“Wow food nice folks crazy surprise price”

Murphy's West End Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 198 Restaurants in Negril
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Small family run local jerk and seafood restaurant, Good Prices, Great Food..Proprietor Lenial Ennis is very pleasant host.
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We arrived to a basic looking, non cliff side, Negril-style, road side restaurant. Not fancy but had character.
Cool greetings and a clean seating area.
Fresh, tasty, authentic food, with style and lots of love. Leniel chatted with us for awhile and our experience was so far so good. That was until we got the bill, $65 for 3 meals. No lobster,NO DRINKS, nothing else. Yikes
Damn tasty though and great conversation but really, more than Ivan's ? The point is they must warn folks to prepare for $$$$ pricing when ordering. This was a meal consumed after Many others this trip - Just Natural (3meals) Da Bar, 3 Dives, Ivan's (2meals) Sips and Bites, Blue Cave, 3 different jerk carts ,Push Cart, Ras Rody's, even Samsara. After eating at all these places Murphy's was still the most expensive.
My two sons and and I discussed the rating we are giving for a fair amount of time over our fantastic meal from Ciao. Those of you stopping to see the #1 Tripadvisor restaurant in Negril bring a wad of cash - and still look at prices.

7  Thank Davidhouston100

Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

We called the day before told him what we would like to eat.told him we were big eaters. He had lobsters the size of are arm. An amazing fish dish. Mashed potatoes with pumpkin salads drinks. We paid almost 100$ and it was worth every penny. It was THE best meal I have ever eaten in the Caribbean
This man knows how to cook he know what he is doing it was AMAZING!!! We will be back again
P.S sry for breaking the hammock!

1  Thank Erin L
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I am upset and feel completely ripped off with my dinner at Murphy's West End Restaurant in Negril, Jamaica.

Prior to leaving for vacation, I researched hotels and restaurants in Negril, Jamaica here on TripAdvisor. This was a much needed vacation after over a year of saving. Admittedly, as with most people these days, we were on a very tight budget. When I saw Murphy's West End Restaurant as having the number one rating here on TripAdvisor, I looked over the reviews and went to the website that is posted with this listing. The website goes to Murphy's West End Restaurant Facebook page where there are more great reviews and pictures of his menu with pricing. There are also links to this menu on the Jam4Jam website. We were so excited to see fish meals for $5 and other delicious looking dishes that were very reasonable. The most expensive dish is lobster at $21.25 US, which makes sense because lobster would be spendy here, too.

We had to take a taxi, as this restaurant is past the Lighthouse in West End cliff area. Not on the "strip" and not well frequented.

We arrived to a small shack with 3 tables and one bar top table out front. It looked quaint and colourful. Leniel and Tony were really nice and friendly. Their dogs visiting our table throughout the meal was cute, at first. There was not a menu handed to either of us, just some dishes rhymed off, so knowing what I had seen here (reviews from earlier this year) and the prices, we had the fish. It was well prepared with a side of sweet potato mash (kind of mashed squash like) with some calalloo. Had what happened next, not happened, I dare say I would have given the meal 5 stars.

After our meal, we were handed a bill of $40 US (we did not have beverages, just two fish meals). I stood there incredulously. Not wanting to make a scene and not entirely sure I did not make a mistake in picking this restaurant, we paid for our meals and left a tip. I felt gutted. This is more than a meal per plate than we would typically order at home, save for special occasions out. Most embarassingly, we did not have enough money to pay for our cab home and had to run into our hotel upon our return to get the fare for the cab driver. Luckily, the driver was really understanding.

So now, I come back to TripAdvisor to re-check and see if I had made a mistake in remembering what the pricing would be to dine at Murhpy's. Sadly, I had not. I am disgusted and feel really taken advantage of. We were specifically asked to take pictures of our meal and to post a review on TripAdvisor a few times throughout our meal. Here is my review. To Leniel and Tony, dishonesty and shady practices will not bring repeat customers no matter how good your food tastes.

10  Thank Bayleys
Craig B, Public Relations Manager at Murphy's West End Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Hello Bayleys,

We at Murphy's West End Restaurant regret to hear of your poor experience at our establishment. We encourage you to make aware situations like this to the staff at any restaurant if something like this should occur. We are currently having to reprice many items due to overall increase in overhead(inflation). We have since deleted the menu pics and prices on Facebook until new ones are finished. We apologize for any discrepancy in prices.

Bayleys, if you would care to send a mailing address to us via private message, we will send you a voucher for a free experience at Murphy's in the future. We will not contact you for any other matter.

Thanks for your review and Bless.

Murphy's West End Restaurant

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Herbs and spice from their own garden. Truly fresh caught fish steamed in banana leaf. This small unassuming place has the most authentic and flavorful food on the island. I have been going there since 2008 and it just gets better. I brought my 70 year old Uncle from Ontario dairy country who after the meal claimed without hesitation that this was the best fish he had ever eaten.

1  Thank LenKelly
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Just ate our first of many meals at Murphy's west end. We have been going to Negril for years and this was the first time we ate there and I can say it was by far one of the best meals we have eaten there!!! Such great flavor on everything and so much food you can't eat it all! Big ups to chef and had fun waiting in hammocks while we waited for our food! Highly recommended this place it's local and very intimate, good vibes and amazing food!