Stayed at the Riu Tropical Bay from 12-26th September. Booked through Thomson's who organised a Taxi Transfer as part of the the package, came out of Arrivals found Thomson rep & was taken to Taxi Point & loaded in small van (me, wife & other guset bound for Same hotel). Transfer took just over an hour. Warmly greeted by reception Staff who got us checked in quickly & efficiently with a nice cool drink & arranged porters to take suitcases to room. The Room (Junior Suite) was spacious with twin queen size beds (inc small couch + couple of chairs) between the room & bathroom was wardrobe area which also housed the fridge, Optics & Coffeemaker. The bathroom had twin sinks & a shower over a small bath. There was slight damp smell on entering the room, but after aircon had been on a while it disappeared. Housekeeping does a great job of keeping the room spick & span. The resort is quite compact as it only has about 400 hundred rooms, it is in typical Riu layout in that from reception you come down the main stairs into a courtyard enclosed by the speciality restaurants, theatre & the main buffet . Down at far end are the Twin pools, 1 with Wet bar & beyond this onto the beach. Is this a Palace standard hotel like the Riu Mexico Palace at Playacar? the answer is not quite, is it a step up from the typical Riu Club ? Definitely.
Buffet was spacious, good selection of foods, all staff very friendly.
Krystal Fusion restaurant clean modern & serving probably the most discordant Tapas I have ever tasted (peanut crisp, Tuna with smoked foam, Gazpacho soup made with Betroot. The steak was overcooked & slighty tough. Staff were slow & not big on smiles.
The Japanese restaurant was clean, modern & the food was ok (served standard sushi selection to each table, 6 or so choices of main course.
The Italian didn't quite pull off homely, but good selection, well cooked. Staff were friendly & smiling except one.
The steakhouse was decent, food ok. Most of the staff friendly, but they need to sort out the muddle between kitchen & waiters. (food wasn't very hot, Chilled white wine / Cava was warm.
If you wanted to go to Speciality restaurant you had to go to the desk about 8AM in the morning & you could only book up to 1 day in advance.
The pools were kind of small but we managed to find a couple of beds everyday as we were down about 9am, did go on the beach a couple of times & suffered a lot bites around my lower legs / ankles as result.
Was a bit surprised to find that the Club hotel adjacent was about a mile away, during day you could walk along the beach with right insect repellant, but at night you were advised to take a taxi by the staff.
The enetrtainment & waiting staff worked hard & were friendly , they never passed by without a Hi / fist bump or "respect mon".
Entertainment team work hard from early in the morning till the show finishes at night.
So to sum up.
Good quality 4 star hotel, very clean, decent restaurants, small pools & probably the friendliest staff I have met anywhere in the world. you arrive a customer & within days you feel part of the family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica