“How much fun is this place!”
Review of The Caves

The Caves
Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I heartily adopt all of the wonderful comments about the Caves. Since we just returned, wanted to add a few comments to the lucky ones to follow. Bring water shoes, helps you to get a grip on those slippery ladders, and work on upper arm strength before you go, you are needing it to pull up out of the water! Try to get upper room with a view, ours was great--Macka Tree, but Butterfly, and Stardust are practically over the water--WOW! There is some street noise, but this is worse on weekend nights, Sunday and Monday was fairly quiet. Macka Tree is closer to the road, those other units right on water would be better I think on the road noise factor. Also, you may not get the room you want, since they will not guarantee, but they will switch out to another if it comes available. Get the local Jamaican dishes, so healthy and delicious, you will not feel overstuffed or guilty eating this great food. I'd go for the larger cave dining if the weather is good, the smaller one is a bit claustrophobic, but intimate, you are the only couple in either however. Dinner served only at 730 pm in both. Another very special option is to dine immediately above small cave on inset cliff stone table, they can make it just as beautiful with candles, etc. Dress very lightly for cave dining, very warm in there. Take instructions from Paul before cliff jumping, there is a safe way to do it and you can avoid some injury if you listen. Enjoy the other guests, we made fabulous friends in just 3 days, because everyone is just like you! If they picked this unique small, gorgeous hotel, you will find you have a lot in common with them. For an all-inclusive this is a wonderful deal, you will NOT regret picking the Caves.

Room Tip: Upper unit, with a view, Macka Tree, Butterfly, Stardust...
3  Thank Debra1500
Caves1997, Manager at The Caves, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Debra1500,

Thank you for your wonderful insightful review, you have provided many great tips for our future guests who I am sure will appreciate it. We are happy you got a chance to experience all the various activities that The Caves have to offer and that you had a lot of fun. We look forward to hosting you again in the very near future.

There are newer reviews for The Caves

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

The Caves was such a special experience and unlike any resort I have ever stayed. The view is beautiful and exactly like all of the pictures posted. The food is wonderful, fresh, and can be altered in any way as long as you let your preferences be known in advance. We requested conch fritters a day in advance, and were told, "of course, no problem." The drinks are delicious, especially the Dirty Banana. Most importantly, the staff is wonderful. Everyone is friendly, helpful and attentive, yet they never hover. My only recommendation would be to have more kayaks, and perhaps add some paddle boards to be available. We kayaked, snorkeled, cliff dived, and swam. Snorkeling with Paul is highly recommended as he is able to point out things that you would never see on your own. The cave dinner is definitely a romantic setting and is really beautiful. We rarely left the resort and they will call a taxi for you, should you ever need one.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bprall

Dear Bprall,

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are happy to hear that you had such a fantastic time with us and enjoyed the food and drink so immensely. We always appreciate insightful suggestions and just to let you know we are looking into expanding the repertoire of our Watersports offerings and looking at additional kayaks as well. Paul is very knowledgeable and will assist us greatly as we make these improvements.

We hope we get to host you again in the very near future.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

when you stake out your place for the day along the rock wall leading to the crystal clear water you know what you are paying for. Know your room selection before going - very important and with the right room you can find yourself with an amazing unparalleled view. The food is good but gets a bit repetitive over a longer stay. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room with a view - can make all the difference !!
3  Thank JEL14

Dear JEL14,

We appreciate your feedback. It is great to hear that you truly enjoy your time with us and that the property itself, food and staff played an integral part in that.

Stay tuned to our social media pages; you find many updates especially in terms of food and cocktails. We also always encourage our guests to let us know if they want something else other than what we are offering on the daily menu and now we have made it easier by putting the week’s menu in the rooms.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

This place is great. My fiancé and I along with 3 other couples stayed this past week and it is worth every penny. The all inclusive is incredible. Any alcohol you can ask for along with their speciality drinks is impressive by itself, but on top of that, the food was incredible. Everything is fresh & delicious. If you don't like what's on that days menu they will make you whatever you want. The staff is incredibly attentive and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Roman918,

It was wonderful to host you! The pleasure was all ours in meeting and getting to know you all. Thanks for your mention of the staff, that is always appreciated. We are really looking forward to welcoming you all back very soon.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

First, let me take a moment to thank all of the staff for making our stay so relaxing and wonderful. We were well taken care of from the moment we got there and would love to return one day.

We started by renting a car and driving from Montego Bay. The reason we chose to rent was because we thought we might want to take a day and drive to the beach or go out to dinner. When we got to the property we never left, we never wanted too. I would not rent a car again, I would take the airport pickup service provided by the resort. In the end it would have been more cost effective.

Our room, Sundancer, was awesome. We had the choice of sleeping upstairs or down. Down probably would have been cooler but the view from the upstairs was worth it and we always slept comfortably. We always woke up early because 1. there were loud birds in the morning and 2. we wanted to secure a good spot for the day. The birds were just part of the ambiance so they did not bother us. We started our day everyday with the french press and Jamaican coffee in our bed looking out over the ocean. I want to do that everyday now.

Breakfast is wonderful, the staff is always smiling and happy to see you. The banana pancakes really are everything people have said, wonderful. The fruit plate is also delicious, you just can't get that on the east coast. Do not skip out on the Jamaican specials either. They are yummy.

Lunch and dinner are great too. I never skipped a soup. Although a majority of them are similar they are all delicious. I tried everything because that's who I am. You can usually get a combo plate of all of the food they are serving. Don't miss out on anything.

Then you sit around and vegetate all day, swim, or relax with a cold banana daiquiri which the staff has no problem producing whenever you want.

You must snorkel with Paul. He is a comedian and when it comes to the ocean he knows his stuff. The ocean looks a little daunting but really you get in and just bob like a cork. I spent a lot of time in the water. Jump off of all of the jumps, they are great!

This resort is nice because it is small but you don't have to interact with other people if you choose not too. We met several nice couples and enjoyed getting to know them.

The one suggestion I would have is the cave bar needs to be stocked a little better. We found some rum but nothing to go with it. It's a great idea though and we had fun anyway pouring drinks after we got mixers from another bar. And you can totally go behind the bar and pour drinks for yourself or get beers.

As long as we were there we saw plenty of Heineken and grey goose. Some people you just can't make happy and would be better off at a big all inclusive. For us, the Caves was perfect! Keep it going!!!

Room Tip: I would make sure you get a room with an ocean view.
2  Thank naterday

Dear Naterday,

We are happy to hear you had such a great time with us. Your sentiments and thanks have been passed on to the team, it is certainly appreciated. You hit on the points that truly make us unique: the staff, the food and the property location. The vibe of happiness and relaxation transcend to most of our guests very quickly and it is not unusual to see a table of ten for dinner with five couples that never knew each other before checking into The Caves.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding the Rum Bar, we acknowledge that it needs some more work and we are currently revamping it. We have taken steps already and we will be introducing specialty cocktails on each night that that the Bar is open. One night will be featuring a fantastic display of friendly competition amongst our Servers, as they each come up with something exceptional for our guests to enjoy.

We will “keep it going” until you are back again!

Reviewed May 14, 2014

There's a lot to like here amidst the cliffs and caverns of this quaint resort, and the small, really good things gradually overtake the smattering of little annoying things to make this a boffo bonanza of a vacation spot.

My wife and I stayed in the Butterfly Suite, which I would have a difficult time believing there is a better room anywhere around for miles, and we really loved sitting in the window with the great views of the azure sea and the golden sunset, and doing whatever we wanted to do, which was a lot of things, thank you very much.

Regarding the basics, the food was pretty good, not overwhelming, and the staff was routinely accommodating and pleasant, and again, not overly so, like a few previous reviewers spouted about.

So where did The Caves shine? The terrain, and the spectacular strategic positioning it provided. Let me explain. Here you have a couple of very private caves, replete with crashing waves and a romantic setting, exactly where they lay out the special, for-hire dinners at night. But during the day you can chill out there after grabbing a bevy of beers from the bar and smoke a nice Cuban while snapping off a ton of selfies on your cell and texting them to your jealous friends slogging through their office jobs in the city. It's a beautiful thing.

And earlier in the morning you can score a desirable perch on the cliffside, again, entirely private and away from any hassle. The best ones are snapped up early, so I made a point to get there around 6:15 every morning and reserve my favorite spot with a towel and some cheap paperback books. The early bird gets the worm here, that's for sure. But don't hate me, hate the game.

Overall, I would love to return next year. As time goes by, more and more I realize how good the place was.

Room Tip: The Butterfly Suite is spectacular. You can't go wrong with this one.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Luke182
Reviewed May 12, 2014

This is our second time to visit The Caves. We had such a great time, that we decided we had to go again. What sets this place apart is the customer service. They aim to please and will basically try to accommodate your every want. I read in another review about someone thinking the menu was limited. There is a set menu, but if you have any wants or desires other than the set menu, they aim to get you exactly what you want. My husband will basically eat anything so the menu was great for him. I only eat chicken, and let The Caves know this before we arrived. Upon arrival, Karen and Xavier had a menu they had come up with just for me. If there wasn't chicken on the menu for a particular meal, they prepared a chicken dish just for me. They could have just gotten me a grilled chicken breast when there was no chicken offered, and I would have been more than happy, but no, they had different chicken preparations for each and every meal made up for the entire week. We were there 8 days, and I never had the same dish prepared the same way for any meal. I felt they went over and above to try and make sure that I was happy. Xavier would always ask me how dinner was the night before to make sure that I had enjoyed it. He is just a really nice personable guy, and I know my husband and myself really enjoyed getting to know him.
We stayed in the Butterfly room for 5 nights, and then switched to One Drop for the last three nights of our stay. Both rooms are really cool, and both have a lot to offer.
I think what I miss most when I leave The Caves are the people who work there. This is our second time, and almost everyone that worked there last year were the same people. Glen, Randall, Randy, Zoom, and Oren all make awesome drinks and gave us great service. Paul is an awesome guy that makes sure you are having a good time. You should definitely do the snorkel tour with him. His dives are phenomenal. Xavier is over the food/drink side of things, and I have to say that I thought the food was better this year than last. Everything was fresh, and like I said they tried to accommodate every wish and want that we had. We also had massages while we were there, and both were great. Olivean did mine both days, and she was really good. I am not sure of the names of my husband's masseuse, but he enjoyed both of his also. Karen in the office was always around asking if we were having a good time and if we needed anything. She always had a smile on her face.
I know I have forgotten some people, and I am sorry. Everyone we encountered and had the pleasure of meeting, we felt became our friends. Hopefully, we will get to visit again soon.
Kris and Lisa

1  Thank Krisandlisa
Caves1997, Manager at The Caves, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Kris and Lisa,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It was a pleasure to host you both for the second time around. We are always happy when we have a chance to welcome home returning guests, as we know that there are many options out there and your choosing to come back to somewhere you have been before is an honor to us. We believe our food is one of the biggest parts of what makes The Caves experience unique and regardless of dietary restrictions we want everyone to enjoy their meals by taking them on an unexpected journey.

Thanks for the shout out to many of our team members. Our team knows you both by name and face based on the experiences that you had with each person. We all cannot wait to see you both sitting, smiling on our Font Office Porch with Cliff Hangers in hand sipping as we welcome you back home. Lisa we have many more chicken recipes where those came from:)

See you both soon.

The Caves Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#6 of 80 in Negril
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to The Caves? Share your experiences!