“Great resort,great food,excellent service!”

Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #20 of 80 Hotels in Negril
New York City, New York
“Great resort,great food,excellent service!”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Excellent service-front desk,bar,restaurants,managers-"hats off". Great stay!Very good food!
Just keep in mind August,Sept.,Oct. are raining months in Jamaica,so every day it will rain from 12:30 until 3-4pm.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms will give you the best view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank oana l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,299)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I recently got back from the Riu Palace Tropical in Negril. I have been a travel agent for many years now and have visited the resort through work etc but had never stayed there for more than 24 hours.
check in: I checked in on my own, not with other passenger filled bus, but I did visit the lobby on 2 occasions to notice the check in with a full bus and it seemed to have gone very smoothly and accommodating to their guests as much as they could. Andrew at front desk (and everyone else) were always pleasant with smiles on their faces.
location: I loved the location, its on a great stretch of beach, probably one of the best beach in the Caribbean that ive been to, so if you love your morning walks, this is the place to be, the water is very calm, clean (as the beach was cleaned each morning) and you can walk out forever and it is still shallow. although I went on a lower season, there were many beach chairs available.
I know many people are worried about being bothered by the locals, I did not find this a problem as if they were passing, they would not stop or bother you if you were doing something, you would hear their voices offering tours etc.
food: well what can I say, (diet before you go) because the food, all kinds of variety (they always had a Jamaican section at the buffet so if you wanted Jamaican food everyday you would always get a variety) because I travelled with 2 other people, we all wanted something different for dinner and the buffet gave us that. A huge variety of cooking stations, amazing salads, fruits and the dessert, the presentation was amazing and the taste to die for. what I liked about the desserts were they were cut up into small pieces so you can have a variety of tastes and no waste! the executive chef Edgar Galan was always visible and made sure everything was running smoothly
good enough variety for lunch if you have a big appetite for lunch, if you are going to eat the jerk chicken..... THE HUT IS A MUST!!!!
grounds: were always well kept, there were always gardeners keeping up with grass, flowers and trees
room: the décor can be updated but more importantly, the room was always clean
dinning staff: were always pleasant with smiles on their faces and everyone was there to assist, even if your specific wait staff was busy at that moment.
This is by far the Best riu that I have stayed at!!!!!

Gina - Toronto, Canada

Room Tip: building 3 is closest to the beach, a la carte and jerk hut, building 4 is on the other side closest...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank LV2TRVL73
Tupelo
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Just got back from a week long vacation at the RTBP and had a wonderful stay. The staff was VERY friendly and helpful. I thought the food was awesome with so many choices! The beach was clean and the water was beautiful. I only have 2 complaints and only one of them was something the hotel could solve very easily. The Twin size beds were moved together to make a King size bed. Other than that, the room had tasteful décor and well maintained . The other complaint is the toilets in the Lobby and the other one outside did not have enough water pressure. In saying that, the above complaints would not keep me from staying at the RTBP again.

Room Tip: Ocean front is the way to go!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank llawson2013
Hampstead, Maryland
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I booked an oceanfront room for a few hundred dollars extra. After we checked in and paid the full amount we were told there were no oceanfront rooms available. I asked about the price difference and was told I could write to get a refund. We were then taken to a dirty room at the front of the property facing the highway. When I went back to the front desk they seemed extremely bothered by me. I have stayed in Riu brand hotels all over and NEVER have been treated so disrespectfully. I felt ripped off. So they moved me to an oceanfront room later in the day that was 3 buildings back and if you stretched your neck you might be able to see the ocean. Jamaica is a lovely place with lovely people just don't stay here. Not on par at all with other Riu properties.

• Stayed February 2013
7 Thank kristi253
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend age 22 & 23 stayed here in July this was are first time in Jamaica. When going to the hotel you get took there by a taxi witch the driver was very friendly telling us all about Jamaica so the taxi ride was no problem with it being a hour and a half away. When arriving at the hotel we was greeted with a rum punch when we got to are room we could not sit on the balcony as it was just all bushes we could see and a few flys we asked to be move rooms but could only move in 2 days we was moved to a room with a better view this was no problem at all for the reception staff. Rooms always very clean and mini bar restocked. Loved just relaxing around the pool was a waitress always bringing us drinks for for her name but she was lovely and always comes to see if you want a drink when she sees yours is empty a few dollers do go far and they are very thankful. The beach is just amazing clear water and clean yes people do hassle you on there but a simple no thank you and they move on. We did get asked do we want drugs all the time with us being young but this did not bother us yet again a no thanks and they leave you alone the food wasn't to bad but I am a very fussy eater we loved the steak house and the Krystal restaurant did not try the others. The entainment wasn't to bad could become a little boring at night but loved the day time games around the pool, they tried so hard and very friendly loved hot dog chicken and his girlfriend. We did go to the night club a few times witch wasnt to bad make sure you dont get ripped off by the taxi going to there tho it was 10 dollors each way no matter how many of you there is. We done swimming with dolphins at the dolphin cove negrill was just amazing and only around £75 each for the main swim, dunns river falls is a must to do make sure to take a underwater camrea, ricks cafe was are fav we just got a taxi there did not have any food there but it looks really good, was nice watching the sun set having a few drinks. We did get bit a few times but buy spray from the hotel shop worked wonders as jungle formular just doesn't work. Over all we loved this hotel and did not have any negative comments about it if you have booked here you will be in for a good holiday! I would love to be there again right now :) hope this review has helped anyone traveling here. Jamaicans are just amazing people anyfin is no problem mon!!

• Stayed July 2013
8 Thank amysmith
London
Reviewed September 14, 2013

just spent 2 weeks at the RTBP. Last trip was 18 months ago when there had been a decline in the food quality but it is now under 'new management' and there has been definite improvements. we are fussy eaters and the food at breakfast, lunch, dinner in the buffet was always good. plenty of choice and it was death by chocolate at the dessert buffets so be warned...they were delicious.
It is the staff that make this hotel what it is, from the moment you check in with the front desk staff who were more than helpful to the bar, wait staff. top marks for service. They are never looking tips but very much appreciate the odd dollar or two as their wages are basic so the tips come in handy for paying for school books and kids schooling etc.

The rooms- yes the decor is looking a little faded as this hotel was 'converted' to a 'Palace' 5 yrs back so was never a purpose built place 'glossy' Riu like the rest. The hotel probably needs updating soon but it is smaller and very friendly. The beach setting makes up for that though. we are well travelled both in Jamaica and worldwide and this beach is hard to beat. ther are vendors trying to make a living but they are fun and polite. A polite no thank you and they never bother you but they will greet you everyday. Security on the beach is good, very safe.

The rooms are spotless with loads of towels and there is no shortage of beach towels.

my only small moan about the beach is that although we come to Jamaica for the sun there needs to be a little more shade as many of the coconut trees have been cut down so hopefully they will replant. The grounds are pristine but would be good to see more flowers such as hibiscus and bougainvillaea instead of 'pruning' with machetes to within an inch of their lives!!!

Management need to consider also how to get more drinks on the beach for the guests. some days we were never offered. It is no big deal walking to the bar but it would be helpful to have a small refreshment bar/cart on either end of the beach for soft drinks/water even for the guests to help themselves.
I never use the pools as the sea is just too good but they ARE always spotlessly clean every morning and the only thing that makes them dirty is the guests who constantly sit in them downing large flasks of alcohol and spill drinks (and more!!) into the pool.

big thanks to all...Elaine and crew at front desk, Tony in the bar, Nasreen in dining room, entertainment team are such fun, Michelle who cleans block 6 and EVERYONE else I have missed out.

Ps DO go on trips...Jamaica is quite safe...it is a lovely country so get out and enjoy it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank murrayhall
Ohio
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My family and I vacationed at Riu Palace Tropical Bay the beginning of July. Jamaica is a beautiful country and the people are friendly. It is a long drive (about two hours) to the resort, and you will see a lot of poor areas along your travels. We booked through our travel agent and transfers to the resort were included in our package. It was a good vacation for the whole family, and we had a great time. The beach was beautiful, and the water was crystal clear…simply breathtaking. There are plenty of shaded areas on the beach. The water was so calm which made it nice for us to enjoy. The beach is also a nice if you want to go jogging. The beach is public so there will be some locals walking up and down the beach looking to sell different items (jewelry, shells, sarongs, cigarettes, cigars, rides on jet skis, etc.). They did not bother us; if they approach you all you have to do is say no thank you if you are not interested and they leave you alone.

The accommodations were good; we stayed in two adjoining beachfront deluxe suites. However, it didn’t start off that way. On the first night we were not given adjoining rooms like we requested. One room was on the second floor and the other was on the first. My husband explained to the front desk staff that we were supposed to have adjoining rooms, and he was told to come back tomorrow for adjoining rooms. I asked why not tonight since that is what we booked. Apparently they schedule their rooms the night before arrival, so sometimes it may not work out. My husband went to the front desk the next day and the other room was not available yet, so my husband had to go back again. It all worked out in the end, but my husband spent about a half day waiting on them and moving everything. Both rooms were very clean, and we had a great view of the ocean. The cleaning staff did an excellent job of cleaning both of our rooms, and our refrigerator was restocked everyday with water and pop. My kids requested certain soda and they made sure they had what they wanted. The king bed is actually two full beds pushed together; however, you can have them come into the room and strap them together if you want. There is also a dispenser above the min-refrigerator in the room which includes rum, vodka, brandy, and scotch. Room service is available, and it didn’t take long at all.

The food was very good at the buffet, and there was a good variety. The desserts were amazing…definitely something for the chocolate and non-chocolate lover. We did dine at two of the restaurants and ate at the buffet the other nights. It was easier to eat at the buffet with the kids since everyone always found something they liked. Our favorite restaurant was the Krystal Fusion; the food was delicious and the atmosphere was great. Men must wear long pants for some of the specialty restaurants, so make sure they are packed. Make sure to eat lunch from the Jerk Hut on the beach; the jerk chicken is amazing…straight from the grill. The Riu does have nightly entertainment; most of the shows were pretty good, and there is a very small game room with slot machines. My husband and I tipped the staff each day; these people work hard and a couple of dollars here and there is nice when someone is providing you with a service. Wi-Fi is available in the lobby, and you can also ask for a code so you can have Wi-Fi throughout the resort for free. Make sure to bring bug spray since the mosquitos can be bad. Overall, we enjoyed the Riu and would go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank clhOhio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Legends Beach Hotel
#26 of 80 in Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!