“SPA Treat before the Wedding” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel

The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Montreal
“SPA Treat before the Wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

My sister was getting married on Valentine's day and we decided to treat ourselves to a little pampering the day before. Six of us gals booked appointments prior to arriving in Negril. We got our local driver Henry from Seastar to drop us off at 11:00 AM.
We were blown away by the beauty of this resort - the grounds were impeccable and the view was breathtaking you could imagine yourself in several places at once - French Riviera - Greece - Italy - who would guess in Negril.
We were given a tour of the resort and brought to our locations for the outdoor treatments.
The staff working here are amazing. One gal had the massage, 3 had manicures and 2 had the reflexology treatments. We were able to use the swimming pool area and enjoy a couple of drinks by the pool, with Tyrone doing a splendid job of spoiling us.
We had also decided to have lunch while there at the Blue Mahoe. The red stripe lights were nice and cold and the food was excellent along with the service.
It was hard for us to end our day at the Spa Retreat but our bachelorette party had arrange for the One Love Bus to pick us up at the Spa retreat to go on the Pub Crawl.
Looking forward to my next visit to the Spa Retreat to indulge myself for a day!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Cobblett
jamiekeeley, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for making The SPA Retreat your choice for pre-wedding services, we are thrilled to learn that your group enjoyed their day of spa pampering! Please extend congratulations to your sister on behalf of the entire SPA Family. We look forward to having you as our guests upon your return to Negril, Jamaica!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Arabic first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I spent a wonderful week at the Spa Retreat for a much needed getaway. This is a small, boutique hotel which is great now and will be even more special in years to come. The setting is incredible (see associated picture), sitting on the cliffs overlooking a gorgeous stretch of ocean. Others have commented that the place is quiet, which is true; if you want action, go elsewhere on 7 mile beach. We largely sat in the sun, splashed in the pool, took dips in the ocean, and read the books we brought along in perfect peace, waiting comfortably for Kemp and the other bartenders to bring us our next drink.

The staff is incredible and made us feel like honored family guests at a sumptuous family beach home. Shane, Sabrina, and Jamie were excellent hosts. Heather responded to all of our requests promptly and with a smile. The bartenders were warm and taught us some great new drinks. I already miss "Rosa," the sweet and very well behaved house dog. Even the cab/taxi service was prompt and courteous. They all seemed anxious to serve, none of the slow and sullen attitude you can get from natives elsewhere.

We had excellent omelets for breakfast and found the rest of the food excellent. Service was accommodating and prompt. We tried a number of other recommended restaurants and found that Blue Mahoe was better than most and measured up well against even the most highly recommended restaurants.

Note that there is no beach because of the cliffs, but they have created a sand-covered terrace around the pool, which gave me the feeling of sand between my toes. The cliffs do make for excellent snorkeling within just a few feet of the pool.

The criticism of the rooms is accurate and probably fair. The hotel is a family operation and has only been open for one year. Shane says that they have plans to upgrade some of the amenities in the rooms shortly, and that will be a welcome improvement. But, do you really go to Jamaica for the furniture in the room?

We will be back and look forward to seeing how they make the retreat even better..

2 Thank Studaddy7
jamiekeeley, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you! We appreciate your review of The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! The entire SPA Family had a wonderful time getting to know you and your wife during your recent trip to Negril! We look forward to wowing you again with excellent customer service and presenting upgrades to our room amenities upon your return. One love.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

The property is beautiful & service impeccable. Staff is young, but very well trained and very friendly and responsive. The food at the Blue Mahoe Restaurant was some of the BEST we had--the Shrimp Curry was spicy and delicious and the Jamaican Platter was indeed fine. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast every morning, but augmented with a lovely omelet. In the beginning it was a bit quiet, frankly that is what we came for---no tv etc. Our busy lives needed a break but the free Wi-Fi was a plus so we could check in when anxiety struck. Besides, there are loads of "noisy" options in Negril to visit. We like the idea of board games and sofas to lounge in the evening. We stayed in a Seaside Cottage, which was immaculately clean--a bit short on clothing storage. They all have ac and are naturally well ventilated on all sides. These are located right next to the stone/sand deck and sea water pool--within earshot of the rolling surf. The decking is designed so that when a hurricane comes the water washes up to the restaurant walls and recedes. The Spa isnt a beachy-type resort--there are only rocks-but when calm enough they put down a ladder and you can borrow snorkeling gear--many pretty fish. The grounds are well cared for with beautiful foliage--some recently damaged by Hurricane Sandy. Shane is one of the resident owners--He's a mellow Canadian--very friendly and eager to please. Miss Heather is the Manager--and she knows all and knows everybody in Negril--she can get you hooked up with whatever you need or want--In our case--Tickets to the Bob Marley B-day bash and various dinner reservations. The Spa has a great driver Audley, he too knows all and calls them as he see them--where to go and not. Dont be afraid to ask. Barmen Kemp and Dwayne took very good care of us-- leave your cocktail choices in their hands, they are very creative. Rockie, is the "universal handyman" go to guy--for local lore, advice and a chat. He' a really nice guy. Now a few supporting cast members---A word about Rosa, she is a 75 lb "marshmallow"--aka German Sheppard. She is the owner's pet and a guard dog. She loves to swim in the pool or the ocean with guest. Her game is to get you to jump into either and she loves to jump on top of you! If you dont like dogs, that's cool just tell Miss Heather---and she will make sure that Rosa doesnt roam too far. Another supporting cast member that visits occassionally is Peter the Rasta Foot Doctor--He will give you a Reflexology Foot Massage that you wont soon forget, really. P.S. The cold Red Stripes and Waters in the refrig are a real nice touch!

Room Tip: Seasides are further from the road--and catch the sea breezes
4 Thank SavvyElderSister
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We are honored that you consider Blue Mahoe Restaurant to have the "BEST" food and happy you also enjoyed the daily spread of fresh fruit, muffins, cereals, orange juice and hot Blue Mountain coffee included in our continental breakfast! One love.
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

This is my second time staying at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel and it was everything I expected and more. I absolutely love coming down to The Spa and I really have no desire to stay at any other resorts or destinations because it is just that amazing! I came down mi December to escape the cold with my roommate for a girls trip. Upon arrival I was greeted by a friendly and familiar face, Audley our wonderful drivers who brings us to and from the hotel. The drive to the hotel from the airport provides a beautiful and scenic tour o Jamaica as we go through towns and along the coast, offering many great photo opportunities.
As soon as we arrive to the resort we are greeted by the amazing staff at the front desk and they make it very easy to get settled in. Even though I have been to The Spa before, I continue to be amazed at how beautiful the property is. Paradise would be the best way to describe it. From the handcrafted stone walkways, the garden, rooftop and seaside rooms and the beautiful Blue Mahoe restaurant and patio to the Spa pavilion, oceanside beach and cliffs, everything is carefully designed to create a beautiful and peaceful environment.
The first thing we do upon arrival is take a seat at the restaurant to have lunch and enjoy the view of the ocean as well as the 7 mile beach off in the distance. The food offered at the Blue Mahoe is exceptional. With a menu that caters to all tastes, there is something for everyone along with a special menu of Jamaican dishes that are to die for. It was hard to choose something to eat for each meal because I really wanted everything! The lobster salad sandwich is a must try for lunch time and the omelets at breakfast are the best I’ve ever had. The meals at dinner are truly amazing and I would recommend to anyone to try each dish at least once because you don’t know what you’re missing out on! After lunch, theres nothing better to do than relax on the beach or go for a dip in the salt water pool. The view from the beach area is incredible with the sun shining, the bright blue sky and the ocean right ahead. The weather was perfect the entire tie we were down there, no rain just sunshine and a warm breeze.
Sitting outside on the patio of my seaside room has to be one of my most favorite places in the world. During the day it’s a perfect spot to soak up the sun and at night it offers an amazing view of the sunset.
During my stay I took part in a yoga class offered at The Spa on the pavilion. We chose to do an evening class while the sun was setting. The sound of the waves as well as the lighting made for a peaceful experience, the perfect setting to do yoga in. I also treated myself to a reflexology massage from Peter, the reflexologist. I would highly recommend to anyone to have this treatment done, it is absolutely amazing and brings you to the height of relaxation. There are so many things to do not only on the resort but within Negril as well. The 7 mile beach is a must see attraction with Margaritaville, ski-dooing, parasailing and the beautiful, literally 7 mile long beach, surrounded by a crystal blue ocean. At night we went to Reggae concerts o the beach at Alfred’s (great on Fridays) and Roots Bamboo ( Wednesday nights). The music is amazing and really give you an experience of true Jamaican culture. We also went to one of the top local bars called “The Jungle” a few nights. Its a great place if you want to let loose and dance, with a great crowd an awesome local DJs performing. There is always one of the wonderful drivers from The Spa available to accompany guests anywhere they want to go so you always feel comfortable exploring the area.
I spent a week at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel and 7 days is definitely not long enough! There is really not better place to spend a vacation down south than there. Even writing about it is making me want to book another trip as soon as possible. I have to extend a huge thank you to the owners, Christine and Shane Cohen for creating such a wonderful place to vacation, every aspect of the resort is exceptional and exceeds the 5 star rating it has. I can’t wait until the next time I visit The Spa, its like a home away from home!

