“I Had the time of my life @ Merrill's One”

Merrils Beach Resort II
Ranked #47 of 81 Hotels in Negril
East Hampton, New York
“I Had the time of my life @ Merrill's One”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Me and my two girlfriends decided we wanted to visit Jamaica this year because our birthdays fall in the summer. We are all 20something. I checked all the all-inclusive resorts around Negril (that's the part of JA that attracted me the most) the resorts were all expensive and we didn't want to be trapped on the resort. I'd been googling different night clubs for months and I wanted to visit them! During my search I visited ONE STOP NEGRIL and they had all the beach and cliff resorts listed w/rates and pics. Merrill's was the same rate as a lot of other resorts and they had all inclusive meals and drinks. So we booked it. One Stop staff was incredible, they really made it work for us. (There was a tiny issue about a voucher though. One stop didn't give me any voucher to print out. I didn't know what they were talking about. We had to let the resort take a photo copy of our passports. Issue resolved.) I even arranged for the shuttle to pick us up from Montego bay airport thru One Stop. Winston came and got us and took us on the shortest hour and 15min ride i've ever been on! Very Scenic and Beautiful. We arrived at Hotel, it was very beautiful with all the plants and sand (at nite it's dreamy) the rooms are old fashioned and... whatever. Their was a baby lizard in my room! We called the staff and they came to save us but the tiny lizard disappeared. I found him the next morning in the bathroom and put him in a cup with a top and set him free. I never do things like that, Jamaica had me open! I digress. We were in the middle of everything!!! Excellent location! We walked to the clubs... we kind of walked everywhere except the Cambio to exchange our money. We were afraid at first walking around at night to these clubs. Its very very foreign, like a movie. But security said it was safe and it really was. People were everywhere walking to the club too! We had to be careful and aware... you can't be all loose flashing money, pissy drunk getting in cars and nonsense like that! Same safety precautions you would take at home apply here. I could always see the potential danger but use your good judgement and have fun. The people are beautiful. They treat us with respect and love. Everyting crisp like a biscuit! The food was phenomenal!!!!! OMG!!!! DELICIOUS!!! We got down... like seconds. Drinks had us covered! Awesome bartenders John and Atall. They finished us in a ver nice way. We had our drinks on the sand, in the water... everywhere. Food rocked. Mmmmm. I rode jet skis, visited roaring river. Wow spiritual experience. Got a baptism. It was just the best. Visit Merrill's one.
PS the resort is occupied by europeans, their very nice but they refuse to tip the hardworking staff. Very... uppity (sorry) but I'm American I'm used to all that. At the end of the day we all partied and had fun, Europeans and tourist from other resorts enjoy the night life too!!! We were surprised to see lil Becky in some of these spots. It just made us feel safe. Check out my pics. Please go... Irie!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank MsTiffini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed June 10, 2010

The staff treated my family so great that I was truly delighted. They especially treated my 5 year old son like a little prince...spoiled him rotten! He enjoyed his 5th birthday and I enjoyed my 30th. They went out of their way to make us food that was not in the buffet, or bring us food to take back to the room when the buffet line closed at 9 pm. It was always with a "no problem mon" attitude too. After experiencing the nasty attitudes at the airport, getting to Merril's and being surrounded by friends was a breath of fresh air. Oh, and did I mention the beach is GORGEOUS??? I've been to Negril lots of times and stayed in various hotels, and I can say the staff at Merril's has been the best yet. Hello to Rasheeda, Shannon, Andrew, Jermain (the best bartender in Negril), Christopher, Miss Viola, Donnette, Marlon, Danielle, and the list goes on.

The only thing a little offputting at times is the pushy beach vendors. Most will just go away after a polite "no thank you" but some will stay there and continue to annoy you. An assertive "no" will do the trick. Plus, there is always a Merril's guard who sits on the beach to watch your back and sort of fend off the aggressive vendors.

This is the least expensive all inclusive resort you will find in Negril and it is waaaay nicer than Merril's 1. We had to move our room from Merril's 1 the second day because it was so small and the bathrooms were tiny. Merril's II has larger rooms, with a full bath, and they look much better kept.

