We just returned from a 5 day stay at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay in Negril, Jamaica. The staff and resort grounds are amazing! Overall we had a great time and loved the resort and the location and would definitally return.
Room: We stayed in an ocean front room (rm. 1212), which is located at the end of the resort, near the water sports area. The room was clean, but had a slight musty smell to it that lingered during our stay. The walls are very thin - you can hear pretty much everything (yep, everything) that goes on in the next room. This was not a huge issue as our neighbors were pretty quiet most of the time. It had a safe, iron/ironing board, blow dryer, two double beds pushed together to make a king and a large balcony. Shampoo, conditioner and soap was provided daily and the fridge was re-stocked daily with soda, water and of course, Red Stripe! Housekeeping came twice a day to provide fresh towels, toiletries and provided turn down service.
Beach: The Riu Palace Tropical Bay has the best location along the beach. There are plenty of chairs and shade, never had any problems locating a place to sit. The water is crystal clear - absolutely beautiful! Make sure you go out into the water later in the evening around sunset and look for starfish - you will not find them during they day, but there are a lot of them in the evening. There is not a coral reef located close by, so you will not see any tropical fish. If you want to see tropical fish, you will need to take a snorkeling tour. You can walk down the beach to the sister Riu resort and use their facilities. The closest bar to the beach is the pool bar - they do have beach service, but it was limited and slow. We found it much faster just to walk up to the pool bar and get a drink. This could be improved! There are vendors that patrol the beach all day and into the evening. A simple thank you and they will move on. Take the time to visit with them - they will add a lot to your Jamaica experience.
Pool: As other people have noted - the pools are small. But it did not matter to us, we spent all of our time at the beach. The pool with the bar can get a little loud and rowdy during the day - and you will notice that a lot of people sit there for hours without leaving the pool...get my drift?? If you want to use the pool, I would suggest you use the pool without the bar and walk over and get a drink when you want one. In the evening after the pools have closed, you will see that the pool with the bar is significantly more cloudy than the other one ;).
Food: We ate at the buffet for all meals. It was good and there was always a wide variety of food to choose from. The service as the buffet was excellent - shout out to Chad, he was great! There is a Jerk Chicken hut on the beach that is wonderful! Ate there everyday at lunch! There is top shelf alcohol available - you will just have to ask for it when you order your drinks. They will make the drinks as strong as you want them.
Entertainment: The evening entertainment was a lot of fun! The staff works very hard to make it great for everybody.
Hints: (1) Take a large, insulated cup for drinks (2) Take inflatable floats with you for the ocean (3) Don't forget the bug spray for the evenings
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica