All reviewscave dinnerblue holehot tubrum barblue dolphinour honeymoonthe cliffbird's nestsands barisland outpostbutterfly roommoon shadowother guestsbanana pancakesfoot jumpcouples massageprivate dinner
Reviewed June 14, 2008

Honeymoon trip and Spent 4 days at the Caves following 5 days at Couples Swept Away. I can absolutely asure you that you will NOT be disappointed here. The food from breakfast to lunch to dinner is absolutey perfect. The scenery is stunning and the people who work here make your trip. We stayed in Blue Hole, which is a quite spacious cottage. Your not guaranteed what room your in until you check in, but they all looked cute. This is NOT the Ritz though, so please don't think you'll be sleeping on luxury linens and beds...they are comfortable and very home like in feeling. The waters were rough due to the storm in Mexico, but we still took the kayaks out and snorkeled...you can do this on your own without Paul (the lifeguard/guide/whatever else)...although I would recommend the snorkel trip with Paul if you want to find the "hidden spots within the caves". The fish and marine life is good, but the colors are muted and not like Hawaii or even the keys...it's fun none the less and you don't have to get on a boat and travel out to sea to do it. Just ask the breakfast/lunch people for a snorkel and fins and have at it. I did jump from the highest cliff they have there-which is about 35' (right off the breakfast/lunch area) and survived...I did it without hesitation and thought it was the biggest rush I've ever had. I do recommend that you at least jump from the smaller ones. This is NOT an action packed place though, and really more for the relaxation minded individual. I think 4 days was max for us because of the "lazy" feel, so keep this in mind. There are plenty of games (real board games and such), which suited us just fine. We didn't venture into the town, but felt safe enough where we could have without a problem. We made some friends with other couples here (who were just vacationing), which was a lot of fun...they were repeat customers and knew the "hidden gems" of the Caves. The Cigar bar is one of them, and they are open whenever they feel like it-awesome must try-but they don't advertise, you MUST ask specifically if/when it's open. Do meander down to the Sands Bar, which is included in your all-inclusive package...Gregory and Inron will treat you like Royalty. Try and book the Cave Dining as soon as you arrive-again they only have a few spots and it seems that with all the people coming and going it goes quick. We managed to get in with another couple and eat with them because it was booked up. The "Sunset Hottub" is alright....they really try and make it romantic and will make whatever accomodations (we ordered Sangria) you want...the water jets are half broken, but the setting is gorgeous. My only concern here was how good do they clean it between sessions (2 per evening-we were at the 9:30pm session)...I'm not a germ phobia but with the candles, rose petals, fruit and cheese-we know what goes on...I'd stick to finding a lounge chair on one of the lower cliffs after dinner for any "special action". Both are included in the "all inclusive". Big rave on the people here-from the time you get there until the time you leave everyone treats you so kindly and friendly. They all know your name and really just treat you well. Gratuity is added to your bill already (18%), so these people honestly just treat you well-not just looking for a tip, although we did give a few of our "favorites" something extra because we absolutely had the best time because of them. Do not go here if you are a snob or stuck up-you will get treated as such and we saw this take place-rightfully so though and I'd do the same...if you go with an open mind and not judgemental, you will love it! Drink, eat, and Relax...we will be back.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank redhead78
Reviewed June 13, 2008

As everyone else has said The Caves is just amazing. We booked it based on the Tripadvisor reviews, and having always stayed in larger resorts I was a bit tentative regaridng the lack of a beach, size of the hotel, rooms with no AC etc. but everything about our stay was just perfect. We stayed in Butterfly which is one of the rooms without air conditioning but had no trouble at all with being comfortable at night. The view from our room was unbeatable, waking up to the sight of turquoise ocean every morning was surreal.

We kayaked and snorkeled with Paul and enjoyed every minute of it. The staff there is just fantastic, so friendly and accomodating.

The food was excellent every day, I am a picky eater but had no problem with any of the choices offered.

We did do the private hot tub and Cave dining, both very romantic.

We did take the 1 1/2 hour van ride from Montego Bay to the Caves upon arrival but chose to charter a TimAir flight back to the airport - which I highly recommend. Its not that much more expensive but is much faster and you get the aerial view of the island to enjoy along the way.

All in all a fantastic vacation. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank vacationdreamer
Reviewed June 3, 2008

Although our flight was late, and we were stuck in customs for an absurdly long time, our driver Maximillion (sp?) was still waiting for us late into the night. He was friendly and helpful, and pointed out the sights along the way. We were greeted by the night staff, who were all so nice to us, despite it being around 1 a.m.! Our room was gorgeous, with a great view of the ocean (we stayed in Bird's Nest). Although there was no a/c, and it was humid, it was no problem - we were in Jamaica after all! We woke to the sounds of birds singing, and could not have enjoyed our first cup of coffee more. The fruit was incredibly ripe and beautiful and delicious, and I'm still missing it. All the raves others have posted are true, so I won't repeat them. I was very happy to have really fresh, balanced meals, healthful and delicious. The service was completely wonderful - warm, personal, without being obtrusive. In fact, the service is so good at the Caves that although they were apparently filming a movie there, we did not know - we were treated warmly by ALL staff. (In comparison, we also stayed at Tensing Pen, which shut down the only restaurant and only bar for a wedding, which was right next to our room, and the service was lackluster.)

If you are looking for superior, warm, friendly service, a beautiful quiet location, a warm, crystal-clear ocean, fresh, healthful food, and a memorable experience, this is the place for you.

If you are looking to party all night and pack your day full of arranged activities, you'll be much happier at Couples (we also stayed there, and tried to go back to the Caves, which was sold out).

Oh, and don't miss the opportunity to take an outdoor shower. What a great experience!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AFarleyLV
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Honestly, the Caves is one of the most incredible places I have ever experienced. My husband and I traveled to the Caves with some other friends in May and it exceeded our expectations.

As the other reviewers said, the pictures are beautiful but seeing the Caves in person is unreal. What sets the Caves apart from other resorts is the amazing staff and service. The Caves, itself, is a beautiful and relaxing spot, but the staff make it superior.

We stayed in the One Drop, which was air conditioned but did have an outdoor shower, so if privacy matters to you you may want to pick another cottage. Also, it sat near the dining area for breakfast and lunch. We really enjoyed it but you couldn't really see the ocean while lying in bed.

Don't miss the spa treatments with Claire and Patrick- they are unbelievable. Also, have Paul take you kayaking or snorkeling- he is wonderful... Honestly, everyone we came in contact with at the Caves was amazing! The only negative to our stay was that it was incredibly warm,and some of the rooms dont have air conditioning. Also, the ocean wasn't as calm as it usually is, so we couldn't spend as much time in at as we would have liked. But, that didnt stop us from enjoying every moment and relaxing.

I dont like to go back to places because there are so many places I want to see, but my husband and I will definitely be back to enjoy the Caves again...

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank NCTraveler245
Reviewed May 10, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Caves in May of 2008. Ground transfers from Montego Bay Airport to the resort and back were perfect. The trip takes about 1.5 hours. The drivers will stop wherever you want to eat or shop. I arranged the transfers via email to the resort. The cost is $75 per couple per way and is added to your room bill.

When booking our stay, I requested the Sea Turtle bungalow. However, the Caves will not guarentee a specific room, only the type of room (downstairs or upstairs). One Drop and Two Birds are stand alone bungalows and can be guarenteed at booking. The downstairs bungalows and the 2 stand alones have air conditioning which is a wonderful thing in the summer. We had humid weather so it was nice sleeping in a cool room. Also some guests complained of mosquitos but we didn't get one bite mostly because we could close our shutters at night with the a/c.

At check-in, we were told that the Sea Turtle was given to other guests and we got the Blue Dolphin. Our room was very cute with a furnished front porch, king sized bed, stocked mini-bar (vodka, whiskey, rum, beer, pepsi, juices, oreos, crackers, coffee), ceiling fan, CD players with great selections, bath with rain shower and a room safe. The Blue Dolphin is set back from the main path which gives it a wonderful sense of privacy. There is an outdoor shower close by to rinse the sea water off before entering your room. The only down side to our room was that it was not very bright.

Small wonderful touches are everywhere, stain glass in our bathroom walls, hand painted murals, beautiful foliage, private spots for sunning. Besides the scenery, the best thing about the Caves is the staff. The people are just wonderful. They introduce themselves, shake your hand and genuinely seemed interested in talking with you. By Day 2, they all know your name. Paul, the life-guard- cliff-diver- kayak-snorkle-guide is such a sweet guy. He will take you for a kayak trip or snorkle into the caves. We saw large string rays, eels, puffer fish, barcuda, needle fish, just to name a few. Paul does not work on Fridays or Saturdays so be sure to plan your water adventures in advance.

Dinner in a cave can be reserved upon your arrival. It was a unique experience but nothing too incredible. It was fun but definitely not the highlight of the trip. That also goes for the private hot tub (by reservations only). There is a hottub/shower and bench area built into a cave with a window overlooking the sea. There were robes, flowers and champagne for us. We were disappointed that the water was only luke warm.

The food was incredibly fresh. Breakfast begins with a fruit plate of at least 8 different kinds of fruit. Fresh-squeezed juices were always available. Jamiacan Blue Mountain Coffee put Starbucks to shame! If you love dark, rich coffee, you're going to love BMC. There was always a choice of 2 entrees for lunch and for dinner. Both come with lots of veggies. I was looking forward to the desserts but was dissapointed. They do however have a large supply of Haagen-Daz ice cream in a variety of flavors!! If you happen to get the munchies between meals, there are snacks (brownies, banana cake, pringles, nuts) located at the 2 bars in addition to an unlimited supply of drinks.

My husband and I had massages with Patrick (the spa manager) and Claire. They are both wonderful and give can give excellent deep tissue massage when requested.

I was able to get a sneak-peak into 3 other rooms. The Sea Turtle, Butterfly and One Drop. The Sea Turtle and The Butterfly are at the southern end of the property next to the dinner area. The Butterfly is ontop of the SeaTurtle. Both have king sized beds and spacious, bright rooms (larger than Blue Dolphin). Although located on the end of the property, the Sea Turtle in on the main path. So if your shutters are open then anyone walking by can easily see into your room. The Butterfly is probably the ultimate in privacy being an upstairs bungalow. However, it does not have a/c. The Butterfly is beautiful inside with a peaked ceiling and orange walls. One Drop is a bit smaller room with a queen sized bed and outdoor shower. The room is very cute with peaked ceilings and a comfy window seat.

My husband and I were completely thrilled with The Caves. We had very high expectations and they were amazingly exceeded.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple