“Some good, plenty poor”

Ranked #20 of 80 Hotels in Negril
north east wisconsin
“Some good, plenty poor”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

First the good. Beautiful beach, with plenty of lounge chairs. Pretty lobby and main bar. Some very nice staff, especially in the main Buffet. Nice selection of food in the main buffet. Small but very nice spa, good staff there.
Now the bad. Two small pools. No where to grab a late afternoon snack or cup of coffee - almost got my head bit off by a waitress in the Bloody Bay buffet for DARING to ask, politely i might add, whether there were any nacho chips left.
Rooms: very musty. Clocks dont work, and the desk says they are only for radio, not for telling time!? A third of the 100 people in our group did not get ocean front rooms as promised. A one foot step up into tub, and you have to be fully in it to reach the faucet, so as a result get blasted with cold water trying to run a warm shower. Maid service leaves only two towels, one packet of coffee, in spite of a nice tip and requests formore of each.
Food: Buffet good. The "nice" restaurants, range from mediocre to wretched.
Will i return or recommend? Not likely .....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank marylvk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,299)
  • Polish first
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Riu was actually a last minute replacement for us and we would return in a heartbeat. The grounds were beautiful and the service was top notch. The food was wonderful and actually maybe a little too high class for us average joes. We didn't get the opportunity to try the specialty restaurants but heard great things from the many friends we made during our stay.

As for drawbacks, our room was in the 2000 block and had a slightly musty smell when the air was going. I heard from other people in our block that they had the same smell. The other thing that surprised me was that even though this is an all inclusive resort, tips are encouraged. The service is excellent so we basically tipped the people on the last day we were there. We pretty much had the same people every day so we got to know them... same waitress at dinner every night etc.

The entertainment staff is top notch and they have activities during the day and a nightly show which I initially thought was done by professional dancers. They make sure everyone feels welcome at the resort.

We spent a week at beaches prior to the riu which was spectacular and I would put riu right up there. The people really make this resort and I would stay there again!

We stayed here as a couple. Not a lot of kids. Not sure how kid friendly you would think this place is. For kids I would probably recommend beaches instead.

4 Thank Doc K
Baughurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a great here, yes we had a small problem with the smell from air-conditioning but by leaving all doors and windows open on the balcony it dissipated. That has got the downside out of the way. The staff were great, all were polite and helpful, but being Jamaica sometimes a little slow, but we were on holiday and this caused 'No Problem'. The big plus point was the food, and what planet some of the reviewers were on that criticised this I do not know. The main restaurant, The Negril had the most widespread buffet one could ask for and if a dish ran out it was re-filled within minutes. Breakfast fruit consisted of at least 12 different varieties all fresh and beautifully presented. Endless cold meats, jams, cakes, pastries and bread. As far as hot dishes were concerned, how many different types of eggs do you want? They had them all, then bacon sausage, beans, hash browns, corn-beef hash. It was endless. Evening meals were equally splendid. The themed restaurants were good, we preferred the Gourmet and Japanese. Someone made a comment about booking the restaurants, how? One just went to see the lady, asked politely if they had a vacancy (Some visitors from North America did not know the word 'Please') and we were in.
The beach was kept very clean we went to one end where it was not overcrowded and sat in great comfort. Getting the odd cocktail from the beach bar or ordering one from the staff who took orders on the beach. There were a number of sellers going along the beach but we were not troubled by them, if we passed one on way to the sea, then we would say no-thank you, shake hands with a smile and carry on.
We will go back there again if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Anthony A
Athol, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband &I enjoyed our week long vacation for our 10yr. Wedding anniversary here with another couple. Reception was great,very nice,happy,helpful people! Our room was6302 with a side ocean view also over looking wedding gazebo. It was clean and roomy. All things worked fine...safe,door key and a/c. Minibar always replenished room maid Marcia was great! Entertainment staff was the best! We loved getting involved with all the friendly competitions & winning 3 bottles of rum while there! Our favorites were Maurice,Neil, and O'Shane! ( hello from rick,justine,sheila &timmy) we had alot of fun playing around/talking with these guys! The beach is the BEST! We had no problems with all the beach vendors ,in fact it added to the charm! Was so cool being serenaded by the local muscians,they were great! And yes for all you peeps who like to partake in "smokein'" it is all around & widely accepted.pool bar was great! Great drinks great bartenders! I think the name of my favorite bartenders were sharon, kinneal, shermin and geeze j wish i could remember the other girls name! She had a headfull of braids and an unusual name! Night time entertainment was fun...they try hard! Not much to do late night on resort...24 hour bar! All ala carte restaurants we tried were great! Steak house,italian&japanese service was great and perfectly timed.Buffet awesome food and service. Garfield made great omelettes! Mimosa with breakfast every day was awesome! We brought our own large insulated cups for drinks which worked great cuz the glasses they used were really small. We brought our own float too! I think it was the envy of other guests & locals alike...it fit the two of us & had a cooler in the center! So worth the weight & space in the luggage! Our favorite beach vendor was Andre the cigarette guy! He says in such a funny way, cigarettes cig-are cig-are its gonna be a hot hot hot un hot un hot un!!! God we loved chanting this along with him daily! You need to buy your butts from him because 8$ for 1 pack or 15$ for 2 packs because one day i missed him and hotel butts cost 11$ a pack! We took a cab with Ashton Pitt(awesome guy/driver,number can be found on this website in negril forum) to ricks cafe...it was fun to watch people jump especially the locals that work there! Crazy scary! I have a couple dislikes...wristbands,reservations for ala carts, and the fact that its not an accepted practice to give bottles of champagne upon request..they want to charge for it! How ever this can be overcome with a little effort! I thought i might dislike the towel card thing but as it turned out it was no big deal! Also dont let the fact that this is a family resort deter you( if looking for adults only,as we usually do) because if there were 6 or 7 ...hardly seen,and never heard! We are actually considering returning to Negril next winter and will definately stay here..anytime we visit negril! Go and have a fun,relaxing,entertaining time!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank lovepalmtrees_10
ON
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our travel agent told us that the Riu Tropical Bay was newer and up to date compared to the Riu Club. We had to move rooms 4 times on arrival as they all had a stagnant moldy smell. Apparantly this resort isn't a newer resort its a 'renovated' resort..big difference. We finally opted for a room overlooking the pool the rooms in the 6 and 7 buildings were the most stagnant. I have allergies and asthsma and had to sleep with the patio door open the whole time, since the AC seemed to have a mildewy filter or make the problem worse. Do not stay here if basements give you respiratory problems. The food was horrible!!! It looked all fancy and delicious, but tasted stale and seemed to be flavoured with sugar and salt to cover up the lack of care put into it. It reminded me of the quality of food you'd get if Denny's were to have a day old all you can eat gourmet buffet. They would be wiser to serve less choices and focus on better quality. We went to the "Steak House" the food was mediocre. As far as the staff went.. the maids, wait staff, towel people, bathroom cleaners and bartenders were very hospitable and kind. The desk staff was okay..some were better than others. Taxi's were way cheaper on the road than from the hotel, it cost double the price to take the taxi's the hotel supplied (however always prenegotiate the price with the taxi before you reach you destination) The beach was heavenly, but we thought it very stingy of the Riu not to loan out floating air mattresses, they sell them in the gift shop. Who the heck wants to buy a beach bed and drag it back in their suitcase!? There are many smaller hotels along the same gorgeous beach that are probably half the price and way better.
I forgot to mention our phone had a short in it and rather than correct the problem by delivering us a replacement phone we had to wait till the next day to have a repair person "check" the phone for us, thus leaving us to receive messgaes at the front desk sink our friends at the next hotel couldn't reach us on our defunct phone. Did I mention the alarm clock was broken too? (We didn't even bother to complain) Another thing we thought to be tacky, was that you had to pay to use the internet in the business centre and it was a lot of run around to find out how it worked. Maybe other Riu's are great but I've had much better experiences at 3 stars than I've had at this supposed 5 star resort. What a waste of money!

