“Above average Riu”

Ranked #21 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Chicago, Illinois
“Above average Riu”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have been to a number of other Riu Palace properties, and i liked this one the best. The food was better, some of the better label booze, and a great beach. its actually on Bloody Bay which is beautiful - only 4 resorts on the bay (5 if you count the Sunset at the Palms beach next door): 2 Riu, Sandals and Breezes. Entertainment was outstanding. Service was generally very good. We moved into a oceanfront room after being in a room overlooking the restaurant roofs due to noise from air conditioners, and while it was billed as a Ocean View, it was a stretch to see much ocean. Be aware that the first floor oceanfront rooms you may get a few mosquitos/gnats, but they spray along the balconies regularly and it goes with the territory in June in the tropics. High floors are better in that respect.

This is one of the smaller Riu's in their portfolio, which i liked. Some of their places are mega resorts.

We also toured (my wife is a travel agent) Sunset at the Palms which is across the road, but has its own beach next to the Riu. Beautiful property and high-end place if you dont mind walking across the road to the beach and paying more, but it was like a jungle botanic garden.

Room Tip: The property is not very deep from beach to road, so if you get a room in the back buildings you can...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RSGbiz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,271)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and 5 month old son and I stayed here for 4 nights for a wedding over the 4th of July. There were things I like and things I didn't. We have stayed at a Riu before (Costa Rica) and were pretty excited to stay here. It might be the fact that this resort is older, but we like the one in Costa Rica much better. Here are some of the things I liked:

1. The beach - it was beautiful and never really crowded.
2. The food - it was the typical all inclusive cuisine. We only ate at one of the restaurants (steak house) and I was pleased.
3. Bars/bartenders - they were nice and the drinks were good (although I didn't drink much, my husband did)
4. Housekeeping - they always had the room cleaned and the fridge was always stocked

Here are the things I didn't like:
1. Front desk/service - we asked for a crib and when we didn't get it the first night, we called to let them know and they were more worried about whether we actually had previously requested one than getting one to us. My sister in law (bride) punctured here foot on a bottle on the beach and they took forever to get someone there to stitch here.
2. The room - we thought we booked the nicest room (ocean front) but it was far from it. We did have a view of the ocean, but other than that it was the same as the cheapest room. The area that we were in also smelled like sewage (building 6). It was also very loud. I could hear people talking through the vent in the bathroom. And I could hear the bed in the room above us creaking in the middle of the night. The room that the bride and groom were staying in was awesome though. They were told that they were upgraded to the presidential suite.
3. Restaurant availability - by the time we got there (Wednesday) there was nothing available until Saturday and they only had a 9pm seating. The only reason we got to eat at the steak house was because it was the wedding reception.
4. Craft market - there were shops along the beach and we also went into town to the craft market. I have been to these types of shops before and knew what to expect. They will jack up the pice (expected) but they will hound you to go to their shop then their neighbors shop and so on. It got very frustrating for me.

We had a good time, but I will not be returning to this resort if I ever go back to Jamaica.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank vhc09
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Rooms: Stayed on the top floor. Rooms were nice, there were a few ants and stuff but that's usually to be expected in Caribbean destinations I think. The walls though are paper thin, you always wake up early because some guy decides to slam his door at 7am. You can hear the people in adjacent rooms so if you're neighbors have loud children staying with them, you'll hear it all.

Service: Usually excellent! Most people have a great attitude and amazing service. While at the evening show, there's always a server who passes by every table taking orders for drinks, making sure everyone is happy.
If ever something's wrong, they'll do everything they can to make it right: one day, my TV wasn't working. I called the front desk, they sent someone to fix it 10 minutes later.

Food: We ate at the buffet, where the food was pretty average. Not amazing, but there's a lot of variety so picky eaters will often find something to eat.

Beach: Crawling with red ants, we got bitten quite a lot while lounging on the beach. Also there are no umbrellas/ huts on the beach; you'll have to find shade under a tree. Also, there are NEVER any towels available when wanting to exchange them. They're somehow always being laundered!

Entertainment : Pretty good most nights, also there is often a band that sings reggae music before and after the show. The entertainment crew is great, really friendly! Often walk around the beach, socializing with the guests to make sure everyone is having a good time!

A lot of people had told me that the beach vendors were a big nuisance in Jamaica: I honestly thought that it wasn't that bad. They mostly walk by the water and yell out what they're selling, if you're interested you can go over to them but they don't usually come up and bother you while you're lounging on the beach. Except of course for a few reggae singers with guitars who serenade you on the beach :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank michoo24
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We visited this hotel in 1/11 and again in 1/12. Big difference. the food is drearily the same every night and the a la carte restaurants are not worth a visit.

