“Very Nice Vacation!”

Ranked #21 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Lafayette, Indiana
“Very Nice Vacation!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I had an amazing time at Riu. It was my first time out of the United States. I was a little reluctant at first because of all the negative reviews the resort had, but decided to experience it first hand. I was very happy there (other than the very rainy, cloudy weather). Of course it had some negatives about it, but every place will. Everyone has something to complain about with any place that they go. I loved the people at Riu, they were so very nice and accommodating. There isn't much to do on the resort itself, but there are plenty of options to be able to go on excursions for minimal to large fees or ride over to the sister Riu where there is a night club (we never did this). Of course, you'll have people tell you they will show you the real Negril, I wouldn't recommend it though. A couple on our vacation ended up getting arrested and spending their remainding vacation in jail. The resort is beautiful and well kept. Some of the resort seems outdated, but time does that to anything. The entertainment staff was hilarious and fun. I think the thing I disliked about the resort was the children. I do enjoy children, but as of now I have no kids of my own and was just looking for a good getaway with my boyfriend. Obviously, I know families vacation together and take young children, but they weren't sticking to the pool that was meant for the kids. I didn't mind it so much when they weren't splashing around and being super loud. I just know for next time I may choose a resort that is adults only.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CassandraJoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,271)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I spent a lot of time researching resorts and finally decided on RIU Palace Tropical Bay and I was VERY disappointed in our stay.
If I could do it over I would stay at Couples Negril. It is slightly more expensive but we would have had better food, better drinks, better pool, better service and we would have been able to eat at the restaurants.
I planned this trip for 3 couples and none of us were happy with the money we spent and what we got for it.
If good food and good service means a lot to you on your vacation than I would highly recommend staying some place else.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 3 with an ocean view and it was clean and the mini bar was always full.
2 Thank Kelly T
Carbondale, Illinois
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This is the 3rd time in 5 years we have stayed at this property and by far the worst. The beach, water and pool were wonderful and the resort wasn't very crowded. Here is the issue. we had two rooms on the top floor overlooking the ocean and the AC stopped working in both rooms. The front desk folks didn't seem to be able to make a definative decision like in the states and it seemed like there wasn't a general manager in site to make a decision immediately. When I went to the front desk 2 other people came up with the same issue. They moved our rooms that night in the same building to the ground floor where the AC was working. We killed many mosquitoes that night and I got ate up along with our 5 year old. In the morning on the way out of the room one of the maintenance people queered me on the room change and I told him and HE said "they should give you the same room, won't the mosquitoes bother you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well aside from then our ceiling fan not working, the remote not working AND no one answering the front desk phone until I visited them in person (then our room phone quit working) I was thinking 1. who built this place and 2. how can you not have someone in charge from a Westernized country who can deal with guests and their problems who are paying thousands of dollars. as always the people were friendly, food was ok, etc...... but the issues with the room, service and insects were too much to consider ever staying in a RIU again. As an aside I went back to the room where it was being cleaned during the day and guess what the maid had the door wide open, guess were those bugs were entering in.........................................

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This was our third trip, and we had another great experience.

For transportation to and from, we used Clive's Transport Service. Round trip was 140$ for a private taxi. He was there on time, we went straight to the hotel, no waiting and no stops. Clive was great, shared a lot of history and facts about the island on the way, and also handed us each a cold Red Stripe when we got in. His son, Christopher took us back, and again, he was on time, quick, courteous, etc. I can't say enough about Clive and Co.!

Check in was great, no line or wait. After two nights, we upgraded to the big suite, and it was wonderful! We highly recommend the bump up. Separate shower and double tub.

Beach was quiet and shady, we spent most of our time there. It is the best beach we've ever seen, and it's why we return.

Entertainment at night was very well done, one night there was a steel drum band from a local school that was great.

Food was never disappointing in the buffet restaurant. We went to the Japanese restaurant one night, but it was not as fresh as the food in the buffet, and we had to be there at 6:30. If you're going soon, ask to be seated in Chad's section for dinner. He is an excellent server.

