“ADULT DISNEYLAND”

Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay
Ranked #19 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I just got back from an amazing vacation at the Riu Tropical Bay in Negril and we had the best time ever. I was a little worried because I came to Jamaica 12 years ago to Montego Bay and had a crazy experience to say the least .It was kind of hard to talk my husband into going to Jamaica so I finally talked him into going , but the reviews at this are either real good or bad at this property and basically all the hotels in Jamaica(I researched a lot on trip advisor!!) so I wasn't sure if he would enjoy himself but I had nothing to worry about .This property is beautiful the beach is amazing the rooms are fine the food is good never did the specialty restaurants we were happy with the buffet !! The staff at the property were very nice and the vibe in Negril and at the hotel really made this trip ,it is truly paradise .My husband just kept saying this is adult Disneyland he was like a kid in a candy store . I don't think I could have picked a better place to stay and will definetly be returning !! Unfortunatly I don't have too many specifics because I didn't spend my time trying to pick apart everything I was far to busy enjoying myself so anyone a little weary of going here because of the reviews don't be you will love it !!!!

Room Tip: From what I can tell Bldg 4 is definetly the place to be close to all Oceanfront would have been ide...
6  Thank ChrissyFB1
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just left the Riu Palace where my husband and I stayed a week for our honeymoon. There were both good and bad. The good; the service was over the top, the staff works hard to make sure EVERYONE is happy. Everyone that worked for the palace was very friendly. You never had to worry about even getting up to get a drink they had people walking around the beach offering to bring you something. Another good thing was the beach, although there were a lot of vendors, you just have to say no thanks or ignore them and they leave you alone. The beach itself was very clean I never saw any trash laying out anywhere. The sand was beautiful the ocean was beautiful. It is not part of the seven mile beach though, which we were under the impression it was, it is actually located in the bloody bay. We walked to the Riu club one day and the sand at the palace does seem to be a bit nicer. The food overall was pretty good, we only ate at one speciality restaraunt which was the steak house, the steak was cooked to order, the lobster was a bite rough but overall it was good. The buffet has a lot of options so you never leave hungry, the dessert is so good. The bad; the room itself, two double beds pushed together, we could not even sleep anywhere near eachother and it was our honeymoon! The beds were also way too firm, it was basically like sleeping on a floor we are both still in pain for sleeping all week on them. Also we were under the impression we had a suite, but it turned out we had a Jr suite which is just a regular room. The air conditioning didnt work at all the first night we were there and it is very hot and humid there, they did end up fixing it and after that it worked the whole time.
Overall though I would recommend staying here, the beds did not bother us too much as we were treated so well the whole time. I would go back again!

4  Thank krista c
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I wanted to take a moment to tell you about our experience last week to this hotel. I am a travel agent so I like a brutaly honest opinion and expect that others will appreciate that, but I have NOTHING but great things to say about RIU Palace - Tropical Bay. From the moment we stepped on property, were were treated like Royalty when they brought us fruity tropical drinks and moist towels, and upgraded all of those in our travel party to BEACHFRONT, simply because it was available. They did not try to get more money out of us by asking if we wanted to PAY for an upgrade, they just DID it!

The building itself is beautiful and perfectly maintained, as is the beach, which was EXACTLY what I had been dreaming about and desperately needing. NO part of the resort was left untouched. We were traveling with freinds, and from their 3rd floor beachfront room, they could not see the sunset on our first evening there. In joking with a maintenance worker later on, they mentioned "Why dont you move those trees so we can see the sunset", at 7am the next morning (NOT KIDDING), the branches obstructing their view were gone. Their desire to accomodate you in any way that they can was unbelievable.

We were slightly dissapointed in the alcohol available, could not really find a drink we could drink more than a few of. Food was fine except for the Japanese restaraunt that was almost inedible (GROSS), and we went to the buffet afterwards, which had great choices and always fresh, and the BEST waiter "CHAD* was our dinner entertainment. Not great night life, which was fine with us, but had a great beach bonfire one evening.

The only complaint we had while we were there was that the cieling fan was noisy. Within 5 minutes someone was at our door to fix this, and within an hour, we had 3 calls from hotel managers making sure we were satisfied.

