“pretty disappointed after such wonderful stay at Tensing pen”

The Lodge at Tensing Pen
Ranked #35 of 195 Restaurants in Negril
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Lodge brings guests together in an intimate setting overlooking the Caribbean Sea. Our Chef prepares Jamaican influenced fare using the finest ingredients and organic grown vegetables. Complimentary pick up is offered between 5:00 pm and 8:00 pm
Thornton, Colorado
“pretty disappointed after such wonderful stay at Tensing pen”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I have decided to leave this here instead of on my stay review. We overall loved the bar area and looked forward to seeing Razor everyday. The days he was not there the service lacked and here are my two examples.
One lunch service we had my husband and I waited literally 2 hours for our shared hamburger which I thought was extreme but didn't say anything just because we weren't in a rush at first but by the close of 2 hours I was starting to feel pretty angry (and hungry). Malcom was the server this day and we felt on several occasions he was less than enthused about being there and lacked any motivation to be warm or friendly. He never was plain rude but he made me feel uncomfortable to address him or make my frustrations on his general malaise known. Part of that was his age and trying to show respect to him as my elder. It was annoying but we chose to overlook it so we could enjoy everything else. I wish I had said something sooner because the last night of our stay we chose eating dinner at the lodge over going to another resort to enjoy Tensing Pen to the fullest and fully relax and after the fact we were sorry we did and this is why.
My husband went down before I did to make sure we got seated before closing. When I arrived there was a tall slender young man serving this evening and he didn't even bother to acknowledge me when I sat down. I had to get up and ask for menu's which he acted irritated by and then I had to walk over and ask him for a drink which again he acted irritated by. We still had not received menus' and we waited another few minutes before I had to ask him a second time to get them. I have worked in this industry a long time and know he was anxious to leave and was trying to give us the brush off since we came in at 8:45 and dinner is done at 9:00. It was infuriating to me. We were sitting with new friends that we had just met so I didn't want to create a scene or else I would have probably would delt with the situation differently. We finally ordered food and my husband ordered the curry chicken again for dinner as we loved it the first night. He received the chicken stir fry instead, we addressed it nicely to the server and he acted so arrogant about it. My husband then politely just asked to get the curry sauce in lieu of having them remake the whole dish. The server just abruptly walked away huffing, we saw him in the kitchen thinking he was making the curry sauce but that never came. So at the end of the evening my husband was hungry and never ate dinner. It was so disappointing to have such a let down on our last night. We asked to have him remove the dish and was totally unwilling to make the situation right. I then politely excuse myself from our table and went over to our server in private and tried to address the situation. I asked him if there was a reason why he was so unwilling to serve us and if there was something we did to upset him. ( I would never handle it this way at home, however with keeping in mind I was trying to show respect) He started acting erratically and angrily. He blamed the chef for the mistake, made no apology and jumped up from his spot and ran away. I then asked Malcom for his name and he lied to me and told me it was Jason. This is just unacceptable in my opinion. Both of them should be reprimanded if not fired for there actions. I am not one to say this on a normal basis but if that happened to another couple it may make you lose business in the future. It was a horrible note to leave on and very upsetting to us.
I did address this to management and they handled it well and apologized for the bad behavior but upon getting home I just feel very strongly that those two just really don't appreciate their jobs and are abusing customers with their attitudes. It is disheartening after all the other warm and wonderful staff Tensing has with them.
I just know if I acted that way to a customer where I work I would fully intend on not having a job when I returned back to work. Lying is unacceptable to me and both those servers attitudes were abusive to say the least. We will go back to Tensing pen but the only way I will spend money eating there again is if Razor is working or Malcom or that server are not taking care of me. I am not choosing to spend my hard earned money to be abused by staff.
I wanted to leave Tensing on a high note and this experience definitely is lingering as a pretty low point and has had me searching for other places to stay when we come back as I don't need glitzy service but I want taken care of when I am spending money with you and to feel appreciated that I chose to stay and eat with your resort.
I mean this with the best of my heart to only help you improve on what I think is a pretty amazing place and the food was well prepared overall.

3 Thank jmodgeqt2

Kingston, Jamaica
“Scrumptious”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great on ambiance, this cozy restaurant offered individual attention...I could chat with the chef one and one. Loved the infusion of Caribbean flavour in the choices, pork tenderloin in beer and pineapple...yummy. Did i mention the grilled lobster tail...oh WOW.

Portmore, Saint Catherine, Jamaica
“Yum!”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Food was great. I enjoyed the variety offered to me especially as dinner time. Daiquiris were so delicious too lol The atmosphere was lovely and I felt so comfortable and relaxed. I felt like royalty! It was an eating pleasure!

regina
“nice location, good food”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

A very nice location, nestled in the cove on the cliffs; breakfast was decent, service was good; nothing over the top, but all very good.

• Visited February 2012
Columbia, Maryland
“Sadly, service and food at this restaurant has deteriorated.”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We have visited this restaurant five or six times in the past three years. Each time before the service was great, setting beautiful and food of high quality. This year, service was slow and negligent, and the food, particularly the nut encrusted grouper was significantly overcooked. We were a party of 8 with reservations. When we arrived, there were only one or two parties seated, yet we still had to wait for them to set up the table. When asked about a particular preparation for cooking a fish, that had been recommended by a friend, the waiter told us it must have been a different place because they don't prepare the fish that way. Then later, he said they did, but it was another cook, and it was not available that evening. Four or five of us ordered the nut encrusted grouper, all were over-cooked, and one inedible. That was sent back and returned a half hour after everyone finished their meals. Then it took 45 min to get a bill. Wine was twice the price of other similar restaurants, and there was no offer to comp the meal that was returned. Sad to see that no one is watching for quality of food and service.

• Visited February 2012