Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
  • Pool
$129
$55
  • Pool
Travellers Beach Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
$60
$58
Hedonism II(Negril)
$639
$160
Negril Tree House Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
$143
$125
$484
$469
Bookit.com
$94
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
White Sands Negril(Negril)(Great Value!)
$64
$62
TripAdvisor
5,663 results
All reviewsbloody bayspecialty restaurantsocean frontfusion restaurantpool barjerk hutjerk chickenentertainment staffpushed togetherrick's cafescuba caribemusty smellbeautiful beachlobsterreservation systema la carteslunch buffet
Reviewed November 23, 2012

literally the worst restaurant that i've ever been to. terrible service, terrible food. My family's main waiter tried to take my phone because i was texting((uM WHAT THERE'S FREE WIFI AT THE HOTEL)) and then he called me a failure for not finishing my first appetizer. What kind of service is that? Then the servers kept mixing up everyone's meals and then they gave my sister the wrong meal. For such a small variety of food you can get at the restaurant, the service is TERRIBLY SLOW. The food is literally no special at all. It all taste bland, it's not worth it. I wouldn't recommend going to this restaurant at all. I rather eat at the all-you-can-eat buffet every day for the rest of my life then go to Krystal's.

Room Tip: don't go to krystal's
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Julie H
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This resort has everything even the most discerning traveler could ask for. The service is superb - all the staff give the impression that they are there to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable.
The variety of restaurants and bars is very good.
The food presentation and selection is as good if not better than any restaurant you might find in major cities.
The beaches and swimming pools are clean and well maintained.
The only negative from our week was the wine selection. Both the red and white wines offered are not at all good - the rosé is drinkable. They do offer a good Argentinian wine in one of the specialty restaurants but it is not possible to get it elsewhere in the resort. That is a pity - why spoil all that fine cuisine by offering a crappy wine. We would have been quite willing to pay for a better wine but that appears not to be possible at this resort.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank RomarDelta
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I'm writing this review on the flight back home. Prior to visiting this resort I read a ton of reviews (some good some bad) but let me tell you this place was OUTSTANDING! I'm a fairly seasoned traveller and hands down this was the best spot I've ever been to. Great resort and EXCELLENT staff. The only complaint I can make is towards some of the other tourists. Quite a few were rude to me (mainly Europeans who didn't seem to like an Americans) and also treated the staff poorly. To the people that complain about slow service maybe it's due to you treating the staff like garbage?

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
19  Thank ThomasWeissJr
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I have always wanted to stay at a resort in Negril but wondered whether we would receive good value for our hard-earned money. Would we really have the time and energy to enjoy all the things that come with paying a premium price? If not, then it would seem like money not well spent. With the global recession, the prices have come down so we decided to celebrate our anniversary there. In addition, our favorite hotel in the main area of Negril changed their policy to only accepting stays of 3 nights or greater so we couldn't stay there. We then decided on the RIU and we were pretty impressed. The grounds are fairly extensive and beautiful. The staff are friendly and most easily remembered my name. The rooms, while not extraordinary by any means, were comfortable, large enough and clean. The rooms had cable TV with many of the main U.S. channels. There was a free minibar in the fridge with several Red Stripes, water and some soft drinks. There were also 3 bottles of hard alcohol (light and dark rums, I think).The rooms weren't extremely close to the water but my ocean-front room was only about 12 meters from the balcony to the waves. As we arrived at the front the first day, the staff greeted us cheerfully, asking us what cocktails we wanted. The check-in area is huge with big chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and space for 50 people to move around easily without bumping into each other. There were also 3 bars within a one-minute walk from the check-in area. The drinks aren't especially strong and they don't have a lot of major brands of alcohol like Tanqueray, Patron. Same for beer. They had Red Stripe, and, I believe, Heineken, but no major U.S. or other international brands.

We made two huge mistakes which have nothing to do with this hotel but it's good information to know. First, we exchanged money at the airport in Montego Bay. It was a HUGE ripoff! The rate at the hotel was about TEN Jamaican dollars higher! It makes a big difference if you are exchanging a large sum of money. Second, we rented a car (later) from Hertz Jamaica. AVOID HERTZ JAMAICA AT ALL COSTS!!!. I had missed seeing some minor chips in the windshield of the SUV we rented and they weren't noted on the damage form. Upon returning the vehicle, they said the(obviously old to anyone not trying to rip someone off) chips were not there when I had rented the vehicle.They charged me $800 U.S. dollars!!!! Yes, you read that correctly -EIGHT HUNDRED U.S. DOLLARS - because an attendant with no qualifications said the chips would spread and be a danger. They showed no paperwork for anything and no supervisor ever came to speak with me as I had requested. They have not even responded to my complaint, nor my request for photos, paperwork, etc. Do your due diligence and check everything! Don't let the attendant just show you where the damages are. Check inside and out. Sorry for going off on that tangent but it was necessary.

I was at the RIU when the storm that was supposed to be minor, Hurricane Sandy, hit Jamaica. The staff handled everything smoothly. There was no loss of power and they even brought meals to our rooms so we wouldn't have to venture out during the storm. Nothing fancy, but still very thoughtful. They gave detailed information on what the hotel was doing and made sure we were all safe and comfortable. The storm only brushed by that part of the island and there didn't seem to be much damage other than the odd palm frond broken off the tree. The rest of the island was devastated.

