“A great getaway!”
Review of The Caves

The Caves
Ranked #6 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed May 14, 2014

There's a lot to like here amidst the cliffs and caverns of this quaint resort, and the small, really good things gradually overtake the smattering of little annoying things to make this a boffo bonanza of a vacation spot.

My wife and I stayed in the Butterfly Suite, which I would have a difficult time believing there is a better room anywhere around for miles, and we really loved sitting in the window with the great views of the azure sea and the golden sunset, and doing whatever we wanted to do, which was a lot of things, thank you very much.

Regarding the basics, the food was pretty good, not overwhelming, and the staff was routinely accommodating and pleasant, and again, not overly so, like a few previous reviewers spouted about.

So where did The Caves shine? The terrain, and the spectacular strategic positioning it provided. Let me explain. Here you have a couple of very private caves, replete with crashing waves and a romantic setting, exactly where they lay out the special, for-hire dinners at night. But during the day you can chill out there after grabbing a bevy of beers from the bar and smoke a nice Cuban while snapping off a ton of selfies on your cell and texting them to your jealous friends slogging through their office jobs in the city. It's a beautiful thing.

And earlier in the morning you can score a desirable perch on the cliffside, again, entirely private and away from any hassle. The best ones are snapped up early, so I made a point to get there around 6:15 every morning and reserve my favorite spot with a towel and some cheap paperback books. The early bird gets the worm here, that's for sure. But don't hate me, hate the game.

Overall, I would love to return next year. As time goes by, more and more I realize how good the place was.

Room Tip: The Butterfly Suite is spectacular. You can't go wrong with this one.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Luke182

Reviewed May 12, 2014

This is our second time to visit The Caves. We had such a great time, that we decided we had to go again. What sets this place apart is the customer service. They aim to please and will basically try to accommodate your every want. I read in another review about someone thinking the menu was limited. There is a set menu, but if you have any wants or desires other than the set menu, they aim to get you exactly what you want. My husband will basically eat anything so the menu was great for him. I only eat chicken, and let The Caves know this before we arrived. Upon arrival, Karen and Xavier had a menu they had come up with just for me. If there wasn't chicken on the menu for a particular meal, they prepared a chicken dish just for me. They could have just gotten me a grilled chicken breast when there was no chicken offered, and I would have been more than happy, but no, they had different chicken preparations for each and every meal made up for the entire week. We were there 8 days, and I never had the same dish prepared the same way for any meal. I felt they went over and above to try and make sure that I was happy. Xavier would always ask me how dinner was the night before to make sure that I had enjoyed it. He is just a really nice personable guy, and I know my husband and myself really enjoyed getting to know him.
We stayed in the Butterfly room for 5 nights, and then switched to One Drop for the last three nights of our stay. Both rooms are really cool, and both have a lot to offer.
I think what I miss most when I leave The Caves are the people who work there. This is our second time, and almost everyone that worked there last year were the same people. Glen, Randall, Randy, Zoom, and Oren all make awesome drinks and gave us great service. Paul is an awesome guy that makes sure you are having a good time. You should definitely do the snorkel tour with him. His dives are phenomenal. Xavier is over the food/drink side of things, and I have to say that I thought the food was better this year than last. Everything was fresh, and like I said they tried to accommodate every wish and want that we had. We also had massages while we were there, and both were great. Olivean did mine both days, and she was really good. I am not sure of the names of my husband's masseuse, but he enjoyed both of his also. Karen in the office was always around asking if we were having a good time and if we needed anything. She always had a smile on her face.
I know I have forgotten some people, and I am sorry. Everyone we encountered and had the pleasure of meeting, we felt became our friends. Hopefully, we will get to visit again soon.
Kris and Lisa

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Krisandlisa
Caves1997, Manager at The Caves, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Kris and Lisa,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It was a pleasure to host you both for the second time around. We are always happy when we have a chance to welcome home returning guests, as we know that there are many options out there and your choosing to come back to somewhere you have been before is an honor to us. We believe our food is one of the biggest parts of what makes The Caves experience unique and regardless of dietary restrictions we want everyone to enjoy their meals by taking them on an unexpected journey.

Thanks for the shout out to many of our team members. Our team knows you both by name and face based on the experiences that you had with each person. We all cannot wait to see you both sitting, smiling on our Font Office Porch with Cliff Hangers in hand sipping as we welcome you back home. Lisa we have many more chicken recipes where those came from:)

See you both soon.

One Love,
The Caves Team

Reviewed May 11, 2014

I have traveled to Jamaica over 15 times and I am very easy to please. Let me start by saying that the Caves property is gorgeous and is a special place. Staff is friendly and the rooms are big, clean and unique. My new wife and I stayed here for three days for a short honeymoon after getting married at the Rui Palace Tropical bay. When I arrived I expected them to have what the advertised. Premium liquor and beer. It took 4 hours for the to get me a Heineken and there was no Grey Goose which was my drink of choice. They obviously try to save money and get by with serving just Red Stripe and the cheap Liquor. I noticed this, the staff started to get the good stuff out of the closets but were stingy with it. Anytime after 9pm there is not any staff around to make drinks but you are welcome to play bartender for your self, witch could be fun if you know what your doing. But of course they hide the good stuff at that time like Grey Goose ect. Most upsetting was the food. It was all prepared with care and tasted decent but there were no choices. They offered you one soup, one salad, one or two mains one desert. It was obviously a set menu for the day. My wife eats mostly chicken and it was available only one meal. She was stuck with Tofu because they did not have any substitute. Eating Tofu for $650 per night is not right! I'm not a picky eater but being stuck with curry goat was nasty. Another huge problem we had was the service on the cliffs as you relax all day. There is None. Some spots are far from the bar and we asked three times to get served and no one ever came until Glen did 2 hours later. For such a nice place they need to learn better customer service. Like walking around and asking if your guest would like a drink or food. Also they need a better more expansive menu with options. I Loved the cliff diving and swimming but there is no way any person over the age of 65 could get up those ladders. I saw one lady struggle for a while who was young. The Caves is good for a mid aged couple wanting a quiet vacation except for the road noise from 7-11pm and 5-8 am (Jamaican's like there loud exhaust)

Room Tip: Only upstairs, You can hear everything upstairs if on the bottom floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank muskoka9
Caves1997, Manager at The Caves, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Muskoka9,

Thank you for your review. For us it also sadly disappointing as well when guests’ expectations have not been met for any reason at all. We try our best to offer personalized service and to ensure that each guest have one of the best vacation experience possible with us. It is therefore incorrect to say that we short change on service and think of cost when coming up with offerings for our guests. The truth is we are always guided by one thing and one thing only, ensuring that all guests are well taken care of during their vacation and ensuring that their time here is one that is truly unique and satisfying so we can build a fraternity of guests who we can host over and over again as family. We have been very successful in doing so thus far.

There are many items referred to in your Review that is in stark contrast to what happened in reality. For instance you requested Grey Goose vodka and it took us less than five minutes to get it from our storeroom. We had guests in house that were heavy drinkers of this particular brand of vodka and the consumption went quicker than anticipated so the bar was not fully replenish but was in process of being so when you ordered your cocktail. We apologize for that then and again we will extend our apologies here as we should have ensured it was in the bar immediately after the last bottle was finished. There is always Heineken on property and the several buckets of six-packs you receive during your stay should validate that. Our food menus changes daily and on check in we take likes and dislikes from each guest to customize menus according to what each person enjoy. We offer fresh home cooked meals that is served a la carte. We also have vegan and vegetarian menus as well and if tofu was served it is because it was what was requested by our guest.

It great to get feedback, as we are always working to improve on service and our overall offering and it is through the countless feedback from our guests that are actually experiencing the service and offerings that we know what we need to work on and to make them better. However, when there are threats during a stay that negative reviews will be written as the Server took five minutes to come with a bucket of Heineken cliffside versus the expected two minutes from a guest it is somewhat difficult to know what to discount as an irate rant and what to take as actual fact. We would love to discuss in further details though to see if we could assist in clearing up any misunderstandings on both yours and on the hotel part as we would love to host you again given that your wife had such a wonderful stay. Our sincerest apologies for any infraction on our part which resulted in you not having the vacation you hoped for. We hope we can work it out, please email us at info@thecaveshotel.com.

One Love,
The Caves Team

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

I found the hotel on tripadvisor & really wanted to stay here but unfortunately we couldn't book for just the one night. So I booked up the private cave dinner as a surprise for my boyfriend.

On the day afternoon of our booking I received a mail to explain that we couldn't dine in the cave due to choppy sea & asked to reschedule or offered another table as an alternative. We took the alternative due to only being in Negril for the one night.

I was so upset, but had no need to be. Arrived 45 mins early as we decided to leave rick's cafe earlier. Not a problem. We were taken directly to a bar where we had cocktails with a view before dinner. Our personal waiter Glenn collected us for dinner & when we arrived at the table I actually felt pleased the cave was unavailable. We were on a private table on the cliffs above the cave. Completely candlelit with petals everywhere, it was so beautiful & the view was perfect. Glenn was amazing. Such a great waiter, brilliant service. The food was great, especially the starters.
It was a perfect evening & we intend on staying at the caves for a couple of nights next time we're in Jamaica.

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Marcia F
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Definitely do the private cave dinner (like a scene from the bachelor- so romantic!!), and the sunset jacuzzi is a must!! Food here is fabulous- not like an all inclusive at all. Always get the soup!! Dirty bananas were my favorite. Paul is awesome for snorkeling and exploring the caves. Only negative for me was the view from my room. Book top floor and you will have a view no matter where they put you. Make sure you explore whole property! There is a hidden bar in the caves- so cool! If you stay at blue hole room, you will hear some kitchen prep in mornings and have no view from first floor room. Went on excursion horseback riding one day. I loved riding my horse into the ocean up to my waist!! What I didn't like was the very hot 45 minute horseback ride we had to complete before being able to go in ocean!! I'd be willing to pay full price just for the 5 minute ocean gallop!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Beachvacasrbest
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I use Trip Advisor almost exclusively when I am looking for a fun vacation or trip to take and when it came time to book my honeymoon this was no different. I found The Caves and based on reviews it was exactly what I wanted.

I did not have any interest in going to a massive all inclusive and sharing my honeymoon with 100 other couples who got married on the same day. We're also not the 'clubbing' type so really all we wanted was to get away, but still not have to worry about anything. This is where The Caves really exceeded my expectations. I remarked to one couple that you can tell they really take care of their guest by one simple thing.. every morning the sweep the place up. This is common for any resort, but what you don't see is them doing it with a blower. They literally sweep it up with a broom every day. Such a small thing to overlook but it goes to show how much they care about their guests well being. We never once locked our room (probably not good risk management on our parts) because we never felt threatened at all. It's these small things that add up and make the resort what it is. Believe all the other reviews you read about the staff, they are amazing.

For the first half of our week there I think there were only a total of 8 people on property. There were literally more staff than actual people there. When the hardest decision is what set of lounge chairs to sit under you know you've got it made. In talking with one couple you don't try so much to get to know everyone's name so much as you do their location. We were referred to as Atlanta, others as Montreal and so on. If you wanted to spark up a conversation most were more than willing to chat (seriously, after a while you need to talk to someone other than your SO) but there never was the weird obligation to hang out with everyone. It's all at your own speed.

What this place isn't is some luxury resort with 5 star accommodations.. we had an outdoor shower and a small(ish) bathroom. This isn't a W hotel. But as long as you accept that and can enjoy it you will love this place. As others have said it's also a 'quiet' place. There isn't a club and if you want to drink heavily at 2am, well you'll probably need to serve your own drink, but thats OK too. They do offer some entertainment on a few nights that is really fun to go to but even that is 'winding down' around dinner time. It's the perfect getaway when you don't feel like moving or really extending yourself in any way. I am a pretty active guy so I kept wondering if I'd get bored. I even looked up some activities that we could do, but never felt the need the entire time. The days don't fly by but you're also never looking to do much either.

If you make the trek down here, you need to get the private cave dinner. It is the closest you'll come to ever being on the bachelor or similar. I also highly recommend going to the cave bar. You'll more than likely be serving yourself, but there is just something about being that close to the dark ocean and just enjoying your drink and a cigar.

All in all it was an amazing place and I couldn't think of a better honeymoon destination (especially 3 hours flight from Atlanta). We'll definitely be back, as so many have before us.

Room Tip: Moon Shadow is on one end of the property and generally costs the same as a normal one bedroom room...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jarred B
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Best, most relaxing, laid back, romantic vacation ever. Extremely friendly and accommodating staff. Very clean and safe. Whatever you need, just ask. :) A bit pricey compared to other Negril options, but worth every penny. Be sure to reserve a romantic candlelight dinner in the cave or on the cliffside. Also, reserve a snorkeling expedition with Paul, the swan-diving aquatics guru. Definitely try at least one jump into the ocean from the cliffside platforms of varying heights, but be aware that pulling yourself up the metal ladder with waves crashing about you can be physically taxing depending on your conditioning. Food was outstanding. Best soups I ever had. Fresh, local fruit always available. Cohiba cigars available for purchase although they are cheaper in town at the mall shops. If you are a laid back introvert like me, this is your dream destination. You can move about the grounds all day and barely run into other guests. So, grab a drink, have a smoke, open a book, lounge in the jumbo hammocks, and enjoy the perfect weather. You will not be disappointed unless you need to be constantly entertained by other people. Will be back, come Hell or high water. The Caves exceeded my lofty expectations. Book it. NOW!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jarvis P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#5 of 80 in Negril
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 80 in Negril

Been to The Caves? Share your experiences!