1 Thank Kikat
Wichita, Kansas, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Let me start by saying that the food was good for an all-inclusive. The staff at the Riu goes out of its way to make you feel welcome. Everyone is friendly, helpful, and very courteous. The Riu is a luxurious resort with tile and marble everywhere. My biggest complaint is that the Air-Conditioning did not even meet minimum expectations. The dials say that the temp can go as low as '65 degrees F'. I was there for 10 days and my room smelled of mildew the entire time, in that the A/C could only get to 75 degrees F (at best), and that did not remove any humidity from the room. The humidity in the room was simply terrible. The towels were damp, clothing was damp, I took 2 cough drops with me and laid them out on the bedside table the first night. I woke up to see that the 2 cough drops had completely melted. They were in pools of liquid. The cough drops were so humid that they thought they were in my stomach and started to dissolve in the wax wrappers. Mosquitoes were plentiful and when the staff cleaned my room, the doors are left open, so the mosquitoes rush in. I feel terrible about writing this review, as the staff is so fun, helpful and incredible, but if you want to feel cool in you room after a day in the sun, DO NOT go to Riu Palace. If you want to come back to your room after a night of dancing and cool down, DO NOT go to Riu Palace. For those of you reading this, I have found that the Resorts will come and reply in an effort to counter my comments. They will say things like, we could have moved him to another room. Yes that particular A/C was broke, but he didn't complain loud enough for us to think that he was seriously uncomfortable. Folks, as I said, I am writing this negative review with lots of sadness, in that the staff and all of the other elements of Riu exceeded all of my expectations. To pay the kind of money that I did, only to have the A/C not work properly, is shameful on the part of Riu palace and their management team. One more thing..........the shower is marble, but they have a 14" step-over to get into the shower. For anyone whom is elderly, or has a bad back, climbing over this 14" step-over is a real challenge. You need to see if you can lift your legs over a 14" barrier, prior to booking. This resort seemed to have its share of retirees. I could see how a 14" shower step-over could have been very challenging for some, if not outright scary (due to the wet feet slippery factor on marble tile). If you are single and want to meet other singles, or talk at the bars with singles, or dance with singles, I would not recommend Riu palace. It is strictly couples and families. I went to read and get some sun, so being single was not an issue for me. I gave up the 'night-life' long ago.

Room Tip: Try to get into building 4, as it is closer to the main dining room and you don't have to walk a...