked a better location ( second floor right next to the lunch buffet and jerk chicken grill). We had jerk chicken and red stripe for lunch. ( Life doesn't get much better). The staff at the resort go out of their way to make sure everything you need is taken care of. Paula, our housekeeper kept our suite perfect each day. All the staff at the bars and restaurants were always happy and attentive. Did I mention that Elaine (beautiful and kind) was always willing to help us out. She is the bomb. Bust a move Elaine (Coco).

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger, sunny, and have a bigger patio/deck. We prefer second or third floor for...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeff S
Ewing, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Traveled to Negril Jamaica for the 2013 Reggae Marathon. Great location, food and wi-fi service all over the property. The room's decor was simple and comfortable. Variety of meals were phenomenal, I was not tempted at all to go off property for meals. There was a constant flow of local fruit that brought back memories from my childhood and favorites from the USA. The gym had convenient hours to stay on track while on holiday. The all inclusive non motorized sport activities were great. The activities staff were genuinely friendly and accomodating. I really enjoyed the paddle boat and soca aerobics in the ocean. A definite do over. The instructor was awesome and paced the class appropriately with the guests. That was one of the highlights of the trip. Only complaint was multiple calls for wash cloths and no manager @10 pm. Overall, great stay and recommend staying at this property.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Megan X
Canton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay during the last week of October, 2013. I'm 41 and my wife's 38. Neither of us had ever done an all inclusive, nor had we every travelled to Jamaica. The Riu was a great first experience. The property was beautiful especially looking up at the resort from the beach. The beach was beautiful too. White sand, clear water, plenty of lounge chairs, and the beach was never crowded while we were there. The Jerk Hut has some really great jerk chicken.

In fact, while food quality varied a bit, there was ALWAYS something good to eat no matter where we went, the buffet or the theme restaurants. Some folks complain about the lack of selection in their reviews... seriously? We both found there to be more than adequate selection and found that the food quality was very good at the buffet. While I have never been on a cruise, my wife felt it was equivalent to what she found on the cruises she has taken. All in all, for a buffet, I think the Riu Palace did a great job. If you're like us, you will walk in the first time and be overwhelmed by the choices. Like others, I think breakfast was consistently the best meal of the day. Lunch moves from the main dining room to the other side of the pool. Lunch was also really good. Like the main buffet, some items were better than others, but there was always something both of us could find that we liked and enjoyed. Yes, the buffet becomes a little ho-hum by day 3 or 4.

To mix it up, that's why Riu offers the theme restaurants, which we really enjoyed. You will have to make reservations in the lobby, where a staff member sits from 8 a.m. until around 4 p.m. taking reservations. The earlier you get there the more likely you are to get the place and time you want. Not all of the restaurants will be open on all of the nights. We were able to eat at the Japanese, Italian, and French themed restaurants. We thought they were all good. The steakhouse was closed the entire week of our trip for various special events. That was a glitch but not a big deal really. There are specific seating times, 6:30 and 9:00 p.m. You'll read a lot of complaining about that too, but we didn't find it to be a problem. The entertainment usually starts at 9 p.m. and some people don't want to eat that late, but we had no problems getting into one of the theme restaurants at the time we wanted. Expect several courses. For instance at the French restaurant, you received several small plates without ordering. Then you could select between several appetizers, several entrees, and a few desert options.

Check-in was no problem and we arrived at the resort at 9:30 p.m. We had a standard Garden View Room, which actually did have a view of the ocean from the right angle. No problems with room service or keeping our bar stocked, although I tipped pretty well. I left housekeeping $5 per day and I tipped the guy who stocked the bar every time I saw him too. For that investment, we received fantastic service. The musty smell to the rooms that is mentioned in the reviews? Yeah, a little bit, but we chalked it up to the oppressive and ever present humidity. Despite the humidity and heat, the rooms air conditioning system kept up nicely as long as the sliding glass door and the curtain was closed during the day.