There are tons of popular beach bars within a stone's throw of Merril's II so if you get tired of the buffet food, there are many restaurant choices about.

I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank KStarrr
london
Reviewed June 6, 2010

we arrived at merrills 11 v late on the 1st evening even although they stopped serving food at 9pm they had held the buffet open for us which was really appreciated.
we were fortunate enough to be given an upgrade from a room to a suite, which was fabulous, 2 steps and we were on the beach for a beachbum like me that was pure heaven.
the staff in the restuarant and bar were very helpful and friendly, especially ryon from the bar in merrills111.
we wandered all over negril, went to me yard risky business, alfredos, tourist information had a few drinks with max, and mr brown went to a few other bars felt comfortable everywhere we went.
hired a cab to go to st annes, cheers donald, had a fab time.
have been to jamaica quite a few times merrills was a fantastic base

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank beachbum1888
Fairburn , Ga
Reviewed March 10, 2010

The Hotel is small. The staff are very warm and friendly. I like it here , because it's in Negril. It's All-inclusive. I feel very safe. No problems. You have $5 a day wifi available in the lobby(great). You have Jamaican food served for breakfast , lunch & dinner. You can also eat at Merrills I,II, or III which are located very close to each other. If there is something you want cooked, you can request it. We did . The fried chicken was very good. We asked for dry fried chicken , with no sauce, please.
Great food, Great Location, Nice Staff, Priceless. Nice goes a long way with me. Please remember to tip. I mean from the dining room to the person who cleans your room. It makes a BIG difference. Trust me. I would come back to Merrills II. I just noticed something yesterday. I've seen a few jamaicans speaking Italian. WOW. I need to catch up.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 1laneice
merrimac
Reviewed March 9, 2010

1st time to Negril.But not to Jamaica.
We had a fantastic time. It was everything we wanted. Was clean and our suite 1003 had new drapes and new couch with 2 new chairs.goldish leatther, Very nice! The grounds were clean. I like the food. but hubby is somewhat picky. NO!!!!!! a whole lot picky.But if you didn't like what Merrills 11 served you could go to the other ones 1+3 to see what they were serving. Our just walk out the gate and get a chicken. They had plent of fresh fruits and veggies daily and The pasta was very good as well. It is a small resort with only 48 rooms and it is quiet and peaceful.
Couple little hic cups along the way but attended to immediately
1. the a/c worked great for the 1st 5 days then it decided to freeze up>>They were right there to fix it but. naturally it happened at 5pm and they were not able to get the part they needed to fix it. They gave us a room key to an empty room in case our room got too hot and we could not sleep. but the fans were all we needed that night. So we did not use the other room. I t was a lovely room though. And all was fixed the next morning and worked GREAT the last 5 days
WE lost power on day . so had no water for the afternoon. but come evening it was up and running.......So not too bad at all.
The employess are all so nice and work really hard.
The beach well..Was Gorgeous!I wanted to see sunsets and Boy o Boy did I see some STUNNING ones
I would go back for sure.
Was safe to leave the resort.We did many times Went to the stores along the road and talked with some lovely locals
Went to Ricks one night to see the sunset..Got better pics for the balcony at Merrills than at Ricks but We have never been and wanted to see it. Crazy crowded..We took a route taxi to Ricks. cost us 5 bucks! Stayed just long enough to see one cliff dive and the sunset. Which is all I wanted to see any way.
Went to the y/s falls that was a beautiful place. saw the crocs on the Black River Tour.That was cool.Then to The Appleton Rum Factory. That was interesting as well.
Had a GREAT time Now to get back to reality.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sunnydaysawait
New York
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Great beaches, kind a friendly staff, good food, Romance, Romance and plenty of other stuff to go with everything.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brighteyebee
Maryland
Reviewed May 26, 2009

This was the best vacation ever! I enjoyed the food, the people, the atmosphere of friendliness, and most of all the ocean. Everything was great -- from the maid service to the front office. There is nothing fancy about the room, but who stays in the room!! The beach is the greatest.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends