“The staff at Merril's II was amazing. Reasonable price for comfy rooms.”

Merrils Beach Resort II
Ranked #49 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Frederick, Maryland
“The staff at Merril's II was amazing. Reasonable price for comfy rooms.”
Reviewed June 10, 2010

The staff treated my family so great that I was truly delighted. They especially treated my 5 year old son like a little prince...spoiled him rotten! He enjoyed his 5th birthday and I enjoyed my 30th. They went out of their way to make us food that was not in the buffet, or bring us food to take back to the room when the buffet line closed at 9 pm. It was always with a "no problem mon" attitude too. After experiencing the nasty attitudes at the airport, getting to Merril's and being surrounded by friends was a breath of fresh air. Oh, and did I mention the beach is GORGEOUS??? I've been to Negril lots of times and stayed in various hotels, and I can say the staff at Merril's has been the best yet. Hello to Rasheeda, Shannon, Andrew, Jermain (the best bartender in Negril), Christopher, Miss Viola, Donnette, Marlon, Danielle, and the list goes on.

The only thing a little offputting at times is the pushy beach vendors. Most will just go away after a polite "no thank you" but some will stay there and continue to annoy you. An assertive "no" will do the trick. Plus, there is always a Merril's guard who sits on the beach to watch your back and sort of fend off the aggressive vendors.

This is the least expensive all inclusive resort you will find in Negril and it is waaaay nicer than Merril's 1. We had to move our room from Merril's 1 the second day because it was so small and the bathrooms were tiny. Merril's II has larger rooms, with a full bath, and they look much better kept.

There are tons of popular beach bars within a stone's throw of Merril's II so if you get tired of the buffet food, there are many restaurant choices about.

I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank KStarrr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed June 6, 2010

we arrived at merrills 11 v late on the 1st evening even although they stopped serving food at 9pm they had held the buffet open for us which was really appreciated.
we were fortunate enough to be given an upgrade from a room to a suite, which was fabulous, 2 steps and we were on the beach for a beachbum like me that was pure heaven.
the staff in the restuarant and bar were very helpful and friendly, especially ryon from the bar in merrills111.
we wandered all over negril, went to me yard risky business, alfredos, tourist information had a few drinks with max, and mr brown went to a few other bars felt comfortable everywhere we went.
hired a cab to go to st annes, cheers donald, had a fab time.
have been to jamaica quite a few times merrills was a fantastic base

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank beachbum1888
Fairburn , Ga
Reviewed March 10, 2010

The Hotel is small. The staff are very warm and friendly. I like it here , because it's in Negril. It's All-inclusive. I feel very safe. No problems. You have $5 a day wifi available in the lobby(great). You have Jamaican food served for breakfast , lunch & dinner. You can also eat at Merrills I,II, or III which are located very close to each other. If there is something you want cooked, you can request it. We did . The fried chicken was very good. We asked for dry fried chicken , with no sauce, please.
Great food, Great Location, Nice Staff, Priceless. Nice goes a long way with me. Please remember to tip. I mean from the dining room to the person who cleans your room. It makes a BIG difference. Trust me. I would come back to Merrills II. I just noticed something yesterday. I've seen a few jamaicans speaking Italian. WOW. I need to catch up.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 1laneice
merrimac
Reviewed March 9, 2010

1st time to Negril.But not to Jamaica.
We had a fantastic time. It was everything we wanted. Was clean and our suite 1003 had new drapes and new couch with 2 new chairs.goldish leatther, Very nice! The grounds were clean. I like the food. but hubby is somewhat picky. NO!!!!!! a whole lot picky.But if you didn't like what Merrills 11 served you could go to the other ones 1+3 to see what they were serving. Our just walk out the gate and get a chicken. They had plent of fresh fruits and veggies daily and The pasta was very good as well. It is a small resort with only 48 rooms and it is quiet and peaceful.
Couple little hic cups along the way but attended to immediately
1. the a/c worked great for the 1st 5 days then it decided to freeze up>>They were right there to fix it but. naturally it happened at 5pm and they were not able to get the part they needed to fix it. They gave us a room key to an empty room in case our room got too hot and we could not sleep. but the fans were all we needed that night. So we did not use the other room. I t was a lovely room though. And all was fixed the next morning and worked GREAT the last 5 days
WE lost power on day . so had no water for the afternoon. but come evening it was up and running.......So not too bad at all.
The employess are all so nice and work really hard.
The beach well..Was Gorgeous!I wanted to see sunsets and Boy o Boy did I see some STUNNING ones
I would go back for sure.
Was safe to leave the resort.We did many times Went to the stores along the road and talked with some lovely locals
Went to Ricks one night to see the sunset..Got better pics for the balcony at Merrills than at Ricks but We have never been and wanted to see it. Crazy crowded..We took a route taxi to Ricks. cost us 5 bucks! Stayed just long enough to see one cliff dive and the sunset. Which is all I wanted to see any way.
Went to the y/s falls that was a beautiful place. saw the crocs on the Black River Tour.That was cool.Then to The Appleton Rum Factory. That was interesting as well.
Had a GREAT time Now to get back to reality.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sunnydaysawait
New York
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Great beaches, kind a friendly staff, good food, Romance, Romance and plenty of other stuff to go with everything.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brighteyebee
Maryland
Reviewed May 26, 2009

This was the best vacation ever! I enjoyed the food, the people, the atmosphere of friendliness, and most of all the ocean. Everything was great -- from the maid service to the front office. There is nothing fancy about the room, but who stays in the room!! The beach is the greatest.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sunbunny_9
N.D.
Reviewed February 7, 2009

It was my third trip to Negril, I've stayed at the Riu and Sandals.
I was very pleased with the food for the size of the resort,the grounds and rooms were clean.
The motherboard crashed on the P.C. but, there is a internet / phone cafe real close to Merrils. (few hundred feet)
I did have ants when I left my tums out on the bath counter, (room 902)the tums were completly covered in ants, and i did have ants when i left my sandals on the floor with sand on them. not sure where they come from?
Other wise the staff has some good and some bad just like every other resort. The security is very cool and keeps a good eye on things.
It is a very short walk to the food,drinks, and beach from every room at II.
The surrounding beach bars do have bands at night, but from II, I never heard much of anything.
Great for the money in my opinion.
If you are looking for ocean view, Merrils II has only (4) of them room #'s 1000,1001,1003, 1004...my first trip with out an ocean view, i did miss it.
Pogo who works for Rasta Mikey's boat (right in front of Merrils II is a good kid) have him take you out to the reef or island.
Very close to shopping, Alfreds,Jungle ect.

• Liked — very little walking needed to shop, eat,drink,sleep and the beach
  • Disliked — low number of ocean view rooms
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank akota