I cant say enough great things about the resort, the beach, the people, and even the locals trolling the beach offering us "The Good Stuff" (be careful anyone with an addiction problem) were entertaining and became a part of our memories. We will forever remember Wesley Snipes look-a-like saying ..... "CIGARS...ARS...ARS, CIGARETTES, IT"S GONNA BE A HOT ONE, HOT ONE, HOT-HOT-HOT ONE!!! :) AND KING LOUIE - who sang to us.... "ARE YOU READY FOR ME, YOU WANNA MARRY TO ME"

GREAT TIME!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Tinkerbelletravel
Reviewed October 17, 2012

No need to be worried at this hotel - It has everything. Its in a stunning location, colonial style rooms as with all Riu Hotels. Very good food with lots of choices and staff who are very friendly
and cant do enough for you. We never had any problem with booking the speciality restaurants no matter what time of day we went. Desk is open from 8.00am - 16.00 pm. There is no rush to bag sunbeds on the beach as there are plenty, the beach is so big and beautiful, and better than Couples Negril and Breezes which are next door. My husband and I stayed at Couples Swept Away last year and in our opinion we found the Riu Palace Tropical Bay to be the better hotel of the two, We would definately return to this hotel in future. Our rooms were cleaned daily and fresh towels and flannels were provided too. We went to a couple of shows in the evening which were very good but to be honest our vacation was just to relax and unwind and we did just that.

Thank you Riu for a perfect holiday, we will be back!

Room Tip: Requested a ground floor room as I have a foot condition. Promptly gave me a ground floor suite with...
6  Thank Islandtraveller_7
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife, son and I stayed at the Riu Palace in September. We travel a great deal each year and enjoy our vacations. This is NOT anywhere near a 5 star hotel. It is at best a 3+ hotel. The hotel is VERY tired and is in need of renovations. New management has been brought in to try and improve standards. Even the General Manager told me that the hotel does NOT meet the standards of a 5* resort.

On the positives- the beach is beautiful, staff at the bars/restaurants are friendly, hotel is kept clean and the salad bar is good.

The negatives - the food with the exception of the salad bar and jerk shack is mediocre at BEST. In fact, I have not had more mediocre meals in 30 years of hotel stays. There is a-la-carte dining at the hotel but only half of the restaurants are open each night and you have to line up early in the morning to book the following day. You can only book dinner one night at a time and if you are late booking you cannot get reservations -your only choice is the buffet restaurant. There is a pool which is VERY SMALL and shallow (maybe 4.5 feet deep) so swimming in the pool is not an option. My wife and I paid for an UPGRADED Junior Suite Ocean View room and were given two double beds. Apparently there are no King or even Queen beds in the Junior Suites. We had our 4 month old son with us and specifically booked a King bed through our travel agent so he could sleep with us. The hotel manager told us our only option was to pay a SECOND upgrade fee if we wanted the King bed we booked. Out of principal we were not interested in paying a second upgrade fee so were only given the option of a lower class GARDEN view room for a KING bed. We were told by management to fight with our travel agent for a refund for the difference between what we paid and received. The hotel manager had absolutely no customer service skills and made us wait for 2.5 hours with an upset 4 month old, our luggage in 90 degree weather. The hotel was WELL under 50% capacity so had MANY available rooms. Throughout the week heard of numerous individuals having similar issues and fighting with the hotel management. I wish I had listened to the numerous poor reviews of the hotel before I booked our last minute trip. I would STRONGLY DISCOURAGE this hotel. There are far better hotels and deals out there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank 597Andrew
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Just returned from the Riu Tropical Bay Resort. My husband and I and 6 friends had a wonderful time there. Highlights: beautiful water, clear, warm, calm and soft white sand. This beach at this hotel is one of the best. Nothing on seven mile beach comes close. The hotel and staff: This staff was the most polite, friendly, and sincere that I have ever encountered at a resort. They went out of their way to make our group feel like they valued our stay with them. The food was very good, many selections at the buffet and speciality resturants. Kudos to the pastery chefs, excellent choices, spectacular presentations and wonderful flavors. Resort games: staff worked very hard to include everyone and we had a great time participating. I would like to commend Fabian at the pool bar: what a nice young man who attened to our groups needs. He was so polite and well spoken and always served us with a smile! Bloody Bay is a beautiful beach, 3 miles to walk along the clear blue warm waters. The only bad thing was the mosquitoes: October is considered the rainy month so mosquitoes go along with that. Just make sure you bring your bug spray. The resort does spray every other day, would like to see it done daily during this time. This is the second time in 4 years we have been to this resort and we feel they have really stepped up their game in food services, accomodations, and an interest in their guests having a great vacation. Would definitly go back again and again!

Room Tip: Looking at the beach I would recommed rooms to the left of the pool: quiet with good ocean views Roo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank oe542bob
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We went here for my cousin's 40th wedding anniversary. The rooms were nice and we only had one meal we were not crazy about. The service was good and the beach is absolutely beautiful. Make sure to participant in the water aerobics at the beach

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Cratsley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
Royalton Negril
Royalton Negril
#23 of 80 in Negril
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!