Room Tip: The seaside rooms have the most amazing views and are uniquely designed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Erica S
jamiekeeley, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for another stunning review of your stay at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! It is a great pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome our return guests "home" again. We are thrilled that the experience was nothing short of your last visit and luck forward to having you as our guests again during your next girl's getaway to Negril. One love.
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

1992 was the last time I had travelled. So when my boyfriend had said we were going to go away for holidays, I was reluctant! 4 hours on an airplane was not my idea of fun. With much resistance, I said yes! The Spa Retreat in Negril Jamaica was worth every bit of sleep I had lost (Totally afraid to fly) the two nights before leaving. When arriving, we were greeted warmly by the owners (canadian). The landscape is beautiful, and the grounds were impeccably clean. Rosa, (The silent partner ) also gave us a warm greeting. We were given a tour of the resort, and much to my surprise it was much more beautiful in person. My idea of a vacation is "Relaxing". This resort is able to tend to your needs on a personal level, as they are not over whelmed by the hundreds of vacationers that go to the bigger resorts. If I could have fit the bed that was in our room in my suitcase, I would have! If I, could have taken the cooks home with me, I would have done that as well. The food was "Fantastic! My fav, was the Tomato and goat cheese bruschetta. WOW! Fried chicken, Tomato and Mozzarella, Creme Brule, we tried almost everything on the menu. No complaints. Couldn't have asked for better service, Thx ladies. You all "Rock" Breakfast by the ocean every morning was one of my favorite things to do! They will offer you a cell phone to use while you are staying there, but if your smart, you will not! Not hearing a phone ring was another one of my fav's. lol. I will be back next year, but I will stay for 2 weeks. Thx to all of you at "The Spa Retreat Negril, Jamaica" your smiles and warmth are truly what made my vacation one I will never forget! ;o)

Room Tip: Choose the ones looking out to the ocean.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TT C
Thank you for your review, we are quite honoured to have been chosen as your first destination since travelling in 1992! We do hope that the experience was everything you had imagined it to be and will look forward to your speedy return to our piece of cliff side paradise! One love.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just spent three nights at The Spa Retreat.
The pros: service was impeccable. Everyone was very friendly. Food was very good ( for Jamaica). Honesty was across the board.
The cons: too quiet, there was only two, perhaps three other rooms occupied. The place seemed deserted. They should install additional steps from the pathways to the pool area. The step down/up must be at least 15 inches, too far of a jump down or hoist up. What would someone with disabilities do? Many places to trip due to ledges all over the place. Even our shower had a ledge going down, which could be dangerous. The rooms have nowhere to store clothing or suitcases. No drawers, closet, or even a luggage rack. I was forced to live out of my suitcase. Very barren, with absolutely no color. The finishes in the room were poor, or nonexistance. MUCH room for improvement. Staff was outstanding. I did worry about the dog having free reign over the entire property. She was in the dining area and anytime you go in the pool she jumps in behind you. Not a safe or sanitary at all.
Their prices are way too high for the accommodations which I felt were subpar. Frankly, i could not tell I was in the tropics. No color anywhere. I was disappointed after reading all the rave reviews. Don't know why it has been rated so high.

Room Tip: Rooms were all mediocre at best.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Khofstetter
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to learn that you experienced a superior level of service during your stay at The SPA Retreat and enjoyed the fusion of Jamaican and international cuisine from our Blue Mahoe Restaurant.

