“Dinner with friends”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I love this charming place. Just to eat, talk to Trevor about cooking his amazing jerk, drink some Dragon Stout, and hang out with Eddy and lovely Pam. We didn't want to leave. They were so warm, welcoming and genuine you can't help but fall in love. Then the food! Wonderfully spiced jerked and grilled chicken with just the best crispy char, and hands down the best callaloo I had in Jamaica. Second time we got the lobster and butter... OK and we got the jerk chicken too. It's addicting!! Remember to call ahead for lobster. I used Skype from my room at Catcha. The first night we went we noticed another couple that left their leftovers for one of the hungry locals. Contrary to what another reviewer said about being annoyed, I really don't mind the locals. There are a lot of homeless in Austin and Dallas where I'm from. Hungry people will go where the food is. This is some good food! I say they are some smart people. I had an opportunity to see Trevor's kitchen. The magic he can do with just very basic of supplies, and a dirt floor kitchen is downright humbling. The spices and flavors he laid down on that chicken were so balanced. Spicy, sour, sweet, salty, smoky, chicken - deliciously authentic, best jerk chicken in Negril, probably in all of Jamaica. Also, if someone approached with offers for sale, they were cool with us not being interested. This was how it was everywhere, not just De Bar. Some people go to Jamaica for that, it's not a big deal. So stop reading, you've found it, what are you waiting for? You will be thanking me later. If you are nearby? Go now. Tell Trevor that KK says hi.

1  Thank JuicyGrrl

Reviewed August 11, 2014

Excellent food and nice clean environment! The owner and staff was very accommodating, making sure everyone was ok. There was nice music playing and a beautiful teepee like top over the bar that was lite up with decorative lights!!I look forward going back again when I go back!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I kept hearing about this place on trip advisor and had to stop in and try it. We stayed at a hotel 5 mins away and drove over. We were the only ones here at the time but we didn't mind as the setting is peaceful and spacious. The jerk chicken is very good but I am not sure if it's the best in Negril. The next time we are in Negril I will definately stop by again.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

While staying in Negril at Catcha Falling Star we walked down to try the jerk chicken at this location. We got the jerk chicken and it was amazing. The owner is very friendly too. The only thing I didn't like was there we're local people hanging out trying to sell you stuff. It was kind of annoying.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I just booked my 2015 trip and so I have to start reading the forum and checking out my fav spots even though I have to wait 8 months. anyway I just realized I never posted a review for deBar... shame on me cause it was the highlight of our trip. Well let me say I have been going to negril since 1975... DeBar is by far the closest thing to negril past... laid back, friendly and amazing food. you enter as a customer and leave as a friend! thanks Eddie and joe... can't wait to return .. see you February 2015... counting the days

2  Thank marleycat25