“Good All Inclusive Resort Choice In Negril”

Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #20 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Chicago
“Good All Inclusive Resort Choice In Negril”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We really enjoyed our vacation to Negril. I don't have a lot to say about the hotel itself. We liked it and the staff there was very friendly and seemed like they really wanted to help you or wait on you. I only mention that because i don't get that feeling at most other resorts. We were impressed with that. If you are going to Negril, with children, the Riu Palace is a good choice. It is a large resort with a good amount of dining and activity choices, its reasonably priced, has a nice, but not large pool, and a nice beach with calm waters. We never had a problem getting a beach or pool chair. We stayed 5 nights in a suite. It was ocean front. There were a lot of trees in front of balcony. We could only see the water through a small break in the trees. The room itself was clean and large. The bed wasn't the best.

Nighttime entertainment was typical for a large all inclusive resort. We were happy to have it as there isn't really a lot of other nighttime activities that can be done with children.

We ate dinner 2 nights at the buffet, one night at the Italian restaurant, and 2 nights off site. You do need to make your dinner reservations at least a ay in advance. We never did that. Without reservations you can go to the restaurants at one of the two seatings and check for cancellations. There don't really seem to be any, but you may get lucky. The italian restaurant was better than many all inclusive resorts. The staff was very friendly and went above and beyond for us. Not only did they set up a table for us without a reservation, but when our son started to get tired while dining they offered to send our meals and dessert to our room. Breakfast in the buffet was good with multiple stations for fresh cooked food. We only at lunch at the hotel a couple times, both at the jerk hut on the beach. It was good.

Off site dining is very accessible by cab. The driver quotes you a round trip price, and either comes back to get you a certain time or you can call him, either from your cell phone, or often times the restaurant will call for you. The roads by 7mi beach are wide enough to safely walk down. There Is a lot of local food and shops along the stretch. The road in the west end is very narrow, with very little room to walk. We highly recommend getting off the resort for great local food. Cab prices are $20 round trip to downtown negril/7 mile beach area or $30 round trip to the west end. You can also walk down the beach towards the other riu. You can stop at the Office of Nature for a lobster and beer. A little further down are shops set up on the beach and an even more local bar for a drink and a lobster. During the day the walk was not a problem, but it was getting dark on our way back and I did not feel comfortable.

We did two excursions that we recommend. We took a glass bottom boat to the reef for snorkeling. The captains name was Robert and his boat is anchored in front of the office of nature. It was $20 per person and took about 2 hours. The other excursion was the catamaran cruise that the resort sells. It is a 6 hour or so trip that stops on seven mike beach fora quick swim or some shopping, then goes on to the rock house for snorkeling(not many fish) and then ends up at ricks. You have to jump at ricks. The jump is high enough for you to have second thoughts all the way down. Make sure to keep your legs straight and enter the water straight, or you'll end up in pain with a really nasty bruise on the back of your thighs and underside of your upper arms.