We appreciate your constructive feedback. As a new business on the island of Jamaica we are always seeking ways in which we can continually improve to better our guest's experiences.

Although our private handcrafted stone cottages do offer shelf space as well as a hanging closet, based on your recommendation, we have take immediate action to improve the room amenities and provide a luggage rack. In addition, the loveable Rosa has been migrated away from the restaurant and pool areas, keeping her swimming with guests strictly to the ocean!

Our location on the stunning cliffs of Negril is a boutique hotel that accommodates 47 clients at maximum occupancy, thus, many times couples will feel as though they have the entire place to themselves. We envision self reflection, peace and privacy for guests ofThe SPA Retreat and aimed to create this sort of intimate experience from the moment the property was designed. Of course, we can understand disappointment you may have felt had you been seeking a large, activity-packed all-inclusive property. However, for those guests searching for a calm and tranquil destination we can guarantee you will not want to leave from the moment you arrive!

We truly do appreciate your review and hope to have you return as our guest again one day! One love.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I can’t say enough about this place. The rooms, restaurant and spa are now finished and fully operational. I am amazed at the attention to detail and the amount of care that went into building this brand new boutique hotel. The owner Shane was kind enough to give me a tour of the entire property providing me with insight into the though and building process behind this gem. The stone and wood work are exceptional and staying at the SPA Retreat makes you feel that you are experiencing something special.

Our room was very well done. We had a king size bed with some nice wood furniture. The balcony was great. Very large and provided a great view of the ocean and of course the sun set.

During our stay we ate at the Blue Mahoe quite a bit. I tried to taste everything that was on the menu. The selection is great and provides an excellent variety of dishes that accommodate all tastes. They have delicious pasta dishes, seafood, traditional Jamaican dishes and some house specials. My wife and I couldn’t get enough of the coconut shrimp, and I thoroughly enjoyed the stuffed chicken breast, the scotch bonnet chicken and jerk chicken pasta. The lunch wraps were very tasty and very satisfying. The breakfasts were also great. The kitchen staff were excellent and the meals were consistently delicious and very tasty.

During our stay we also took advantage of some of the services offered at the spa. We tried our hand at yoga one morning with Grace. She tailored the class to our level of knowledge (which for me is not high) but it was both challenging and enjoyable. Doing it in an open air spa looking out over the ocean made the experience that much more memorable.

My wife and I also had some reflexology done during our visit. We actually each had it 3 times while we were there…it was that great! If you have a chance, I would highly recommend this treatment. If you can, ask for Peter, he’s known as the foot doctor. The first time I had the reflexology, he immediately knew my neck was sore after taking my right foot. He spent a good amount of time on my big toe (as this part of the foot connected to the neck) and I have to say that the following day, my neck wasn’t sore anymore. I became an instant believer. If you do get Peter, ask him about the Moringa tree (and I recommend you try the moringa shake at the bar) and ask him about his bio-diesel project. Very interesting and engaging person.

We also took a boat tour up to Rick's café from the SPA Retreat. Heather (the office manager) arranged for a glass bottom boat to pick us up. We took a leisurely stroll up the coast taking in the other properties along the way. There is definitely a difference in quality between the SPA Retreat and some of the other places along the way. Rick’s was alright, but quite hectic. It’s always good to see the divers jump. Vincent, out boat captain, was hilarious. We had some good laughs going and coming back. We stopped along the way into some of the caves along the cliffs and went for a swim.

All in all it was very pleasant experience staying, eating and relaxing at the SPA Retreat. If you don’t want to, you do not need to leave the property, you can just relax and be taken care of. If you want a bit of adventure, it’s close enough to walk to 7 mile or head in the other to the lighthouse. The staff were very accommodating, always available, very friendly and made our stay that much more enjoyable. If you are looking for a place to go, I’d recommend the SPA Retreat in less than a heart beat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shane W
Thank you for your review of The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We are especially thrilled to learn that you embraced our total wellness experience by sampling yoga with Grace and reflexology with Peter! We must agree the vibes will instantly put you in a place of relaxation and serenity. Until next time, one love.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
#4 of 84 in Negril
Catcha Falling Star
Catcha Falling Star
#6 of 84 in Negril

Been to The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!