The room door-closing mechanism is such that the door slams loudly unless you're very careful about it. The two young girls in the room next to us were not careful, kept late hours and had battalions of visitors. We finally called the desk one night to beg for mercy. Security came and things quieted down---that night. The following night it was the same story. We requested a room change the next day which was granted. Still, this was a pain. The room might have been cleaned at any hour so that you never knew when it was safe to go back and take a nap. On two occasions, the room was not done until 4 o'clock.

I've been to lots of all-inclusives but never saw as much inebriation as here. The ruckus started early in the day (the 9 AM Margaritas and Bloody Marys) and never stopped. Generally, it was a hard-drinking, raucous crowd.

I'm used to Club Meds where tipping is very much discouraged. You put your money in the safe and don't touch it again till you leave. Not here. Various guests tipped ostentatiously so if you were among those who took seriously the "all gratuities included," you felt uncomfortable. If the flashy tippers had gone to a place where tipping is the norm, they wouldn't have been able to get away with such stingy tips.

The bar area and piano player were very nice but it was spoiled by there being too few places to sit. As there was no divider between smoking and non-smoking areas, you generally had to endure a lot of smoke, cigarette and cigar.

We won't be returning.

Room Tip: Choose one in another property.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank happyguy714
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Hi let me start by saying I have travelled around the world from one side to the next have stayed in 5 different rui and been to maldives etc etc.
I cannot believe some of the reviews regarding this hotel we had two rooms in block 4 no air conditioning problems, or insect problems we were on the 2nd level to be fair, from the minute we arrived at the airport private taxi organised via thomsons stop for a red stripe on the way get a feel for what you are about to experience on your hols in the 1st hour that is friendly people who want to learn from you and relax in your surroundings.
We arrived at hotel checked in within ten min in our room with a ocean view and the beach is fantastic, cases arrived within 5 min a dollar tip per case 4 dollars so what is that nothing and u can get to the pool to relax after flight, we had no problem any day getting a sunbed or towels from 8am and pool guys really friendly I would say that the concrete gets really hot and I mean hot but hey put your flip flops on or go to pool bar that does get busy but it should people are on holiday never used it myself got to be said lots of drinks not many toilet breaks say no more.
Went to all restaurants steaks are the best japanese needs to fix air conditioning asap and plenty of choice in buffet as well othing ever too much for waiters a tip now and again goes along way.
Plenty of bars in the top bar jodeen and natalie are superb so friendly and again they look after you great customer care nd thanks girls
On taxis prices varies from one to the nex do nott get in one outside the hotel unless it has red number plate this means they are registered or get one from inside the hotel they will price in us dollar I would say everything priced in US dollar not there own take plenty with you shops are ok all sell the same to be honest barter barter all the way
Just to finish a great hotel in a great place we will be back next year we are not easily pleased but I cannot understand negative feedback go and experience it yourself 1st time I have reviewed any hotel but just wanted to support a hotel that deserves it.

Room Tip: Block 4with ocean view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Neil H
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I had an amazing time at Riu. It was my first time out of the United States. I was a little reluctant at first because of all the negative reviews the resort had, but decided to experience it first hand. I was very happy there (other than the very rainy, cloudy weather). Of course it had some negatives about it, but every place will. Everyone has something to complain about with any place that they go. I loved the people at Riu, they were so very nice and accommodating. There isn't much to do on the resort itself, but there are plenty of options to be able to go on excursions for minimal to large fees or ride over to the sister Riu where there is a night club (we never did this). Of course, you'll have people tell you they will show you the real Negril, I wouldn't recommend it though. A couple on our vacation ended up getting arrested and spending their remainding vacation in jail. The resort is beautiful and well kept. Some of the resort seems outdated, but time does that to anything. The entertainment staff was hilarious and fun. I think the thing I disliked about the resort was the children. I do enjoy children, but as of now I have no kids of my own and was just looking for a good getaway with my boyfriend. Obviously, I know families vacation together and take young children, but they weren't sticking to the pool that was meant for the kids. I didn't mind it so much when they weren't splashing around and being super loud. I just know for next time I may choose a resort that is adults only.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CassandraJoy
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I spent a lot of time researching resorts and finally decided on RIU Palace Tropical Bay and I was VERY disappointed in our stay.
If I could do it over I would stay at Couples Negril. It is slightly more expensive but we would have had better food, better drinks, better pool, better service and we would have been able to eat at the restaurants.
I planned this trip for 3 couples and none of us were happy with the money we spent and what we got for it.
If good food and good service means a lot to you on your vacation than I would highly recommend staying some place else.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 3 with an ocean view and it was clean and the mini bar was always full.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kelly T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!