Lastly we used reggae tours for private transfers from MBJ. The price was reasonable, and the driver was knowledgeable and friendly.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the added size of the suite
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Rglow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,298)
  • Polish first
Allentown, PA
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Three friends and I stayed at the Tropical Bay Riu Palace. We had a wonderful time. The weather was beautiful. October is a great time to go - the resort is about 60% full - so no big lines, long waits, battles for space. The weather was clear and beautiful and the price was much better than in the winter. I have stayed at the Riu in Montego Bay and Ocho Rios and also previously at the Tropical Bay Palace. In my opinion the Tropical Bay has the best beach of all 3. I stayed at this resort 5 years ago with my husband, mother and 7 other family & friends. It was just as enjoyable and wonderful this time as last. The rooms are comfortable, the food in the buffet is excellent. If people say its repetitive that's only because they aren't adventureous and end up choosing the same food repeatedly. There are lots of wonderful chooses. One of our group loved the chocolate pudding. She even asked Edgar, the executive chef (I think that's his title) to please make it available at other meals. He was very approachable and willing to speak to any of the guests. I loved all of the small samples of the appetizers and desserts. Makes it so nice to try several things without being wasteful or over eating. The various line chefs are always happy to tell you what the food items are and what the ingredients are. In fact they seem to take great pride in telling you about their creations.
We were in building four on the 3rd floor - with a view of the ocean. We really enjoyed the view, beautiful sunsets. One thing you should be aware of - there are NO ELEVATORS - anywhere. So if you have problems with your knees or walking request the first floor. Our group were in the 50+ category and I can tell you it got hard on the knees by the end of the day.
The best part of this resort is the staff. I want to thank the entertainment crew for helping us to have a fun filled time - especially Michael, Neil, Renessa, Krystal, Jason and KO. They provide lots of fun games and activities, entertainment, dancing, and mix and mingle with the guests. They are great! I want to thank the breakfast and lunch wait staff - Anthony, Damian, Mario, Alva, and Tracey for great service and wonderful conversations. I want to thank Todd for his wonderful care in his management of the Steakhouse restaurant and the evening buffet. I want to thank Caple, Carvalho, and Alduane for their service at the evening buffet. Alduane can show you some great card tricks. Last but not least, the bartenders - Shentiesha, Grant, Amanda, Marsha, Kenniel - make great drinks. If you don't talk to the Jamaica people, who have always have a smile on their face and are working very had to make sure that your stay is more than you expected, then YOU are missing out on one of the best parts of the trip. They are not servants and therefore beneath your attention. They are wonderful, loving, caring people who deserve your respect. We especially loved Michael, Renessa, Neil, Anthony, Damian, Shentiesha and Amanda - thank you for making our trip so special!! We'll be back to see these you in a year or two.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank showers54
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful vacation! Beach was great! Ate at the Jerk chicken hit everyday for lunch, which was great. Dinner buffets could use a little variety. Luckily they had a make your own pasta daily. Stir fry station or the like would have been a nice addition. Best desserts of any Riu we have stayed. Went to the Brazilian restaurant one night at the other Riu down the beach and it was great! Staff very friendly, knew our names and our favorite places to sit/drinks/etc. Very helpful and accomodating as we were traveling with our 7 month old son! No problems this time of year getting your pick of chairs at pool or beach. Vendors on the beach were not a bother if you were in your chairs. Security does a good job keeping them down by the water.

A few downsides. One was the wifi. On the free wifi we could get on social media, Skype in the lobby only. Couldn't check our email with the free wifi and couldn't use it in your room. Difficult to get reservations to the restaurants for the 6:30 seating. Bring bug spray, eaten up some nights. Luckily we had brought some. They need more linens, we went 3 days in a row with no washcloths. Asked 3 different people throughout one day, they were always still being washed. The last thing is if you book through a company that offers you a spa credit, bring the print out of your reservation. Still won't guarentee you'll get it but I don't know what else you could do. Wouldn't honor ours, despite showing them the email from our reservation. They said there spa was separate from the hotel and it doesn't cross over from our reservation for them to see it. I was unhappy with the customer service surrounding this, we have stayed at 4 other Riu's with wonderful service!

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Boilermakerwife06
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Overall not a bad experience. Wonderful staff, beautiful beach, Jerk Chicken on the beach was amazing. Not sure that it is worth the extra money to stay at the palace vs. the Rui Negril. We have never stayed at a RIU property before, heard from other guests tath this property was not as nice as other Palace properties.

They had a projector set up for the SuperBowl with a beach BBQ. Great Experience!

No real complaints at all.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I just got back from an amazing vacation at the Riu Tropical Bay in Negril and we had the best time ever. I was a little worried because I came to Jamaica 12 years ago to Montego Bay and had a crazy experience to say the least .It was kind of hard to talk my husband into going to Jamaica so I finally talked him into going , but the reviews at this are either real good or bad at this property and basically all the hotels in Jamaica(I researched a lot on trip advisor!!) so I wasn't sure if he would enjoy himself but I had nothing to worry about .This property is beautiful the beach is amazing the rooms are fine the food is good never did the specialty restaurants we were happy with the buffet !! The staff at the property were very nice and the vibe in Negril and at the hotel really made this trip ,it is truly paradise .My husband just kept saying this is adult Disneyland he was like a kid in a candy store . I don't think I could have picked a better place to stay and will definetly be returning !! Unfortunatly I don't have too many specifics because I didn't spend my time trying to pick apart everything I was far to busy enjoying myself so anyone a little weary of going here because of the reviews don't be you will love it !!!!

Room Tip: From what I can tell Bldg 4 is definetly the place to be close to all Oceanfront would have been ide...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ChrissyFB1
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just left the Riu Palace where my husband and I stayed a week for our honeymoon. There were both good and bad. The good; the service was over the top, the staff works hard to make sure EVERYONE is happy. Everyone that worked for the palace was very friendly. You never had to worry about even getting up to get a drink they had people walking around the beach offering to bring you something. Another good thing was the beach, although there were a lot of vendors, you just have to say no thanks or ignore them and they leave you alone. The beach itself was very clean I never saw any trash laying out anywhere. The sand was beautiful the ocean was beautiful. It is not part of the seven mile beach though, which we were under the impression it was, it is actually located in the bloody bay. We walked to the Riu club one day and the sand at the palace does seem to be a bit nicer. The food overall was pretty good, we only ate at one speciality restaraunt which was the steak house, the steak was cooked to order, the lobster was a bite rough but overall it was good. The buffet has a lot of options so you never leave hungry, the dessert is so good. The bad; the room itself, two double beds pushed together, we could not even sleep anywhere near eachother and it was our honeymoon! The beds were also way too firm, it was basically like sleeping on a floor we are both still in pain for sleeping all week on them. Also we were under the impression we had a suite, but it turned out we had a Jr suite which is just a regular room. The air conditioning didnt work at all the first night we were there and it is very hot and humid there, they did end up fixing it and after that it worked the whole time.
Overall though I would recommend staying here, the beds did not bother us too much as we were treated so well the whole time. I would go back again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank krista c
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I wanted to take a moment to tell you about our experience last week to this hotel. I am a travel agent so I like a brutaly honest opinion and expect that others will appreciate that, but I have NOTHING but great things to say about RIU Palace - Tropical Bay. From the moment we stepped on property, were were treated like Royalty when they brought us fruity tropical drinks and moist towels, and upgraded all of those in our travel party to BEACHFRONT, simply because it was available. They did not try to get more money out of us by asking if we wanted to PAY for an upgrade, they just DID it!

The building itself is beautiful and perfectly maintained, as is the beach, which was EXACTLY what I had been dreaming about and desperately needing. NO part of the resort was left untouched. We were traveling with freinds, and from their 3rd floor beachfront room, they could not see the sunset on our first evening there. In joking with a maintenance worker later on, they mentioned "Why dont you move those trees so we can see the sunset", at 7am the next morning (NOT KIDDING), the branches obstructing their view were gone. Their desire to accomodate you in any way that they can was unbelievable.

We were slightly dissapointed in the alcohol available, could not really find a drink we could drink more than a few of. Food was fine except for the Japanese restaraunt that was almost inedible (GROSS), and we went to the buffet afterwards, which had great choices and always fresh, and the BEST waiter "CHAD* was our dinner entertainment. Not great night life, which was fine with us, but had a great beach bonfire one evening.

The only complaint we had while we were there was that the cieling fan was noisy. Within 5 minutes someone was at our door to fix this, and within an hour, we had 3 calls from hotel managers making sure we were satisfied.

I cant say enough great things about the resort, the beach, the people, and even the locals trolling the beach offering us "The Good Stuff" (be careful anyone with an addiction problem) were entertaining and became a part of our memories. We will forever remember Wesley Snipes look-a-like saying ..... "CIGARS...ARS...ARS, CIGARETTES, IT"S GONNA BE A HOT ONE, HOT ONE, HOT-HOT-HOT ONE!!! :) AND KING LOUIE - who sang to us.... "ARE YOU READY FOR ME, YOU WANNA MARRY TO ME"

GREAT TIME!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Tinkerbelletravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Legends Beach Hotel
#27 of 80 in Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!