“Shhhhhhh......”

Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Shhhhhhh......”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 short days. It is by far one the best small hotels I have been to in my travels. The service is first class and genuinely friendly, the grounds are amazing and the view is astonishing. The relaxation begins the moment you walk in the door and are greeted by the cheery and professional Jonnel who is a fabulous go to that obviously loves and excels at her position. You are given a short massage, some delicious punch and a cooled cloth. The entire experience starts on the right foot and never falters. The bar staff is great, especially Dwayne who seems to be around the most. The spa provides amazing services. I had the best pedicure of my life at sunset over looking the ocean - all spa services are completed outside under a tented structure on a cliff over looking the water. In addition I had a wonderful massage and body scrub.

The food, oh the food! The chef is world class, a true culinary talent. The lobster pot is phenomenal and the jerk sauce is perfect. We sit writing this as we devour our last round of akee and salt fish, sipping on a (better than Ricks Cafe) Planter's Punch. If we had this place available in DC, where we live, we would be fighting for a table every Friday. Camiel, one of the waitresses we saw most is very attentive and sweet. She is totally flexible as are all of the staff. Something you just never see at the bigger chains. Speaking of which, I hesitate a great deal to write this review, out of complete selfishness, because I hate to see the now reasonable prices sky rocket and see the inevitable influx of annoying tourists make it difficult to return. But the dedicated staff and amazing and inspiring owners deserve the shout out. The owners are Canadian, as am I, and what can I say, we are a nice people :) but please, shhhhhh!

I should also finally mention that this my first trip advisor review. Though we use the service all the time to travel, I've never felt the desire to I've thanks or to think my review mattered much. Having found this place on trip advisor only, I know that management cares and pays attention to every detail. Particularly guests' opinions and so please do enjoy yourselves there!

Room Tip: Seaside is amazing.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Jayne B
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are honored to have captured your first ever TripAdvisor response! We are thrilled to learn of your enjoyable experience with our boutique hotel & Blue Mahoe Restaurant. Our team will continue to raise the bar of excellence, considering every detail as you mention. We look forward to your next visit, soon come!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Arabic first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I'm writing this review from the deck of the Spa Retreat, staring out across the blue waters of the Caribbean. I just checked out and wanted to have one last breakfast here before I head to Ocho Rios. Jamaican music is softly playing in the background. The breeze is slight but cooling. And I have enjoyed the stay of a lifetime.

First the bad: you eventually have to check out. You ultimately have to leave and go home. That is really the only downside.

Now the good: everything else. We were here over New Years, the most crowded time. We had no problem finding loungers at any time during the day. The property is very beautiful and maintained. The rooms are spectacular. The view is gorgeous. The sunsets are remarkable. I could go on but am running out of adjectives.

The staff is top notch. When you arrive, they tell you "Welcome Home". But unlike other places, you really feel they mean it. Every staff member we ran into was willing to do whatever was necessary to make our stay more enjoyable and memorable. I even saw a staff member run into town to buy some medicine for a cranky, hung over guest.

We had a car and often went out into the city and surrounding areas. Yet we always came back to the resort for meals (and we weren't on the meal plan). The food was the best around. And not at all expensive. Do yourself a favor and have the Ackee and Saltfish for breakfast. You can thank me later.

Did I mention the view. There are many pictures on trip advisor of this place and they're all accurate -- except that you don't get the true feel until you arrive,

If you like large crowds, waiting in line for things, and yelling children, I suggest you go on a cruise. If not, you cannot beat this place.

Room Tip: I'd rather not tell you what rooms are the best so I can save them for my return visit! Sorry...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Teddy B
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! It is always a great joy of ours to learn when our guests feel truly "at home" during their stay. We must agree the Ackee & Salt-fish is a superb choice for breakfast and second your recommendation to those who have yet to try the national dish of Jamaica! Until next time, one love.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I recently stayed at The SPA Retreat Jamaica and have added it to my 'got to do again' list. I spent a week in November of this year at this lovely Canadian owned resort where I felt not only pampered by the SPA staff but by the whole experience. From my spotless seaside cottage overlooking the ocean to the excellent cuisine,hospitable staff and hands-on owners it was quite the treat. I especially valued the small relaxing atmosphere and the friendliness of the staff. Where have you been where the housekeeper knows you by name and checks in to see that everything is to your liking! Thank you Christine and Shane for your creativity and atttention to detail and to all the staff for making me feel so at home. I look forward to catching up with you again.Cheers! Holly

Room Tip: I would definitely go for a seaside cottage. Cottage 7 is my choice!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Holly M
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review. The owners and entire team of staff are thrilled that we were able to make you feel as if you were "Queen for the Week"! We look forward to your speedy return where you will no doubt experience the royal treatment once again. One love.
Fulton, Maryland
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We spent 6 days of just relaxing here. The grounds are meticulously clean. We stayed at a seaside cottage and did the all inclusive plan. The food was very good. I had a snapper that was perfection. I had the same basic meal at a 5 star restaurant and it was no were near as good the meal I had here. My husband had a jerk pork that was a little over cooked the second time he ordered it and I didn't like the linguine but that was one meal each in 6 days so that gives this chef top billing. Our plan was to just relax, so massages were a must. The masseurs are very well trained. I had 3 different girls and they gave the relaxation massage pretty much the same way. I was very happy with the consistent high quality. Just be aware that the spa is outdoors. The staff is also very friendly. Our housekeeper was a delight. We were there in the low season so there were very few guest but that was just great as having to make small talk is not my idea of relaxing. What to be aware of - no tv unless you ask, there can be some noise from surrounding facilities as night, minimal furniture for clothing, hair dryer and iron are available if you ask for them. I notice noise a couple of nights but it was not to the point of being annoying. Queen size bed in the cottages are nice and cozy but if you need more room then you may not want to stay in the seaside cottage. I would not exchange the view and sunsets from the cottages for a bigger bed. We would like to thank the chef and his crew for being careful with my husband's meals. He is very allergic to fish and seafood and we had no problems with cross contamination. Thank you. We have had to rush to the emergency room before so cross contamination is a constant concern but after a couple of days I stopped worrying about it because they seem to take his allergy as seriously as we did.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Robin L
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you for your review of The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We are thrilled that you enjoyed our relaxing seaside massages paired with the Blue Mahoe dining experience and appreciate your feedback. Our team considers the health and safety of our guests to be a top priority thus, we are pleased to note that you were able to relax once assured that your husband was well taken care of! We look forward to welcoming you back for many more sunsets, one love.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We just spent a glorious week in Jamaica at The Spa Retreat Resort in Negril. Arriving at this newly constructed resort, with traditional cut stone walls, we knew we had landed at a small piece of paradise. We have travelled every winter over the last 12 years and would have to say this was THE BEST RESORT FOR A RELAXING HOLIDAY. The level of service from staff at The Spa Retreat Resort was incredible from friendly greetings to observant staff providing every need. The restaurant food was fabulous (lobster tail, seafood pasta, Jerk Chicken Wrap, fresh salads and fruit). We didn’t even want to venture away from the peace and comfort of the resort. We snorkeled in the coral reef directly off the property’s frontage – no need to take a catamaran tour! Seaside massages topped off the visit! There’s no doubt we will plan to return to this gem in Negril. If you are looking for a truly relaxing and rejuvenating experience, this is the place - Canadian owned and operated. We loved meeting Shane and all of the staff and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone planning on heading south to the Caribbean. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE AT SPA RETREAT NEGRIL FOR THIS AMAZING WEEK!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank The3blancos
