“Best location worst service”

Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #19 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed there for 2 nights over the long weekend in Oct 19-21, 2013. usually I am a very satisfied person as I have visited most resorts in Jamaica and a family traveler with plenty places and miles under the belt. In Jamaica also have been to 4 different RIUs (Mobay, Ochio -Negril club). The rooms were given least prepared, TV was not functional, bathroom was leaking, no towels, refrigerator was empty and we were two family travelling with kids. On top of that as we were to leave by car and we requested Manager to give us 1 hr extended checkout, it is an all-inclusive property and we arrived at 6:40 pm which which further reception took 1 hr for check-in was terrible. After we checked out hotel staff refused to allow us to have lunch at the property despite the fact that Negril is furthest corner of Jamaica and there is no possible place to have lunch with kids except KFC etc, which inside city. We had to leave the property without food with allot of disappointment after spending almost 1000+ USD with the property fro a weekend. When we asked the Manager on duty to give us information for complain it gave us generic email and hide his name batch and didn't gave his full name (21-Oct-13). I leave up to readers to decide the service level and "One Love" Jamaica for the customers by the staff.

Room Tip: Prefer Sea facing or Partial view and avoid Rear side as it is near to road and a bit noisy
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pariluna
Write a ReviewReviews (5,529)

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Traveled here Nov 2 to Nov Nov 11. My family of 4, me, wife, 11 and 7 year olds. The beach was cleaned daily, the ocean was crystal clear and warm. Red strip restocked daily in the room, nice swim up bar. The foot was great at every place we ate. Service was excellent, we tipped 5 bucks and each meal and the severs got to know who u were because of this. One kind server even brought in aloe from his plant at home for my daughter who had sun burn on her face. He said he would and the next day there it was. I also tipped 1 buck every drink, maybe 200 bucks to n tips over 10 days, not bad, they appreciate it.

Typically we travel to Aruba. Only thing I did not like was the beach walkers trying to sell you stuff, cigarettes, cigars, etc. That's not the hotels fault but something to think about if going to Jamaica.

Would I go back YES. It was cheaper than Aruba, better flight, but the bus ride seems long, to and from airport. This will be the only place I stay, why mess with a good thing,

Michael Lipchock

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank mjl60621
Reviewed November 16, 2013

our recent vacation to Riu palace in Negril is one we will NEVER forget. Beautiful resort, amazing staff, outstanding food. This is one resort I would definitely go to again. If you go to Riu Palace, ask for Demar. He was one of the staff that gave us not only amazing service, but made us feel like family there. Thank you Riu Palace for giving us a vacation wwe will never forget.

Room Tip: our room was at 5201 and it had an amazing view of the beach and very quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank tyyra2013
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My friend and I originally went to Negril to the Grand Lido, but after one scary night, we transferred to this property after speaking to the manager first thing in the morning, who not only assured us he had space - actually upgraded the room to oceanview at no extra charge.

Check in was a breeze and the room was large and spacious and sparkling!

The restaurants, food, atmosphere, staff were all wonderful - especially the Scuba Caribe staff for water sports, and the jerk chicken on the beach was excellent.

We went during a very busy music festival, but never felt that we did not get excellent service. The main pool did however get pretty warm as it filled up - no need to heat a pool in the summer if you ask me, but the ocean and beach were excellent as well. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: Third floor, ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Just returned from a 6 day stay. My fiancé and I did not want to leave. For starters, we arrived late afternoon so check in was a breeze i also was able to receive a complimentary room upgrade(niiiiiiiice) we stayed in building #6. This worked for us because we truly enjoyed the quiet.i could go on and on about every little detail but overall our room was ok. I made use of their 24 hour room service - which was delivered to my room in less than 30 minutes after phoning in. We did not take advantage of their speciality Restaurants because we found the main one, which is buffet, to be pretty good. Vast food selection and tasty. We were content with most selections. Again, service in the dining area was great. Staff are very accommodating. Drinks were plentiful, but watered down but continuos. I believe we only went to one of several bars on the property because all servers were happy to bring your drinks to you. The entertainment was enjoyable. I was a little disappointed because I did not get a chance to sample the jerk chicken on the beach:-(
Overall we are planning on returning in February 2014 and it's a no brainier where we are to stay. I believe this establishment offers the most for your money. I'm looking forward to my return.

Room Tip: Selecting a room all depends on what you're looking for....bldg#6 -if you want peace and quiet...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Love2travel4reel
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I honeymooned at the Riu Palace October 28-November 3, 2013. Overall we felt like it was a good value. The food was good...nothing spectacular but good enough to eat all week. There was quite a bit variety and lots of fresh fruit and veggies. The service was excellent-everyone was so helpful and would go out of their way to make sure you were taken care of. Our room was clean and spacious. The swim up bar was lots of fun and the evening entertainment was better than expected. The beach is very clean and the waves are mostly calm. Beware-the drive from the airport is a little over an hour. I highly recommend Rocky's transportation service for a ride to/from the Montego Bay airport.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Very good hotel. Excellent beach with very warm water. Room was very nice, lots of tile and very clean. Bed turn down service every night. Good food, drinks, entertainment and service. Had supper with the sales manager Franklin in the Krystal restaurant, very good meal.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business