“A Lovely Day”

Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Lovely Day”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I recently traveled to Negril with a friend for a few days of R&R at one of the beach resorts. We passed The Spa Retreat on our way to another resort and decided to check it out online. We scheduled a spa treatment for each of us and The Spa Retreat did not disappoint. We each enjoyed a service overlooking the cliffs and the ocean........AMAZING! Our esthetician Daneisha was incredible. After our treatments we enjoyed lunch at their restaurant the Blue Mahoe and laid out on the cliffs for the rest of the afternoon. The cliffs is a wonderful change of pace from the beach. It's much more serene. When I return to Negril, The Spa Retreat will be at the top of my list.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank TravelinGirl2012
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for your review and for taking the time to visit us from another local Negril hotel. We are so happy that you both enjoyed your seaside SPA treatments & dining experience at our Blue Mahoe Restaurant. Looking forward to having you as a future guest of The SPA Retreat! One love.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Arabic first
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My husband and I just got back from a 5 night stay at the SPA Retreat. Our experience was so great that it's hard to convey.
Every single staff member was amazing. They were so professional and helpful, and we received that absolute best treatment from each one of them. Everyone is approachable, including the owner. We had a minor issue with a vendor outside of the resort (which had nothing to do with the SPA Retreat), and when the office caught wind of it they took it upon themselves to completely solve the misunderstanding. That was absolutely above and beyond, especially considering we never mentioned anything to the front office about it.
If there is anything you need, you can always just ask. If they can make it happen, they certainly will.
The rooms are just phenomenal! We spent our first few nights in a seaside room, which was amazing. When we thought it couldn't get any better, they upgraded us to the bridal suite!
I was particularly fond of the resident dog, Rosa. She is very playful and well-mannered, and she loves to go swimming with you! Any time that we were eating, staff members quickly took her away (although I wasn't bothered).
The spa services were fantastic. I had a massage every day I was there, and they were very relaxing. It was an awesome experience to have a massage in a cabana while listening to the waves crashing behind you. I highly recommend! Also, my husband got sunburned pretty badly one of the first days there. The massage therapist caught a glimpse of him and came and rubbed fresh aloe on his back several times.
We ventured out of the resort one day to see what the outside was like and get a few souvenirs, and we quickly gained even more appreciation for the resort. It certainly wasn't bad, but we were SO spoiled that we couldn't wait to get back!
We truly had the best vacation we've ever taken at the SPA Retreat. If you are looking for a place to relax and take in the beauty, you will not regret coming here. EVERYTHING was top notch: the staff, the Blue Mahoe, the rooms, the service, the location, and just the atmosphere itself.

4 Thank NathanandTrista
Thank you for your kind words of our staff and your exceptional experience - our aim is to continually exceed our guests expectations each and everyday. We are humbled to have provided you with “the best vacation you’ve ever taken” and look forward to your next visit to The SPA Retreat! One love.
Vilonia, Arkansas
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our 7-night stay at The Spa Retreat, celebrating our honeymoon. Neither of us had ever been to Jamaica, however Trip Advisor made the search so easy. When looking into a place to stay in Jamaica, The Spa Retreat was hands-down the best place to vacation based on guest comments and ratings. And for all those comments we read, and all those great ratings, what we experienced was far beyond my expectations. This was a very special stay for my wife and I as we were looking for something a bit secluded, a place where we could get some rest, a place where we can spend a lot of one-on-one time together. And from Christine the owner, to the entire staff, they made is so special as we have never been more pampered in our life. The entire hotel facility is brand new, beautifully decorated, exquisite flowers & trees at every turn, and they cater to every need you have. You don’t need to leave the resort as they have everything and more, from 5-star dining at the Blue Mahoe to beautiful rooms, snorkeling, and the most beautiful ocean view when you wake up every morning. We stayed in a Seaside cottage for the first 3 days which are much like small cabana’s, but when Christine found out we had just gotten married, they upgraded us for free to the bridal suite which blew us away (well, my wife was IN on this surprise). Waking up to the ocean view every morning was priceless. The Blue Mahoe restaurant was excellent, so much so that we ate EVERY meal for 8 days at that restaurant. The menu is phenomenal for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and if they don’t have it, they will make it for you. And the most wonderful part of the restaurant is eating right on the ocean, literally you are ocean-side and the views are mesmerizing. My wife also had a massage in a cabana overlooking the ocean and she has commented several times that the massages were wonderful as well as the facial she received.

This is an amazing resort that has ensured a future visit from us because of their personal service to your every need. We can’t wait to visit again and see the entire staff. Thanks for a great honeymoon!

3 Thank MarkandCindi
Thank you for your review and for joining us on your honeymoon! We are so glad you enjoyed the privacy, seclusion and restful ambiance that The SPA Retreat provides. Perhaps we’ll see you again for Anniversary #1 or sooner…One Love.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 11, 2012

If you're looking for place that's quaint, beautiful, and you'll be treated like Monarchy, this is the place for you. My husband and I just returned last week, and we're still talking about it. The resort was simply beautiful and quite peaceful, and the spa treatments were OUTSTANDING! The thatched roof cottages were gorgeous, and by far prettier than any other resort. We visitied a few others while we were there, and couldn't wait to get back to our resort. Additionally, it wasn't overcrowded like most of the other locations. Additionally every time we left the resort they would call ahead at our next destination to let them know we were coming and MADE sure they had everything we needed.

The best part, however, was the treatment we received. The food and the service was simply superb! Such an awesome staff- Heather, Diane, Aneisha, Marcia, Camiel, and Wayne-the best!!!) We informed them it was our first Anniversary, and they upgraded us to the Bridal suite and showered us with Champagne! We also can't say enough about the food! We chose the all-inclusive and were not disappointed at all. The cooks made sure we were pleased with EVERY dish! They even made us special items that weren't on the menu. (Thanks Camiel, for teaching me how to make the pumpkin soup). While we did eat at other locations, the food was ALWAYS better at the "Blue Mahoe". We even tasted a new dish, that's not coming out until next week!! The only downfall was no exercise equipment, but no need to fear, the owner, Christine, says that is on the way. You won't be disappointed with your stay here!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any room, but the rooftop cottages have king-sized beds.
5 Thank NMCCRARY
Thank you for your review! Our team is humbled by your kind words and we’re so glad you enjoyed your time in Negril with us. Happy Anniversary & we look forward to your return to Negril’s Newest Gem, The SPA Retreat. One Love.
Reviewed June 7, 2012

My husband and I just got back yesterday from a 5 night stay at The Spa Retreat, celebrating our anniversary. We chose this resort based on the all the wonderful ratings on Trip Advisor. We have stayed in Jamaica twice before, once at Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay and once at Sandals Negril, and we loved them both. But The Spa Retreat completey blows the others away. There is no comparison between this resort and all the others, it is simply that wonderful! If you are trying to decide where to stay and are torn between some of the resorts, please believe me when I say that The Spa Retreat is the best resort here, you won't find any better.
We had never stayed on the cliff side before, and we loved it. We went snorkeling everyday right in front of the resort. We brought our own snorkeling gear, but the hotel does supply it also. We saw starfish, crab, stingrays and lots of fish. It was just a good as any snorkeling trip we have done. And we could do it on our own time, that was the best part.
The grounds are beautifully maintained, the rooms are very clean and comfortable. We stayed in a Seaside cottage and loved having an ocean view to look at each morning. We liked the cabana feel it had to it, but we talked to others in the rooftop rooms, and they seemed to like those just as well. You won't be disappointed in whatever room you choose.
Now onto the food...the most important part! You have the option to do all inclusive if you would like. My husband and I chose all inclusive on the first day and the last day, not sure if we would want to eat there during our whole trip. Honestly, the next time we go, we are going to do all inclusive the whole trip. The food at The Blue Mahoe is really that good! We ate out twice, and both times we regretted it. You can't get better food outside of this resort, it's really that good. Everything on the menu is delicious and very fresh, cooked to order. And eating on the outdoor patio with tiki torches just enhances the experience.
We each had three spa treatments done each, they were wonderful. My husband and I visit the spa at every resort we visit. I have never had treatments as good as these while out of the country. Obviously we think so, we went almost everyday. We had massages, body scrubs and facials. They were all great, and most of them were done under a cabana on a cliff, overlooking the ocean...heaven on earth!
I could go on and on about this resort. But as beautiful as it is, nothing is more beautiful than the staff at The Spa Retreat. We had the pleasure of meeting Christine, the owner. She is onsite everyday, talking to the guests and making us feel like home. Her staff is absolutely wonderful and it's so nice getting to know them, they are beautiful people. This is one of the many perks of being at a small resort vs a larger one. They are definitely what makes this resort such a gem...and we can't wait to go back and stay next year! This is an amazing resort!

9 Thank Mavsgirl2
Thank you for your review! Snorkelling along Negril’s West End at The SPA Retreat is simply fabulous and something everyone should experience and we thank you for sharing this trip highlight. To be compared above and beyond other 5* hotels is truly flattering and we are humbled, but most importantly we are thrilled to have shared in a wonderful Anniversary experience for you both! One love.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We loved this hotel. We just returned from Jamaica today & I wanted to write a review while this wonderful property was still fresh in my mind!

Heather at the front desk was amazing. She was extremely helpful with everything. All the staff at the SPA are great. They are warm, welcoming, friendly and knowledgable. We have stayed at many hotels over the years and have never encountered such a great and caring staff.

The hotel is beautiful and peaceful just like the pictures. I would recommend going during the off season. We felt like we had the place to ourselves.

The SPA must still be under construction but they are still able to do spa services. We each had 2 massages while we were there. Normally at destination resorts you get a mediocure spa service for a high price...that was not the case here. The massage therapist aw excellent with a firm touch!! And our services was outside in a cabana by the cliffs.

The cliffs by the way are low down close to the ocean so you can jump off to snorkel or swim with no problem. At first we were a little concerned about being away from the beach but it was even better being by the cliffs as we didn't have to deal with the beach crowds & craziness...yet we were close enough to go to the beach & walk up & down the 7 mile beach making a day of it. We walked the whole thing over 2 days.

The views are amazing! The sunset is gorgeous. The rooms are comfortable & clean.
Keepin mind the cottages closer to the water have queen beds and not all the rooms have tvs...so if your a tv person just request one. I am a tv person so I was happy to have one in the room.

One more thing...it was our anniversary so they gave us a bottle of champagne and put rose petals all over the room and bed! Very romantic!

Loved it. We will return!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great with good views....just keep in mind the queen sized beds & tvs in certa...
7 Thank Amanda M
Thank you for your review! We are so glad you both enjoyed your time at The SPA Retreat and truly appreciate the kind words of our highly valued staff. As one of the 1st resorts along the Cliffs we are close in proximity to both downtown and the beach “without the crowds and craziness” as you say, and we’re so glad you got to experience all of wonderful Negril. We look forward to your return! One Love
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Seriously, this is the most amazing place I have ever been. I chose this hotel based on the reviews on tripadvisor and I could not be more thankful to all of you for guiding me in the perfect direction! I had never been to Jamaica before but was looking for a boutique hotel that offered the safety of an all inclusive (as I would be traveling part of my vacation alone and wasnt sure I would want to leave the hotel grounds) but the intimacy of a family establishment and offered a full service spa. As many have said, I was hesitant that the TA reviews must be exagerrated or fabricated because it seemed impossible that a place this perfect could exist.

I am here to tell you that it was everything that all of the other reviewers have said and more. It is hard to put in words the complete and total experience of peace and tranquility that is The Spa Retreat. I believe myself to be a rather critical traveler....I work hard and want to feel that I am spending my money for an experience that is second to none. The Spa Retreat is second to none. It has the safety of a large all-inclusive (there are men guarding the front gate and night security always walking the grounds), the personalized attention and service of a 5star/elite establishment, and the intimacy of the quaint mom and pop villas I have stayed at in on the cliffs in Capri. Oh, and I havent even mentioned the phenomenal food.

I stayed at The Spa Retreat for a much needed week away from the world at the beginning of May/12. A great friend was able to escape her husband and children and join me for half of the week and I stayed the rest of the time by myself. Everything was perfect. I felt completely relaxed and totally pampered. The staff and owners were exceptional. As it was low season (and I'm fairly certain this resort remains the best kept secret in Jamaica), there were days when I was one of only a handful of guests. However, I could not have asked for a more perfect experience.... I believe that I received the individualized attention and much needed tranquility that would still exist were the retreat at full capacity (I believe full capacity is only 36 guests?).

During my week, I had three massages over looking the most amazing view. I get massages about twice a month back home (because I have a bad back) and have to say these were also second to none. Excellent and personalized. Everyone on staff knows you by name and treats you like an old friend. On my last day there, I was having some back pain (which is very typical for me) and the owner, Christine must have heard about this and sent the massage therapist to my cottage to rub tiger balm on my back and then picked me up some analgesics when she went to town. This is not your ordinary hotel. That day, I think every staff member (from my server, Sheryl to my housekeeper, Kadeen, to my bartender Joel) all asked me how I was feeling.

I should also mention that during my stay, there were two young women staying at the retreat who were employees of the The Spa Day Retreat in Ontario. As I was vacationing alone for part of my stay, we became fast friends and they extended their kindness and generosity in the most sincere manner. Along with Shane and Christine (the owners), we spent long, lazy hours on the beach having drinks and calamari, talking and laughing and enjoying the sunset. The kindness and sincerity that Tanya and Jen shared with me is a perfect display of the overall impression that this company exudes...it was perfect.

In order to capture the essence of The Spa Retreat, I will share one final perfect moment. As I was still sloughing off the stress from back home, I was having some difficulty with sleep my first few nights in Jamaica. This was completely resolved when Peter, a beautiful and wise older Rastafari gentleman on staff at The Spa Retreat, offered reflexogy on my veranda before bed. I layed on the lounge chair on the veranda of my cottage and Peter performed reflexogy and the best foot massage I've ever had for what seemed like hours. I was all by myself, looking out at the most magnificent view of the ocean while this peace-filled gentleman compassionately soothed my stress away. When he finished, I stumbled into my room and slept like a baby.

It is my greatest wish to return to The Spa Retreat every year and I strongly encourage you to do the same. Although it would be the perfect spot for a couple, it was also perfect for a girl's spa trip, and even more perfect for someone traveling alone and trying to escape the stress of the real world without feeling lonely.

Room Tip: This is a small resort so all rooms are equally great. If you prefer to be a bit further from the r...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank Anna L
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you for your great review! We are thrilled you spent your first visit to beautiful Jamaica with us; enjoying SPA treatments, dining in our Blue Mahoe Restaurant, lounging by the pool and meeting new friends! As you’ve travelled the world, we are humbled by your lovely review of The SPA Retreat and our staff. We can’t wait to have you as a return guest next year. One Love.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!