My wife and I spent a wonderful week at the Spa Retreat for a much needed getaway. This is a small, boutique hotel which is great now and will be even more special in years to come. The setting is incredible (see associated picture), sitting on the cliffs overlooking a gorgeous stretch of ocean. Others have commented that the place is quiet, which is true; if you want action, go elsewhere on 7 mile beach. We largely sat in the sun, splashed in the pool, took dips in the ocean, and read the books we brought along in perfect peace, waiting comfortably for Kemp and the other bartenders to bring us our next drink.
The staff is incredible and made us feel like honored family guests at a sumptuous family beach home. Shane, Sabrina, and Jamie were excellent hosts. Heather responded to all of our requests promptly and with a smile. The bartenders were warm and taught us some great new drinks. I already miss "Rosa," the sweet and very well behaved house dog. Even the cab/taxi service was prompt and courteous. They all seemed anxious to serve, none of the slow and sullen attitude you can get from natives elsewhere.
We had excellent omelets for breakfast and found the rest of the food excellent. Service was accommodating and prompt. We tried a number of other recommended restaurants and found that Blue Mahoe was better than most and measured up well against even the most highly recommended restaurants.
Note that there is no beach because of the cliffs, but they have created a sand-covered terrace around the pool, which gave me the feeling of sand between my toes. The cliffs do make for excellent snorkeling within just a few feet of the pool.
The criticism of the rooms is accurate and probably fair. The hotel is a family operation and has only been open for one year. Shane says that they have plans to upgrade some of the amenities in the rooms shortly, and that will be a welcome improvement. But, do you really go to Jamaica for the furniture in the room?
We will be back and look forward to seeing how they make the retreat even better..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A true luxury escape located on the West End Cliffs of Negril, Jamaica and located on nearly 2 acres of oceanfront; this unique property extends from white sandy beach into exotic grey cliffs overlooking the vibrant turquoise hues of the Caribbean Sea. 18 Handcrafted stone cottages with spectacular tropical gardens and cliff side dining at the Blue Mahoe Restaurant will enhance your SPA escape. The SPA Retreat features an open-air day spa offering classic aesthetic treatments with a Jamaican flair. The adults only, SPA Retreat features a sea water pool, sandy beach deck, A/C, free Wi-Fi, in-room safe, yoga and specialty tours to enhance your experience. The devotion to quality and service familiar to The SPA’s Canadian locations continues to surpass guest expectations from the moment your flight touches down. We look forward to having you as our guest! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Spa Retreat Hotel Negril
- Heart Beat Seaside Retreat Negril