The Caves
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Cliff Hotel(Negril)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewscave dinnerblue holehot tubrum barblue dolphinthe cliffour honeymoonsands barbutterfly roomisland outpostmoon shadowother guestsbanana pancakesfoot jumpcouples massageprivate sunsetwaves crashing
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 24, 2008

My husband and I planned our honeymoon in Jamaica, 3 nights at The Caves & 7 nights at a bigger resort down on the beach. Well after three spoiled days and nights at The Caves, we went to the bigger resort got to our room looked at each other and both said, "I want to go back to The Caves!" We thought there's no way The Caves has any rooms, we called and they were booked for that night but available the following six nights, and so it goes...we spent the night looking forward to returning. Our return trip one day later was even better. Words cannont describe this place. The sheer natural beauty of the property is breathtaking. But what really moved us to change our trip plans was the atmosphere created by a fabulous staff, phenominal food, and a feeling of relaxation that I've never experienced before. From managment to grounds keeping every staff member we met exceeded our expectations 10 times over. They made us feel like family yet treated us like royality. We made friends there (a quick shout out to Gregory, Imron, Alex, Juleene, Paul & all the staff...I can't wait to return to see you!!!), and we do look forward to returning to visit them soon. A few highlights of the trip: THE FOOD...try everything, from breakfast to dinner to the sandwhichs they made us to take with us on our journey home...the food was insanly delicious every meal! The massages, take advantage of the spa it will melt you! Paul, their resident water expert will take you snorkeling and kayaking to all his favorite spots. The experience of being on the cliffs (no beach) far outweighed any beach I've every been to. The water is deep, warm, and very little current. You can float, snorkel, explore caves, and cliff dive, in your own little paradise. No crowded beach, fighting for lounge chairs, or reserving snorkeling gear a day in advance. Book a private dinner in the Caves and at the private hot tub carved into the cliff side. Walk the lush gardens and explore every inch of this tiny paradise. The cottages are fabulous. Embrace the uniqueness of your room. Each room being so very different. All the rooms are truely open air (a few have A/C too). We stayed at One Drop then Makatree. One drop had an outside shower, that you have to embrace b/c it's awesome. Makatree had a view of endless ocean. The entire resort is filled with locally made handcrafted furniture and adornments. Enjoy the serinity that this place can provide to rejuvinate you mind, body, and soul. This is a place that offers an atmosphere for profound relaxation. And with it's all-inclusive package an absolute GREAT value (I may kick myself for saying this, but they could charge 2 or 3 times as much and I'd still go back) I've always been of the mind to explore as much as possible, see a different place each vacation, but I have no doubt that we will return to The Caves and hopefully soon. The only downfall to The Caves is they set the bar so incredibly high I may never go anywhere else!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Wintersfam
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We had the pleasure of staying at the Caves for 6 days/5 nights. This resort is like no other. It is almost entirely open air which was a new experience for us. I'm pretty sure that all of the non-AC rooms have fantastic views. I think that most of the AC rooms do not have views (except for Sea Turtle) which has the best of both worlds: AC AND a view! We were in an AC room (Blue Hole) and did enjoy it but looking back I wish I had opted for the view rather than AC. The room is very private if that is what you're looking for. I wish I had asked about changing in to another room, if available, because I do think that they would have allowed us to change. The staff is incredibly accommodating!

The views from the pool, restaurants, and cliffs are beautiful. You can't get enough of them. Food is great as well! Had a full stomach the entire trip. The staff though is truly what makes this place. They are so kind and gracious. They really are what makes this place not good, but great. As for tipping, we tried to do it at most meals and then when anyone went out of their way for us. We never felt like we were pressured to tip you just want to because the staff is so wonderful!

If you're heading to The Caves be sure to read the guestbook in your room. We didn't until the morning we left and missed out on some helpful info and advice. Also be sure to book some of the private dining areas (Caves dinner, red table, etc...) Head out kayaking or snorkeling with Paul, it's a good activity to break up all of the laying around you will do. We never left the resort because we had everything we wanted right there! Ask about the sky lanterns (read about that in the guestbook), sounds like it would have been very cool!

If you're planning on visiting the Caves. realize that this is not a One and Only property or the Four Seasons. It's totally unique and not even comparable to that type of resort. While you won't have 1000 count sheets and amazing business services, this property will make up with it's exceptional service and one of a kind experience! I would highly recommend this to the laid back traveler that enjoys a one of a kind resort. Enjoy!!!

5  Thank agpb26
Reviewed July 4, 2008

We explored the west end prior to staying at The Caves (it was booked solid the first go-around), and really loved the area. When we booked our second trip to Negril, we were lucky enough to get into The Caves.

We recently returned from our third trip to The Caves, and can honestly say, this is our favorite vacation destination. In fact, we booked our 4th trip to The Caves (about 6 months from the date of our 3rd trip) prior to leaving!

Countless others on Tripadvisor have mentioned the beauty of the property, and we agree, the property is breathtakingly beautiful. But, it's more than the beauty of the property that keeps us coming back - it's the personnel. Our first trip to The Caves, we were blown away by the attention to detail and the friendliness of the staff. From Fiona, Laurenette, Sharonette and Brian at breakfast and lunch, to Paul for snorkel tours and diving during the day, to Alex and Delmar at dinner and The Sands, this team of people work overtime to make your stay enjoyable. Be sure not to miss Omar's jerk chicken at the Sands on Wednesday and Saturdays. The head chef, Joy, has been with The Caves since its opening and consistently provides exceptional local fare, as well as accommodates our personal requests. During lunch, Shabba and the team go out of their way to provide you great food and service, despite your request. We love their callaloo and order it every day!

Upon return for our second trip, we were greeted at the car with a "welcome home' and hugs from the friends we met exactly one year earlier.