The in-room bar is great and we used it quite a bit. Nice to be able to have a drink in the room when you want it. The fridge is stocked on a daily basis with bottled water, coke, diet coke, 7 up or sprite, soda water, and I think that's it. Yes, the beds are two twins shoved together and yes, the beds tend to want to separate, and yes, that means there's kind of a valley between you and your partner. Not my favorite arrangement but also not the end of the world. Yes, the beds are firm, but we didn't find them uncomfortably so. The linens and bed coverings could use an update.

The hotel staff is very good and many are extraordinary. We have nothing but respect and good feelings for the front desk staff, wait staff, servers, bar tenders, cooks, grounds keepers, maids, the spa staff, and all the people who make the Riu Palace work. They were fantastic.

The pool seems to be the main hangout during the day. The bartenders there are the best. Tipping helps. We met great people there. People from England, Amsterdam, Canada, throughout the U.S., Poland, you name it, people from all over the world, really. We really enjoyed the diversity and had a blast with our fellow guests. Lots of fun wherever we went.

Walk the beach day or night and you will probably get hit up to buy ganja or even "blow." That was a bit of culture shock, but these guys weren't pushy. They have an "office" next to a palm tree near the resort on the beach. There is plenty of weed smoking going on discreetly all over the place, but it's not in your face. If you're into smoking, great! You'll have fun as long as you use your head and are relatively discreet about it. Resort staff did not seem at all concerned about it. If smoking isn't your thing, no problem, mon. When I say discreet, I mean that guests aren't typically smoking in the hotel's public spaces or out in the open.

The Riu is not a huge party resort although there's still plenty of party to be had. You just have to find the right group, which varies from day to day. Many nights, the resort was a ghost town after 11 p.m. On the other hand, one night, 18 of us turned the lobby bar into an all night dance club. The poor bartender will no doubt remember the chant, "18 shots!." I think it just depends on the crowd and the particular night. I'd sum it up like this, we can have fun and party with the best of them, and while I wouldn't call the Riu a party resort there are plenty of opportunities to have fun and let lose.

Although we didn't find the time (and sort of regret it) we didn't take advantage of the water sports (paddle boats, catamarans, and kayaks), however it looked like folks had not trouble finding equipment. The watercraft all looked to be in good shape.

We did a few excursions. Swimming with the dolphins was expensive but worth it. We took the cruise to Rick's Cafe and my favorite was the "One Love Bar Crawl." This last excursion is highly recommended. You actually head out into Negril with a guide and stop at 7 bars, or in our case 8 (after chanting "one more bar" enough, our host took us to an 8th establishment). Getting out into the Negril community actually ended up being my favorite part of the trip.

Overall, we had a wonderful experience at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril. The staff was outstanding, the property ie beautiful, the beach and pool were fantastic, the food was very good, the drinks were plentiful, and all for a reasonable price for what you get. I would do it again in a heart beat.

I can't end this review without a plug for the Country of Jamaica. Do something like the One Love bar crawl and get out into the actual heart of Jamaica. There's a country outside of the 18 foot wall the surrounds the resort and getting out into Negril and meeting the locals, from our guide, to the Justice of the Peace, to the folks at No Limits, we had a wonderful time off-resort. I would do the Riu Palace again and will definitely do Jamaica again. It really was a fantastic experience, and while there might have been a glitch or two, we also have memories of our time there that will last a lifetime. I'd like to go back right now and to me, that's money well spent.

Room Tip: We had a garden view. These rooms are pretty far from the main buildings and pool. Try to get an o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Warren P
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

Where do i start...first off the bus trip is a little long...but as soon as you get to resort you forget about it all. No line up at check in which was awesome got upgraded to Oceanfront room instead of oceanview, The rooms was nice, roomy and clean. The bartenders and servers at restaurant was all awesome...they restock you mini bar everyday. Anything you ask for they try their best to do it for you...thanks to Karen, Jodeen and Waton at the bar they were awesome makes you drinks until you find the one you like. Oreko at the buffet was a good server remembers what you like to drink...the beach was awesome pure sandy beach. I dont have anything to complain about at this resort everything was great. Go and dont worry and have fun and enjoy the sun.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple