“No Worries Mon! -Riu Palace Tropical Bay”

Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #20 of 80 Hotels in Negril
San Antonio, Texas
“No Worries Mon! -Riu Palace Tropical Bay”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We just returned from a 5 day stay at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay in Negril, Jamaica. The staff and resort grounds are amazing! Overall we had a great time and loved the resort and the location and would definitally return.

Room: We stayed in an ocean front room (rm. 1212), which is located at the end of the resort, near the water sports area. The room was clean, but had a slight musty smell to it that lingered during our stay. The walls are very thin - you can hear pretty much everything (yep, everything) that goes on in the next room. This was not a huge issue as our neighbors were pretty quiet most of the time. It had a safe, iron/ironing board, blow dryer, two double beds pushed together to make a king and a large balcony. Shampoo, conditioner and soap was provided daily and the fridge was re-stocked daily with soda, water and of course, Red Stripe! Housekeeping came twice a day to provide fresh towels, toiletries and provided turn down service.

Beach: The Riu Palace Tropical Bay has the best location along the beach. There are plenty of chairs and shade, never had any problems locating a place to sit. The water is crystal clear - absolutely beautiful! Make sure you go out into the water later in the evening around sunset and look for starfish - you will not find them during they day, but there are a lot of them in the evening. There is not a coral reef located close by, so you will not see any tropical fish. If you want to see tropical fish, you will need to take a snorkeling tour. You can walk down the beach to the sister Riu resort and use their facilities. The closest bar to the beach is the pool bar - they do have beach service, but it was limited and slow. We found it much faster just to walk up to the pool bar and get a drink. This could be improved! There are vendors that patrol the beach all day and into the evening. A simple thank you and they will move on. Take the time to visit with them - they will add a lot to your Jamaica experience.

Pool: As other people have noted - the pools are small. But it did not matter to us, we spent all of our time at the beach. The pool with the bar can get a little loud and rowdy during the day - and you will notice that a lot of people sit there for hours without leaving the pool...get my drift?? If you want to use the pool, I would suggest you use the pool without the bar and walk over and get a drink when you want one. In the evening after the pools have closed, you will see that the pool with the bar is significantly more cloudy than the other one ;).

Food: We ate at the buffet for all meals. It was good and there was always a wide variety of food to choose from. The service as the buffet was excellent - shout out to Chad, he was great! There is a Jerk Chicken hut on the beach that is wonderful! Ate there everyday at lunch! There is top shelf alcohol available - you will just have to ask for it when you order your drinks. They will make the drinks as strong as you want them.

Entertainment: The evening entertainment was a lot of fun! The staff works very hard to make it great for everybody.

Hints: (1) Take a large, insulated cup for drinks (2) Take inflatable floats with you for the ocean (3) Don't forget the bug spray for the evenings

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank beachfun09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,299)
  • Polish first
Big Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed in ocean front room 6207. I would like to say thank you to the RIU staff they are tremendous. Always helpful and willing to do anything for you.
The beach and water are perfect, water so clear and blue. No rocks or seaweed. The vendors selling anything from Cigerettes-cigars-cigars to weed are respectful. Just say no thank you and they leave you alone. No problem getting chairs or shade. Wear bug spray, I got bit so bad by what I think are Sand Fleas, I have marks all over my legs and my foot was swelling up. You might not see the sand fleas or feel them but they are there.
The buffet was good as well as the Main restaurants, my favorite was the Italian. Must try the Jerk Chicken hut on the beach, I believe they serve from noon to whenever they run out. Bars were good but I'm more of a beer drinker so did not try all sorts of drinks. I do know they mix em pretty strong. Ask for a Miami Vice, they are pretty good.
Rooms were nice, not extravagant but who spends much time in the room while in Jamaica, I think I turned on the tv once for like 10 minutes. Mini bar restocked daily with soda, water, and red stripe. I wish you could tell them you want all diet coke instead of coke, sprite, and diet. We were upgraded to an ocean front room and the view is nice but was partially blocked from palm trees that are used for shade on the beach.
The grounds were kept nice and neat. The whole resort is stretched out a bit. The pools were okay, only went in once. They were usually busy and had obnoxious people in them. The bathrooms are nice and clean but far from the beach and not very convenient. They need to add some closer. The Wi-Fi here is very good, I could sit on the beach and use it with no problems. In my room I had spotty coverage only a couple times.
Entertainment was good. They would do activities by the pool during the day and have some sort of show in the theatre at 9:30 pm. They are very nice people and interact with all the resorts guests. They seem to be really good with kids. And the kids love them.
I would go back again but would like to stay for longer. Great employees and great place.

Try the beef patties in the bloody bay grill during the afternoons.
I wish I could remember names so I could give shoutouts for such great service.
Tip, it they deserve it

Room Tip: Try the ocean front rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MNRinkRat
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I travel a lot, but this is the first place that I wanted to return right away. I went for 5 nights May 10th - May 14th and I loved everything about it. The staff is amazing, so friendly and forthcoming. I actually just booked my trip in August to return for my birthday. I honestly can't complain about a thing. And believe me I am picky!!!!
I had forgotten to look at the pictures that they took throughout the stay and they were nice enough to look for them and then send them to me!!!
Just so friendly!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jeannine B
Deptford, NJ
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have traveled to the Caribbean many times and this was by far the best vacation I have ever been on. I stayed at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay for 8 days 7 nights. Check in was a breeze. They took our bags straight to our room.

The mini fridge is stocked daily. I never had an issue with room service or turn down service. They were both there daily. The room was comfortable.

The beach was breath taking. Yes, there are many, many vendors but as other reviewers have said, a simple "no thanks" will get them away from you. The water is crystal clear and refreshing. I would recommend going on a kayak or paddle boat one day. This is free.

I was surprised at the small size of the pools. I thought they may be bigger based on the amount of people that use it but they were still very nice and refreshing.

The food is spectacular. If someone can't find something they like to eat at this resort then they may be just impossible to please, as many people are. There was always a wide variety and you never had to worry about being hungry.

The entertainment team truly made the vacation as wonderful as it was. They did a great job at making every guest feel as though they were special. They worked very hard to put on such entertaining shows each night. They were always involved with the crowd which made everyone have a great time.

I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank TVolpe03
Ontario
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!!! Not one thing to complain about at this resort. The beach is amazing, grounds are very well kept up. All staff are so friendly and happy, food at buffets and restaurants were fantastic. Do not hesitate in picking this resort. Best I've been to. Also, we hired our buddy Paul again to take us out for the day. He is great, friendly and funny. If anyone is interested in his contact info let me know and I will pass it along to you. He has a nice air conditioned van.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4213 Ocean Front. It was beautiful
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TheFoos
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I went there last year (2012) for our first vacation and we couldnt have been happier. It was such an awesome hotel, beautiful, clean and the staff was awesome. The nicest people ever. We made friends with one of the male bartenders and we were talking about how we wanted to leave the resort and go get some real jamaican food and see the country he called his dad who is a taxi driver and his dad picked us up the next day and took us all around town for an amazing price. My boyfriend and I wanted to go away again this year and we both said lets go back to the Riu Palace, we go back next month ! We couldnt be more excited. I def recommend this hotel !!!!!!!!!!!! was very very happy !!!!!

Room Tip: I would def suggest to get the suite with an ocean view def worth the extra money
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank lauren b
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Great stay not one thing to complain about!
Great beach much better than Riu Negril. Very clean, quick service, proactive and keen to please, rooms are good we have been upgraded to an ocean front very nice
Food was so good and Krystal is a good one to try
Entertainment team are very talented
We didn't try the pools by any means as the beach was AWESOME!
Highly recommended even I liked as much as the Couples Swept Away resort.

• Stayed May 2013
7 Thank LumaBadran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Legends Beach Hotel
#26 of 80 in Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!