“One of the best dining experiences ever”
Review of The Caves

The Caves
Ranked #5 of 81 Hotels in Negril
New York City, New York
“One of the best dining experiences ever”
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

I found the hotel on tripadvisor & really wanted to stay here but unfortunately we couldn't book for just the one night. So I booked up the private cave dinner as a surprise for my boyfriend.

On the day afternoon of our booking I received a mail to explain that we couldn't dine in the cave due to choppy sea & asked to reschedule or offered another table as an alternative. We took the alternative due to only being in Negril for the one night.

I was so upset, but had no need to be. Arrived 45 mins early as we decided to leave rick's cafe earlier. Not a problem. We were taken directly to a bar where we had cocktails with a view before dinner. Our personal waiter Glenn collected us for dinner & when we arrived at the table I actually felt pleased the cave was unavailable. We were on a private table on the cliffs above the cave. Completely candlelit with petals everywhere, it was so beautiful & the view was perfect. Glenn was amazing. Such a great waiter, brilliant service. The food was great, especially the starters.
It was a perfect evening & we intend on staying at the caves for a couple of nights next time we're in Jamaica.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Marcia F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Definitely do the private cave dinner (like a scene from the bachelor- so romantic!!), and the sunset jacuzzi is a must!! Food here is fabulous- not like an all inclusive at all. Always get the soup!! Dirty bananas were my favorite. Paul is awesome for snorkeling and exploring the caves. Only negative for me was the view from my room. Book top floor and you will have a view no matter where they put you. Make sure you explore whole property! There is a hidden bar in the caves- so cool! If you stay at blue hole room, you will hear some kitchen prep in mornings and have no view from first floor room. Went on excursion horseback riding one day. I loved riding my horse into the ocean up to my waist!! What I didn't like was the very hot 45 minute horseback ride we had to complete before being able to go in ocean!! I'd be willing to pay full price just for the 5 minute ocean gallop!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Beachvacasrbest
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I use Trip Advisor almost exclusively when I am looking for a fun vacation or trip to take and when it came time to book my honeymoon this was no different. I found The Caves and based on reviews it was exactly what I wanted.

I did not have any interest in going to a massive all inclusive and sharing my honeymoon with 100 other couples who got married on the same day. We're also not the 'clubbing' type so really all we wanted was to get away, but still not have to worry about anything. This is where The Caves really exceeded my expectations. I remarked to one couple that you can tell they really take care of their guest by one simple thing.. every morning the sweep the place up. This is common for any resort, but what you don't see is them doing it with a blower. They literally sweep it up with a broom every day. Such a small thing to overlook but it goes to show how much they care about their guests well being. We never once locked our room (probably not good risk management on our parts) because we never felt threatened at all. It's these small things that add up and make the resort what it is. Believe all the other reviews you read about the staff, they are amazing.

For the first half of our week there I think there were only a total of 8 people on property. There were literally more staff than actual people there. When the hardest decision is what set of lounge chairs to sit under you know you've got it made. In talking with one couple you don't try so much to get to know everyone's name so much as you do their location. We were referred to as Atlanta, others as Montreal and so on. If you wanted to spark up a conversation most were more than willing to chat (seriously, after a while you need to talk to someone other than your SO) but there never was the weird obligation to hang out with everyone. It's all at your own speed.

What this place isn't is some luxury resort with 5 star accommodations.. we had an outdoor shower and a small(ish) bathroom. This isn't a W hotel. But as long as you accept that and can enjoy it you will love this place. As others have said it's also a 'quiet' place. There isn't a club and if you want to drink heavily at 2am, well you'll probably need to serve your own drink, but thats OK too. They do offer some entertainment on a few nights that is really fun to go to but even that is 'winding down' around dinner time. It's the perfect getaway when you don't feel like moving or really extending yourself in any way. I am a pretty active guy so I kept wondering if I'd get bored. I even looked up some activities that we could do, but never felt the need the entire time. The days don't fly by but you're also never looking to do much either.

If you make the trek down here, you need to get the private cave dinner. It is the closest you'll come to ever being on the bachelor or similar. I also highly recommend going to the cave bar. You'll more than likely be serving yourself, but there is just something about being that close to the dark ocean and just enjoying your drink and a cigar.

All in all it was an amazing place and I couldn't think of a better honeymoon destination (especially 3 hours flight from Atlanta). We'll definitely be back, as so many have before us.

Room Tip: Moon Shadow is on one end of the property and generally costs the same as a normal one bedroom room...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jarred B
Cudahy, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Best, most relaxing, laid back, romantic vacation ever. Extremely friendly and accommodating staff. Very clean and safe. Whatever you need, just ask. :) A bit pricey compared to other Negril options, but worth every penny. Be sure to reserve a romantic candlelight dinner in the cave or on the cliffside. Also, reserve a snorkeling expedition with Paul, the swan-diving aquatics guru. Definitely try at least one jump into the ocean from the cliffside platforms of varying heights, but be aware that pulling yourself up the metal ladder with waves crashing about you can be physically taxing depending on your conditioning. Food was outstanding. Best soups I ever had. Fresh, local fruit always available. Cohiba cigars available for purchase although they are cheaper in town at the mall shops. If you are a laid back introvert like me, this is your dream destination. You can move about the grounds all day and barely run into other guests. So, grab a drink, have a smoke, open a book, lounge in the jumbo hammocks, and enjoy the perfect weather. You will not be disappointed unless you need to be constantly entertained by other people. Will be back, come Hell or high water. The Caves exceeded my lofty expectations. Book it. NOW!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jarvis P
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Everything was good: resort, service, food, weather, views, room.

If you're looking for a busy exciting place with lots of nightlife, this is not the place. However, if you're looking for snorkeling, majestic views, magical caves, this is the place.

It's not cheap but definitely among our best trips. Reminds me a bit of Santorini in Greece.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Butterfly and it's probably the best room there.
2 Thank JasonAub
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Just got back from 4 nights at the cave, and it was everything we were hoping it would be. We actually planned this trip 3 times, but for various reasons couldn't go until now. So it is a compliment when I say The Caves met and exceeded my enormous expectations.

First off, this place is about relaxing. While The Caves has some "stuff to do", I would go somewhere else if you need a bunch of planned activities. Sit back, enjoy the view, the food, the amazing staff, or just the sound of the water. Notice the stars at night. My wife commented after we got back that it was amazing how slowly the day went by at The Caves compared to home. I saw it mentioned in another review of this place and it is true: if you can't "connect" with your partner at The Caves, you probably need to find a new partner.

Tips - try all of the food. It really is homemade Jamaican food and chances are you've never tasted anything like some of it. They will always have two entrees available for lunch and dinner - I always asked for a little bit of both. The rooms are cottages - this is a not a traditional hotel. We had a second-floor room with an ocean view (Macka Tree) and I can't imagine doing it differently if we ever go back. The "prime" lounge-chairs are gone pretty quickly in the mornings, but it's not a huge deal because there are plenty of good spots. We did a kayaking tour with Paul and jumped off of the lowest cliff - that was enough "activities" for us. Every bartender has their drink, so let them surprise you.

This is a small, intimate resort with staff that just want you to have a good time. Seriously nice people. If that sounds like your type of place, you will not be disappointed in The Caves.

Room Tip: Second floor ocean view seems to be the way to go, although I don't think there is a bad choice...
1 Thank cibaknife
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My wife and I just returned from four relaxing days at The Caves. Even after reading all the reviews ahead of time and being in Jamaica several times before we were still impressed and very pleased with our stay. We are both beach lover’s and were a little worried going into it we would miss not having a beach there on the resort. All our previous stays in Jamaica have been at beach resorts. For the amount of time we were there we never really felt like we missed out. The resort and water were amazing. I guess if you’re not a good swimmer it’s a little intimidating to just jump in, but they have floats, noodles and life jackets for you if you want. I think if we were there for another day or two we would have ventured out to spend one afternoon at one of the public beaches around or purchase a day pass at a nearby resort. It gets tough to bring yourself to leave when you have great service, food, drinks and facilities to completely unwind. We had a wonderful 2nd floor oceanfront room. The view was amazing and even though we had people below us and were close to dinner lounge and Sands we felt completely alone once up in the room. The views out the windows were jaw dropping. The room was well kept and clean, if you just keep in mind that you are staying at a beach cottage and not a modern 4-5 star city hotel you will be happy with the accommodations. The traffic noise is present from about mid-day to late afternoon, but around nightfall and beyond it quiets down and you don’t even notice.

What we enjoyed: The amazing views…wow! The resort grounds, well kept and laid out well. Sunsets! The cave dinner. A once in a lifetime experience. We were in the larger of the two and loved it. Breakfast. Yes, the banana pancakes are that good. Snorkeling right around the resort, lots to see (the guided tour w/Paul is a must). The staff, great service and just quality people. We enjoyed getting to know them. Many have worked there for years. The lounge chairs and lounging areas. You have to stakeout prime spots early, but if you have one you’ll be set for a relaxing day. Food, overall we were pleasantly surprised. Yes, some stuff could have been better, but overall for a vacation it was done well and in some cases very well. I was very impressed with a several of the dishes.

Items worth noting. At the cave dinner we saw a rat or two running around the walls. We got a kick out of it. It honestly didn’t bother us, but I could see if someone has a big fear they may get freaked out. As I mentioned above, we thought the dinner was amazing even with the extra visitors. I suggest you request the smaller cave for dinner if you might have an issue. I don’t think it’s possible for them to be there given it’s layout. Lounging areas. If you have one of the prime spots this is not an issue. From my opinion there are four prime spots. If you don’t get one of these then you’ll have to lounge topside and not right down near the water. Not a completely bad thing as there is several spots that are more than adequate, but the prime ones down closer to the water are great, especially if you are going to be in and out of the water all day. You’ll have to keep tabs on who’s leaving when so you can get their spot when they depart and are no longer laying claim to the chairs at 6:30am every morning.

We really enjoyed our time at The Caves and will definitely return one day. Great place, great service and enjoyed meeting some great people while there.

Room Tip: Spend the extra to get an oceanview 2nd floor or two story room. There is nothing as breathtaking a...
2 Thank MakoAus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 81 in Negril
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to The Caves? Share your experiences!