“Wonderful Getaway!”

Ranked #5 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Athens, Georgia
“Wonderful Getaway!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

What an amazing spot! The resort is beautiful! The caves and cliffs overlooking the ocean were amazing! We loved the thrill of cliff jumping and the snorkeling was nice too. Paul, the lifeguard, was a great snorkeling tour guide and even took us back into the caves on our swim. The food was delicious and we enjoyed our cave dinner- I highly recommend you book one!

Room Tip: We loved staying in the "Two Birds" hut. It was private and quiet. And the AC was nice to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sarah P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have been vacationing in Jamaica off and on since my early 20s. I don't think I've ever not had a nice time. Since the Caves opened I've always been tempted to check it out, but always ended up somewhere else. This trip was no different. I looked at the reviews on the Caves and through one review discovered a new place in Negril called The Spa Retreat. I have written a separate review about our experience there (excellent). Still curious, I filled out an online request on the Caves website for a spa treatment. I didn't get a response, which annoyed me but also made me want to check it out even more. Today I went out for a walk and before long found myself ringing the doorbell at the massive blue gates under the Caves sign. After a call to the front desk by security we were shown in. A friendly woman at the desk made a phone call to an on call therapist and asked us if 12:15 would work. It was only a half hour away so it seemed worth waiting. Soon after we were offered a tropical welcome drink, and before long we were being lead to a cozy blue treatment room by our two massage therapists. The treatments did not disappoint. Lots of pressure, the sound of the waves crashing, and the olfactory stimulation of the Aveda products all worked their magic. After our treatments we asked at the front desk if we could see one of the guest cottages. A lovely young woman gave us a tour of the whole place. It really is spectacular and unique. The only reason I didn't rate this property a 5 is the price. We paid more for our massages than anywhere else in Negril, and room rates start at $800US. If there had been an "ah ha" moment that made me get the price premium, I must have missed it. It was all very lovely, I just wasn't blown away as I expected I would be. For less money, I think you can have just as great a time at The Spa Retreat or The Rock House, but The Caves is worth checking out. When I got back to my hotel I received an apologetic response to my online request, a day late but not bad by Jamaican standards.

Room Tip: The rooms we were shown all looked lovely, but I would pick one with a sea view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Jimmy1Jimmy2Jimmy3
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Caves is truly a remarkable and relaxing holiday spot. It is just far enough away from the crazy beach of Negril but close enough to walk. The all inclusive vibe here is wonderful because you can go with the flow and have your food with the everyone else, room service, service to your chaise lounge (around the cliffs) etc. Its up to you. The villas are lovely, not very Ritzy but quite with the vibe. This is our second trip to the Caves and we will be back.

Room Tip: GO for the upgraded room like Maca Banna..its upstairs and quite a beautiful view..Higher floors do...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Glorianne G
Monkton, MD
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Anyone else ever been to an all-inclusive resort? We've stayed at one in Playa del Carmen that was decent, but we have always been very hesitant because food quality at AIs is typically sub-par, drinks are watered down, etc. We're used to luxury at its finest - Five-Diamond, five-star places with tremendous accolades.

The Caves, however, is not to be compared to other AIs, or any other resort for that matter. Consistently featured as one of the best hotels not only in the Caribbean, but the world - we had to check it out. And we were absolutely blown away.

With only 11 private, secluded guest cottages on the property, Caves is ridiculously peaceful and very romantic. We chose Two Birds and I couldn't have been happier with our room. I love the shabby-chic island style and the outdoor shower, the book and music selection, the minibar constantly stocked with Red Stripe, wine, rum, water, and snacks, and every other small detail that makes this places wonderful. The staff are some of the best. Whatever you want or need, they're happy to help. No staff at the bar/lounge areas? No problem. Just help yourself to any and all of the liquor, mixers, and whatever you find behind the bar. How fun! And if you happen to see Glen, ask him for a mudslide with coconut rum. You won't be disappointed.

The property is breathtaking. We, like others visiting Caves for the first time, were a little concerned about not having a beach. (Hence our first two nights in Jamaica at a beach resort - WOW, Negril is gorgeous.) Believe me, five minutes on the stunning cliffs and you'll forget beaches even exist. Jump into Blue Hole, right down into the cave. Kayak through and around. Snorkel over the reef. Jump the 10, 20, or 30-foot, and stop to chat with Paul before he dives - seriously one of the coolest people I've ever met. Pick a room with an outdoor shower and enjoy the sunlight peeking in through the trees. Relax in the pool after you've gotten your morning exercise. Enjoy your candlelit cave dinner - go for an open cave and marvel at the way the sea crashes right there in front of you. Jump into the outdoor jacuzzi after dessert.

Definitely book some kind of spa treatment at the small Aveda spa. After customizing the menu for our five-course cave dinner (the five-course part was a promotion), the staff realized that we had picked a menu very similar to what the next day's dinner would be. Not wanting us to have two similar meals during our stay, they apologized profusely and sent us to the spa for complimentary sugar scrub massages.

!?!?!??!

Wow. High above the ocean under a thatched roof, listening to the waves... the spa really is a must.

Speaking of dinner, we were served some of the best food I've ever had in my life. Kingfish and red snapper were my favorites. That red snapper was to DIE for. For breakfast, there are a ton of things to choose from - you can have anything from a traditional Jamaican breakfast to pancakes, french toast, bacon, sausage, eggs, roasted potatoes, and on and on. But not before your first course of fresh fruit. :) I cannot compare the morning breeze, looking out over the crystal-clear water, and the sensation of delicious flavors and smells to anything else. Lunch is always 3 courses - salad or soup (best vegetable soup I've EVER HAD!) followed by something crazy good, followed by desert. Same with dinner. They will always offer two choices, but just in case you're really hungry (or you want to sample everything, which I almost always did), you can have them both. :)

The Caves was such an incredible experience that we're thinking of ditching our future plans for Turks and Caicos and Anguilla in favor of more time at Caves. It was, in a nutshell, absolute perfection. And we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Two Birds! Very cozy and romantic.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank thacheshirecat
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2013

3 years ago, we went to The Caves, and have been waiting to go back since. The grounds itself is simply stunning, the staff knew us by name by the afternoon of our second day, the food was incredible. It's romantic, quiet and lovely. The villa's are rustic and each one has its own personality.

We've since travelled to places in Belize and Costa Rica, and although those places present their own unique experiences, none compared to the level of service we received at The Caves.

We're going back January 26th, and are counting down the days to our return to paradise!

Room Tip: Always get the combo at mealtime- you don't want to miss out on ANYTHING the fantastic chefs cre...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed at The Caves for my best friend's 40th birthday and it was one of the most amazing trips I've taken. The staff is fantastic. So attentive and welcoming. They knew our names and likes within the first 24 hours. They go out of their way to make you happy. The food was great. The private dinner in the candlelit cave was the most romantic dinner either of us had ever had (and we're just friends!). I definitely recommend that. And the massages were amazing!! Patrick was fantastic. One of the most incredible massages I've ever had and you listen to the waves the entire time. I think about going back with my husband all the time (someday we will!).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Maya Claire B
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We had an amazing stay..The weekend could not have been better. The staff at the resort is amazing and the food is great!! The candlelit dinner in the cave is a must do and snorkeling with Paul. There are so many amazing staff that it would be hard to single out one or two...YOU GUYS ARE ALL GREAT!!! The uniqueness of the resort is what makes it so good...I will definitely be staying here again...LOVED IT!!!!

Room Tip: Stardust is great!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lazoog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 80 in Negril
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to The Caves? Share your experiences!