Thank you for your review. We are honored for you to have considered The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel the "best resort for a relaxing holiday"! We must agree our SPA therapists are superb. So glad you enjoyed the majority of your meals with us and as always thank you for your valued feedback. Until next time, one love.
alberta
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This review is going to be difficult to write because I want to keep this place all to myself! Also, I don't really know where to start. I will begin with the people who work here because they really make the resort what it is. Everyone is very warm, welcoming and helpful. It feels like home when you are there and when you leave you just want to go back. From the moment Jackson welcomed me to the moment I had to leave it truly felt like I was "home".
The highlight of my "almost" three weeks stay was to attend a week-long yoga retreat. The most wonderful part of it was meeting all the amazing participants. The instructor was awesome and renewed my interest in yoga. I will never forget the experience and hope to see all of them again next year!
The retreat is away from the busyness of the megaresorts on the 7 mile beach but close enough to go there any time you choose. I did a lot of walking and felt very safe. You just have to be careful of the traffic as the roads are very narrow. The beautiful setting on the cliffs overlooking the ocean is so peaceful and relaxing it is hard to leave the resort. Watching the sunsets was a daily ritual while sipping on a cold Red Stripe or a delicious mojito prepared by Dwayne or Tyrone, either at the oceanfront bar or sitting by the salt water pool looking out over the ocean. The ocean was a little rough when I was there but I did manage to go in one day with the help of Christine, Rocky and Sue. I am sure the snorkelling would be great on calmer days. The rooms all face the ocean. I stayed in a ground floor garden room and could still see the ocean from my patio. The seaside rooms offer a wonderful oceanfront location if you prefer and unrestricted view of the ocean. The rooms are lovely and big with a good-size bathroom. I preferred to use the overhead fan for cooling rather than the AC. The rooms are kept immaculately clean by Kadene and her housekeeping team. Since there are no phones in the rooms they provide you with a cell phone.
If you want to go on any excursions or tours Heather will be happy to arrange them. She is always available to answer any questions or help solve any problem you might have.
What can I say about Daneisha and her spa team - they're awesome! They provide top-notch, professional services. And Peter, the reflexologist is amazing. Best to have it done in the evening watching the stars. Soooo relaxing.
Chef Kevin, one of the best, if not the best chefs in Jamaica, and his team create delicious, healthy, beautiful food in the Blue Mahoe Restaurant. Starting with breakfast - eggs benedict, omelettes, wraps and Jamaican breakfast - to lunch - to dinner. From the appetizers to dessert there is something for every taste - mozzarella and tomatoes, coconut shrimp, bruschetta, the curried goat, jerk dishes, lobster and seafood, fresh fish, tender juicy steak. Oh yes, and the desserts - coconut cream pic, mango creme brulee, chocolate. Yum! I must mention that if there is anything you want all you have to do is ask.
I have to acknowledge the groundskeepers - they have created and are tirelessly maintaining a beautiful environment even with the sometimes unpredictable weather.
I want to mention everyone by name because they are all so awesome but I might forget someone. I want you to know that you are all special to me. I will see you again.
Thank you Christine and Shane for creating this wonderful little paradise.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank slynnnalberta
Thank you for your wonderful review, we very much appreciate your kind words. It is our deepest desire to create a "home away from home" for all of our guests and we are pleased to know that we achieved this for you! We look forward to welcoming you back for the 2013 Yoga Wellness Retreat! One love.
Ottawa
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a new Canadian owned property with the owners as hosts. There is a cordial friendly atmosphere with a well trained Jamaican staff. All the rooms face the sea although the garden rooms have a restricted view. The 2nd floor rooftop rooms see the wonderful sunsets. There are 7 lovely cottage rooms poolside and along the cliffs and 1 rooftop suite with a private secluded balcony. The spa offers open air treatments and appointments are easy to book.
The restaurant, Blue Mahoe, is getting a splendid reputation which is deserves. Chef Kevin is island renowned. The prepared food is delicious but we were very disappointed with the included continental breakfast and chose instead the a la carte meals.
This boutique hotel has a small footprint and so everything is easy to access. Curvaceous stone walls and paths add much to the beauty of the place.
The pool is sea-side and there is a ladder into the sea for snorkeling.
Night life and beaches are close-by.

Room Tip: The cottage rooms are further from the street, quieter and have the best views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Derek T
Thank you for taking the time to review The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff and the ambiance of our hand cut stonework. We apologize if you did not enjoy our complimentary assortment of freshly baked muffins, cereal, fruit, juices and Blue Mountain Coffee. We always welcome feedback and suggestions that we can pass on to our team to continually improve. Thank you & we look forward to your return one day. One love!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!