We've stayed in several of the rooms, and toured most of the rooms on the property. Each room has its charms and wherever you end up, you are sure to enjoy your stay.

The most important amenity of The Caves is the ability to truly relax and unwind, while enjoying the sun, water, fabulous views with a staff of professionals there to make your vacation exactly what you are looking for and need. This is the place to go to spend quality time with your spouse/partner, and just enjoy your time together.

It is hard to put into words the charm of The Caves, it's really best to go and experience it for yourself! There are many places to experience the beauty of the Caribbean but few that can provide the true feeling of "welcome, relax and enjoy" in the custom manner the Cave's staff can provide with ease.

- Scott & Lori

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Maxandollie
Reviewed June 30, 2008

Just came home from a 5 night stay in the Clandestino Villa across the street from the caves resort - and this was the best trip ever! We were completely spoiled rotten - our own private butler, our own housekeeper, gardeners, security - and we had complete access to the Caves resort via a secret underground tunnel that only our group was allowed to use. Let me tell you - the pictures on the website of this property do not do it justice, this is a 4,000 square foot home completely private and surrounded by lush tropical gardens. Every detail was perfect - the art work, the library, the outdoor garden shower, the furnishings, the lighting at night, and they even had scented oil diffusers in every room. We never used the big flat screen tv but we did blast reggae music on the stereo system every night and swim in our private pool every night until midnight under the stars. They even kept our kitchen stocked with booze, fresh fruit and snacks so we had everything! We stayed with two other couples (my sister in law and her husband and my husbands best friend and guest) and used the three main rooms in the house - and every room was off in it's own wing - so each couple had complete privacy when we wanted it. My room (the red room) had a private sitting area and the shower had a full wall of windows that opened up to the gardens, and the master suite upstairs was just phenominal. They did have a green house on property, and all of the food that we ate was fresh, organic, and crazy good! They even arranged for us to have dinner one night in the cave surrounded by candelight. I went to a yoga class Saturday morning that was fantastic and I would highly recommend getting a full massage from Patrick at the spa - the best massage of my life! We also rode bikes down to Ricks Cafe to watch the sunset and jam out to some live reggae music - so fun! The service, the atmosphere, and the staff at the Caves really made the trip amazing, this is truely a special place, very intimate, romantic, and the staying at the Clandestino Villa made me feel like a total rock star! After we left our five night stay at Clandestino - we went to stay at the Ritz Carlton in Montego Bay for some golfing... and even though the Ritz is a five diamond resort... everyone in our group thought the Ritz didn't even compare to the Caves... and I honestly do not think I could ever go back to staying in a big hotel chain ever again... I have been completely spoiled by the Caves! I can't wait to go back... this is what Jamaica is all about... peace and love!

9  Thank Bridget_Ryan
Reviewed June 14, 2008

Honeymoon trip and Spent 4 days at the Caves following 5 days at Couples Swept Away. I can absolutely asure you that you will NOT be disappointed here. The food from breakfast to lunch to dinner is absolutey perfect. The scenery is stunning and the people who work here make your trip. We stayed in Blue Hole, which is a quite spacious cottage. Your not guaranteed what room your in until you check in, but they all looked cute. This is NOT the Ritz though, so please don't think you'll be sleeping on luxury linens and beds...they are comfortable and very home like in feeling. The waters were rough due to the storm in Mexico, but we still took the kayaks out and snorkeled...you can do this on your own without Paul (the lifeguard/guide/whatever else)...although I would recommend the snorkel trip with Paul if you want to find the "hidden spots within the caves". The fish and marine life is good, but the colors are muted and not like Hawaii or even the keys...it's fun none the less and you don't have to get on a boat and travel out to sea to do it. Just ask the breakfast/lunch people for a snorkel and fins and have at it. I did jump from the highest cliff they have there-which is about 35' (right off the breakfast/lunch area) and survived...I did it without hesitation and thought it was the biggest rush I've ever had. I do recommend that you at least jump from the smaller ones. This is NOT an action packed place though, and really more for the relaxation minded individual. I think 4 days was max for us because of the "lazy" feel, so keep this in mind. There are plenty of games (real board games and such), which suited us just fine. We didn't venture into the town, but felt safe enough where we could have without a problem. We made some friends with other couples here (who were just vacationing), which was a lot of fun...they were repeat customers and knew the "hidden gems" of the Caves. The Cigar bar is one of them, and they are open whenever they feel like it-awesome must try-but they don't advertise, you MUST ask specifically if/when it's open. Do meander down to the Sands Bar, which is included in your all-inclusive package...Gregory and Inron will treat you like Royalty. Try and book the Cave Dining as soon as you arrive-again they only have a few spots and it seems that with all the people coming and going it goes quick. We managed to get in with another couple and eat with them because it was booked up. The "Sunset Hottub" is alright....they really try and make it romantic and will make whatever accomodations (we ordered Sangria) you want...the water jets are half broken, but the setting is gorgeous. My only concern here was how good do they clean it between sessions (2 per evening-we were at the 9:30pm session)...I'm not a germ phobia but with the candles, rose petals, fruit and cheese-we know what goes on...I'd stick to finding a lounge chair on one of the lower cliffs after dinner for any "special action". Both are included in the "all inclusive". Big rave on the people here-from the time you get there until the time you leave everyone treats you so kindly and friendly. They all know your name and really just treat you well. Gratuity is added to your bill already (18%), so these people honestly just treat you well-not just looking for a tip, although we did give a few of our "favorites" something extra because we absolutely had the best time because of them. Do not go here if you are a snob or stuck up-you will get treated as such and we saw this take place-rightfully so though and I'd do the same...if you go with an open mind and not judgemental, you will love it! Drink, eat, and Relax...we will be back.

8  Thank redhead78