Other information - the all-inclusive price does not include the snorkeling or scuba diving as stated on Expedia. You have to pay extra. The property is very well kept and they do a good job of keeping the sand flies away, although the smoke they use can kind of choke you. The wet bar seemed nice but also seemed almost impossible to get to due to the group of noisy people who hogged the area almost throughout the day. There is an outside kitchen right on the beach and the gentleman there cooked up some fairly tasty jerk chicken with a smile and lots of banter. There was also a small hot tub, a gym and a small room with slot machines. The food was good but they served very little authentic Jamaican food and even the Jamaican food they served lacked the real flavor you will find at some of the small restaurants along the main road going into town. They seem to cater to a more European taste. I am not complaining, I understand you have to take care of your main clientele but maybe it would be nice to show them just a little more of what the native flavor of food is like. That is why I rated the food as average. They had a wide selection of appetizers, main courses, desserts, salads and drinks but they lacked the island flavor. I didn't see common Jamaican drinks like sorrel and sour sop when I went to the main restaurant.

The beach is not anywhere near as good as the one on the seven-mile main and that's why I've selected 'average' for location. The hotel is just too far from the main drag and the beach is lacking. By the way, the walk takes about 2 and a half hours into town if you are so inclined. There was no trouble from the natives except for the 'taxis' always beeping their horn to ask you if you need an overpriced ride into town. Taxis cost about 100 JM dollars (about $1.20 U.S.) for natives from that location but I gave one driver double. The fare for foreigners is usually sky high from what I've been told by the guard at the gate. Ask a native about prices, distances, reliable drivers, etc before venturing out. Back to the beach - the sand is not as white as on the main 7-mile beach, the water not as turquoise, and in the water it seems the bottom is composed of clay or something. It feels like you are standing in quicksand or mush. Very displeasing. If you are going for the beach, I don't recommend this area. I did not like it at all. It will definitely deter me from staying there again. I do recommend the hotel but my wife and I mainly went for the beach so that part was very disappointing. Still, the RIU was really nice.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are right on the water . The closest ones are about 10 meters away and many views seem partially blocked by palm trees.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JamNYCer
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Three relatives and myself visited the Riu Tropical Bay for 6 nights at the end of October. Hurricane Sandy had just hit the island the night before we arrived, but hotel generators were working non-stop until general power was restored so we didn't feel any major effects.

THE PROS
Room: Nothing fancy, but definitely nice and clean. The two queen beds pushed together was a little weird, but we were so tired every night from partying, eating, and exploring, that it really didn't matter much at all. The fridge and bar were always well stocked with WATA (we thought this was so cute), red stripes, and cokes for my Appleton rum!

Staff: From Andrew at the swim bar (you'll know him from his songs!) to KO, Jason, and the rest of the enterainment staff, to the chefs at breakfast that remember how to prepare my omelette after the first time.... we recieved nothing but the best hospitality and friendship. They make you feel like you're visiting family rather than a random tourist on a vacation. Always helpful and willing to go the extra mile to make your experience the best...this was definitely the quality that I liked best about staying at the Riu.

Beverages:
If you're looking to float away belly up to Patron shots galore....this is not the place for you. No Patron, Hennessey, Ciroc, 1800, Belevedere....no where. BUT...the drinks that they do offer are tasty and plentiful. If you need an extra shot (or 4) in your vodka lemon, the bartenders are more than happy to pour until your heart is content. And really....who needs all that fancy nancy liquor when you have rum punch made with Jamaica's own Appleton rum? Best dang drink I've ever had - 2 of these will have even the most expereinced drinker floating on cloud 9 :-) And of course, Red Stripe beers were in abundance as well.

Beach:
Unfortunately, the beach was cluttered with huge dunes of seaweed from Hurricane Sandy most of time we were there. But the resort did a great job of trying to clean up as much as they could before vacationers hit the beach in the morning. You can't blame Mother Nature for being who she is! I guess one cool thing is that we saw an abundance of cool little souviners for picking, such as as starfish, conch shells, and sea shells.

THE CONS
Food: The food for room service is a joke. It seriously needs to be revamped. The selection is not appetizing at all and portions sides are ridiculously small. It works to soak up the liquor a little after a night of partying, but don't count on skipping dinner and planning to get full from room service later. The lunch/dinner buffet are definitely the best options for dining during your stay at the Riu....but still only average at best. We only tried the Japanese and the "modern-esque" restauarnt (can't remember the name of it) while we were there, but were not impressed by these either. And reservations are KEY...I would recommend making reservations for each night when you first arrive at the hotel, as reservations fill up very quickly. I enjoy eating like the locals when I visit any country, so I very thoroughly enjoyed the jerk chicken shack on the beach, the beef patties at the lunch bar, and the stewed and curry chicken and cabbage offered at BREAKFAST (didn't matter to me, I gobbled it right up!). Don't worry, there are a multitude of "normal" items served during each meal as well (hamburgers at lunch, eggs and toast at breakfast, etc.)

Nighttime entertainment: I thorougly appreciated and enjoyed the performances of the entertainment staff each night. They work their butts off to put on a great show. But after the show ends at 10:30, there is ZERO entertainment at the resort. None, zilch, nada. A disco/party room would be essential to add back to the property. Not just for young people like me, but I mean, who really wants to go to bed at 10:30 while in Jamaica? Nobody! An option to dance the night away without having to pay to go off of the resort is KEY.

In summary....it was a nice hotel but I would probably not stay there again. But also, I wasn't in Jamaica to do a hotel critique. I was there to dance, drink, make new friends, and enjoy the beautiful scenary. And I did all of the above successfully!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends