“The Perfect Place to Relax and Rejuvenate”

The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels in Negril
“The Perfect Place to Relax and Rejuvenate”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

This was our second time in Negril, Jamaica. We chose the Spa Retreat based on the excellent reviews here on TripAdvisor. Truthfully, I looked and saw that the Spa was rated number 1 with 100% of the reviews being 'excellent' and decided to book right away, after snagging a great seat sale for our flights. We are so glad we made the choice to spend our vacation at this peaceful, clean, gorgeous and well maintained property where we encountered some of the best customer service we have ever experienced.

Both my husband and I work very hard and were fairly burnt out when we booked our trip to Jamaica. Our hope was to spend a week reconnecting and also resting in order to return to our hectic lives feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. This is definitely how we felt as we were leaving the Spa after our week there. This is the perfect location to get away from it all.

It is apparent that all of the staff who work at this Spa Retreat share a common vision. In my opinion, this is what makes an already beautiful and pristine setting become the type of place we would not hesitate to return to again and again. To distill the shared perspective of the staff and management into one word might be Responsiveness. They do an excellent job of being responsive to their guests and what they need. As I mentioned, both my husband and I were looking for some solitude and rest. At the beginning of our stay, they supported this by cleaning the rooms when we were at breakfast, whereupon we would return to a beautifully clean and appointed room that we could relax in, overlooking the water. We retreated to our beautiful space and hung out in the deck chairs on our private patio overlooking the beautiful water and sky, knowing that if we needed anything we could use the provided cell phone to call the front desk and ask for it. Knowing that our need to retreat was supported by the staff helped us relax all the more. The regular 5:30 pm turn down service was a nice touch as it gave us an opportunity to see a friendly face (Kadene) and also get some ice if we needed it. We often had a drink before dinner that week. A nice touch as the sun went down.

On other days, where we were feeling chattier, there was always a friendly face at the bar during both day and night, and the cleaning staff, kitchen staff, management and excellent Chef Kevin were always around with a sincere and affable smile and a relaxed and easy presence. I cannot express enough how much this made our stay. We stayed at another location last year on 7 mile beach that we enjoyed, but I recall at least a few times a day feeling a bit 'stressed' by either the aggressiveness of the people on the beach trying to sell you something if you went for a walk, the crowded feeling, not being able to find shade, or wondering how to make something like a dinner reservation to another place or a cab ride happen on our own. Instead, with the Spa Retreat, we knew we could escape from the crowds and also rely on Heather and Diane to answer any questions we had.

A small amenity that went a long way was the cell phone we were given when we started our vacation. This cell phone was pre-loaded with 1000 international minutes as well as enough daytime minutes for us to call local amenities when we wanted to try out a neighbouring restaurant. At the time I thought we would likely not use it, but during our stay we had one family member pass away and another close friend's father pass away. Having a phone during this time was so incredibly helpful, not only to keep in touch with our family and friends, but also to arrange floral arrangements and travel plans. It also meant we could connect to the SPA if we were out and about and needed to get in touch.

Another small touch I thought was great was the fresh squeezed orange juice in the morning. The continental breakfast was very good, with delicious coffee, fresh oj, home made muffins and delicious fresh fruit. Some days we had our breakfast in the main dining area, and other times my husband would bring breakfast for us to share on our patio.

Have I mentioned how much we loved our little patio out front of our octagon room? We LOVED it. It was so great throughout the day and also after sunset when the stars came out.

Thank you to everyone for a great week. We are feeling amazing and I'm reluctant to think about work again. I'd rather just look at all of the great pictures we have from our stay.

11 Thank Rumourhasit
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Thank you for your review of The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We must agree, the location is superb for relaxation, the perfect hideaway! We look forward to having you as our guests again one day! Until then, one love.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Arabic first
Mississippi
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My fiance and arrived at The Spa Retreat on Sat. April 14th and stayed until the 20th. As soon as we arrived and walked around, we knew we wanted to stay longer. We added another day to the trip immediately. Dian and Heather were SO very welcoming and helpful in every way imaginable. They like to say," you show up, let us do everything else." And trust me when I say they really mean it. The resort is beautiful, small, cozy, and romantic. We spent the first nights in a second floor balcony room which was perfect, with very nice linens and a great, hi-tech air conditioner. We switched to one of the octagon cottages mid stay just to be closer to the water. It was divine. This resort is very private and you feel as though you are the only guests. It is adult only, which we loved. Very quiet and peaceful.

The food...what can I say? We fell in love with Kevin, the executive chef, who can make anything!! The menu is fantastic and there is not a thing on it I would not recommend trying. We loved everything he created so much, for the last few days, we told him," just surprise us." He has a fun, jovial personality that radiates his love of food and creating masterpieces. Judith, Sheldon and the others in the kitchen are masters of the craft, as well.

Wayne, the bartender, is a jewel. He can make any drink you might want and it will taste divine. We so enjoyed sitting at the outside bar getting to know him and learning about Jamaica. Every time I look back at my photos and see his smiling face, I get a little sad because he made our trip so special. Saying good bye to Wayne was hard and I hope to see his beautiful smiling face when we return next year. Spa Retreat would not be the same without him.

Christine, the owner, was on site and a delight to visit and chat with. She has a wonderful vision for Spa Retreat and has been unrelenting in having things just the way she wants. IT SHOWS!!! From picking the best people to be on site for day to day operation and all the extras this resort offers made us decide to have our wedding there next year. We are in the process of planning this now and I look forward to the wonderful ideas the staff will come up with for this special time.

Many thanks to all of the wonderful people who stood out to us: Sherrill, Georgia, Harris, Townis, Jackson, Samantha, Nathalee, Marcie, Camille, Audley, Kadene, Howie and anyone I might have forgotten. You were all precious to us with your kind faces and beautiful smiles.

Yoga and Pilates with Rosa overlooking the Caribbean were fabulous. Very strenuous classes and exceptional workouts. What a gorgeous setting as well.

I cannot wait to return to Spa Retreat. It was the trip of a lifetime!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great. Get as close to the water as possible.
9 Thank Southerngems
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel team! It was a joy to have you as our guests and we look forward to working together in planning a beautiful wedding day for you both! One love.
jamaica
Reviewed April 24, 2012

A group of 5 stayed at the Spa last weekend and it was absolutely wonderful. The food is excellent and the personable chef, Kevin Brown made us a wonderful dinner with the tasty Lion fish...

Christine, the manager is warm and friendly and catered expressly to our every need and we felt well feted.

Heather and the service staff gets a 120% for offering excellent service.

The ocean front cottage was spacious, clean and comfortable.

The grounds are beautiful and the sea water filled pool is a superb touch.

Thumbs up to you....Spa Retreat!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank Oona E
It was a pleasure to have you as guests of The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your experience with us, including your time with Executive Chef Kevin & the cuisine at our Blue Mahoe Restaurant! Until next time, one love.
Atlanta
Reviewed April 22, 2012

My wife and I were fortunate to spend a night at the Spa Retreat the evening of April 20th. From the time we rode through the gate we were truly impressed with the quality of the resort. Although they have only been up and running for about 6 months the lush, meticulous landscape that embraces the resort appears to have been there for decades. The resort is immaculate and very intimate. This is an exceptional place for couples who appreciate great service and wonderful amenities. My wife had a massage with Denisha and said it was the best she had ever had anywhere. We have traveled to many nice resorts throughtout the carribean including anse chastenet (st lucia) and Bitter End Yacht Club (BVIs). The Spa Retreat does a fantastic job of balancing the quiet boutique feel with the luxuries that many find important like strong water pressure and cold air conditioning. Nothing appears out of place and the staff is friendly and helpful but not overbearing. The food is the best in Negril and a moonlight dinner for two by the water over candlelight is a must. They even provide small flashlights to help read the menu as your primary light is the stars and the tiki torches, very nice touch. You truly feel like you are at your own private resort and the resort owners dog Rosa adds a homelike atmosphere often accompanying snorklers on their jump into the crystal blue waters in front of the resort. Another bonus is that unlike many negril high end cliff resorts they have a beach where the lounge chairs are so you can still enjoy the beach feel while enjoying the unique experience that is the negril cliffs. Plan to leave the resort feeling refreshed and without a care in the world.

Room Tip: We were upgraded into the ocean view suite which had the best views in the resort from our porch.
8 Thank AndyatlAtlanta
Thank you for your fabulous review of The SPA Retreat Boutique hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed our intimate property, including the small beach area, which we must agree is the perfect addition to our cliff side accomodations. We look forward to your return to "Negril's Newest Gem"! One love.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The SPA Retreat for four nights in April and our only complaint was that it wasn't long enough! We had high hopes for the hotel based on pictures we had seen and reviews we had read, but the property exceeded our expectations. The stonework and lush tropical landscaping were beautiful, but what really struck us initially was how peaceful it felt! We stayed in Octagon 2, which had gorgeous views from every window and door and we left the windows and doors open much of the time to smell the sea breeze and abundant tropical flowers. We loved the feeling of privacy we felt, and it was like a second honeymoon (after 17 years of marraige), staying in the unique stone cottages.

One of our very favorite things to do was snorkel right on sight, and we spent two mornings viewing the amazing world found just under the surface. We had thought that we were going to reserve a boat and guide to take us somewhere to snorkel, but decided against it when we found the snorkeling so amazing in the reefs in front of the hotel. The best snorkeling is found in front of where the spa is located. The reefs were teeming with a variety of colored fish and many times we were surrounded by clouds of small silver fish. The most beautiful thing we saw was a giant spotted eagle ray gracefully swimming by.

We would recommend requesting Howie to drive you around if you want to venture off the property. He is so friendly, with a ready smile, and told us all about what we were seeing and really knew his way around. He took us to Rick's Cafe and Mayfield Falls (which we would recommend) through the mountains and knew just the place when we wanted to try some local food for lunch. We tried "Juicy Patties" and had a pattie, which was a flaky pastry filled with meat or vegetables, and coco bread. He also took us to some local vendors to try all kinds of fruits that we had never heard of, and got us a great deal on jetskiing. We also used Donavan, who was a great driver as well, who took us to try fresh coconuts and to the craft market.

The staff was so friendly and helpful, but nonintrusive. We fell in love with Sherrill who helped us with breakfast every morning and was sweet and easy to talk to. Wayne, the bartender, was really great as well. Neither I nor my husband drink alcohol, and Wayne had fun creating different virgin drinks for us to try. Dian, at the front desk, went above and beyond to help make sure we had everything just the way we wanted it. Everyone was ready with an easy smile and willing to do anything they could to accomodate us.

We would recommend getting a massage while you stay. The spa is going to be gorgeous when it is completed, but it didn't matter that it wasn't done while we were there. We had our couples massage seaside, under a white fabric-draped awning, and nothing could be more relaxing than hearing only the sea crash against the reefs, feel the cool sea breeze, smell the salty air and the abundant flowers, all while having a relaxing massage. Michelle gave me the best massage of my life, and my husband said that Daniesha did a very good job as well.

We ate many of our meals at The Blue Mahoe, on site. We only went all-inclusive one day, since we were out and about during lunch, but the other days we got the package that included breakfast and dinner. For breakfast, we enjoyed the omelettes, muffins, fresh juice and akee and saltfish (the Jamaican national dish). The best thing we had at lunch was the coconut shrimp. Dinner was delicious. We really enjoyed the appetizers, so order more than one! The coconut shrimp and calamari were our favorite, but the bruchetta and lobster skewers were a close second. Our favorite entrees were the scotch bonnet chicken, the surf and turf, and the coconut snapper, but everything was very good. Our favorite sides were the bammy and the callaloo.

All in all, we were surprised how relaxing and peaceful it was. We really felt that we had made the right decision going with a smaller, boutique type property, especially after visiting seven mile beach with it's crowds of people and more commercial feel. This is the perfect getaway if you want peace, quiet, relaxation and beauty, but in easy reach of lots of exciting and interesting things to do and see. We would love to go back!!

Room Tip: The octogans (cottages) are the most unique and have the best view. Octogan 1 is close to the resta...
11 Thank bryanfam
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
It was a pleasure to have you as guests of The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! It is always nice to receive positive comments & feedback from our guests. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere and customer service from our team. We must agree, the snorkelling along the reefs is spectacular! Until next time, one love.
Reviewed April 7, 2012

My husband and I spent a week in Jamaica to celebrate my recent retirement and birthday. We took a day trip from our resort in Montego Bay to Negril to try out the new spa and to visit friends at another resort. We're from Ottawa and are familiar with the Spa Day Retreat in Kanata so we wanted to see what the Negril spot was like. It was fabulous! We only had time for massages and wine at the bar but we plan to return for a stay next time we're in Jamaica. Looking forward to it!

• Stayed March 2012
5 Thank Poseygirl
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the trip from Montego Bay to visit The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel for massages & wine! What a pleasure to host such special clients of ours from our SPA's in Ottawa, Canada at our new location in Negril, Jamaica! We trust you enjoyed your experience with us and look forward to having you as guests at any one of our international locations again soon! One love.
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed April 4, 2012

In a nutshell: beautifully designed and landscaped property, gorgeous views (it's on Negril shoreline, so what do you expect?) , excellent food, warm hospitality from staff AND owners.

The property isn't much to look at from the road; but once inside you're in for a treat. Each room is a separate little octagonal (8-sided) thatched-roof cottage with stone walls, a patio facing the sea, and lots of windows. I fell in love with the raised ceiling and exposed wooden beams. Except for the lack of tv and telephone (at the time of my visit they were still working on the property), the room was PERFECT. And if you REALLY want to retreat, the lack of phone and tv will be perfect for you!

Now let's talk about the restaurant. More wooden beams in the ceiling, and lots of beautiful blue mahoe wood floors. Lots of sea views. FANTASTIC food. I had a PERFECT jerk chicken salad; my colleague had a traditional Jamaican coco bread stuffed with lobster. The staff was warm, friendly, informal yet professional, and the owners are very hands-on and friendly but unintrusive.

This trip was for work, but I've made a note that my husband and I MUST return to this hotel to... Retreat.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the Octagons. Those have the sea views and are simply charming!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Nicole T
Thank you for taking the time to write this fabulous review of The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We welcome positive comments and feedbck and are thrilled to learn of your experience with us. Our team is delighted that you enjoyed the atmosphere and warm hospitality. In the future, we would be pleased to enhance your stay by supplying a flat screen television in your accomodations, a service we offer upon special request. Guests are also provided a personal cell phone per/room for access to room service, the SPA, or the Front Desk. This phone is also loaded with international minutes (in Canada & US calls only) for free calls back home from the privacy of your room. We look forward to your return! One love.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
#8 of 81 in Negril
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!