“Simply Amazing...A Perfect Get-Away”

The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Coral Springs, Florida
“Simply Amazing...A Perfect Get-Away”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This resort is top notch for peace and quiet, romance, and luxury. The staff are extremely friendly and always ready to help. Whether it's Heather at the front desk, Wayne at the bar, or Kevin the chef, the people here are just super nice.
We stayed in a seaside cottage which was just perfect. Although the bed was a little small, it was not a problem. There was a TV, which we used for music only, A/C which made for comfortable sleeping, and they give you a cell phone to use as needed. A mini-fridge stocked with bottled water too. In terms of accommodations, it was top notch.
The pool area was very nice, although the pool is saltwater. Not a terrible thing, but considering the ocean is right there, it may have been nice to have a fresh water to swim in. The Blue Mahoe Restaurant, on the premises, was alright. Food not quite as authentic as we would have liked, but the setting cannot be beat. Breakfast seaside every morning was a true pleasure.
There is not much one could say negative about this place and I really don't want to discourage anyone. If you can, stay here for sure. The only reason I rated it "Very Good" instead of "Excellent" was the following:
1) The music that is played for all to listen to was a bit too contemporary and not as relaxing as it could be. Rather than Top 100, they should play New Age, soothing, Buddah Bar-type music. Much more relaxing in this kind of a setting.
2) The restaurant was okay, but we found some local places where the food was better and less expensive.
3) We had some plumbing issues in our bathroom. Shower pressure was VERY low. We had asked it be fixed, which the tried to do, but didn't really help. In addition, the toilet took forever to re-fill, probably because of the low water pressure in the unit. None of this is a big deal, but when you're paying top dollar to stay somewhere, I guess you could hope for perfection.
4) A fresh water pool would be nice and maybe a larger bed. Again, neither of these are big deals and would never stop me from staying there again.

Room Tip: It seems for a bit more privacy, the higher numbered seaside cottages are better.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Zuluman69
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you for your review! We are so glad you both enjoyed your time at The SPA Retreat and truly appreciate the feedback you’ve given, as well as the kind words of our highly valued staff. We look forward to your return! One Love

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Arabic first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2012

By far the most amazing place I have ever stayed. My boyfriend and I were so relaxed the whole stay and were able to enjoy eachothers company. We did not have to worry about anything else for a change. Every single staff at the resort was so welcoming and delivered outstanding service in every way. As soon as we left our rooms each day, the cleaning staff were there to make sure it was immaculate by the time we got back. The bartenders were always at the bar ready to make whatever drink you felt like, whether it was on the menu or not. The office managers were there for anything you needed at the resort, and offered assistance in planning any day trips you wanted to take. The Spa has their own taxi's that they call for their clients which was a huge relief. The owner of the resort was always around assuring that everything was running smoothly and making sure our time at The Spa was everything we had hoped for, which it was. Any time we stepped off the resort, we wished we were right back there because of the amazing atmosphere. The Blue Mahoe (the Retreat Restaurant) was outstanding. We were quick to realize that it was most definitely the best restaurant around. The kitchen staff were so much fun and always made sure your food was prepared the exact way you wanted it. Every morning I looked forward to the delicious muffins and the fresh cut fruit. The ocean was also one of the best things about the retreat. You get to wake up to the ocean view every morning and go to sleep with the sounds of the ocean every night. Everything was truely incredible and I would recommend this resort to anyone.You will not be disappointed. I was fortunate enough to spend a whole week at this paradise, and every day since I've been back home I keep wishing and hoping that I will find my way there again.

10 Thank madison h
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you for reviewing The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your experience and look forward to having you as a guest of "Negril's Newest Gem" again one day! One love.
atlanta
Reviewed May 1, 2012

My husband and I just celebrated our 10 year anniversary at the SPA Retreat in Negril. We had the best experience - everything about this place is wonderful. The service, the food, the view, the drinks, the atmosphere. From the moment we walked in, Heather ensured a perfect stay and remained a friendly presence throughout our visit. We loved our bartenders, Joel and Wayne. Rosa, the staff dog, is a sweet girl. She likes to dive in with you into the ocean and protect you while you are swimming! We enjoyed talking with Shane and Christine about how they planned for this resort, and what their vision is for it. This place is close to perfect now and will only get better. We have stayed in many resorts throughout the Caribbean from St. Barths to Grand Cayman and this is one of the best around.

Room Tip: There is no fitness center on site but I couldn't find an "n/a" button for it on TripA...
15 Thank ondaroad-atl
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Thank you for choosing to review The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We are honoured that you have considered us as the "Best Resort in Negril"! On behalf of Heather, Joel, Wayne, Rosa & the entire team, it was a pleasure to have you as our guests and we look forward to your return upon your next trip to the West End Cliffs of Negril, Jamaica! One love.
Hopewell, Hanover, Jamaica
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This is a place you need to go,to experience the cuisine that have awaits us. Its a place to where you can go to calm you mind and relax you body, I just want to say the food there is excellent and the staff are wonderful,I just want to thank Mr. Kourtnay Dunkley for inviting us at his organization and for the wonderful experience at THE SPA Retreat in negril,and I shall surely return there someday.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Keniel
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Our team is so glad you enjoyed your visit to The SPA Retreat, only a short drive from Hanover itself! We look forward to seeing you again at our Blue Mahoe Restaurant...One Love.
Reviewed April 26, 2012

This was our second time in Negril, Jamaica. We chose the Spa Retreat based on the excellent reviews here on TripAdvisor. Truthfully, I looked and saw that the Spa was rated number 1 with 100% of the reviews being 'excellent' and decided to book right away, after snagging a great seat sale for our flights. We are so glad we made the choice to spend our vacation at this peaceful, clean, gorgeous and well maintained property where we encountered some of the best customer service we have ever experienced.

Both my husband and I work very hard and were fairly burnt out when we booked our trip to Jamaica. Our hope was to spend a week reconnecting and also resting in order to return to our hectic lives feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. This is definitely how we felt as we were leaving the Spa after our week there. This is the perfect location to get away from it all.

It is apparent that all of the staff who work at this Spa Retreat share a common vision. In my opinion, this is what makes an already beautiful and pristine setting become the type of place we would not hesitate to return to again and again. To distill the shared perspective of the staff and management into one word might be Responsiveness. They do an excellent job of being responsive to their guests and what they need. As I mentioned, both my husband and I were looking for some solitude and rest. At the beginning of our stay, they supported this by cleaning the rooms when we were at breakfast, whereupon we would return to a beautifully clean and appointed room that we could relax in, overlooking the water. We retreated to our beautiful space and hung out in the deck chairs on our private patio overlooking the beautiful water and sky, knowing that if we needed anything we could use the provided cell phone to call the front desk and ask for it. Knowing that our need to retreat was supported by the staff helped us relax all the more. The regular 5:30 pm turn down service was a nice touch as it gave us an opportunity to see a friendly face (Kadene) and also get some ice if we needed it. We often had a drink before dinner that week. A nice touch as the sun went down.

On other days, where we were feeling chattier, there was always a friendly face at the bar during both day and night, and the cleaning staff, kitchen staff, management and excellent Chef Kevin were always around with a sincere and affable smile and a relaxed and easy presence. I cannot express enough how much this made our stay. We stayed at another location last year on 7 mile beach that we enjoyed, but I recall at least a few times a day feeling a bit 'stressed' by either the aggressiveness of the people on the beach trying to sell you something if you went for a walk, the crowded feeling, not being able to find shade, or wondering how to make something like a dinner reservation to another place or a cab ride happen on our own. Instead, with the Spa Retreat, we knew we could escape from the crowds and also rely on Heather and Diane to answer any questions we had.

A small amenity that went a long way was the cell phone we were given when we started our vacation. This cell phone was pre-loaded with 1000 international minutes as well as enough daytime minutes for us to call local amenities when we wanted to try out a neighbouring restaurant. At the time I thought we would likely not use it, but during our stay we had one family member pass away and another close friend's father pass away. Having a phone during this time was so incredibly helpful, not only to keep in touch with our family and friends, but also to arrange floral arrangements and travel plans. It also meant we could connect to the SPA if we were out and about and needed to get in touch.

Another small touch I thought was great was the fresh squeezed orange juice in the morning. The continental breakfast was very good, with delicious coffee, fresh oj, home made muffins and delicious fresh fruit. Some days we had our breakfast in the main dining area, and other times my husband would bring breakfast for us to share on our patio.

Have I mentioned how much we loved our little patio out front of our octagon room? We LOVED it. It was so great throughout the day and also after sunset when the stars came out.

Thank you to everyone for a great week. We are feeling amazing and I'm reluctant to think about work again. I'd rather just look at all of the great pictures we have from our stay.

11 Thank Rumourhasit
Thank you for your review of The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We must agree, the location is superb for relaxation, the perfect hideaway! We look forward to having you as our guests again one day! Until then, one love.
Mississippi
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My fiance and arrived at The Spa Retreat on Sat. April 14th and stayed until the 20th. As soon as we arrived and walked around, we knew we wanted to stay longer. We added another day to the trip immediately. Dian and Heather were SO very welcoming and helpful in every way imaginable. They like to say," you show up, let us do everything else." And trust me when I say they really mean it. The resort is beautiful, small, cozy, and romantic. We spent the first nights in a second floor balcony room which was perfect, with very nice linens and a great, hi-tech air conditioner. We switched to one of the octagon cottages mid stay just to be closer to the water. It was divine. This resort is very private and you feel as though you are the only guests. It is adult only, which we loved. Very quiet and peaceful.

The food...what can I say? We fell in love with Kevin, the executive chef, who can make anything!! The menu is fantastic and there is not a thing on it I would not recommend trying. We loved everything he created so much, for the last few days, we told him," just surprise us." He has a fun, jovial personality that radiates his love of food and creating masterpieces. Judith, Sheldon and the others in the kitchen are masters of the craft, as well.

Wayne, the bartender, is a jewel. He can make any drink you might want and it will taste divine. We so enjoyed sitting at the outside bar getting to know him and learning about Jamaica. Every time I look back at my photos and see his smiling face, I get a little sad because he made our trip so special. Saying good bye to Wayne was hard and I hope to see his beautiful smiling face when we return next year. Spa Retreat would not be the same without him.

Christine, the owner, was on site and a delight to visit and chat with. She has a wonderful vision for Spa Retreat and has been unrelenting in having things just the way she wants. IT SHOWS!!! From picking the best people to be on site for day to day operation and all the extras this resort offers made us decide to have our wedding there next year. We are in the process of planning this now and I look forward to the wonderful ideas the staff will come up with for this special time.

Many thanks to all of the wonderful people who stood out to us: Sherrill, Georgia, Harris, Townis, Jackson, Samantha, Nathalee, Marcie, Camille, Audley, Kadene, Howie and anyone I might have forgotten. You were all precious to us with your kind faces and beautiful smiles.

Yoga and Pilates with Rosa overlooking the Caribbean were fabulous. Very strenuous classes and exceptional workouts. What a gorgeous setting as well.

I cannot wait to return to Spa Retreat. It was the trip of a lifetime!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great. Get as close to the water as possible.
9 Thank Southerngems
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel team! It was a joy to have you as our guests and we look forward to working together in planning a beautiful wedding day for you both! One love.
jamaica
Reviewed April 24, 2012

A group of 5 stayed at the Spa last weekend and it was absolutely wonderful. The food is excellent and the personable chef, Kevin Brown made us a wonderful dinner with the tasty Lion fish...

Christine, the manager is warm and friendly and catered expressly to our every need and we felt well feted.

Heather and the service staff gets a 120% for offering excellent service.

The ocean front cottage was spacious, clean and comfortable.

The grounds are beautiful and the sea water filled pool is a superb touch.

Thumbs up to you....Spa Retreat!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank Oona E
It was a pleasure to have you as guests of The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your experience with us, including your time with Executive Chef Kevin & the cuisine at our Blue Mahoe Restaurant! Until next time, one love.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
#8 of 81 in Negril
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!