Room Tip: large suite was great!
2 Thank Kern C
kent
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed at the Riu Plave 5th-19th April12 this was such a big holiday as it was our wedding destination as well. There was 14 of us all together and we all had the most amazing time!!! on arrival we had cocktails waiting for us and check in was very speedy. Me and my partner and our 2 year old little boy was upgraded to an ocean view room on arrival, what was stunning no faults what so ever. Was well cleaned, fresh towels, lovely huge room, view was amazing and the aircon was brilliant also the little touches that the maid done just made it even more special. The lobby was stunning always well maintanined and clean. The restaurants where very nice, but we mostly enjoyed the buffet, there was one waitress that looked after us the whole stay. The pool area was lovely well kept and clean and the white sandy beach just took our breath away. (yes you have a few people selling weed and cigerattes, but you say no and they go away no problem) We did stay around the pool most of the time just it was easy for our little boy. There was a few of the staff in the pool bar and lobby bar that where rude and always wanted to be tipped but cant say it ruined my holiday. A must is ricks cafe was beautiful and if your in too cliff jumping definatly the place for you, we also swam with the dolphins in Negril what was out of this world.On 2nd day we had a meeting with the rep and the manager came down and met us, there was a problem with one of teh family members room and he got it sorted within hours and throughout are stay he kept checking if everything was ok, what was very nice. I was worried about teh bugs and getting bitten as i suffer terriabley when i go abroad but i didnt get bitten once (shock) some of the member in our group got bitten a couple of times but not constant, was very impressed as for cockriached i didnt see one the whoel time we was out there. We met are wedding co-ordinator on the 2nd day, she knew her job well and helped in many ways. We chose the beach location and everything we wanted we got and it was the most amazing day ever, as our wedding was late in the holiday we got to see many weddings taking place so we could decide what we wanted and what we didnt want. I think the bands are very over priced so we had are own music what they set up on a speaker what was really nice. The minister Rudolph was amazing very funny and made them nerves go away. We had the photographer from the hotel and he was fantastic the pictures he took where out of this world (would rate you to have them do your photography). We then had our reception at the steak house, we had are own separte bit all set up and layed up lovely, the staff where amazing and couldnt do enough for us. We then moved out in entertainment area and had lots of drinks and danced to the band that where playing that night. All in all was the best day of our lives and everything met the requiremnts we wanted. Having travlled many places the whole group thought this holiday was fantastic and definntaly a PALACE by a mile, you can see where your money goes BEST HOLIDAY EVER. We will be returning.

Room Tip: Ocean view block 3
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2012

The RIU Palace Tropical Bay was very cool. We'd stayed here when it the RIU Tropical Bay 5 years ago. This trip was split between a friends Mo'Bay home, Rooms on the Beach Negril and the RIU Palace...We checked out of Rooms and arrived about 11:30a at the RIU on 6/28/12. Imagine our surprise when our original bellman from 2004, Perry greeted us with hugs and smiles...A Few seconds later, we received a a cool welcome fruit punch and a upgrade at check in....Yes, it was good to get back to the "new" RIU! We paid for a garden side room and taken to an oceanfront... We are always surprised when we open the fridge full of Red Stripe,Pepsi and look up to see the 5th's of Apppleton Rum, Brandy, Vodka and Whiskey,lol. The Jerk Hut on the beach was yummmmeeee! The Steakhouse was good, The Japanese restaurant was OK, but our fave was the variety of choices at the "Negril Buffet"! The only issue we had was our safe at RIU Palace. The safe kept showing error messages. I called the front desk and Michael, the manager on duty showed up each time within 15-20 minutes to reset it. No to me, that is customer service!!!! What a nice romantic place!!! We walked on the beach from RIU Palace to Club RIU. Saw many , many more kids at Club RIU and a younger clientele than at the Palace....I was surprised by the lack of higglers/hagglers on the beach, as I enjoy those "one on one" interactions.

Room Tip: Stay way from building 2..Bad smell...We requested at the desk, not to be put in bldg. 2...
6 Thank Smokinbbb
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Our family has stayed a few years ago at this RIU, & has stayed at RIUs in other countries. We have had good trips, until now! This Negril property is aging and they are not maintaining and repairing rooms well! We will not go back. We had 2 oceanfront rooms&had problems with a broken ceiling fan, which when we FINALLY physically got a maintenance man to show up at the room, he said can't fix it because the metal string broke off! Then our below average cooling AC unit stopped working in both rooms! We were moved from the 3rd floor to 1st floor& had cool rooms, but basically the rooms were mosquito infested! Then the room phone stopped working (maybe too many calls to the front desk about maintenance issues?!ha!) And also the TV remote control didn't work, and no one fixed/or replaced it!.... The beaches were fabulous, but sadly this property has not been well kept.

• Stayed June 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay? Share your experiences!