This is my 3rd trip to Jamaica, but my first trip to Negril. We were pleasantly surprised with this resort. I was a little worried because of all the poor reviews I read before I went. I took 21 people for Christmas so I had 8 rooms I could check out. There wasn't a single bug in any of our rooms. The only problems were in my 3rd floor suite, no water from 5-8pm, one rooms air didn't work until the 3rd day, and the sand fleas at and after sunset on the beach. Be sure to take some OFF ($10 in gift shop) or plan on staying off the beach after dark.
The resort is adjacent to Couples and one resort North of the Grand Lido. The RIU had the nicest, cleanest beach because of the location.
The other resorts had larger waves and the little sea weed there was washed up on their beaches.
The food selection and quality was great, the pool was cool and cloudy, the rooms were comfortable, the beach was beautiful, the ocean was warm and clear, and the staff was friendly. My travel agent screwed up and didn't book a handicapped accessible room for the Grandparents, but it was quickly corrected by the front desk and everything was great.
People writing reviews complained about the entertainment, but it was pretty good. It isn't Las Vegas, but then again if you want Vegas quality entertainment, go to Vegas!
The resort was only 1/2 full for the first 4 days of our trip and it was wonderful. The last day it was 100% full and there was a noticeable difference at the breakfast buffet, but I would still return to the RIU even if it is 100% full.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Renovated in summer 2008 * Located in Negril, on Jamaica's west coast * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 1-storey main building and 2-storey buildings * Victorian-style architecture * Surrounded by 47,000 m2 / 56,500 sq. yards of lush gardens * 7.5 km / 4.7 miles from Negril West End * 6 km / 3.8 miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Despegar.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Hotel Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Jamaica
- Riu Palace Tropical Bay Negril
- Riu Tropical Bay Negril Jamaica
- Negril Riu Tropical Bay Hotel
- Riu Jamaica
- Riu Tropical Jamaica